Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Interesting notes on Blazers/Bulls and #1 

Post#1 » by JD45 » Thu May 22, 2008 2:56 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008 ... tes-080522

The Bulls may be interested in Beasley.

The more NBA executives I speak with, along with several Bulls sources, the less I'm convinced that there's a consensus in the Bulls' front office.

From what I can gather, they are big fans of Beasley's talent and think he fits a need. But they desperately crave the leadership and stability a player like Rose brings to the table.

Beasley is probably more ready to come in and contribute right away. However, in five years, Rose has the potential to be the better player.

But Beasley might measure out a little small for an elite PF:

One GM told me he thought Beasley would measure small for the position and it could be a major problem when trying to guard the bigger forwards in the league like Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki and Kevin Garnett. The only semi-official measurement we have of Beasley is from USA Basketball. Last year at the Nike Hoop Summit he measured 6-foot-9 in shoes, with a 7-foot wingspan and a 9-foot-1 standing reach.

And there is already a rumor the Blazers could offer LMA to the Bulls for #1 (Rose)

"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Klinky
Assistant Coach
And1: 536

Post#2 » by Klinky » Thu May 22, 2008 2:59 pm

That'd be kind of crazy. I don't think we need an unproven(albeit highly rated) rookie PG for our up and coming PF who's developing quite nicely.
Circus Americano!
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#3 » by Billy » Thu May 22, 2008 3:01 pm

I don't really see Pritchard going for that. But, if Portland had Rose I certainly wouldn't cry in my milk. If KP has Rose projected as the next Chris Paul you absolutely do it.
SinceClyde
Pro Prospect
And1: 5

Post#4 » by SinceClyde » Thu May 22, 2008 3:22 pm

This is exciting. I am growing on the idea of having Rose, Roy, and Oden. LMA is a monster and going to be an all star, so I understand the interest.

Rose, Blake, Sergio
Roy, Rudy, Jack
Webster, Outlaw, pick
Outlaw, Frye, Pick, McBoB
Oden, Pryzbilla, Frye, LaFrentz

IF we didn't have Oden, I'd say no...still, it's a tough decision.
Since Clyde The Glide
RoytoOden
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#5 » by RoytoOden » Thu May 22, 2008 3:24 pm

Billy wrote:I don't really see Pritchard going for that. But, if Portland had Rose I certainly wouldn't cry in my milk. If KP has Rose projected as the next Chris Paul you absolutely do it.
I might be crazy but I believe that in 2 years Rose will totally eclipse Chris Paul. Just my gut feeling.
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#6 » by Billy » Thu May 22, 2008 3:27 pm

RoytoOden wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I might be crazy but I believe that in 2 years Rose will totally eclipse Chris Paul. Just my gut feeling.

Hey if that's what KP thinks, he needs to make the trade. It would totally stink to lose Aldridge, but if you think you can get someone in the realm of CP3... you have to do it.
BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Post#7 » by BR0D1E86 » Thu May 22, 2008 3:32 pm

I can pretty much guarantee that the Bulls wouldn
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#8 » by BlackMamba » Thu May 22, 2008 3:33 pm

i'm not sure i'd be ok with trading alrdige.

what is a stronger tandem: roy, aldridge, oden.

or: rose, roy, oden.
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#9 » by Spykes » Thu May 22, 2008 3:35 pm

I don't see KP being willing to make that big a change either, but if he did, I wouldn't blame him. Rose is that special. And as I've said, it'll be much easier for Portland to refill their PF spot than it will be to find a PG on Rose's level.
riehldeal
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#10 » by riehldeal » Thu May 22, 2008 3:44 pm

You don't break up the twin towers and especially given the still to be determined status of Oden's NBA career. If Greg falls on his face or becomes a walking injury report, you would be left with nothing up front minus LMA. This makes the Oden injury all the more frustrating because if he played a full season and was perfectly fine then this deal would have already been offered and probably with Webster/Jack to sweeten it so they couldn't refuse and future 1st rounders
SinceClyde
Pro Prospect
And1: 5

Post#11 » by SinceClyde » Thu May 22, 2008 3:47 pm

Well BR how much is your guarantee worth? What are your sources? If it's a guarantee based on speculation, it's not really a guarantee. I will admit you guys could easily get a more seasoned post player from the pick. Who knows though, maybe Pax wants a younger core.

