ImageImageImageImage

This is your Magic!

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MagicHolland
General Manager
And1: 301

This is your Magic! 

Post#1 » by MagicHolland » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:21 pm

34-22 sitting atop the Southeast division. Third in the East. We have Dwight Howard locked up for 6 more years. An entertaining team to watch. I just love it.

This is the way I look at it..

Could it have been better? Yes, off course I was hoping for a trade to land a big time player like Andre Miller, or solid contributions from Thomas, or Brad Miller and Garcia. Even the names of Frye and Jack came up.. Wilcox maybe? It all sounds like it could've had an impact. We can all pretend to know what the GM's have discussed but we just don't know. The only one confirmed by Otis is the Seattle deal. I do have a feeling that Otis has offered a similar package to Seattle like the SAS deal. But Presti (pretty sure thats his name) is a rookie GM who came over from SA to Seattle.. Maybe got them the benefit because of that? Just speculation.. Miller and Garcia, Otis says they were just interested in Hedo. That's a no go imo.. Wilcox, I'm not sure what happened there.

Andre Miller? I don't think Philly wants to trade him in the first place. VC, J.O'Neal? Could be had I think but they're just to injury prone, especially with lots of money owed to them..

I guess we got worked up a bit by all the big names that got traded already. Nobody would've gotten Gasol as cheap as the Lakers did. Mavs had to give up Harris, picks, and a lot of money for Kidd, that wasn't cheap. Shaq for Marion? So far I think that will pretty much cancel out.. All the crap the Cavs got? I don't know but I don't like that trade for them.. Bibby was a steal but will it really make a big difference for Atlanta? Not sure, but for what they gave up it's worth the try.

I don't see how we could've made a big splash without giving up Hedo or gambling big time on O'neal or VC..

As for some smaller trades to just fill holes, we don't know if there were any opportunities out there.

All I know is that I am satisfied with the teams progress and after all we'll still go as far as Dwight takes us. Have a good night and watch the Magic rebounding from last nights loss tomorrow.
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#2 » by Cigamodnalro » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:26 pm

I can't believe we couldn't have gotten someone like Reggie Evans for Pat Garrity's contract. We blew $13KK in expirings, and missed out on an opportunity to take advantage of our assets.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
MagicalMan
Analyst
And1: 9

Post#3 » by MagicalMan » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:26 pm

Thats the problem. The short term success has people blind to the big picture. This was the best chance to add serious talent for a few years. And rather than taking a chance Otis just played it safe so he could hold onto a player that never plays (JJ) and a late first round pick.
laVal03
Sixth Man
And1: 6

Post#4 » by laVal03 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:26 pm

Good call

I love how everyone gets so bent out of shape and Fire otis this f*** otis that

Put it this way I wanted some type of trade as well but be thankful we didn't do what Cleveland did!!

man if I was Lebron I'd be pissed that that was ferry's best shot
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,992

Post#5 » by drsd » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:27 pm

The O-Sen reports this as official.

There was not a trade.

The Orlando Magic will finish the season with the same roster they have had the past few months, letting the NBA trade deadline pass Thursday afternoon without making any moves.

Trade deadline passes with no Orlando Magic moves
laVal03
Sixth Man
And1: 6

Post#6 » by laVal03 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:29 pm

yeah I see the point of the expirings especially when I don't see guys like arroyo and garrity back

but if we traded arroyo we would have needed to be getting a pg back and I don't think garrity straight up for anybody would have happened

yes expirings were the trend but also with 1st round picks

when giving one up for a player like gasol BIG DEAL but for Kurt Thomas?? come on
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#7 » by damo[23] » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:31 pm

Thank you MH.

We have no clue what we got offered, what Otis offered.

We KNOW that Otis said he was after a SG and a PF, so we know he recognised gaps in our roster. We KNOW he was talking to teams, so we know he was doing any thing.

But ofcourse its the trade deadline, we didnt make a trade [except for Evans and Cook earlier in the season, but that doesnt count does it people?] so we have to moan.

