What is Basket ball's "Mendoza Line"?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

ubernathan
Veteran
And1: 548

Post#25 » by ubernathan » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:46 pm

GJense4181 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Shouldn't it be having more field goal attempts than points?

Maybe.
Texas Longhorns
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#26 » by Texas Longhorns » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:48 pm

40%
- Vince Young - Kevin Durant - LaMarcus Aldrige - T.J. Ford - D.J. Augustin
eatyourchildren
Lead Assistant
And1: 11

Post#27 » by eatyourchildren » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:53 pm

rsavaj wrote:I'd say Kwame Brown is the human equivalent of the 'mendoza line'. Seriously though, all busts are compared to him, right?

According to some Cavs fans, he's not that bad.
ugkfan2681" wrote: wrote: i dont take **** lightly im from the land of the trill home of the rockets RESPECT OK.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,094

Post#28 » by Schad » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:22 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well personally, I think it would have been best if when they started doing the MVP, they did it after the playoffs, thus insuring that the guy considered to have been the best that year got the most prestigious award.

However, as long as they've decided it's a regular season award, I think they do the right thing getting the ballots in before they can be swayed by the playoffs.

Also, since it's a regular season award, I don't take it that seriously. People who complain about Shaq missing out on MVPs often don't consider that everyone knows that the MVP isn't everything. For example, because Shaq won the 3 rings with dominant playoffs, we all know he was the best player in those years. None of us thinks "Well he didn't win the regular season MVP, so he must not have been that good."

No disagreement here. I don't consider the MVP to be particularly important, and Iverson-over-Shaq is Exhibit A in that regard, just as it's silly (IMO) that because Kobe was unfairly denied the award two years ago, he has an advantage in the balloting this season.
**** your asterisk.
sweetlou23
Bench Warmer
And1: 55

AI's MVP YEAR (2001) 

Post#29 » by sweetlou23 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:14 pm

A

MVP = Most Valuable Player The sixers won the east in AIs MVP year. If you took him off of that team the sixers would have probably won 25 games max. the offense sixers that the sixers ran was similar to the rams offense during the dickerson years "dickerson right, dickerson left, dickerson up the middle." Looking at shooting percentage only is a poor way to analyze what he accomplished that season.

Also, Kobe is one of the favorites to win the MVP this year, but if you look at his stats and AI's stats they are a wash. But iverson is not even in the conversation about mvps this year because denver is seen as an underachieving team. If denver had won 5 or 6 more games and AI's stats were exactly the same as they are now, he would be in the MVP conversation.

one of the things that no one is talking about in this series is what it would mean for AI's legacy to upend the lakers. AI is going head to head arguably the best player in the world, on the NBA's biggest stage and can avenge the sixers finals loss to the lakers and shut up the naysayers. He's healthy, (played in all 82 games) and led the league in minutes, has support, and the lakers really can't stop him. don't sleep, he is going to bring it. i expect a very competitive series.

i
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#30 » by SeattleJazzFan » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:27 pm

I've thought about this a little bit and the conclusion I've come to is that the NBA "Mendoza line" is about 40% FGs.

If you are below that line, you had better be among about the top 5 players in the game at some other important aspect of the game, ie, defense(younger Ben Wallace and Bruce Bowen come to mind), passing (Kidd), rebounding, etc. If you shoot under 40% and don't do anything else extremely well, you are hurting your team and probably shouldn't be in the league.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#31 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:49 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:I've thought about this a little bit and the conclusion I've come to is that the NBA "Mendoza line" is about 40% FGs.

If you are below that line, you had better be among about the top 5 players in the game at some other important aspect of the game, ie, defense(younger Ben Wallace and Bruce Bowen come to mind), passing (Kidd), rebounding, etc. If you shoot under 40% and don't do anything else extremely well, you are hurting your team and probably shouldn't be in the league.

I think that is a very accurate point that you just made...
OzThunder
Rookie
And1: 393

Post#32 » by OzThunder » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:38 pm

Maurice Brooks who does the rookie rankings said earlier in the year that 40% is NBA's mendoza line. He was talking about Durants FG% when durant was under. Seems about right to me
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,741

Post#33 » by meatball sub » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:03 pm

The Mendoza Line was reached by Joe Johnson last night when he took 22 shots to score 19 points. I think that's prolly the best stat for the Mendoza Basketball Line.

More shots than points = hurting your team.
Duiz
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#34 » by Duiz » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:08 pm

Mendoza line? PER 15.0?
DrunkOnMystery
Starter
And1: 0

Post#35 » by DrunkOnMystery » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:16 pm

Duiz wrote:Mendoza line? PER 15.0?

If 15.0 is the NBA average for PER, then that doesn't really work. It'd be more like someone having a PER under 8 or something to that effect. Not just average, or even below average. Baseball players who bat below the Mendoza line are pretty much just considered to be wasting space on the team.

It's why Atlanta Braves fans wanted to bludgeon Andruw Jones to death with a shovel last year. Well, one of the reasons.
The_Believer
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#36 » by The_Believer » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:13 pm

Larry Hughes, Ben Wallace, and Chris Duhon are the definition for this.

Return to The General Board