Josh Howard admits to smoking bud

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Birth of the Cool
Analyst
And1: 1,451

Post#21 » by Birth of the Cool » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:20 pm

"You got guys out there playing high every night," Oakley, who played in the NBA from the 1985-2004 seasons, told the New York Post in February 2001. "You got 60 percent of your league on marijuana."

A survey by the Rocky Mountain News revealed NBA players believe about 30 percent of those in the league use marijuana.

The News posed the question to 151 players. Of those, 59 were willing to give a percentage.

I'd say Oakley's #'s are close to the truth if you're talking about pot use away from actual games & most likely off-season (since you can get fined/suspended for pot use during the season).
LakerFanMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#22 » by LakerFanMan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:24 pm

On top of the fact that it's illegal, it IS bad for your body, and it IS a drug, in spite of what rediculously wrong misconceptions people seem to have about it.

On top of that, NBA (and other pro sport players) are role models for kids. Every time someone brings this fact up, someone comes along and goes, "not that role model thing again." The fact is though, it's true. Pro athletes are role models. Some young 10 year old hears that Josh Howard and "most" of the NBA players smoke weed and that kid may want to do it too.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#23 » by greenbeans » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:28 pm

LakerFanMan wrote:On top of the fact that it's illegal, it IS bad for your body, and it IS a drug, in spite of what rediculously wrong misconceptions people seem to have about it.

On top of that, NBA (and other pro sport players) are role models for kids. Every time someone brings this fact up, someone comes along and goes, "not that role model thing again." The fact is though, it's true. Pro athletes are role models. Some young 10 year old hears that Josh Howard and "most" of the NBA players smoke weed and that kid may want to do it too.
well then that kids parents need to instill some values in him. like a spine maybe??
B Calrissian
Head Coach
And1: 17

Post#24 » by B Calrissian » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:29 pm

LakerFanMan wrote:On top of the fact that it's illegal, it IS bad for your body, and it IS a drug, in spite of what rediculously wrong misconceptions people seem to have about it.

..and then he will die. Right officer Casey?
Police Chief Casey wrote:For starters it's against the law and against NBA rules.
greenbeans
RealGM

Post#25 » by greenbeans » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:30 pm

B Calrissian wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

seriously, whats the deal with the high horses??
kandiking
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#26 » by kandiking » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:30 pm

the only reason why this surprises me is that someone is stupid enough to say it.
Vindicater wrote:KWSN-Men is by far my favourite poster on realgm. He just takes so much punishment and just keeps coming back for more.
B Calrissian
Head Coach

Post#27 » by B Calrissian » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:32 pm

greenbeans wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

well then that kids parents need to instill some values in him. like a spine maybe??

Yeah. It is not like kids make their friends give them tats just because AI is their favorite player. Although that would be pretty funny.
awhite
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#28 » by awhite » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:33 pm

Alcohol is also a drug and is even worse for your body. Yet no one would blink if an NBA player admitted to the occasional drink in the offseason. I'm not a pothead, but I have no problem with marijuana. It's ridiculous that the government spends money and manpower combating its use, as if it posed some grave danger to society.

As long as his actions don't affect his workouts, practice, or play, and as long as he doesn't pose a danger to himself or others, I don't care what an NBA player chooses to do on his own time.
TheGreatPooter
Banned User

Post#29 » by TheGreatPooter » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:34 pm

---
greenbeans
RealGM

Post#30 » by greenbeans » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:35 pm

Yeah. It is not like kids make their friends give them tats just because AI is their favorite player. Although that would be pretty funny.

haha, i got my first one when i was 14 and no damn sports star had an influence on that mess
Canomad
Banned User
And1: 69

Post#31 » by Canomad » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:37 pm

i would be willing to bet melo smokes weed

i wonder if lebron james smokes any tree.
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,287

Post#32 » by jokeboy86 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:42 pm

You can tell he has no endorsements and really doesn't care about them. If I'm his agent I'm on the phone with him right now, cause he's making it even harder to do my job. Josh Howard doesn't have eye popping stats so its not like a team will sign him regardless if he smokes weed.
B Calrissian
Head Coach

Post#33 » by B Calrissian » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:42 pm

greenbeans wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

haha, i got my first one when i was 14 and no damn sports star had an influence on that mess

When I typed that I was picturing a 10 year old kid with "money bagz" on the top of his hand.
LakerFanMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#34 » by LakerFanMan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:43 pm

awhite wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
Alcohol is also a drug and is even worse for your body. Yet no one would blink if an NBA player admitted to the occasional drink in the offseason. I'm not a pothead, but I have no problem with marijuana. It's ridiculous that the government spends money and manpower combating its use, as if it posed some grave danger to society.

As long as his actions don't affect his workouts, practice, or play, and as long as he doesn't pose a danger to himself or others, I don't care what an NBA player chooses to do on his own time.

Alcohol, regardless of whether or not it should be, isn't illegal, which is a big difference. I, for one, agree with you. In fact, marijuana should be legalized, in my opinion. But anyone who thinks pro athletes don't influence kids is brain dead. I couldn't care less if he does, if he wants to have all the negative effects that come with it, that's his decision, but don't openly talk about it in the media.
greenbeans
RealGM

Post#35 » by greenbeans » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:46 pm

When I typed that I was picturing a 10 year old kid with "money bagz" on the top of his hand.

"im in fifffhhh grade and we talkin bout practicceeee??!?!?"
JoshB914
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#36 » by JoshB914 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:53 pm

LakerFanMan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Alcohol, regardless of whether or not it should be, isn't illegal, which is a big difference. I, for one, agree with you. In fact, marijuana should be legalized, in my opinion. But anyone who thinks pro athletes don't influence kids is brain dead. I couldn't care less if he does, if he wants to have all the negative effects that come with it, that's his decision, but don't openly talk about it in the media.

Well said. The "effects" of weed are anotehr story. There is no doubt in my mind that plenty of NBA players (and succesful people in general) light up and don't allow it to effect their work. It's just like alcohol in that respect (although less destructive to the body and not physicall addicting), doing it casually is perfectly fine as long as you are responsible with it and still get work done.

But the fact that Howard said this in public is idiotic. He's opening up the league to an awful period of PR from the ridiculous sports media (ESPN) and also threw fellow players who smoke under the bus as well. Why he decided to say this on the radio is beyond me.
Stinko Malenko
Bench Warmer

Post#37 » by Stinko Malenko » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:56 pm

Gooden looks like he is high 24/7
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,883

Post#38 » by meatball sub » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:09 pm

Man, somebody needs to tell Howard to stop being a dumbass. Doesn't he know people treat pot like **** meth in this country? I feel ya Josh, you didn't think it's a big deal. The problem is that for whatever reason *some* people think that marijuana is some forbidden herb that Lucifer rolls "cigarettes" with.
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#39 » by carrottop12 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:14 pm

He needs to realize that he represents a league that has a huge following from kids.

If he smokes weed on his own time, that is his choice, but don't bring it to the limelight. Parents don't want their kids getting tickets and having to go to court and pay huge fines for smoking weed, he may be able to afford it, but most parents can't.
wigglestrue
RealGM
And1: 170

Post#40 » by wigglestrue » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:20 pm

greenbeans wrote:any guesse as to what % of players get lifted???

id say 40+

I think it's between 50-75%.
0:01.8 A. Walker makes 3-pt shot from 28 ft (assist by E. Williams) +3 109-108
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_9qvmXiEuU

Return to The General Board