ImageImageImageImageImage

The Market of Toronto's 2008/2009 Expirings.

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Trilogy
RealGM
And1: 3,584

The Market of Toronto's 2008/2009 Expirings. 

Post#1 » by Trilogy » Fri Mar 7, 2008 12:40 am

Ok, we of course talk a lot about the viability of using our expiring contracts next year to attain a high level star for our team. Of course, an interesting concept is the fact that how many teams are in the same position to do so. If there are many, than of course the market becomes larger and competition arises.

This is a little long btw.

I
pdawg81
Senior
And1: 22

Post#2 » by pdawg81 » Fri Mar 7, 2008 12:44 am

Well thought out post - good job.

Too many factors in my opinion that add to the unknown...
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#3 » by supersub15 » Fri Mar 7, 2008 1:04 am

Great writeup, Trilogy. Problem is, who are the sellers?
- Memphis might want to trade Miller
- The Nets might be looking to trade Carter and/or Jefferson
- Indiana might be looking to move Murphy and/or Dunleavy
- Detroit might be looking to move Rasheed if they fail again
- Clippers might be looking to move Brand

The only good young asset I would have liked was Gasol, and the Lakers nabbed him for almost nothing. I wish those expirings were this year.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#4 » by 5DOM » Fri Mar 7, 2008 1:07 am

elton brand has a player option for next year at $16m (not too sure) which he probably will pick up because of the injury this season.

and i dont want him at $16m.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#5 » by 5DOM » Fri Mar 7, 2008 1:13 am

after looking at the teams that might be interested in expiring contracts, i'd say we wont probably get a high level star (cause none of them has one).

miller, dunleavy or jefferson would be nice tho.
Trilogy
RealGM
And1: 3,584

Post#6 » by Trilogy » Fri Mar 7, 2008 1:15 am

supersub15 wrote:Great writeup, Trilogy. Problem is, who are the sellers?

The only good young asset I would have liked was Gasol, and the Lakers nabbed him for almost nothing. I wish those expirings were this year.

Yea, to make a move, you need to have someone selling.

Milwaukee is a team I'd throw in there, with Redd being the ideal choice. I personally am not a huge fan of Redd's game, but if it's cheap, then go for it.

Indiana is probably looking to move the guys you mentioned.

The Nets with Jefferson look to be a good target for some teams, depending upon what direction the Nets are headed. Of course, Thorn isn't going to give him to us cheap at all. He ain't no Babcock.

It really ultimately depends upon whom is going to fall in the next year. Alot of people didn't think Miami was going to flounder so badly this year (though, I thought they would, but not this badly I suppose).

You could get a team like Denver getting desperate, since they're on the bubble in the West. Atlanta's a tough team to read, but they could end up as sellers.

But you're right, at the end of the day, someone needs to be selling for us to jump on it. Hopefully a team starts going south and we can nab someone real good for ourselves.
crossroads
Pro Prospect
And1: 373

Post#7 » by crossroads » Fri Mar 7, 2008 1:18 am

supersub15 wrote:Great writeup, Trilogy. Problem is, who are the sellers?

Yeah, like you said now that he's outlines the buyers, we should probably talk about the potential sellers.
On top of the ones you listed i would think the Pacers would also be looking to trade Jermaine O'neal. Milwaukee might be looking to shop Redd. If Atlanta regresses they could look to trade Joe Johnson. Utah would likely deal Kirilenko for the right price. If they lose in the first round again would Houston look to trade McGrady? A lot of it will depend on which teams decide next year it's time to start over
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#8 » by supersub15 » Fri Mar 7, 2008 1:33 am

crossroads wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yeah, like you said now that he's outlines the buyers, we should probably talk about the potential sellers.
On top of the ones you listed i would think the Pacers would also be looking to trade Jermaine O'neal. Milwaukee might be looking to shop Redd. If Atlanta regresses they could look to trade Joe Johnson. Utah would likely deal Kirilenko for the right price. If they lose in the first round again would Houston look to trade McGrady? A lot of it will depend on which teams decide next year it's time to start over

What's working for us is time. Yes, time. Detroit has 2 more years of good play, Boston 3. The rest of the East is garbage (Orlando is dead meat with that contract to Lewis). So, if we want to become long term contenders, I'd rather we trade for a young player. I know that won't come easy nor cheap, but somebody like Rudy Gay, Al Thornton, etc. would be perfect.
crossroads
Pro Prospect
And1: 373

Post#9 » by crossroads » Fri Mar 7, 2008 1:42 am

supersub15 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

What's working for us is time. Yes, time. Detroit has 2 more years of good play, Boston 3. The rest of the East is garbage (Orlando is dead meat with that contract to Lewis). So, if we want to become long term contenders, I'd rather we trade for a young player. I know that won't come easy nor cheap, but somebody like Rudy Gay, Al Thornton, etc. would be perfect.

I agree, a good young player that can grow with the team would be ideal. Although expecting patience out of Raptor fans is asking a little much.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#10 » by Nolan » Fri Mar 7, 2008 1:44 am

Great post

Next year we are going to have a chance to be major players on the trade market, lets just hope there are guys available.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
HumbleBumbleBee
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#11 » by HumbleBumbleBee » Fri Mar 7, 2008 2:04 am

I
Got Raps FanFiction?
Not Just a Ballboy
Pro Prospect
And1: 18

Post#12 » by Not Just a Ballboy » Fri Mar 7, 2008 3:27 am

That was a great read, Trilogy!

I am kind of hoping AK47 and Sloan have another playoff spat. Hopefully Utah will be a seller (of AK47 atleast)

I have a feeling Marion will be available next year. I am kind of nervous of Colangelo giving him a long term max contract though. He is an iron man, but those knees have a lot of mileage on them.
raptor_fanatic4
Rookie
And1: 2

Post#14 » by raptor_fanatic4 » Fri Mar 7, 2008 3:30 am

Great Post!

Very detailed and thought out.

For possible targets, i'd like to see Magette, Jefferson type of player. Michael Redd would be very good aswell.
dirtybird
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#15 » by dirtybird » Fri Mar 7, 2008 3:42 am

It should also be pointed out that the Raptors could sign Delfino to a qualifying offer and resign Brezec for another season and have even more expiring contracts (about $5-6M more).

And it would be nice if we all came up with a list of players on rebuilding teams that might be available.
RandomRaptorfan
Veteran
And1: 2,404

Post#16 » by RandomRaptorfan » Fri Mar 7, 2008 3:48 am

This offseason is gonna be a huge question mark for me...I dunno who BC can reel in but GIT ER DONE BC
HumbleBumbleBee
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#17 » by HumbleBumbleBee » Fri Mar 7, 2008 4:18 am

BC did (to some extent) say the next move will be a big one
Got Raps FanFiction?
ponder276
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#18 » by ponder276 » Fri Mar 7, 2008 4:30 am

If we could get RJ I'd be ecstatic. Don't see it happening though.
ImissJordan
General Manager
And1: 968

Post#19 » by ImissJordan » Fri Mar 7, 2008 4:40 am

HumbleBumbleBee wrote:BC did (to some extent) say the next move will be a big one

When was this?
Fenris-77
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,203

Post#20 » by Fenris-77 » Fri Mar 7, 2008 4:52 am

raptor_fanatic4 wrote:Great Post!

Very detailed and thought out.

For possible targets, i'd like to see Magette, Jefferson type of player. Michael Redd would be very good aswell.

He might even be available for the right price. The problem in Milwaukee is that they're screwed three ways from Sunday by the amount of money they have tied up in Dan Gadzuric and Bobby Simmons. That's about 15M per for two more seasons after this paid to chumps who don't even really play for them. I have trouble imagining them trading away Mike Redd without moving at least one of those two guys (kind of like SAC and Kenny Thomas).

The question you need to ask yourself is do you think Redd is good enough to warrant eating three more seasons of Dan G, or (even worse) two seasons of Bobby 'Trick Knee' Simmons. The answer might be yes. If B-Co can pry Redd out without having to take on one of those two contracts I'll do a happy dance in the street. He's not the defensive stopper we need, but he does pretty much everything else.

Return to Toronto Raptors