Either way it's fun to talk about it.
Since Clyde The Glide
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#12 » by Spykes » Thu May 22, 2008 3:53 pm

riehldeal wrote:You don't break up the twin towers and especially given the still to be determined status of Oden's NBA career. If Greg falls on his face or becomes a walking injury report, you would be left with nothing up front minus LMA. This makes the Oden injury all the more frustrating because if he played a full season and was perfectly fine then this deal would have already been offered and probably with Webster/Jack to sweeten it so they couldn't refuse and future 1st rounders

Again, that's not entirely true. All this energy we're expending trying to find a PG with either Raef's expiring deal and/or our cap space would then be focused primarily on finding a PF. And there's quite a few good PF's who'll either be available via a trade or in the 09 FA. As d-train had mentioned, there'll certainly be more PF's than PG's in that FA class.
Telfaire
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#13 » by Telfaire » Thu May 22, 2008 4:10 pm

The thing is, LMA fits so well next to Oden...I dont belive KP would go for it. Neither would Paxon, for the reason stated in that article. The Bulls would be better off drafting Rose and sticking with Thomas, or drafting Beasly and packaging Thomas with Gooden's expiring contract.
riehldeal
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#14 » by riehldeal » Thu May 22, 2008 4:12 pm

Spykes wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Again, that's not entirely true. All this energy we're expending trying to find a PG with either Raef's expiring deal and/or our cap space would then be focused primarily on finding a PF. And there's quite a few good PF's who'll either be available via a trade or in the 09 FA. As d-train had mentioned, there'll certainly be more PF's than PG's in that FA class.

And to add to this.......if D Arthur is still on the board at 13.....might have something there

but LMA has a ceiling as high as the sistine with easy offense at will
shamelessblazer
Senior
And1: 0

Post#15 » by shamelessblazer » Thu May 22, 2008 4:35 pm

ick man. No matter how good Rose is we wouldn't know for sure how he would mesh with Roy, and I don't want to get younger. LMA and Oden compliment each other perfectly, have the potential to make us the best defensive team in the paint for a very long time, and who else (in NBA history) can boast of two young, mobile, skilled, 7'ers ever? No one will be able to double either of them, ever! It's two one on one matchups where we will have the advantage with both of them against almost all teams! Setting up post offense is easiest in the NBA, and the most reliable come playoff time. Roy should be our primary backcourt engine for this, it's hard enough to find a star guard willing to play in a post dominated offense.
candy for lunch
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#16 » by candy for lunch » Thu May 22, 2008 4:48 pm

KP isn't that stupid, guys.
taufblazers33
Starter
And1: 650

Post#17 » by taufblazers33 » Thu May 22, 2008 5:03 pm

Klinky wrote:That'd be kind of crazy. I don't think we need an unproven(albeit highly rated) rookie PG for our up and coming PF who's developing quite nicely.

this could be said about Oden and Rudy too. (unproven, highly rated)
DmoneyH3
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#18 » by DmoneyH3 » Thu May 22, 2008 5:05 pm

Westbrook,Roy,Outlaw,LMA,Oden >
Rose,Roy,Outlaw,Frye,Oden
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#19 » by mojomarc » Thu May 22, 2008 5:14 pm

DmoneyH3 wrote:Westbrook,Roy,Outlaw,LMA,Oden >
Rose,Roy,Outlaw,Frye,Oden

I hate to say it, but I think we overrate Aldridge a bit here. I think he's a great player and a borderline all-star, but with Oden his low post capabilities become more than a little redundant (I'd rather have those chances going to Oden instead of Aldridge) and his midrange game offensively isn't all that different from what Frye brings to the table. Plus, Frye seems a little bit better as a rebounder.

Rose, on the other hand, is massively better now and will be massively better than Westbrook. I don't even think Westbrook will be all that much better than Jarrett Jack in the NBA, which makes him a starter on a bad team that can put up empty numbers but makes too many dumb mistakes to really help his team a ton. Rose feeding to Oden, though.... You trade Brandon and start Jack and you still have a playoff team with those two.

So basically, I would do this in a heartbeat (haven't checked trade checker, but I bet it works):

Thomas
#1 pick

for

Aldridge
#13 pick
2010 First with some protection (negotiable on the protection).

And this is coming from one of Aldridge's biggest fans on this board. I just think we have to be realistic that Westbrook ain't ready and Frye just isn't that bad when given minutes, has a very similar game to Aldridge and his weaknesses are things we're looking for Oden to do instead of our PF going forward anyway.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,873

Post#20 » by Norm2953 » Thu May 22, 2008 5:15 pm

I would make this deal if the coaches felt Channing Frye would
be a good replacement for LA.

I do think it comes back to which player would most likely develop
into an all-star level player. I happen to think that player would
be Rose and he plays at a position where we will ultimately need
an all-star level PG to match up with really good young PG's in
the west.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers