Reggie Miller Hall of Fame

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Bucs80
Analyst
And1: 1

Reggie Miller Hall of Fame 

Post#1 » by Bucs80 » Sat May 31, 2008 1:32 am

Does Reggie Miller make the hall of fame mostly because of his 3 pointers?
litex wrote:I'm pretty sure that, no matter what he does, Lebron will never have "tittles" like Shaquille O'Neal does, or for that matter, Chales Barkley.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,033
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#2 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat May 31, 2008 1:33 am

Playoff heroics, and his commentating.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#3 » by MagicMadness » Sat May 31, 2008 1:33 am

He'll get in.

If his team happened to have won a championship, people would be saying he was a lock. Championships have become overrated in terms of determining a HOF candidate.
War3player
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#4 » by War3player » Sat May 31, 2008 1:37 am

100% he gets in.
Ryleo-so
Junior
Location: Organizing a search party to find Darko's potential.

Post#5 » by Ryleo-so » Sat May 31, 2008 1:43 am

Yes he gets in, but not just because he was a shooter. A lot of players can shoot but not many players can ball like reggie.
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#6 » by DelaneyRudd » Sat May 31, 2008 4:01 am

Yup. In like flinn.
Boognish
RealGM
And1: 16,738

Post#7 » by Boognish » Sat May 31, 2008 4:50 am

fo sho
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#8 » by miller31time » Sat May 31, 2008 5:18 am

Yes, and it should be well-deserved.

One of the most prolific and proficient shooters in NBA history, one of the (if not the) clutchest players in NBA history, was the best player on a consistently excellent team lasting spanning nearly 2 decades.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,742

Post#9 » by meatball sub » Sat May 31, 2008 5:20 am

I thought this thread was gonna be about Rip Hamilton for a second.
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#10 » by DelaneyRudd » Sat May 31, 2008 5:24 am

bove310 wrote:I thought this thread was gonna be about Rip Hamilton for a second.
Odd assumption...
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,428

Post#11 » by Doctor MJ » Sat May 31, 2008 6:11 am

Yes he does
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,428

Post#12 » by Doctor MJ » Sat May 31, 2008 6:13 am

DelaneyRudd wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Odd assumption...

Well, people do often the compare the two.

Just for the record, Hamilton shouldn't be considered HOF worthy by any rational person at this point.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
JO7
Sophomore
And1: 15

Post#13 » by JO7 » Sat May 31, 2008 8:35 am

Yeah he'll get in... if for only that jumping spinning celebration of his after hitting that game winner against the bulls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYKlaW5iFfs
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk
Adam1221
Sixth Man
And1: 397

Post#14 » by Adam1221 » Sat May 31, 2008 12:32 pm

Yes.
Im sick and tired of people taking championships into consideration when discussing HOF players.

Horry IS NO HOF player!
Kidd,Barkley,Miller and plenty other guys definately are.
Fatty
Head Coach
And1: 11

Post#15 » by Fatty » Sat May 31, 2008 1:11 pm

He has very few accomplishments though.

He was never all NBA 2nd Team much less 1st Team (3 time all NBA 3rd team)
Only 5 time allstar in 18 years
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,967

Post#16 » by INKtastic » Sat May 31, 2008 9:21 pm

miller31time wrote:Yes, and it should be well-deserved.

One of the most prolific and proficient shooters in NBA history, one of the (if not the) clutchest players in NBA history, was the best player on a consistently excellent team lasting spanning nearly 2 decades.

He'll get in, but how does he fit any of the criteria you just listed?

one of the most prolific scores? There are a ton of more prolific scores.

one of the most proficient shooters? There are a ton of more proficient shooters.

perhaps the clutchest player in NBA history? Don't overrate a handful of high profile clutch moments.

Reggie has three things going for him.
1- He played when the 3 point shot really emerged as a full game weapon (and he certainly was one of the players who helped contribute to that).
2- he played in the era when television coverage of basketball really took off.
3- he had a long career of solid play

And it certainly helps the case for Reggie that Adrian Dantley and Dominique Wilkens both made the hall of fame after Reggie retired as both were clearly more deserving.
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#17 » by miller31time » Sat May 31, 2008 9:27 pm

lj4mvp wrote:He'll get in, but how does he fit any of the criteria you just listed?

one of the most prolific scores? There are a ton of more prolific scores.

one of the most proficient shooters? There are a ton of more proficient shooters.

perhaps the clutchest player in NBA history? Don't overrate a handful of high profile clutch moments.

