ImageImageImage

GAME 6 : Celtics @ Hawks - Friday, May 2nd

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

NBAMAN2006
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#481 » by NBAMAN2006 » Sat May 3, 2008 3:39 am

I just wanna ask really fast.

Why on earth would the NBA rig this series in favor of the Hawks? Stern has to be just salivating at the opportunity of a Boston/LA finals.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#482 » by Celtics_Champs » Sat May 3, 2008 3:42 am

NBAMAN2006 wrote:I just wanna ask really fast.

Why on earth would the NBA rig this series in favor of the Hawks? Stern has to be just salivating at the opportunity of a Boston/LA finals.

To get Atlanta's attendance back up to what it was in the 80's. Celtics-Hawks have a rivalry too.

I am not calling it a conspiracy theory, I am just saying that the refs have **** us over, why, I don't know :dontknow:
tfmiii
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,998

Post#483 » by tfmiii » Sat May 3, 2008 3:42 am

Celts win 66 games playing stifling defense.... then the playoffs begin and such defense results in 30+ fouls???
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,019

Post#484 » by bstein14 » Sat May 3, 2008 3:42 am

mr_sunshine wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Maybe he took lessons from Sheed on how to have an emotional meltdown and throw his headband? I dunno. :dontknow:

Sheed's been T'd up for throwing his headband.

Sheed has lost his cool and hurt the Pistons.

Tonight, Pierce lost his cool and it hurt the Celtics.
Retrovision
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#485 » by Retrovision » Sat May 3, 2008 3:43 am

mr_sunshine wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Fixed.

If it makes you feel better.
TheCelticTruth
Analyst
And1: 0
Location: You Can't Handle the Truth, the real city of champions, again.

Post#486 » by TheCelticTruth » Sat May 3, 2008 3:44 am

well its not in favor unless they win it. there are a lot of stern conspiracy theories throughout the years. i dunno if i believe them but there are enough that i dont know if i disbelieve them either

but logically, stern would want every series to go seven games

Sig by twolves4ever
Boston-Syracuse-North Carolina, Screw Duke and BC
"ubuntu"
TheCelticTruth
Analyst

Post#487 » by TheCelticTruth » Sat May 3, 2008 3:44 am

tfmiii wrote:Celts win 66 games playing stifling defense.... then the playoffs begin and such defense results in 30+ fouls???

tis a fair question

i feel similarly, though maybe less biased and more justified, to how i felt about the fact that all season long any time the patriots had a QB as wrapped up as they did eli on that miracle throw, they would call unneccesary roughness on the guy who came in and delivered the actual hit, so the one play where they dont make the extra hit, the refs dont whistle the play dead

Sig by twolves4ever

"ubuntu"
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#488 » by meatball sub » Sat May 3, 2008 3:46 am

Stern is trying to revive the Atlanta basketball franchise by giving their fans something to be excited for. The Hawks I'm sure are going to sell double the amount of season tickets next year because of this series.

Stern doesn't want them to win, he just doesn't want every game turning out like they would have if he hadn't of intervened. If you want to know what would happen if the refs weren't intentionally trying to hand them games just look at what has happened in Boston when the free throw ratio isn't 2:1 in favor of the Hawks.
Mr.Monday Night
Sophomore

Post#489 » by Mr.Monday Night » Sat May 3, 2008 3:46 am

it isn't even about the refs are one sided.. they are just SO INCONSISTENT
TheCelticTruth
Analyst

Post#490 » by TheCelticTruth » Sat May 3, 2008 3:46 am

Joebiscuit wrote:Ray looks like he is in mourning right now. He looks so dejected

is it wrong to say good?

Sig by twolves4ever

"ubuntu"
Joebiscuit
Banned User

Post#491 » by Joebiscuit » Sat May 3, 2008 3:47 am

Ray looks like he is in mourning right now. He looks so dejected
diforman
Sixth Man
And1: 15

Post#492 » by diforman » Sat May 3, 2008 3:47 am

tfmiii wrote:Celts win 66 games playing stifling defense.... then the playoffs begin and such defense results in 30+ fouls???

Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#493 » by Celtics_Champs » Sat May 3, 2008 3:47 am

When the bruins played the canadiens, the same theories arose. Bruins took it to 7, and many canadien fans thought that alot of calls were bullsh*t. Of course being a boston homer, I denounced those theories. But now, I understand what they were talking about.

Again, I really don't think stern or any commish stoops so low to get ratings, but ya never no.
Hairy Midget
Lead Assistant

Post#494 » by Hairy Midget » Sat May 3, 2008 3:47 am

A majority of the fouls are on the fact that they are doubling JJ and have to scramble so much on defense when someone else gets the ball that the Hawks great slashing ability is magnified x10 and they can draw fouls like crazy at the rim.

You guys would almost be better off just playing containing defense and letting everyone but JJ shoot jumpers than letting them drive and score or draw fouls. It plays right into the Hawks' strengths.

It's not even so much the defense though, it's the offense. Nobody on the C's is creating offense very well at all. They're losing their poise.
Mr.Monday Night
Sophomore

Post#495 » by Mr.Monday Night » Sat May 3, 2008 3:48 am

I'm so tired of Joe Johnson getting away with the Michael Jordan push off move.. gah
diforman
Sixth Man

Post#496 » by diforman » Sat May 3, 2008 3:50 am

im disgusted with the celtics right now there is no other way to put it...

you could have the worst officiated game in history (and we might have) and the celtics should still win..

Pierce is our only scorer that can take it to the rack and get to the line in the 4th, and he was on the bench because of some poor officiating....

every offensive foul/block goes the home teams way, and the celtics try to draw a lot of those... that could explain some of what happened...

KG is not shooting well at all this series, Rondo throws up some wild runners with under 5 minutes left, hes gotta fix that, but most of all this team needs to learn how to close down a team, play better defense without fouling, and hit some goddamn open shots in the 4th quarter!
TheCelticTruth
Analyst

Post#497 » by TheCelticTruth » Sat May 3, 2008 3:51 am

Hairy Midget wrote:A majority of the fouls are on the fact that they are doubling JJ and have to scramble so much on defense when someone else gets the ball that the Hawks great slashing ability is magnified x10 and they can draw fouls like crazy at the rim.

You guys would almost be better off just playing containing defense and letting everyone but JJ shoot jumpers than letting them drive and score or draw fouls. It plays right into the Hawks' strengths.

It's not even so much the defense though, it's the offense. Nobody on the C's is creating offense very well at all. They're losing their poise.

i agree with some of what you say, but i also feel like JJ is getting some serious MJ treatment with a.) the push offs and b.) the way he lowers his shoulder on many of his drives that is like the way an NFL running back would and any other player in the series would get called as an offensive foul

most of what you say

Sig by twolves4ever

"ubuntu"
Mr.Monday Night
Sophomore

Post#498 » by Mr.Monday Night » Sat May 3, 2008 3:52 am

diforman wrote: KG is not shooting well at all this series, Rondo throws up some wild runners with under 5 minutes left, hes gotta fix that, but most of all this team needs to learn how to close down a team, play better defense without fouling, and hit some goddamn open shots in the 4th quarter!

You can't hit open shots when you have a ICE cold PJ brown who checks into the game at one of the most pivotal points of the game, and who hasn't been playing the whole damn game! wtf..
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#499 » by Celtics_Champs » Sat May 3, 2008 3:52 am

The one positive, if any. how about the celtics refusing to be blown out. I mean, sure they were supposed to sweep. But every fan and nba analyst underestimated the hawks, the crowd, and the refs (!!!). But there down by 8, then, boom they get it going, put up some points, make some stops. That's nice to see.
diforman
Sixth Man

Post#500 » by diforman » Sat May 3, 2008 3:52 am

Hairy Midget wrote:A majority of the fouls are on the fact that they are doubling JJ and have to scramble so much on defense when someone else gets the ball that the Hawks great slashing ability is magnified x10 and they can draw fouls like crazy at the rim.

is it just me or did it feel like the hawks got a bail out foul every trip in the 4th quarter while the celtics (admittedly) settled for jumpers?

some of that is on the refs, they were awful... but the celtics did settle for a lot of jumpers and that is no good in the playoffs... :banghead: :banghead:

Return to Boston Celtics