ImageImage

Scott Skiles: Yay or Nay?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Would You Be Happy With Skiles As The Head Coach?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 132

europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Scott Skiles: Yay or Nay? 

Post#1 » by europa » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:42 am

It seems like a lot of people aren't happy that Skiles may be the next head coach. Though I would prefer Carlisle, hiring Skiles would get a big thumbs up from me.

So what says everyone here. If Skiles gets the job as expected are you going to be happy about that or not?
Nothing will not break me.
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,628

Post#2 » by Balls2TheWalls » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:44 am

I'm okay with Skiles.

However, I feel that the current make up of the team will doom any coach to fail. I think that Hammond really has his work cut out for him, and he needs to change the look of this roster.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,612

Post#3 » by th87 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:48 am

Nope.

I'm worried about his random anger. It always seemed like he was mad about something for no reason. Seemed personal in nature.

Carlisle's anger seems to have focus and purpose. I like focus and purpose.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#4 » by wichmae » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:50 am

happy to bring Scott in..

welcome Mr. Sampson to MIL if you accept....

:D
RAtheMONsession
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#5 » by RAtheMONsession » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:53 am

Id love to have Skiles. He brings many things to milwaukee that we havent had since george karl at the helm
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,612

Post#6 » by th87 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:01 am

We're hiring a time bomb. I'd love if we can win a title before it explodes.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,110

Post#7 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:07 am

Not my first or third choice, but he'd get a yay from me.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#8 » by Chuck Diesel » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:19 am

th87 wrote:We're hiring a time bomb. I'd love if we can win a title before it explodes.

Agree 420%.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#9 » by wichmae » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:19 am

Chuck Diesel wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Agree 420%.

lawl did you celebrate???

I cant at this stage in the game and yes I wish I could....
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#10 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:20 am

Chuck Diesel wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Agree 420%.

Chuck its the 21st now. :lol:
playmaker24
Sophomore

Post#11 » by playmaker24 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:22 am

I actually think that this team, and the ego's on it (looks at Mo and Redd) need a more aggressive person that won't take any ****. IF it's not Carlisle then i'm very happy for it to be skiles. Skiles would probably be the best coach this team has had since Karl left, and will provide a strong focus on defense and hard work. The offensive ability for this team will always be there, but if the defense can catch up, then next year could be a year of change.

Sure Skiles might go agro now and then, but i don't really care about that much. As long as the players aren't playing him like they did Larry K, and we actually get some wins. The fact that Skiles actually has a winning record as a coach is a good start.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 868

Post#12 » by Epicurus » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:33 am

playmaker24 wrote:I actually think that this team, and the ego's on it (looks at Mo and Redd) need a more aggressive person that won't take any ****. IF it's not Carlisle then i'm very happy for it to be skiles. Skiles would probably be the best coach this team has had since Karl left, and will provide a strong focus on defense and hard work. The offensive ability for this team will always be there, but if the defense can catch up, then next year could be a year of change.

The offensive ability was not there this season. I think the team was 22nd in offensive efficiency. It needs to be nurtured and not shown benign neglect or "creative destruction." And interesting thing to note is the number of times that defenses improve and offenses get worse. Skiles' teams have played good defense, but in Phoenix he inherited the league 3rd best offense and it dropped his first year to 16th ( while at the same time the 19th defense became the 3rd. After that he had th 22nd and 19th offense. In Chicago his teams were in offense, 29 of 29, 26 of 30, 23rd, 21, and 26th (although he was only at 25 games).

Again good defense often comes at the expense of the offense and pretty much winning 50 games or more requires being at least above average in both. Teams win on the basis of net points, not just offense or defense.
bango_the_buck
Bench Warmer
And1: 149

Post#13 » by bango_the_buck » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:37 am

Yay.
Scott Skiles on being compared by reporters to Hall of Fame coach Pat Riley: "If I thought you guys knew anything, I'd be flattered."
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,173
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#14 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:03 am

I said nay, but I am really on the fence.

Reasons for yay:
-If Hammond gets us a good, defensive-minded squad with minimal egos...Skiles is the man.
-Skiles will get the most out of guys he gels with.
-He has a pretty good track record.

Reasons for nay:
-Unless we blow up the team, there are a LOT of guys he will clash with...maybe that is a good thing because Redd/Mo/CV/etc. would maybe exert effort on D, but there is a very fine line to be crossed before there becomes a serious divide between players.
-He has seemed to be harsh on young, talented players with big egos. Yes, this is a good thing if you can clash enough to motivate and push them into success, but he seems to scuffle with them and they either play with a major chemistry issues or they sit deep on the bench.

Looking back at it, I think I would maybe change my answer to yay, especially with Hammond aboard.

I think Hammond is going to get us guys that are defensive-minded hungry kids like a Westbrook and I think Skiles will get the most out of our club.

Barring a Yi trade, we are going forward with Yi/Bogut up front for the future. I think Bogut and Skiles will be best of friends for the most part and while Yi might not have the balls yet that Skiles would want, I can't see Yi clashing with Skiles and hopefully Skiles can get him to develop some toughness inside.
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#15 » by paul » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:13 am

Yay from me. My only concern is that in his last few years with Chicago he never had a big man to work the offense through, which at this time is our biggest strength. But he's a smart guy and i can only assume he's capable of working that system.
BucksRuleAll22
Banned User

Post#16 » by BucksRuleAll22 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:24 am

What a horrible move. This is strike one for Hammond already. Anyone that suports this move is fine with the Bucks being decent but never good or great. This is what is wrong with the Bucks and alot of fans. The day Skiles takes any team to win a NBA title is the day Mo and Redd make the all defense team.
TheTrivium
Junior

Post#17 » by TheTrivium » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:40 am

LOL, Skiles is an above average, coach, what happened to the bucks hiring a big name, Skiles is like 4th on the list of the name coaches available.

WTF happened to Carlisle, or Van Gundy?
bucksbrewerspackersfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#18 » by bucksbrewerspackersfan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:20 am

I think we can do better than Skiles but if that is the best coach we can get we are in trouble. He is a time bomb look at the Suns and the Bulls. He burns bridges we need someone long term I view Skiles as a Larry Brown type good for a year or two. I am not saying his skill is the same as Larry Brown but with our roster next year unless we blow up the whole team he won't last that long. But if that is the best we get fine just shows us that we need a lot of work to get respect back from the league.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,402

Post#19 » by trwi7 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:22 am

bucksbrewerspackersfan wrote:I think we can do better than Skiles

We could also do much worse (see previous three head coaches) *Activates Epi shield*
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,248

Post#20 » by Sigra » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:26 am

If Redd stay then I am not happy with Skiles.

If Redd is traded then I am happy with Skiles.

I will vote "Yay" in hope that Redd is history

Return to Milwaukee Bucks