Reggie has three things going for him.
1- He played when the 3 point shot really emerged as a full game weapon (and he certainly was one of the players who helped contribute to that).
2- he played in the era when television coverage of basketball really took off.
3- he had a long career of solid play

And it certainly helps the case for Reggie that Adrian Dantley and Dominique Wilkens both made the hall of fame after Reggie retired as both were clearly more deserving.

I never said he was a prolific scorer. Please don't put words in my mouth. I said he was both a prolific and proficient shooter. Are you going to tell me he's not one of the best shooters the NBA has seen? Most would disagree with you there.

You're going to tell me he's not one of the most clutch players in the association? I never said he was definitively the best, but he's up there. Now, YOU may disagree with that, but clutch play is associated with Reggie, and vice versa. And I'm not talking about just the shot against the Bulls, or just the 3, then dunk against the Nets, or just the 2 three pointers in a span of about 4 seconds against the Knicks, I'm talking about a body of clutch performances, big 4th quarters, etc. And I'd also advise you not to underrate a handful of ultra-clutch moments on the NBA's biggest stage -- the playoffs.
RatherUnique24
Senior

Post#18 » by RatherUnique24 » Sat May 31, 2008 9:32 pm

His basketball ability elevated during the playoffs - throughout his career. That is HOF worthy by itself
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#19 » by EasternMagic » Sat May 31, 2008 9:49 pm

reggie miller makes it to the hall of fame because he was an amazing ball player, i wish he couldve gotten a championship.
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,967

Post#20 » by INKtastic » Sat May 31, 2008 9:53 pm

miller31time wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
I never said he was a prolific scorer. Please don't put words in my mouth. I said he was both a prolific and proficient shooter. Are you going to tell me he's not one of the best shooters the NBA has seen? Most would disagree with you there.

You're going to tell me he's not one of the most clutch players in the association? I never said he was definitively the best, but he's up there. Now, YOU may disagree with that, but clutch play is associated with Reggie, and vice versa. And I'm not talking about just the shot against the Bulls, or just the 3, then dunk against the Nets, or just the 2 three pointers in a span of about 4 seconds against the Knicks, I'm talking about a body of clutch performances, big 4th quarters, etc. And I'd also advise you not to underrate a handful of ultra-clutch moments on the NBA's biggest stage -- the playoffs.

how is prolific shooting different from prolific scoring?

Lets look at the stats.

Career PER - 18.36 - 107th best all time. This is one of the points I had in his favor - he had a long, consistent career. 107th best all time certainly doesn't exclude him from the hall of fame. Due to the length of his career, I'd rate that higher than some of the people around him.

Career FG% - .489 - 157th best of all time

Career 3P% - .395 - 36th best all time. Impressive given the lenght of his career and hte number of 3 pointers he took, but plenty of guys NOT in the HOF shot better - like Glen Rice, Dell Curry, Allan Houston, Mark Price, BJ Armstrong, Steve Kerr, etc, etc. In fact, of the 35 guys ahead of him, only 1, Drazen Petrovic, is in the HOF, and he is in for international play, not NBA play.

FT% - .888 - 8th best all time, very impressive.

3 pointers made - 1st all time. This is another area I gave Reggie credit in my post. I'm not so impressed that he's made the most as that record will likely be gone before he's eligible for the HOF. He was an important factor in the 3 point shot becoming a full game weapon and not just a late game comeback play.

So, again, what he has going for him

- a long, consistent career of play somewhere better than average but less than superstar level.
- helping to change the game by making the 3 pointer a weapon
- some high profile televised clutch moments (that never were quite on the biggest stage, which is the NBA Finals).

He also has in his favor that he was with the same team for a long time, which gives him an advantage over somewhat similar players who bounced around the league.
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more

Return to The General Board