ImageImageImageImageImage

Both of our PGs are playing badly

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Both of our PGs are playing badly 

Post#1 » by supersub15 » Tue Mar 4, 2008 12:16 pm

Since TJ came back 6 games ago, we are 3-3, but as can be seen on the floor during those games (even during the wins), the PGs are not playing up to their standard from earlier in the season.

Here are the stats (last 6 games):

Jose Calderon:

Code: Select all

Season   Last 6 games
Min    31.9       31.2
FG%    .539       .422
3FG%   .461       .312
Ast/G   8.7        6.8
Tov/G   1.7        2.8
PPG    12.5        8.5

He's down across the board, despite playing the same number of minutes. Also, his already anemic FGA on the season (9.1) are down further to 7.5 per game.

TJ Ford:

Code: Select all

Season   Last 6 games
Min    23.3       21.1
FG%    .443       .359
3FG%   .226       .166
Ast/G   6.3        5.3
Tov/G   1.9        0.8
PPG    11.9       11.3

Ford, on the other hand has lower turnover numbers. However, in less minutes, he's shooting slightly more (10.7 as compared to 10.3) despite dismal percentages.

Both PGs have to pick it up now with Bosh out, or else we have no chance winning some of the games coming up.
traveller
Junior
And1: 0

Post#2 » by traveller » Tue Mar 4, 2008 12:26 pm

probably the single most important factor as to why raps are losing these days ... what was a very strong positive has vanished!
The Letter V
Analyst
And1: 11

Post#3 » by The Letter V » Tue Mar 4, 2008 12:28 pm

I think both our PGs' struggles can be attributed to the fact that our offense is heavily predicated on the pick and roll and now with the major component of that play (CB4) is gone, our PGs have to find new ways to generate offense.
TrashTalk
Pro Prospect

Post#4 » by TrashTalk » Tue Mar 4, 2008 12:29 pm

you cannot compare fords numbers because he is still working his way back into the lineup
give it a couple of weeks and then you can make an accurate comparison
HumbleBumbleBee
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#5 » by HumbleBumbleBee » Tue Mar 4, 2008 12:29 pm

bring back dixson!
Got Raps FanFiction?
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#6 » by supersub15 » Tue Mar 4, 2008 12:33 pm

TrashTalk wrote:you cannot compare fords numbers because he is still working his way back into the lineup
give it a couple of weeks and then you can make an accurate comparison

He's playing about the same number of minutes and trying to contribute on the floor. Right now, he's part of the problem with Jose. Plus, he's been back from his stinger for about a month now.
TheMainEvent
Analyst
And1: 1,814

Post#7 » by TheMainEvent » Tue Mar 4, 2008 12:38 pm

I think Calderon has been struggling the last few games because of Bosh's absense. He doesn't get as many open shots (which is the only time he attempts to shoot) because Bosh isn't there to attract some of the defense, and because other players start to shoot more.

TJ's struggles could be attributed to the fact that he's still re-adjusting and getting back into game shape. But he's always been more of a "shoot first" guy, and with Bosh out the last few, Ford has been taking some bad attempts (well, atleast more than usual) and trying even harder to score, as well.

I think the reason the Raps have tanked the last two games (mostly without Bosh) is cuz the other players are now trying too hard to score for themselves, thinking they need to pick up the points from Bosh's absense. Delfino seems to be chucking a few more shots, same with Bargnani, Ford, etc. Plus, our defense sucks even more.

Kapono and Calderon, arguably the Raps' two best shooters though, are shooting very little, and thats probably because both are very selective shooters and only attempt shots when wide open.

Edit:
In all honesty, I think that if the Raptors had a head coach that was very good at Xs and Os and drew up and executed actual plays and whatnot, that the Raptors would have won the last few games and have played much better. Smitch seems to always rely on one offensive gameplan: "Look for Bosh first, and everybody else spread the floor". Good idea, yes, but not too effective when the main guy is out with injury and there doesnt seem to be any other plays being drawn up. And of course, our rebounding and defense suck moreso than usual.
Nially
Rookie

Post#8 » by Nially » Tue Mar 4, 2008 12:38 pm

Calderon is tired, IMO.

Ford just isn't as good.

there i said it! i've done a complete 180 since the start of the season!
"It's not adversity. It's just an appendix,"
T-Spot
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#9 » by T-Spot » Tue Mar 4, 2008 12:49 pm

Calderon is struggling because;

He has hit the wall. This was even more noticable in the home and home with the Knicks where a lot of his shots were short. Now without Bosh he needs to step his game up, but his inability to create his own shot and his unselfishness have turned into glaring weaknesses. Loosing the main recipeint of his passes and the main reason why he is open a lot, makes it harder for him to get assists and keep his TO's down.

Ford is struggling because;

I don't know why he is taking as many shots as his is. Does he want to compensate scoring with Bosh out, does he want to get back into the groove, or does he want to punish anyone who burns him on defense by throwing up air balls? I wish the pass first Ford I saw against Miami [his first game back] would come back.
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#10 » by Hendrix » Tue Mar 4, 2008 1:02 pm

Yeah the PG position just hasn't been the same.

