ImageImage

Scott Skiles: Yay or Nay?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Would You Be Happy With Skiles As The Head Coach?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 132

bango_the_buck
Bench Warmer
And1: 149

Post#13 » by bango_the_buck » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:37 am

Yay.
Scott Skiles on being compared by reporters to Hall of Fame coach Pat Riley: "If I thought you guys knew anything, I'd be flattered."
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,169
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#14 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:03 am

I said nay, but I am really on the fence.

Reasons for yay:
-If Hammond gets us a good, defensive-minded squad with minimal egos...Skiles is the man.
-Skiles will get the most out of guys he gels with.
-He has a pretty good track record.

Reasons for nay:
-Unless we blow up the team, there are a LOT of guys he will clash with...maybe that is a good thing because Redd/Mo/CV/etc. would maybe exert effort on D, but there is a very fine line to be crossed before there becomes a serious divide between players.
-He has seemed to be harsh on young, talented players with big egos. Yes, this is a good thing if you can clash enough to motivate and push them into success, but he seems to scuffle with them and they either play with a major chemistry issues or they sit deep on the bench.

Looking back at it, I think I would maybe change my answer to yay, especially with Hammond aboard.

I think Hammond is going to get us guys that are defensive-minded hungry kids like a Westbrook and I think Skiles will get the most out of our club.

Barring a Yi trade, we are going forward with Yi/Bogut up front for the future. I think Bogut and Skiles will be best of friends for the most part and while Yi might not have the balls yet that Skiles would want, I can't see Yi clashing with Skiles and hopefully Skiles can get him to develop some toughness inside.
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#15 » by paul » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:13 am

Yay from me. My only concern is that in his last few years with Chicago he never had a big man to work the offense through, which at this time is our biggest strength. But he's a smart guy and i can only assume he's capable of working that system.
BucksRuleAll22
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#16 » by BucksRuleAll22 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:24 am

What a horrible move. This is strike one for Hammond already. Anyone that suports this move is fine with the Bucks being decent but never good or great. This is what is wrong with the Bucks and alot of fans. The day Skiles takes any team to win a NBA title is the day Mo and Redd make the all defense team.
TheTrivium
Junior

Post#17 » by TheTrivium » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:40 am

LOL, Skiles is an above average, coach, what happened to the bucks hiring a big name, Skiles is like 4th on the list of the name coaches available.

WTF happened to Carlisle, or Van Gundy?
bucksbrewerspackersfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#18 » by bucksbrewerspackersfan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:20 am

I think we can do better than Skiles but if that is the best coach we can get we are in trouble. He is a time bomb look at the Suns and the Bulls. He burns bridges we need someone long term I view Skiles as a Larry Brown type good for a year or two. I am not saying his skill is the same as Larry Brown but with our roster next year unless we blow up the whole team he won't last that long. But if that is the best we get fine just shows us that we need a lot of work to get respect back from the league.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,373

Post#19 » by trwi7 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:22 am

bucksbrewerspackersfan wrote:I think we can do better than Skiles

We could also do much worse (see previous three head coaches) *Activates Epi shield*
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,233

Post#20 » by Sigra » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:26 am

If Redd stay then I am not happy with Skiles.

If Redd is traded then I am happy with Skiles.

I will vote "Yay" in hope that Redd is history
bucksbrewerspackersfan
Pro Prospect

Post#21 » by bucksbrewerspackersfan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:32 am

trwi7 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

We could also do much worse (see previous three head coaches) *Activates Epi shield*

I know we can do worse than Skiles we could hire Manute Bol as our head coach and maybe have a lion out on the court he could kill before every home game. But why hire a guy that won't last here more than two years while we rebuild this team? I just don't see him lasting longer than that before he blows up. We need to think three or fours and just not hire a guy for a year or two. Because we know next season we are not going to be good. You think Skiles can go losing like that for a long time as a coach before he kills Redd or Mo?
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,373

Post#22 » by trwi7 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:35 am

bucksbrewerspackersfan wrote: But why hire a guy that won't last here more than two years while we rebuild this team?

To instill a defensive mindset into the team?
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#23 » by smauss » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:48 am

I voted "yes" Skiles is a definite upgrade and I think can improve the balance of this team. If Skiles wears out his welcome in the 2-3 years then I believe the next coach will inherit a much better team. That said, he is still 3rd on my personal list behind JVG, and Carlisle; and I'm a bit apprehensive about him.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
bogutsdad
Senior

Post#24 » by bogutsdad » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:57 am

I read quite a bit on skiles and am not a huge fan. I can only think he is getting the job because carlisle said no thanks. Why they didn't give carlisle an offer he couldn't refuse I don't know! However he will be an improvement but so would of anyone. Time will tell, fingers crossed!
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Post#25 » by AussieBuck » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:12 pm

Not sure I can vote until I know if there are other options. I'd take him over our last two coaches in an instant but not over some other coaches mentioned recently.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#26 » by Rockmaninoff » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:14 pm

No. Would rather have Brown or Carlisle.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
vlietinho
Veteran
And1: 480

Post#27 » by vlietinho » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:19 pm

AussieBuck wrote:Not sure I can vote until I know if there are other options. I'd take him over our last two coaches in an instant but not over some other coaches mentioned recently.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Post#28 » by AussieBuck » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:19 pm

Rockmaninoff wrote:No. Would rather have Brown or Carlisle.
Yeah but do they want to be here. Here's my theory:
The Bucks know the locker room is cancerous and are keeping Bogut and Yi while shipping out Mo and Redd. The plan is to rebuild which means some more short term pain. Do Carlisle or Brown want their winning %'s taking a hit while our young guys develop? I doubt it and from what I can gather Skiles likes coaching younger guys because they are not set in their ways.

My guess is Skiles is the only veteran coach available that is willing to put up with a rebuild.
NotYoAvgNBAFan
Junior
And1: 1

Post#29 » by NotYoAvgNBAFan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:21 pm

Bring in Skiles and re-hire Larry Krystowiak as one of his top assistants as they are very good friends who have a bond of trust and they probaly would work well together.

Coach K can brief Skiles on how to avoid the difficulties that he faced with some players and get some much need experience as an assistant for his next job.

Bring in Skiles and let him bring back in Larry Krystkowiak 'if he wants' and roll with them. Coach K and Skiles are excellent hires.

I said this two months ago they should have hired him the minute the Bulls released him, and had them switch jobs...

That would be nice to do now. :nod:
bucksbrewerspackersfan
Pro Prospect

Post#30 » by bucksbrewerspackersfan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:11 pm

trwi7 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

To instill a defensive mindset into the team?

I just don't see him sticking around. I hope I am wrong but I just think it would be more useful to bring in a defensive minded coach who will be in the long term plans.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#31 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:13 pm

NotYoAvgNBAFan wrote:Bring in Skiles and re-hire Larry Krystowiak as one of his top assistants as they are very good friends who have a bond of trust and they probaly would work well together.

Coach K can brief Skiles on how to avoid the difficulties that he faced with some players and get some much need experience as an assistant for his next job.

Bring in Skiles and let him bring back in Larry Krystkowiak 'if he wants' and roll with them. Coach K and Skiles are excellent hires.

I said this two months ago they should have hired him the minute the Bulls released him, and had them switch jobs...

That would be nice to do now. :nod:

How the hell was that edited 3 times just to add 1 smiley? I mean its the same damn post, just with the emoticon there.
PaBuck
Sophomore

Post#32 » by PaBuck » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:20 pm

My guess is that Carlisle is the first choice. What we don't know is if he wants the job. If Skiles does, I would be happy with him as a proven NBA coach.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks