ImageImage

Scott Skiles: Yay or Nay?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Would You Be Happy With Skiles As The Head Coach?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 132

bucksbrewerspackersfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#21 » by bucksbrewerspackersfan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:32 am

trwi7 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

We could also do much worse (see previous three head coaches) *Activates Epi shield*

I know we can do worse than Skiles we could hire Manute Bol as our head coach and maybe have a lion out on the court he could kill before every home game. But why hire a guy that won't last here more than two years while we rebuild this team? I just don't see him lasting longer than that before he blows up. We need to think three or fours and just not hire a guy for a year or two. Because we know next season we are not going to be good. You think Skiles can go losing like that for a long time as a coach before he kills Redd or Mo?
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,402

Post#22 » by trwi7 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:35 am

bucksbrewerspackersfan wrote: But why hire a guy that won't last here more than two years while we rebuild this team?

To instill a defensive mindset into the team?
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#23 » by smauss » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:48 am

I voted "yes" Skiles is a definite upgrade and I think can improve the balance of this team. If Skiles wears out his welcome in the 2-3 years then I believe the next coach will inherit a much better team. That said, he is still 3rd on my personal list behind JVG, and Carlisle; and I'm a bit apprehensive about him.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
bogutsdad
Senior
And1: 0

Post#24 » by bogutsdad » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:57 am

I read quite a bit on skiles and am not a huge fan. I can only think he is getting the job because carlisle said no thanks. Why they didn't give carlisle an offer he couldn't refuse I don't know! However he will be an improvement but so would of anyone. Time will tell, fingers crossed!
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,762

Post#25 » by AussieBuck » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:12 pm

Not sure I can vote until I know if there are other options. I'd take him over our last two coaches in an instant but not over some other coaches mentioned recently.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#26 » by Rockmaninoff » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:14 pm

No. Would rather have Brown or Carlisle.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
vlietinho
Veteran
And1: 480

Post#27 » by vlietinho » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:19 pm

AussieBuck wrote:Not sure I can vote until I know if there are other options. I'd take him over our last two coaches in an instant but not over some other coaches mentioned recently.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,762

Post#28 » by AussieBuck » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:19 pm

Rockmaninoff wrote:No. Would rather have Brown or Carlisle.
Yeah but do they want to be here. Here's my theory:
The Bucks know the locker room is cancerous and are keeping Bogut and Yi while shipping out Mo and Redd. The plan is to rebuild which means some more short term pain. Do Carlisle or Brown want their winning %'s taking a hit while our young guys develop? I doubt it and from what I can gather Skiles likes coaching younger guys because they are not set in their ways.

My guess is Skiles is the only veteran coach available that is willing to put up with a rebuild.
NotYoAvgNBAFan
Junior
And1: 1

Post#29 » by NotYoAvgNBAFan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:21 pm

Bring in Skiles and re-hire Larry Krystowiak as one of his top assistants as they are very good friends who have a bond of trust and they probaly would work well together.

Coach K can brief Skiles on how to avoid the difficulties that he faced with some players and get some much need experience as an assistant for his next job.

Bring in Skiles and let him bring back in Larry Krystkowiak 'if he wants' and roll with them. Coach K and Skiles are excellent hires.

I said this two months ago they should have hired him the minute the Bulls released him, and had them switch jobs...

That would be nice to do now. :nod:
bucksbrewerspackersfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#30 » by bucksbrewerspackersfan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:11 pm

trwi7 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

To instill a defensive mindset into the team?

I just don't see him sticking around. I hope I am wrong but I just think it would be more useful to bring in a defensive minded coach who will be in the long term plans.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#31 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:13 pm

NotYoAvgNBAFan wrote:Bring in Skiles and re-hire Larry Krystowiak as one of his top assistants as they are very good friends who have a bond of trust and they probaly would work well together.

Coach K can brief Skiles on how to avoid the difficulties that he faced with some players and get some much need experience as an assistant for his next job.

Bring in Skiles and let him bring back in Larry Krystkowiak 'if he wants' and roll with them. Coach K and Skiles are excellent hires.

I said this two months ago they should have hired him the minute the Bulls released him, and had them switch jobs...

That would be nice to do now. :nod:

How the hell was that edited 3 times just to add 1 smiley? I mean its the same damn post, just with the emoticon there.
PaBuck
Sophomore

Post#32 » by PaBuck » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:20 pm

My guess is that Carlisle is the first choice. What we don't know is if he wants the job. If Skiles does, I would be happy with him as a proven NBA coach.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,257

Post#33 » by LUKE23 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:29 pm

Don't see how anyone can say nay if they have read up on Skiles.

All his teams have defended, all of them.

All of his teams have played in the top 11 in pace, so they are not slow it down teams, which should help the "I don't want to watch slow basketball" people.

Both teams he went to improved significantly in his first full season with the team with results to W-L.

His teams have knocked off the defending champions twice in his career (Spurs and Heat).

Many of his teams were inefficient offensively, however neither the Suns nor the Bulls had a real legit post scoring threat while he was coaching them (go look at the rosters) and were jumpshooting teams. If Bogut can continue his improvement, that should help immensiely.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,337

Post#34 » by crkone » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:40 pm

People from the Detroit board say to trust Hammond, so I will until I see clear signs of meddling or bad moves. Hopefully he will be a better GM than what Skiles got in Chicago, and actually produce a nice balanced roster that can hit the open shot and throw it down in the post while playing good defense. I think we have to better post options than the Bulls had in both Bogut and Simmons (underused).

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#35 » by jerrod » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:56 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Don't see how anyone can say nay if they have read up on Skiles.

i really wanted carlisle or van gundy (i thought van gundy was as much of a longshot as skiles was)
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#36 » by carmelbrownqueen » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:17 pm

I will say Yay, I suppose, he wasn't my first choice, but he fits right in with what Hammond said he wanted (a guy with more personality).. someone who could handle all the differing egos in play in the locker room. Seems like Skiles has a dominant personality and that might work well with some of our guys.

The odds are we aren't getting a complete makeover this summer so we need a guy in there that can handle what the players dish out (unlike his buddy who was soft and mushy when it cames to controlling that type of thing). My only issue is his tendency to wear on players and everyone else he deals with after a time.. my hope is that this won't happen soon, and we will be much improved by the time he has to take a bow.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
uesbc
Sophomore

Post#37 » by uesbc » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:20 pm

I would assume that hiring Skiles would make Bogut happy. He seems to like tough coaches.
showtimesam
Veteran
And1: 32

Post#38 » by showtimesam » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:21 pm

Right now with a Hammond/Skiles combo Milwaukee basketball is going to be something we can be proud of once again.

Its a blue collar town and I can't wait to see the excitement that builds for a team thats going to scratch and claw every night to get victories.

I'm extremely excited for next season.
showtimesam
Veteran
And1: 32

Post#39 » by showtimesam » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:28 pm

uesbc wrote:I would assume that hiring Skiles would make Bogut happy. He seems to like tough coaches.

I'm hoping its a good match. However, Bogut hasn't had a tough coach yet in the NBA, and in college he did clash with Majerus.

I think it should work well because Skiles will appreciate that Bogut actually recognizes his assignments on defense and is usually in the correct spots.

Also, people say skiles never worked with big men, but when he had Eddy Curry I remember he made a big effort of getting Curry the ball repeatedly early in the game to try and get him going.

I would expect the same with Bogut, but more touches later in the game as well since he's a better/smarter player.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#40 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:28 pm

If he's a ticking time bomb, then hopefully the team can get away with a short contract. Perhaps two years plus team option for two more years? If it's like that, then no worries at all.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks