ImageImageImage

Webber back in two weeks?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

nasty daddy
RealGM
And1: 6

Post#101 » by nasty daddy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:54 pm

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... MUN3F4.DTL

The once absurd prospect of Chris Webber reuniting with the Warriors and Don Nelson is moving toward reality. With one team official putting the odds at "50-50" and another source saying that an announcement could be made by the end of the week, Webber's possible arrival as a free agent is being met with approval by players.

According to league sources, the idea of Webber returning was hatched more than a month ago with the Warriors looking for frontline help.

Webber is expected to make his decision in the next few days. The Warriors follow tonight's game with a midweek trip to Houston and New Orleans.

nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#102 » by nasty daddy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:25 pm

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... MUN3F4.DTL

According to league sources, the idea of Webber returning was hatched more than a month ago with the Warriors looking for frontline help.

Mentally, Webber would have to accept being a role player in Nelson's rotation, with the likelihood of spending ample time at center - the position he bristled at playing during his first go-around under Nelson.

Webber isn't likely to receive more than the pro-rated veteran's minimum of $1.2 million from any of his suitors, which are believed to also include the Lakers and Pistons. The Lakers recently signed ex-Warriors center DJ Mbenga to a 10-day contract after the injury to Andrew Bynum.

theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,832

Post#103 » by theBigLip » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:46 am

9 pages already - CWebb, just make up your mind and be done with it.

Joe - if you're really bringing him back, just get it over with and give us womething to really rant about :-)
nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#104 » by nasty daddy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:25 am

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 70345/1127

Coach Don Nelson wants to bring free agent forward Chris Webber back to Golden State, nearly 14 years after a feud ended their first stint together. "I hope that it happens to be quite honest with you," Nelson said Sunday before the Warriors hosted the New York Knicks. "I think our team needs it."

He remains one of the game's best passing big men, a skill Nelson believes the Warriors are severely lacking. Nelson has mostly played just two big men all season, with Andris Biedrins and Al Harrington sharing the load inside. Golden State entered Sunday's game in seventh place in the Western Conference with a 26-18 record. Nelson said he's not afraid that adding Webber could disrupt the chemistry on a team that made it to the second round of the playoffs a year ago.

"I'm afraid if we don't get him here our team is not strong enough to be a playoff team," Nelson said. "That's my biggest fear. I think if he comes, it can benefit our team, it can benefit his and my relationship, it can benefit players on this team. I think he has a chance to make some of our players better and make our team better. Really that's all that's important. I'll get along with anybody who can help our team."

RTM
RealGM
And1: 173

Post#105 » by RTM » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:10 am

Looks like he'll be a Warrior.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3217920

"Barring an unexpected change of heart, sources said, Webber will accept the invitation from former coach Don Nelson and former teammate Chris Mullin to come back to the team with whom he won NBA Rookie of the Year honors in 1994, only for Webber to force a trade to Washington some six months later when his prickly relationship with Nelson collapsed."
Big Steak
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#106 » by Big Steak » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:12 am

Edit: RTM just beat me to it :D

I'm surprised at how high Nelly is on adding C-Webb. I wonder if Gary Payton could be next?
RTM
RealGM
And1: 173

Post#107 » by RTM » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:40 am

Big Steak wrote:Edit: RTM just beat me to it :D

I'm surprised at how high Nelly is on adding C-Webb. I wonder if Gary Payton could be next?

You almost beat me :D

But it makes me wonder...

Why are the Warriors resurrecting fossils?
#1stunna
Junior
And1: 1

Post#108 » by #1stunna » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:29 am

Some things just make no sense. This is 1 of those

The 2 most important factors I thought

a contender - warriors nope
fits there system - warriors nope

whats the point of him even coming back? He'll look washed up in gs run & gun offense & he'll lose in the 1st, maybe 2nd rd of the playoffs.

bos, orl, cle, dal, la, I dont know, theres better opportunities out there if joed decined.

Happy to see him land in the west if it does happen. I thought he would have fit in good with bos.
nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#109 » by nasty daddy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:46 am

http://www.nba.com/nba_news/nellie_webber.html

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, one team official said Webber's return to the Warriors is a "50-50" proposition while another source said an announcement could be made by the end of the week.

Suitors will likely offer Webber the pro-rated veteran's minimum of $1.2 million. Other teams believed to be interested include the Lakers and Pistons.

nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#110 » by nasty daddy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:48 am

These are the exact same headlines we all saw last year, that Webber was going to the Lakers. I will believe it once he signs.
nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#111 » by nasty daddy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:35 am

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 1/SPORTS03

Last week, it was rumored that former Piston Chris Webber might join the Miami Heat. Now it is the Golden State Warriors, according the San Francisco Chronicle. Talk about a bi-coastal personality.

