ImageImage

Hammond is the new GM of the Bucks-to hire vet (Carlisle?)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

pilprin
Pro Prospect
And1: 87

Post#81 » by pilprin » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:43 pm

I don't know why anyone would want to deal Yi.

He seems to fit the mold of a long athletic #4. As he physically develops, I think he could be a defensive player. Who knows, maybe he can play the 3 in the new coaches system.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#82 » by europa » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:43 pm

BobbyLight wrote:Wow, good news on the Bucks. I have forgotten what this feels like. A little excitment and some minor hope for next year.

If the Bucks land Carlisle this wil be very similar in my opinion to when the Bucks landed Karl. A completely new outlook with strong people (plural in this case; singular when Karl was hired) in charge to take over a rudderless ship sinking fast.
Nothing will not break me.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,419

Post#83 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:43 pm

A backup quarterback is always popular. Hopefully he can do a job now that he gets to call the shots.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
showtimesam
Veteran
And1: 32

Post#84 » by showtimesam » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:43 pm

Very good news, this gives me some strong hope for the future...

This offseason should be very interesting
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Re: Hammond is the new GM of the Bucks-to hire vet (Carlisl 

Post#85 » by carmelbrownqueen » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:44 pm

yoyomayoma wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3341664&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines
Honestly he was the guy that I always wanted anyway.. even over Walsh.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
benultimate
Bench Warmer
And1: 856

Post#86 » by benultimate » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:45 pm

..... cooooool, I think

I welcome this news but am not celebrating yet, who's to say he's better (and has more control) than Harris?
From everything I've heard about Hammond I have been impressed, but I just don't buy that he's a sure thing to turn this franchise around. Dare I say it, but Sund or King would have only accepted this job had they been promised full control (still, I believe Hammond >>>>>>>> Sund and King), Hammond may have just accepted the role in order to become an NBA GM.

but anyway, :clap: a reason to be excited for next season, lets go JH
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#87 » by Bernman » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:45 pm

Kohl's top candidate was Hammonds because he read on RealGM that he was the overwhelming favorite of fans, who after the bag revolt Herb finally cared to appease.

Hammonds read on RealGM that he was the overwhelming favorite of fans, and that was the reason for his change of heart, after his initial reticence to accept the Bucks' job.

Power of RealGM
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#88 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:46 pm

pilprin wrote:I don't know why anyone would want to deal Yi.
I can think of lots of reasons, but let's not have that argument here.

The question is: does the GM have the power to do so if that's what he wants to do?
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#89 » by jerrod » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:48 pm

hammond was my first choice as well, and i'd much prefer carlisle to brown.

it's a good day
Bucks_Revenge
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#90 » by Bucks_Revenge » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:48 pm

AkelaLoneWolf wrote:Congrats from a Raps fan; hopefully this marks a turning point for you guys.

I have no idea why but I am very offended by that comment....I just dont know why.
showtimesam
Veteran
And1: 32

Post#91 » by showtimesam » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:48 pm

adamcz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The question is: does the GM have the power to do so if that's what he wants to do?

I think everyones available, but clearly with Yi it would have to take a very nice return for it to happen.

We all know he means alot more to the bucks than just basketball, but he also has potential to be a good starting PF someday as well.
BucksRuleAll22
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#92 » by BucksRuleAll22 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:49 pm

pilprin wrote:I don't know why anyone would want to deal Yi.

He seems to fit the mold of a long athletic #4. As he physically develops, I think he could be a defensive player. Who knows, maybe he can play the 3 in the new coaches system.

I wen't on and on last season on how I would draft Yi after Durant and Oden. I still think Yi can be a great player but theirs to much bagage that comes with him that bothers me. I still don't know what to beleive on his age. I heard after the NBA season he has to play in China and thats gonna burn him out even more. He already got burnt out at the mid point of this NBA season. Also I think thiers a 0% chance Yi resigns after his contract is up.

I think you trade Yi because Yi can get you alot.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#93 » by carmelbrownqueen » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:49 pm

DrugBust wrote:Wow, huge. I'm very excited for this development, but the proof will be in the pudding. What type of control will he have? Will he run the draft? Sign his own coach?
My hope is that Hammond made it clear that he would in no way pursue a job with us if he isn't given control over this team the way he needs it. My hope also is that Kohl swallowed his pride and said that he and his cronies will give Hammond the necessary ability to do his job without their meddling but I won't hold my breath.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
pilprin
Pro Prospect
And1: 87

Post#94 » by pilprin » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:51 pm

adamcz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I hope he has he ability to do whatever is required help this team.

I just think Yi fits what he may like...but I could be wrong. If He was offered Brand for him, it's a no brainer, but I wouldn't look to move him.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#95 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:51 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:We all criticize Kohl for his many screwups. This time we have to give him credit. But yes it does all depend on the level of control.

But Hammond had a good gig where he was, has turned down other offers and certainly knows all about Kohl and his cronies. Him taking the job means those issues have hopefully been addressed. :pray:

Or it means that Kohl kept upping the price until Hammond was willing to ignore the issues with Kohl and his momes. That is almost certainly what occurred (although I cannot as of yet confirm this myself).

Hammond knew of the issues with the power structure on this franchise and this was why he had decided not to leave his Pistons job to be our GM.

Short of firing Ron Walter, I doubt there is anything Kohl could have done to convince Hammond that he would be serious about letting Hammond actually do his job here.

So it would seem natural that an increased compensation package is what got the job done here.

If that is the case, I will at least give Kohl credit for that though. He had so far not been willing to spend the kind of serious money it would take to actually land the kind of people we were pursuing. Let's hope that he will not go cheap on the coach now. Hopefully he lets Hammond pick the coach, but that still won't do any good if Kohl (perhaps/likely via the advice of Ron Walter, Mike Burr and possibly others) doesn't allow us to spend what it takes to get the coach that Hammond would want.

Allowing us to try and hire Carlisle (or another higher priced coach) is one thing, but allowing us to spend the money required to get Carlisle to actually accept an offer from us is another.

MickeyDavis wrote:Even if Kohl said all the right things we'll see what happens when Hammond wants to do a move that Ron Walter doesn't like. THAT'S when we'll see if there is a new Herb Kohl in town.

Absolutely.

Kohl should get no benefit of the doubt from anyone on anything at this point.

This is a step in the right direction though. And it could be a major step. Time will tell.

And I will not be ready to say that Senator Kohl has reformed his ways even after a season or two of getting out of Hammond's way if we are fortunate enough for that to occur. Kohl cannot just give Hammond a one or two year honeymoon period to run things as Hammond would run things, only for Kohl to become impatient or whatever and then resume his meddlesome ways at that point.

REDDzone wrote:Also soooo glad this guy will be in charge of the draft.

Hopefully.

But what makes you think he will be?

Kohl has stated that Dave Babcock will be in charge of the draft.

I haven't seen anything yet to indicate that has changed.

This is also a reminder that unless something has changed, Hammond is being forced to keep Dave Babcock. Let's not forget that.
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
BobbyLight
RealGM
And1: 1,546

Post#96 » by BobbyLight » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:51 pm

europa wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If the Bucks land Carlisle this wil be very similar in my opinion to when the Bucks landed Karl. A completely new outlook with strong people (plural in this case; singular when Karl was hired) in charge to take over a rudderless ship sinking fast.

If that happens (getting Carlise) on top of getting rid of one guard (Mo or Redd) I think I will have actual expectations for next year. For the first time in what seems like forever, things are looking up for the Bucks.
Bucks_Revenge
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#97 » by Bucks_Revenge » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:54 pm

I am 100% sure Kohl gave him full power..in the ESPN article it says it took allot of convincing for Hammond to leave the Pistons, he wouldn't f left a job he loved so much to a place where he would have the same say he had in Detroit.

Hammond has had plenty of job offers over the years but he decided to come here..Kohl had to offer something he could not refuse.

READ
Johnny Newman
Banned User

Post#98 » by Johnny Newman » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:55 pm

Mags FTW wrote:I might have to celebrate tonight.
:beer:
Well its noon somewhere. Its past noon in Wisconsin. I'm ready to tank up. :beer: Just curious how much power he has over Kohl's cronies? If he has same power as Harris. Then this signing don't matter. They could of hired me and I be denied of trades. But I kick back with feet up on desk. Saying Walter get me another beer. :rofl:
benultimate
Bench Warmer
And1: 856

Post#99 » by benultimate » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:58 pm

RealGM says: Mock draft Version 6.0 *POST TOURNAMENT EDITION* more important than Milwaukee's new GM
BucksRuleAll22
Banned User

Post#100 » by BucksRuleAll22 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:06 pm

I guarntee you Dave Babcock is not in charge of the draft. Also I hope this team just gets riped apart.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks