ImageImageImage

How good can Power/Rondo be?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

nightstarstolen
Banned User
And1: 0

How good can Power/Rondo be? 

Post#1 » by nightstarstolen » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:34 pm

Do you think without the Big 3, Powe could average 20/10 and Rondo could be 15pt/7ass/4rbd guy shooting 50%?

I just think Powe and Rondo have gone past being role players, to the point where they can both create a shot out of nothing, shoot a good %, and play effectively.

Can either of them become all-stars?
francishsu
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#2 » by francishsu » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:56 pm

Powe still has a long ways to go. I could see him averaging a double-double eventually. He's starting to see double-teams, which shows that teams see him as a threat in the post. He's going to have to learn to deal with them, just like how Big Al has to. So he can improve his passing and making decisions more quickly. And he should develop either the hook or turnaround jumper. I think he can be more effective with the turnaround.

In the EC, Rondo could become an All-Star.
Celtic Thug RIP @ Healthpoint
P2
Banned User

Post#3 » by P2 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:05 pm

Well, Leon "The Show" Powe is definitely starting material in this league. So basically our team is so good that we have a starter on the bench. Leon would come close to 20/10, but he still needs a year or two to be consistent.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,798

Post#4 » by meatball sub » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:20 pm

Powe could average 16 and 9 if he was in a similar situation to Al Jefferson, IMO.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#5 » by bruno sundov » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:34 pm

Powe reminds me of ben wallace but with hands. Just a thought. Rondo is going to be as good as he wants to be. If he want to be a top 3 pg in th L, he will be.
jjwalker
Junior

Post#6 » by jjwalker » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:35 pm

Powe reminds me of Theo Ratliff (when he was good) minus the shot blocking.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#7 » by bruno sundov » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:41 pm

There ya go. Theo was pretty nasty for a while. People forget that. If does 12 and 10 and plays tough D that would be great.

I heard some guy on the radio last night talking about Powe. he just kept sayin, "People forget, or don't know. This guys was a 2 team all american. In the Pac 10." If he said it once he said it 10 times. He is right.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,798

Post#8 » by meatball sub » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:51 pm

Yeah, Powe has major talent. It's been said a thousand times but he was a lottery pick before his injuries. After reading this passage from Wikipedia I understand why he's a black hole on offense:

Although Powe did not reach the sum of 14 in his per game points, rebounds, and assists necessary to guarantee the second year of his contract, that second year became guaranteed by Boston not waiving him by July 1, 2007. Powe has a similar hurdle of 16 for the sum of the three statistics to guarantee the third year of his contract (2008-09).

He's playing for a contract offensively but he is a bench player so that's perfectly fine with me as long as he's as aggressive as he's been when going to the hoop and finishing strong. He does the work on the defensive end to warrant a little bit of freedom offensively, imo.
BakersDozen
General Manager
And1: 728

Post#9 » by BakersDozen » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:38 pm

I think Rondo is a quality NBA starter and has all star potential. Powe i think is a solid NBA bench player, mind you a very good one. Dont jump on me guys just my opinion and believe me I'd absolutely love Leon to prove me wrong. If he was 2 or 3 inches taller he'd probally be our starting center..
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#10 » by ParticleMan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:47 pm

Leon can definitely be a starter, though allstar would be a stretch. 17-10 is about his ceiling if he was the main post guy.

You should have seen how explosive this guy was before his knee injuries. He was a monster. But the injuries did something for Leon, they really matured him and made him realize that he has to work hard all the time if he was going to achieve what he wanted. Nobody will outwork Leon. He may have contract incentives but trust me that's not what's driving the guy.

I would love to lock this guy up with a Perk-like contract.
BakersDozen
General Manager
And1: 728

Post#11 » by BakersDozen » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:55 pm

ParticleMan wrote:Leon can definitely be a starter, though allstar would be a stretch. 17-10 is about his ceiling if he was the main post guy.

You should have seen how explosive this guy was before his knee injuries. He was a monster. But the injuries did something for Leon, they really matured him and made him realize that he has to work hard all the time if he was going to achieve what he wanted. Nobody will outwork Leon. He may have contract incentives but trust me that's not what's driving the guy.

I would love to lock this guy up with a Perk-like contract.

A Perk like contract is fine. I just dont want Danny to blow his wad and give him 5 - 8 mill per year type deal.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#12 » by GuyClinch » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:02 pm

I think we have another year before we have to worry about resigning him, no?

Pete
LongTimeFan
Analyst
And1: 292

Post#13 » by LongTimeFan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:28 pm

I think when you look at these guys you have to keep in mind their biological age and their injury history. How good are their joints, especially their knees?

Powe is Perk's age, 24, whose knees have taken a hit. He's probably going to plateau pretty soon. Probably next year. Given his age and knees you have to figuire he's near his celing.

Perk's joints are in much better shape so he should probably improve for a few more years.

Rondo is 22 with no major injuries. Given the difficulty of the position, we can expect him to continue to improve at the same rate for at least a couple more years. This is to say we have no idea of how high his ceiling is. He very well might be an all star, if he didn't have three all-stars already on the team.
billfromBoston
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by billfromBoston » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:38 pm

LongTimeFan wrote:I think when you look at these guys you have to keep in mind their biological age and their injury history. How good are their joints, especially their knees?

Powe is Perk's age, 24, whose knees have taken a hit. He's probably going to plateau pretty soon. Probably next year. Given his age and knees you have to figuire he's near his celing.

Perk's joints are in much better shape so he should probably improve for a few more years.

Rondo is 22 with no major injuries. Given the difficulty of the position, we can expect him to continue to improve at the same rate for at least a couple more years. This is to say we have no idea of how high his ceiling is. He very well might be an all star, if he didn't have three all-stars already on the team.

...I respectfully disagree with you...what basis point do you have for this odd analysis?

Leon's skill develolpment has nothing to do with hs "joints"...working on his jump shot and post game with the Celtics staff is what will continue to improve his game-something that has nothing to do with his injury history...he doesn't need to get any more athletic, he needs t develop his jumper, hook, and ball-handling...

Powe isn't done developing his skills, and skill development is not related to age AT ALL...working on skills is something that a player can continue to develop as long as he wants t work at it...

...there are countless examples of players improving their shooting and footwork YEARS after entering the league...

You're talking about physical development,not skill development..Leon doesn't need any more physical development, he's a beast again..with a better shot and more work in the post he'll be a great player..
MVP16
Bench Warmer
And1: 3

Post#15 » by MVP16 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:59 pm

LongTimeFan wrote:I think when you look at these guys you have to keep in mind their biological age and their injury history. How good are their joints, especially their knees?

David West at age 24 and 2nd season in the league averaged 6.2 points and 4.2 rebounds a game. The next season his averages jumped to 17 points and 7.4 rebounds.

I think the fact that Powe had those knee injuries is actually an argument that his biological age doesn't show his actual development. He missed 2 years on developing his basketball skills and his athleticism at starting to come back. If Powe develops a reliable 15-17 foot jumper, I think he is a starting caliber pf in the league.
bawstin
Pro Prospect

Post#16 » by bawstin » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:49 pm

Teams game-plan for Rondo and he still delivers. Nobody game-plans for Powe. He could be a total bust as a starter once teams start trying to take advantage of his lack of height (but I hope not).
I'm just sayin' is all...
MalReyn
Analyst
And1: 5

Post#17 » by MalReyn » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:18 pm

I'm not so sure Powe will reach that level. He's still at the stage where he can take teams by surprise. Ryan Gomes went through it. Glen Davis went through it.

No guarantee the success will continue for him until he gets more time and teams take account of him.
3pt %
General Manager
And1: 2,675

Post#18 » by 3pt % » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:31 pm

Powe is playing way beyond expectations, closer to what he was projected as before the double knee injuries.

If you base his future projection on his pre-injury form, he could possibly be a 20-10 player.

As he is playing on a team with 3 all-stars and is (I believe) spending a lot of time playing against 2nd unit quality, 15-9/15-10 would be a great result as a starter.

As a second rounder, even staying in the league is a massive acheivement.

Rondo? Rondo is looking like an all-star in the future. The only thing slowing him down is the fact that we suddenly have a great crop of young PG in the league.
Captain_Caveman wrote:Probably couldn't spell "cat" if you spotted him the C and the A.
IEcelticfan
Bench Warmer

Post#19 » by IEcelticfan » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:46 am

if leon can develop some sort of a consistent perimeter mid-range shot and be a kurt-thomas type of banger/bodyguard player for our team, i wouldnt complain. 13 & 8 is more than reasonable
daveisceltics
Bench Warmer
And1: 517

Post#20 » by daveisceltics » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:56 am

P2 wrote:Well, Leon "The Show" Powe is definitely starting material in this league. So basically our team is so good that we have a starter on the bench. Leon would come close to 20/10, but he still needs a year or two to be consistent.

I have to give you props for the nickname.

Return to Boston Celtics