With Calderon I think it's because he's a great complimentary player, that can really help the team win. But without Bosh our starting line up is just a bunch of complimentary players, and no real game changers. I mean, Calderon, Parker, Moon, and Rasho are all players that have specialized skills that can help a team win, but they need great players to play off of. Bargnani could be a game changer down the road maybe, but right now he's simply not that good, and inconsistant. Calderon seems like the type that would make great players look better, but also needs great players to make him look better.

Ford simply hasn't been playing as good yet as he has in the past. He's the type that can impose his wil on a game, and get anywhere he wants on the court, but just hasn't got back into form yet. He does seem like he's trying to score a bit more lately. Maybe trying to make up for Bosh's absence? Hopefully he gets there soon, and Bosh comes back quickly.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
RapTelligence
General Manager
And1: 96

Post#11 » by RapTelligence » Tue Mar 4, 2008 1:23 pm

TJ has to realise that he is more effective when he gets everyone involved and he has shown he can. He screws up when he thinks he has to take over the game.
rdtx2005
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#12 » by rdtx2005 » Tue Mar 4, 2008 1:26 pm

RapTelligence wrote:TJ has to realise that he is more effective when he gets everyone involved and he has shown he can. He screws up when he thinks he has to take over the game.

does help when his 'unit' shoots bricks as well..

Jason "Can't get open" Kapono
Chuckfino
Kris "I'm MJ" Humphries

easy for you to say though...
RapTelligence
General Manager

Post#13 » by RapTelligence » Tue Mar 4, 2008 1:30 pm

rdtx2005 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

does help when his 'unit' shoots bricks as well..

Jason "Can't get open" Kapono
Chuckfino
Kris "I'm MJ" Humphries

easy for you to say though...
I don't hate TJ. I realize he is a young PG still learning the trade. However, he does that even if Bosh is on the floor sometimes. He just gets into a mode where he thinks he should take over game and tries to go over 3 guys for a layup or a fadeaway.
mintsa
Head Coach
And1: 3,745

Post#14 » by mintsa » Tue Mar 4, 2008 1:31 pm

Jose jumper had just vanished. In the stretch of games when TJ was gone he couldnt miss.
rdtx2005
RealGM

Post#15 » by rdtx2005 » Tue Mar 4, 2008 1:33 pm

RapTelligence wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I don't hate TJ. I realize he is a young PG still learning the trade. However, he does that even if Bosh is on the floor sometimes. He just gets into a mode where he thinks he should take over game and tries to go over 3 guys for a layup or a fadeaway.

err.. Bosh has been injured the last 2.. and from what i have seen.. Calderon usually plays with Bosh.
Komodo
Banned User
And1: 791

Post#16 » by Komodo » Tue Mar 4, 2008 1:33 pm

I agree RT. I appreciate both our PG's, but I prefer JC's style of play to TJ's. FGA/min tells the story.
rdtx2005
RealGM

Post#17 » by rdtx2005 » Tue Mar 4, 2008 1:35 pm

komodo19 wrote:I agree RT. I appreciate both our PG's, but I prefer JC's style of play to TJ's. FGA/min tells the story.

yes.. lets ignore the 9 turnovers Jose has the last 2 games ;) lets also ignore that pass first PGs like Chris Paul jacks up shots as well (Ranks #28 in the NBA in Field-Goal Attempts Per 48 Minutes(21.01)).. but then again.. it's TJ Ford.. so he must be a offense killer on the Raptors because he is Mike James in disguise.

supersub15 said it right.. both pgs have played craptacular.
jamaicamon
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#18 » by jamaicamon » Tue Mar 4, 2008 1:41 pm

It may be time for TJ to become a starter again
Komodo
Banned User
And1: 791

Post#19 » by Komodo » Tue Mar 4, 2008 1:43 pm

rdtx2005 wrote:yes.. lets ignore the 9 turnovers Jose has the last 2 games ;) lets also ignore that pass first PGs like Chris Paul jacks up shots as well (Ranks #28 in the NBA in Field-Goal Attempts Per 48 Minutes(21.01)).. but then again.. it's TJ Ford.. so he must be a offense killer on the Raptors because he is Mike James in disguise.

supersub15 said it right.. both pgs have played craptacular.

It's true. Correlation = Bosh's absence.
RapTelligence
General Manager

Post#20 » by RapTelligence » Tue Mar 4, 2008 1:44 pm

rdtx2005 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

err.. Bosh has been injured the last 2.. and from what i have seen.. Calderon usually plays with Bosh.
I thought this thread was about the last 6 games where at times ford has played with everybody. But thats besides the point. My observation was more on TJ during the season. Even though he was our best player before he went down. Even your best player can have some shortcomings that can be overcome. Right?

Return to Toronto Raptors