ImageImage

Some Things you Should Know About Scott Skiles....

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#13 » by wichmae » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:46 am

bullzman23 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That's a bit silly. I can understand why you'd disregard Thomas and Curry, but the entire Bulls team? This team was regarded as the hardest working team before this season. Don't you think there's something odd about a team like that quitting on their coach?

A great coach finds ways to get contributions from the roster he has. With Skiles we often had to get vanish guys he disliked. I know right now, after this season, that seems like a good thing. But it'll catch up with you. The communication thing is a huge issue, though. Unless he has grown from it, it will be his downfall again.

actually no not at all

the Bulls have had major improper roster moves for a while now, couple that with a majorly ineffective GM and you have a recipe for disaster...

Skiles took thge fal for a mess he didnt create and everyone has since semi seen the light of that mess..

Ben Wallace gone
Gordon still underachieving
Bulls still losing..

Skiles was the best fit possible there and I wish the Bulls luck with their new coach but when you fire a guy (coach) for GM ineptitude I take heart to that... sorry...
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,553

Post#14 » by th87 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:47 am

Well, we could be successful, but it will be attached to a time bomb.
yuedar
Rookie
And1: 58

Post#15 » by yuedar » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:47 am

its the wrong hire and will only continue to set this franchise back further and further.

You know the more I think about it the more I realise how clueless most of you posters are. You all bitch and complain about redd and all praise bogut to be great.

Ok thats fine.

Now read all those quotes again with that thinking. Notice how all the bigmen this man has coached has failed with him and moved on to do bigger and better things (exception of curry I guess) and tell me how you see bogut fitting into a skiles team. Probably will be ended with him being traded. Thats how.
fudgie
RealGM
And1: 701

Post#16 » by fudgie » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:50 am

I think Skiles is a great coach for getting a team from the gutter to respectability but he wears out his welcome after a while. This article gives a good insight into Skiles:

[url]http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/May-2007/Bull-Buster/[url]

The gorilla mascot, all fake fur and fury, flies onto the court in his purple-and-gold Phoenix Suns jersey and pummels his chest. Hard-bodied dancers bump and grind to molar-rattling hip-hop. As the Suns players bound toward their bench in a flurry of high-fives, the balding man in the dark suit just glares.

It is a Sunday night at US Airways Center in Phoenix and the home-team crowd, glum for most of the game, roars with almost three quarters' worth of bottled-up frustration. Until now, the Chicago Bulls had dominated the game-building a 15-point lead on one of the hottest teams in the NBA. The Bulls had seemed poised and scrappy, playing the kind of ball sorely missed since the days of you-know-who. Then Phoenix began draining three-point shots as if they were cups of beer. The Bulls, who minutes earlier had snapped passes around the perimeter, now look like an over-40 rec club that has raided the cooler.

The Bulls' coach, Scott Skiles, has seen enough. Leaping to his feet, he snaps his jacket shut and shoots his cuffs. "Time out!" he screams. His piercing dark brown eyes flash, withering his players as they skulk to the bench. With all deliberate venom, he forms, then spits, the f-word.

To anyone who has watched Skiles coach the Bulls these past three years, his face in such moments limns a familiar portrait-a sneering, jaw-clenching mask inflamed by muscle-knotting fury. Chucky the horror movie doll with a clipboard.

It is the kind of reaction that earned him the reputation-first in college, then as a pro player, and later as coach at Phoenix-as belligerent, thin-skinned, a walking temper tantrum, someone with the short fuse (and idiocy) to take a swing at his Orlando Magic teammate, the seven-foot one-inch Shaquille O'Neal. "He's as joyless and red-assed as always, I assume?" says Brian Schmitz, a beat reporter for the Orlando Sentinel covering the Magic. "How intense is Scott Skiles?" adds the Magic's senior vice president, Pat Williams. "He came out of his mother's womb in a three-point stance."

But his temper aside, Skiles, 43, has always impressed with his passion, his command of the game, and his teaching ability. "Even as a player, he was keeping a little book of different things about the game, plays, scenarios," recalls former Atlanta forward Tom Gugliotta, who played under Skiles in Phoenix. "You won't find a more organized, well-prepared, smarter coach. There are guys who might not like it, but that's because he demands a lot."

Since Skiles took over the Bulls in 2003, he and general manager John Paxson have stocked the team with players who seem to buy into the coach's grinding, old-fashioned, defense-first approach to the game. "I'll put him with anybody in terms of knowing the game," says point guard Chris Duhon, who played at Duke under hoops sage Mike Krzyzewski. Adds point guard Kirk Hinrich, "He's old school. I think that's just what he believes-coming in and giving a hard day's work." Luol Deng, the rising star also out of Duke, says that despite Skiles's notoriously hard practices and demanding attitude, "I like playing for him. He has a way of getting us to play hard every night."

