ImageImageImage

Will you be satisfied if we don't get to the finals ?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

DieselCeltic
Banned User
And1: 0

Will you be satisfied if we don't get to the finals ? 

Post#1 » by DieselCeltic » Fri May 16, 2008 11:52 am

Lets say we lose to Detroit. I hope to god we don't. But we are talking about Detroit here. There is a reason why they advanced to the finals 6 times in a row. With this said, would you be satisfied and be proud of what the Celtics have accomplished thus far ? A finals appearance would be even more sweet even if they lose to a WC team.

I am already happy with what this team has achieved going back to last year horrible season.

But this brings me to this subject. If we don't win the ECF or if we do win ECF and lose in the FINALS... do we need to make another big decisions ?? Let Ray go ? Let Pierce go ?? What about Doc Rivers ??

IMO, he does need to EARN to be the coach for the next season. He now has the players that he didn't have before. Anything LESS than at least ECF he would have to be replaced IMHO.
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#2 » by Tricky Ricky » Fri May 16, 2008 12:20 pm

I think at the very least I would be satisfied with a finals appearence. I would be left with an empty feeling losing to Det, although I thought we would win it all in year #2. Losing to CLe on the other hand would be disasterous
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,067

Post#3 » by Ed Pinkney » Fri May 16, 2008 12:26 pm

I would be disapointed. You don't play that well for the entire regular season to be satisfied with losing in the Conference Finals. I would probably be less disapointed if we lost despite playing consistent good basketball. If we lose because we continue to play like two completely different teams, then yes I would be very disapointed.

In terms of changes, I would be very suprised if the make anything but minor changes to the bench with two new draft picks (we all know Danny's track record) and using the MLE and LLE.

Personally, I think unless this team flames out and starts losing games regularly Rivers, Allen, Pierce and Garnett are all here for the next couple of years.
nightstarstolen
Banned User

Post#4 » by nightstarstolen » Fri May 16, 2008 12:30 pm

Celtics >> Detroit >> Clevland

I can understand Lakers, or Hornets being a tough match up, however, for me its win Green 17, or season gets erased from my mind.
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#5 » by BillessuR6 » Fri May 16, 2008 1:29 pm

I will only be happy if we win a ring. This is not some young team that has time to develop, there are limited opportunities to win a championship and we need to take them.

We have the quality to win this year, whether we do it that is another thing. But obviously we shouldn`t be happy with anything less than a title.
DieselCeltic
Banned User

Post#6 » by DieselCeltic » Fri May 16, 2008 1:56 pm

Honest to god - not trying to be a pessimist here but we are not good enough to win it all.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#7 » by sully00 » Fri May 16, 2008 2:00 pm

Satisfied is a terrible word. How could you be? That is like getting naked and calling it a night.

There is going to be 3 levels of dissatisfaction if we don't win the whole thing.

Level 1 frustration with the individual situations, plays, games of the series and leveling a lot of blame at Doc.

Level 2 overall frustration with the playoff performance of the team and people wanting roster changes as far as Ray and Sam, as well as some nut jobs wanting to deal Pierce.

Level 3 the really over the top crazies who have waited in the wings all season to drop some I told you so BS on the board about trading away Big Al and the kids and how we should trade everyone for draft picks.

Fortuneatly for me this is the internet and I will not have to go to jail for smashing the empty whiskey bottle I have drowned my sorrows in over their head.

That said I think we get laid.
nightstarstolen
Banned User

Post#8 » by nightstarstolen » Fri May 16, 2008 2:22 pm

DieselCeltic wrote:Honest to god - not trying to be a pessimist here but we are not good enough to win it all.

You do know that basketball like any sports has its ups and downs. We did sweep the Texas triangle on road. Our stars haven't showed up in post season.

Showed up for games::

Ray - 0-5 games
Pierce - 1-5 games
KG- 5-5 games
Rondo - 2-5 games
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#9 » by ermocrate » Fri May 16, 2008 2:43 pm

Beside All-Stars, in a team, TEAM, game it's very hard to win it all in the first season, I'll be satified, for this year, but next year I'll get very angry if we can't win it all.
"Negativity in this town sucks"
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#10 » by bruno sundov » Fri May 16, 2008 6:37 pm

I think this the best cahnce to do it. WHo is to say that all these guys will be back next year.
JCizzle
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#11 » by JCizzle » Fri May 16, 2008 7:16 pm

This is Boston, of course we would be disappointed.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#12 » by meatball sub » Fri May 16, 2008 7:40 pm

Finals or bust.
SeizeCoup
Lead Assistant
And1: 665

Post#13 » by SeizeCoup » Fri May 16, 2008 7:52 pm

IMO they HAVE to make it to the ECF. If they make it to the finals I think the team comes back next year pretty much unchanged. I really hope that happens. Regardless, I like our chances THIS YEAR against any team out there.

And next year they are going to be such a better team, and maybe Pierce works out with KG a little in the offseason, Ray rests those akin bones... Perk and Rondo are blue chips, either cash in or watch them continue to grow in value. Good things coming in upcoming seasons.
Al-Haqq
Starter
And1: 1

Post#14 » by Al-Haqq » Sat May 17, 2008 1:35 am

I have expectations of an NBA Championship. That's why the team was put together; to get a ring, and if they don't ... I will be let down.
Athanacropolis
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#15 » by Athanacropolis » Sat May 17, 2008 1:37 am

Nope. Finals or bust. The year won't be a failure, per se, just a disappointment.

Besides, who wants to wait for next year?
Green Menace
Junior
And1: 10

Post#16 » by Green Menace » Sat May 17, 2008 3:50 am

Me 2, finals or bust. And if we are going to lose to Pistons or Lakers I prefer to lose sunday, then our fans will be happy to blame Doc and refs.

Next year PP and Ray will be even more finished. Don
dinoz
Junior
And1: 3

Post#17 » by dinoz » Sat May 17, 2008 4:11 am

nightstarstolen wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You do know that basketball like any sports has its ups and downs. We did sweep the Texas triangle on road. Our stars haven't showed up in post season.

Showed up for games::

Ray - 0-5 games
Pierce - 1-5 games
KG- 5-5 games
Rondo - 2-5 games

Add in tonight, and you have KG 6-6, and the rest, well...
ShaqSlamsU
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#18 » by ShaqSlamsU » Sat May 17, 2008 6:41 am

i'd be disappointed in KG and PP if the C's dont' make it to the finals... not saying they must win, but at least the finals damn it. lol
IEcelticfan
Bench Warmer

Post#19 » by IEcelticfan » Sat May 17, 2008 7:48 am

#17 or bust. whats the pt of losing in the finals, next round or this round? noone's ever gonna remember you....

Return to Boston Celtics