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,131

Post#112 » by bstein14 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:58 pm

There are now reports that Webber has agreed to sign with the Warriors and that the deal could be done as early as tomorrow.
nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#113 » by nasty daddy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:58 pm

http://blog.mlive.com/fullcourtpress/20 ... to_be.html

In a story first reported by the San Francisco Chronicle on Friday, Chris Webber seems set to return Golden State, the place where he started his NBA career.

Barring an unexpected change of heart, sources said, Webber will accept the invitation from former coach Don Nelson and former teammate Chris Mullin to come back to the team with whom he won NBA Rookie of the Year honors in 1994, only for Webber to force a trade to Washington some six months later when his prickly relationship with Nelson collapsed. "I hope that it happens to be quite honest with you," Nelson told Bay Area reporters Sunday before the Warriors hosted the New York Knicks. "I think our team needs it."

Nelson made his own surprising and triumphant return to Oakland last season, guiding the Warriors to their first playoff berth since they went 50-32 in Webber's rookie season in 1993-94. Sources say Nelson and Mullin, now the Warriors' vice president of basketball operations, are confident that the 67-year-old coach and Webber are ready for this seemingly hard-to-fathom reunion after multiple conversations in recent days.

nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#114 » by nasty daddy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:24 pm

http://www.nba.com/pistons/news/langloi ... 80128.html

There have been numerous teams linked to interest in Chris Webber over the past few months
Shooter1
Pro Prospect
And1: 67

Post#115 » by Shooter1 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:27 pm

ESPN is reporting that Chris Webber could join the Warriors as soon as Tuesday.
It looks like the move is going to happen and Don Nelson says he needs Webber for the playoffs. What Webber's arrival would do to the value of Andris Biedrins and Al Harrington remains to be seen. But it looks like we'll find out sooner rather than later. We still can't imagine Webber having enough in the tank to offer much fantasy value on his own, but it's impossible to guess how many minutes Nellie going to give him. Jan. 28 - 2:19 pm et
nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#116 » by nasty daddy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:28 pm

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... /1001/NEWS

Reports this morning out of Oakland have the Golden State Warriors signing free agent Chris Webber sometime soon, possibly Tuesday. That means he won
nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#117 » by nasty daddy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:31 pm

http://info.detnews.com/redesign/blogs/ ... logid=1131

Looks like C-Webb will be a Golden State Warrior again, maybe by tomorrow. He was rookie of the year for the Warriors 14 years ago, then left abruptly after feuding with coach Don Nelson who is back for his second tour of duty. The two patched up their differences, apparently.

I know it seems like a bad fit, but Nelson is thinking in terms of playoff match-ups. Sooner or later, he figures he has to play San Antonio or Houston or even the Lakers and will need some kind of post presence. Right now, he's got none on the offensive end. As he said, the addition of Webber can't make his team any worse in that area.

The Pistons, by the way, aren't heartbroken by this development. As I reported all along, they kept the door open for him but the odds of him coming back here were long against. When Joe Dumars told Webber that he wasn't going to buy out any contracts to make room for him, that was the tipoff that they weren't overly anxious to bring him back. They did not and will not make any last-ditch effort to get him.

nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#118 » by nasty daddy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:38 pm

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 80389/1127

Coach Don Nelson wants to bring free agent forward Chris Webber back to Golden State, nearly 14 years after a feud ended their first stint together. "I hope that it happens, to be quite honest with you," Nelson said Sunday before the Warriors beat the New York Knicks 106-104. "I think our team needs it."

Webber could sign with the Warriors as early as Tuesday, ESPN.com reported, attributing the information to sources.

Webber has not played in an NBA game since the Pistons lost to Cleveland in last season's Eastern Conference finals. The Pistons did not bring Webber back this season and he has been looking for a team. Webber averaged 11.2 points, 7.2 rebounds and 3.1 assists last season with Philadelphia and Detroit.

nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#119 » by nasty daddy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:47 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3217920

Webber could not be immediately reached for comment Sunday, but sources insist that he would be Golden State-bound now even if the Detroit Pistons made an 11th-hour bid to re-sign him. The Warriors have offered to sign him for the rest of the season for a pro-rated share of the league's $1.2 million veteran minimum.

After a second-half stint with his hometown Pistons last season that ended in defeat in the Eastern Conference finals, Webber told ESPN.com in October that he would only play "as a Piston" this season . . . "unless something crazy happens." But he has relaxed that stance in recent weeks.

Although the Pistons have retained an interest in bringing Webber back all season, they would still need to clear a roster spot to make room for the 34-year-old and have either been unable or unwilling to do so. Pistons president Joe Dumars indicated last week that the club was unlikely to buy out the contract of either Primoz Brezec or Flip Murray just to add Webber.

nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#120 » by nasty daddy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:56 pm

http://www.mercextra.com/blogs/warriors ... ot-insane/

All of this may be premature. Webber hasn

Return to Detroit Pistons