And though his public face rarely appears to budge beyond a range of emotions between dour and distant, on rare occasions-even in the midst of a bad patch such as the one this night in Phoenix-he will let something slip: a smile. Seriously. Chucky does smile.

"A guy asked me on Fox this morning-first question:
I'd always thought of propane as a dignified lady. But she can also be a dirty girl.
Captain Erv
General Manager
And1: 78

Post#17 » by Captain Erv » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:51 am

yuedar wrote:its the wrong hire and will only continue to set this franchise back further and further.

You know the more I think about it the more I realise how clueless most of you posters are. You all bitch and complain about redd and all praise bogut to be great.

Ok thats fine.

Now read all those quotes again with that thinking. Notice how all the bigmen this man has coached has failed with him and moved on to do bigger and better things (exception of curry I guess) and tell me how you see bogut fitting into a skiles team. Probably will be ended with him being traded. Thats how.

Yeah, Corie Blount and Marcus Fizer have been perennial all-stars since they escaped the wrath of Skiles and Tyrus Thomas has really turned out to be worthy of that #2 pick, much better than Aldridge.

Let's be real, Chandler did turn out to be pretty good, but it wasn't like he was bad with Chicago. Not to mention CP3 makes him ten times better.
Bucks_Revenge
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#18 » by Bucks_Revenge » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:51 am

didn't Kidd bash Byron Scott...didnt Thomas bash Karl..and who the hell is this Eddy Curry guy.
bango_the_buck
Bench Warmer
And1: 149

Post#19 » by bango_the_buck » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:52 am

bullzman23 wrote:More talented guys will be benched for scrappier ones and initially it may seem like the right thing to do but eventually it'll prevent you from succeeding.

That this did not happen with our team this year is one of the major reasons we did not succeed IMO.
Scott Skiles on being compared by reporters to Hall of Fame coach Pat Riley: "If I thought you guys knew anything, I'd be flattered."
wichmae
RealGM

Post#20 » by wichmae » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:53 am

Bucks_Revenge wrote:didn't Kidd bash Byron Scott...didnt Thomas bash Karl..and who the hell is this Eddy Curry guy.

your best post ever
wichmae
RealGM

Post#21 » by wichmae » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:55 am

if I had a buck for every player that bitched about Sloan, Phil, or hell even Karl I would be rich...

F**k it 50c I would be rich...
bango_the_buck
Bench Warmer

Post#22 » by bango_the_buck » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:57 am

yuedar wrote:Now read all those quotes again with that thinking. Notice how all the bigmen this man has coached has failed with him and moved on to do bigger and better things (exception of curry I guess) and tell me how you see bogut fitting into a skiles team. Probably will be ended with him being traded. Thats how.

Please. If anyone on the Bucks roster is a 'Skiles guy', it will be Bogut...
Scott Skiles on being compared by reporters to Hall of Fame coach Pat Riley: "If I thought you guys knew anything, I'd be flattered."
Captain Erv
General Manager
And1: 78

Post#23 » by Captain Erv » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:59 am

Let us not forget that this happens every time we, and any other team for that matter, are about to acquire a new player or coach. Fans from their former teams are going to come over here and spew any and all negative things they can come up with.

As for Bucks fans who disagree, I mean come on, not every single person is going to be thrilled about every transaction that is made. We all have our opinions and at the end of the day it just comes down to wins and losses.
bullzman23
RealGM
And1: 3

Post#24 » by bullzman23 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:03 am

wichmae wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

actually no not at all

the Bulls have had major improper roster moves for a while now, couple that with a majorly ineffective GM and you have a recipe for disaster...

Ineffective how? I'm guessing you're going to bring up Kobe, KG, and Gasol. Here are some tidbits that the popular media likes to ignore:

1.) The Bulls-Lakers-Kings agreed to a Kobe trade. Kobe vetoed it and wouldn't accept any trade that involved Deng or Wallace. Kobe (allegedly) made it clear that he didn't want to play with Hinrich so a trade was agreed upon where the Lakers would get Artest, Wallace, and picks while the Kings would get Hinrich. Kobe vetoed that too.

2.) The Bulls made multiple offers for Kevin Garnett but the Wolves passed every-time. They summer before he was traded the Bulls offered Luol Deng, Tyson Chandler, and the 2nd pick. The year KG was traded the Bulls no longer had the contracts to make a deal work financially.

3.) Gasol - A Memphis paper reported last week that the Bulls offered Tyrus Thomas, Joakim Noah, and Andres Nocioni for Pau Gasol. The Grizzlies rejected and elected to trade for Kwame Brown. Apparently the Bulls could have had him if they signed and traded PJ Brown but Reinsdorf, like most owners, was unwilling to pay the tax. That's not Paxson's fault.

Skiles took thge fal for a mess he didnt create and everyone has since semi seen the light of that mess..

He isn't entirely to blame, but coaches have shelf-lives. He couldn't communicate with his players and the after driving the players up the wall they quit on him. That's his weakness as a coach. Also, the NY Times reported that Scott Skiles told the Bulls that he "wasn't the right man" for the job and asked to be let go. Who knows if this is true, but he "quit" on the Suns as well and Paxson-Skiles were close enough where they agreed to handle the situation so it wouldn't look like Skiles quit on a team in the middle of a season again.

Skiles was the best fit possible there and I wish the Bulls luck with their new coach but when you fire a guy (coach) for GM ineptitude I take heart to that... sorry...

Again, it's not all of Paxson's fault. The Bulls' team has/had two huge holes. A small backcourt and a weak front court. Paxson addressed these two holes by drafting Thomas and Sefolosha. Skiles refused to play Thabo completely, electing to play Duhon. There'd be times many times where we'd have Hinrich, Gordon, and Duhon in at the same time with Duhon defending LeBron James. There was even a time where he was matched up against Antawn Jamison. He also disliked Tyrus Thomas and it was reported that it was personal. During his rookie season, the Bulls had something like a 20-5 record whenever Thomas played at least 20 minutes. This season Thomas was yanked from the starting lineup after about three games even though he played fairly well.... Wallace and Hinrich had been terrible.
girlygirl wrote:Sorry, I just don't think MJ changed the game all that much.

www.theslickscript.com
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,049

Post#25 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:08 am

Captain Erv wrote:I stopped reading after I saw the name Tim Thomas.
bullzman23
RealGM
And1: 3

Post#26 » by bullzman23 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:10 am

Captain Erv wrote:Let us not forget that this happens every time we, and any other team for that matter, are about to acquire a new player or coach. Fans from their former teams are going to come over here and spew any and all negative things they can come up with.

As for Bucks fans who disagree, I mean come on, not every single person is going to be thrilled about every transaction that is made. We all have our opinions and at the end of the day it just comes down to wins and losses.

That's not my intention. Skiles is a very good coach. I said that. He will make you better, but at at the same time don't be shocked when he benches Yi Jianlian for Michael Ruffin or decides to play Bobby Simmons or Desmond Mason at PF. Great coach...but someone said it best. He's success in the mold of a time bomb.
girlygirl wrote:Sorry, I just don't think MJ changed the game all that much.

www.theslickscript.com
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#27 » by Epicurus » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:12 am

Balls2TheWalls wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I felt like this before, but I really think that I have 100% trust in what Hammond is doing right now. He has first hand knowledge of Carlisle, and if he thinks that Skiles is his man, then more power to him.

You seem to be assuming that Carlisle wanted the Bucks job, but Skiles was prefered by the Bucks' gm. Very, very doubtful.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#28 » by wichmae » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:16 am

Again, it's not all of Paxson's fault. The Bulls' team has/had two huge holes. A small backcourt and a weak front court. Paxson addressed these two holes by drafting Thomas and Sefolosha. Skiles refused to play Thabo completely, electing to play Duhon. There'd be times many times where we'd have Hinrich, Gordon, and Duhon in at the same time with Duhon defending LeBron James. There was even a time where he was matched up against Antawn Jamison. He also disliked Tyrus Thomas and it was reported that it was personal. During his rookie season, the Bulls had something like a 20-5 record whenever Thomas played at least 20 minutes. This season Thomas was yanked from the starting lineup after about three games even though he played fairly well.... Wallace and Hinrich had been terrible.

I really shouldnt comment more but I will say that one two and three are not accurate...

thank you for your input and good luck on the season.....
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#29 » by Epicurus » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:16 am

bango_the_buck wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Please. If anyone on the Bucks roster is a 'Skiles guy', it will be Bogut...

True in so many ways.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#30 » by europa » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:16 am

don't be shocked when he benches Yi Jianlian for Michael Ruffin

If Yi's game doesn't improve by a helluva lot, he'll deserve to get benched for Michael Ruffin.
Nothing will not break me.
bango_the_buck
Bench Warmer

Post#31 » by bango_the_buck » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:17 am

Epicurus wrote:You seem to be assuming that Carlisle wanted the Bucks job, but Skiles was prefered by the Bucks' gm. Very, very doubtful.

I'm not so sure. It seems as though Carlisle is/was a candidate for the Bucks and Bulls jobs but said he preferred going to the team with a good center and three point shooters. I think that description fits the Bucks much more so than the Bulls (though I'm sure you'll say it describes neither)...
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,740

Post#32 » by emunney » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:18 am

yuedar wrote:you guys really just don't have a clue...

yuedar wrote:I'd rather have that ex pacers coach.

Well, at least you're informed. Think you can wrassle up a name, you NBA coaching encyclopedia you?
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts

Return to Milwaukee Bucks