ImageImageImage

Pierce fined for menacing gesture

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#85 » by cloverleaf » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:17 pm

I'm with you, anorexcism, it doesn't look like anything other than a bloods threat--and judging from the league's (and Danny's) reaction that seems to be the case. Too bad. Another Celtics playoff series where Pierce loses his composure in a bad way.

But if someone's gonna spank the C's I'm kind of glad that it's the Hawks, because the year-long canonization of the C's Big 3 veterans over the rest of the team has been tiresome.

Let's hope they can turn it around.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#86 » by campybatman » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:53 pm

Taken from The Big Show section on WEEI.

Pierce needs to submit this as evidence to his appeal with the NBA officials.

This is ridiculous. Look at Mumbles...

greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#87 » by greenbeans » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:00 pm

but NOOOOOO, it has NOTHING to do with Boston!! ahahaha
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,742

Post#88 » by meatball sub » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:09 pm

All those guys look like they're in a gang except, of course, the three white gentleman.

Not to mention that the three not-white guys are wearing a RED Sox hats. **** gang bangers...
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#89 » by campybatman » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:44 pm

I hope the NBA (Stern and Jackson) cracks under the pressure of media attention as did the NFL (Goodell) when the Patriots versus Giants regular season game wouldn't be a national televised game. The NFL cracked and the NBA needs to rescind the fine.

Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#90 » by Celtics_Champs » Thu May 1, 2008 12:53 am

Let's all email the nba offices all these pictures.
Fatty
Head Coach
And1: 11

Post#91 » by Fatty » Thu May 1, 2008 2:15 am

if pierce threw a hand sign that means "boston" at horford i would have to say taht would be the lamest thing i ever saw

Horford: "I just j'ed you and disrespected you and put the game out of reach"

Pierce,while foaming at the mouth: "BOSTON BOSTON. IM FROM BOSTON"
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#92 » by campybatman » Thu May 1, 2008 2:50 am

Fatty wrote:if pierce threw a hand sign that means "boston" at horford i would have to say taht would be the lamest thing i ever saw

The point might have been to say: We [Boston] still have home court advantage. On the other hand, Pierce could've simply ignored Horford knowing that the series is far from over. Let Atlanta enjoy these home wins. They haven't won anything, but after two consecutive victories in the series. You'll think by their display of celebration that they'd won a NBA championship. You could tell them to act like they've been there before but they haven't been there in nine seasons.
BrokenLeftyJumper
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#93 » by BrokenLeftyJumper » Thu May 1, 2008 2:59 am

It had nothing to do with Boston. Give it up. Just because some people do it in Boston does not mean that Pierce did it to rep Boston. Sh*t, I bet some people are throwing up the 3's in China right now and it has some other stupid meaning over there.

I take Pierce at his word when he says it means blood, sweat, and tears.
RoyHobbs
Senior

Post#94 » by RoyHobbs » Thu May 1, 2008 3:11 am

bonsaiflipflops wrote:Taken from The Big Show section on WEEI.

Pierce needs to submit this as evidence to his appeal with the NBA officials.

This is ridiculous. Look at Mumbles...

(picture)

Not even Pierce is claiming that his sign was related to this one, or that it meant "Boston". I thought the official story was that it represented "blood, sweat, and tears"?

There are lots of signs that look similar. Shira Springer did a story this morning on all the various possibilities. It doesn't make much sense to insist that the sign he made was the same one as Menino, though, when Pierce isn't claiming that.
The views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of Celticsblog or its administration.
Al n' Perk No Layups!
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#95 » by Al n' Perk No Layups! » Thu May 1, 2008 3:11 am

bonsaiflipflops wrote:I hope the NBA (Stern and Jackson) cracks under the pressure of media attention as did the NFL (Goodell) when the Patriots versus Giants regular season game wouldn't be a national televised game. The NFL cracked and the NBA needs to rescind the fine.

(picture)

^ Oh $%^$! Pierce is in the mafia.
cisco
Veteran
And1: 48

Post#96 » by cisco » Thu May 1, 2008 3:39 am

RoyHobbs wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Not even Pierce is claiming that his sign was related to this one, or that it meant "Boston". I thought the official story was that it represented "blood, sweat, and tears"?

There are lots of signs that look similar. Shira Springer did a story this morning on all the various possibilities. It doesn't make much sense to insist that the sign he made was the same one as Menino, though, when Pierce isn't claiming that.

Pierce is claiming that. Someone called WEEI first thing this morning even before the photo came out and said the sign was a Boston sign that meant blood, sweat and tears. So you're wrong.
BrokenLeftyJumper
Pro Prospect

Post#97 » by BrokenLeftyJumper » Thu May 1, 2008 3:45 am

Someone called WEEI

I stopped reading after that. Seriously, someone called WEEI and you are putting more credence in the caller than Paul Pierce himself?

It means what Paul Pierce wants it to mean. Pierce has never said it has anything to do with same the sign that some people in Boston throw up to represent the city, nor does it have anything to do with the same Bloods sign. It's a complete coincidence that the signs are the exact same.
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#98 » by campybatman » Thu May 1, 2008 4:14 am

RoyHobbs wrote:It doesn't make much sense to insist that the sign he made was the same one as Menino, though, when Pierce isn't claiming that.

FYI I'm not insisting anything. If you read back I made the suggestion that I thought it could mean the letter "B." Then I'd posted the picture after hearing about it posted on the WEEI site on Wednesday. This picture is of the mayor shown displaying a similar hand gesture. That's it. You should take care not to misread people. I took the picture as amusing so I posted it. Anything said within that particular post was said in jest. Because I'm already aware of what Pierce said so I don't need you to tell me something I already know. And I already know and have listen to Ainge's thoughts on the matter. Again, you're barking up the wrong tree.
Ian Dmperato
Ballboy

Post#99 » by Ian Dmperato » Thu May 1, 2008 4:47 am

The Boston Herald wrote:But West Coast rapper Redrum 781, an avowed member of the Piru Bloods in Inglewood, said he knew Pierce in high school and said the hoop star
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#100 » by greenbeans » Thu May 1, 2008 4:54 am

redrum = somebody whose opinion has ZERO relevance. who cares really, the only thing we know for sure is that theres 4 or 5 things it could mean. and nobody here has any right to act like they know whats up, cause they dont
ranger001
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,752

Post#101 » by ranger001 » Thu May 1, 2008 4:59 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGAPpfrf4fk

Why would Pierce throw up a "blood sweat and tears" sign though as he claimed?

Consider the facts, Horford fakes him to the ground, puts up a jumpshot then as Pierce is on the ground on his hands and knees he yells trash in his face.

Its more likely that Pierce got mad and threw up a sign meaning to him something like "I'm looking for you from now on". I'm sure he did not intend to kill Horford literally, he just meant he didnt like getting disrespected and that he would be looking for revenge.

Does it deserve a fine? The NBA had to send a message, whether he meant it to be a gang sign or not they dont want a whole bunch of people throwing up gang signs as long as it can be interpreted as something else.
RoyHobbs
Senior

Post#102 » by RoyHobbs » Thu May 1, 2008 6:44 pm

Ian Dmperato wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Redrum's opinion > your opinion.

Get off Paul Pierce. Seriously.

Eh... all that proves (or at least suggests) is that Pierce isn't gang-affiliated. Was anybody claiming that he was?

Just because somebody isn't in a gang doesn't mean they can't throw a gang sign as a means of intimidation. All redrum did is confirm that the gesture could have been a gang sign.

I have no idea what Pierce's intent was; it's silly to me to argue it was or it wasn't a sign. The only legit answer to me is "It could have been, or it could have been a lot of other things. Only Pierce knows for sure."

I do think the $25,000 fine was ridiculous, though.

The views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of Celticsblog or its administration.
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,229

Post#103 » by TheSheriff » Thu May 1, 2008 7:44 pm

Pierce is from Inglewood. In Inglewood that gesture is the Blood's sign. Pierce knows what it means. The Hawks know what it means (Josh Childress is from LA). Throwing it was in inappropriate. But really Pierce make $14,000,000 before endorsements. He was fined $25,000. That is 0.2% of his annual salary. That is the equivalent of the average American being fined less than $100, not a big deal.
grantlongforpresident
Assistant Coach
And1: 124

Post#104 » by grantlongforpresident » Thu May 1, 2008 8:25 pm

has pierce given us any indication that he has anything to do with gangs?

no. His charity says the opposite. His behavior since college says the opposite. He even says the opposite.

If Isiah Rider gave that sign then maybe i'd be more suspicious. Long story short, there is really no evidence that he meant to flash a gang symbol. I can't believe this is even an incident.

Return to Boston Celtics