ImageImage

Bucks interviewing Suns Griffin for GM (LGator breaks story)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

L Gator
Freshman
And1: 0

Bucks interviewing Suns Griffin for GM (LGator breaks story) 

Post#1 » by L Gator » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:56 pm

I just had lunch at Elsa's and sat right behind Herb Kohl. It was him and 4 other people. He was either interviewing some one from the Suns or just picking his brain. There was a lot of talk about Jason Kidd, the west and big time players leaving there teams, like Chris Paul. There was also talk about Jerry Colangelo and some owners business but I could not hear too well.

I tried to strain to hear more but that was about all I got. Sorry my skills in espionage are weak.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Post#2 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:02 pm

Herb's a massive NBA fan......didn't you get that impression? I mean like a guy who if he wasn't age 74 but instead 24, he would be a full-time poster on here.

Interesting on it maybe being a Suns guy. Since you noted five people, it sounds like the braintrust was with him. That's unfortunate.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Bucksjam
Junior

Post#3 » by Bucksjam » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:05 pm

Are you sure it wasn't Kohl's body double...???

Did you have time to implant the micro-chip into his brain...???
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#4 » by fam3381 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:46 pm

Well that's very interesting.

If it was someone from the Suns, obviously the first person I think of is David Griffin since he's been touted as a GM candidate. Did he look like this?

Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#5 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:30 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Herb's a massive NBA fan......didn't you get that impression? I mean like a guy who if he wasn't age 74 but instead 24, he would be a full-time poster on here.

Interesting on it maybe being a Suns guy. Since you noted five people, it sounds like the braintrust was with him. That's unfortunate.

Yeah, as fam mentioned the Suns guy is almost certainly David Griffin.
And I would guess the 3 other people there with Kohl would be none other than Ron Walter, John Steinmiller, and Mike Burr.

We've probably already scared him away and/or gave him some stupid lowball offer of $1 mil/yr that he will find insulting.
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#6 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:33 pm

Did you overhear Kohl asking if he could embrace a plan to win now and rebuild for the future without trading any starters or Villanueva?
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#7 » by fam3381 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:36 pm

Btw, am I missing something or has the JS not realized that we are looking for a GM?

Seriously, why does the New York media have a monopoly on rumors about our GM search? Woelfel's the only local guy I can think of who has written anything about this stuff.

And yes, I realize this is probably a rhetorical question :)
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#8 » by Mags FTW » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:41 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:it sounds like the braintrust was with him

They need a more fitting nickname.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#9 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:42 pm

adamcz wrote:Did you overhear Kohl asking if he could embrace a plan to win now and rebuild for the future without trading any starters or Villanueva?

:bowdown:

The first guy who says "Yes I can!" to that question gets the job.

jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#10 » by jerrod » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:43 pm

Mags FTW wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

They need a more fitting nickname.

how about lamefu.., uh lametrust
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,017

Post#11 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:48 pm

How long did it take Kohl and his three cronies to discuss how much to leave for a tip. And did they end up leaving an apple pie for a tip, because it was the "safe" choice?
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#12 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:48 pm

Mags FTW wrote:-=They need a more fitting nickname.

I agree....but I don't like the "cronies" term for some reason....not enough sizzle to it. Michael Scott, Dwight Schrute and Jim Halpert seem to fit but there isn't a tagname with those guys. There has to be a better pop culture reference from some movie or TV show.....

I appreciate our poster starting this thread....It's got to be a good joke in the Bucks front office that RealGM people, spread out across the city, are now weighing in with Kohl activity reports.

L Gator
Freshman

Post#13 » by L Gator » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:57 pm

Fam it was definitely David Griffin if that is his pic. Also Walter wasn't there, I would have recognized him, I am not sure what the other members of the trannytrust look like so I can't say who was there for sure.
mcfromage
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#14 » by mcfromage » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:09 pm

I think I'd be happy with Griffin as GM. Here's an excerpt from Newsday about Griffin who apparently has been linked to the Knicks as well:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnist ... 555.column

If the Knicks are tired of the point-guard approach, they should look no further than the Suns' vice president of basketball operations, Dave Griffin. He never played in the Finals or hoisted an MVP trophy. He only worked his way up from coaching in community college to compiling tedious scouting reports and video breakdowns to running the draft over more than a decade with the Suns.

There are other names that wouldn't look good on the marquee but who might be able to assemble a winning team. Mark Warkentien in Denver is as respected as they come. The No. 2 guys in Seattle (Scott Perry), Detroit (John Hammond) or Cleveland (Chris Grant) may not be ready, but how do we know until they get a chance? (Grant has a degree in psychology, a must for anyone working at MSG.)

Griffin got passed over in favor of a flashier name, Kerr, when the Suns were looking for a president of basketball operations. If you are looking for a comparison, he broke into the NBA in the Suns' media relations department, as Eric Mangini did with the Cleveland Browns.

"I don't know if he's a big enough name for that job," a person familiar with the Knicks' situation said.

But that's the problem. Dolan has run the Knicks with too much emphasis on names and not enough on substance. I am not endorsing any of the aforementioned candidates, though I like them all. What I am saying is, if there is going to be a new president of basketball operations at the Garden, the search needs to go beyond the obvious.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM

Post#15 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:28 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I agree....but I don't like the "cronies" term for some reason....not enough sizzle to it. Michael Scott, Dwight Schrute and Jim Halpert seem to fit but there isn't a tagname with those guys. There has to be a better pop culture reference from some movie or TV show.....

I appreciate our poster starting this thread....It's got to be a good joke in the Bucks front office that RealGM people, spread out across the city, are now weighing in with Kohl activity reports.

Lately I've been fluctuating between referring to them as the "committee" and "The Commission" (as in the National Crime Syndicate Commission)
They just remind me of really inept Mafia group. Maybe their nickname could be drawn from the famous "Murder Inc." group.
But our boys could be known as "Meddling Inc."
97-98

Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,597

Post#16 » by Balls2TheWalls » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:34 pm

Just bring me someone with some sort of vision.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,904

Post#17 » by stellation » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:38 pm

adamcz wrote:Did you overhear Kohl asking if he could embrace a plan to win now and rebuild for the future without trading any starters or Villanueva?

:rofl:
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#18 » by Bernman » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:40 pm

The Brain Drain

The Saboteurs

Kohl's Moles
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,590

Post#19 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:45 pm

Mags FTW wrote:They need a more fitting nickname.

Lacking-brains-trust. LBT.

Completely coincidental that the acronym is LBT. Just putting that out there...
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM

Post#20 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:46 pm

L Gator wrote:Fam it was definitely David Griffin if that is his pic. Also Walter wasn't there, I would have recognized him, I am not sure what the other members of the trannytrust look like so I can't say who was there for sure.

The only other person that I have a pic of in that group would be John Steinmiller

Was he there?
97-98

Return to Milwaukee Bucks