Are we disappointed we couldnt - not didnt - couldnt shift a expiring or two? Yes. Is it the end of the world? Nope.
MagicalMan
Analyst
And1: 9

Post#8 » by MagicalMan » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:33 pm

laVal03 wrote:yeah I see the point of the expirings especially when I don't see guys like arroyo and garrity back

but if we traded arroyo we would have needed to be getting a pg back and I don't think garrity straight up for anybody would have happened

yes expirings were the trend but also with 1st round picks

when giving one up for a player like gasol BIG DEAL but for Kurt Thomas?? come on

you can always pickup a pg on a 10 day contract if you have to. Theres always a safety net. Its not like we would do much worse at the pg with a D league player over arroyo.
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#9 » by mhectorgato » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:34 pm

A big name wasn't a key for me - though Miller would have been nice indeed.

As for some smaller trades to just fill holes, we don't know if there were any opportunities out there.

That was my biggest hope, a good serviceable player. Even if we'd take back more salary to get him that would be fine with me.

Evans is not a big name player, but has stepped in and helped us. It may be that our roster at the 2 is full of mediocre players, but he's been an improvement. That's what I was hoping for at the minimum.

That said, I'm very happy with the Magic now. It's the future improvement that becomes a concern.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
Magicmehdi
Bench Warmer
And1: 7

Post#10 » by Magicmehdi » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:38 pm

MagicalMan wrote:Thats the problem. The short term success has people blind to the big picture. This was the best chance to add serious talent for a few years. And rather than taking a chance Otis just played it safe so he could hold onto a player that never plays (JJ) and a late first round pick.

Ditto, the big picture is the playoffs and we obvisouly don't have enough weapons or options for the playoffs. And that will be the case for 5 more years...
Magicmehdi
Bench Warmer
And1: 7

Post#11 » by Magicmehdi » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:40 pm

mhectorgato wrote:A big name wasn't a key for me - though Miller would have been nice indeed.

That was my biggest hope, a good serviceable player. Even if we'd take back more salary to get him that would be fine with me.

Evans is not a big name player, but has stepped in and helped us. It may be that our roster at the 2 is full of mediocre players, but he's been an improvement. That's what I was hoping for at the minimum.

That said, I'm very happy with the Magic now. It's the future improvement that becomes a concern.

I'm just happy ;) but it won't last long...
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#12 » by EasternMagic » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:41 pm

did you guys see the people that got traded of late? i dont think we couldve gotten in on any of that or want any of that, it sucks that we didnt trade for our expirings, but like said above we know otis was out there and obviously by what went down today, none of the players we wanted were even dealt. so ya it suck but its not like otis wasnt out there. were still okay i mean hey we won 34 games so far, were better than last year by a lot give otis that, he got us stan and lewis who i think has had a HUGE effect on the whole team (turk mainly) so lets stop freaking out here and just move on
flyingvee
Sixth Man
And1: 17

Post#13 » by flyingvee » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:25 pm

laVal03 wrote:Good call

Put it this way I wanted some type of trade as well but be thankful we didn't do what Cleveland did!!

man if I was Lebron I'd be pissed that that was ferry's best shot

I think Lebron will be very happy being in the ECF and maybe even the finals now. Ben was a bad match in Chicago and next to Ilgauskas will be a monster again. Wally next to Lebron will be a different player. Great move by Cleveland.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,767

Post#14 » by Cammo101 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:03 am

Cigamodnalro wrote:I can't believe we couldn't have gotten someone like Reggie Evans for Pat Garrity's contract. We blew $13KK in expirings, and missed out on an opportunity to take advantage of our assets.

Once Battie is back you will be very happy you did not take back Reggie Evans' contract. There are better options this offseason to plug this hole.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,430

Post#15 » by UCFJayBird » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:03 am

i'm perfectly happy we didn't make a move. I like our team right now, and I'm patient enough to know that we can't rush this process. I'm glad Otis didn't make a move for the sake of making one. We obviously wanted Kurt Thomas, but got out bid.

I wish people would realize that we're on track to finish with 10+ wins more than last season and that we're not going to go from a sub.500 team to a champion in one year.

This year is about going further into the playoffs, developing chemistry, and maturing. People are acting like this was a last shot at improvement or something, which just isn't true.
oakfanintheeast
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#16 » by oakfanintheeast » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:15 am

Otis should lose all respect simply on the notion that he believes nelson is good enough to be a starting point guard on a championship caliber team. thats all you need to know about otis.
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#17 » by damo[23] » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:26 am

UCFJayBird wrote:i'm perfectly happy we didn't make a move. I like our team right now, and I'm patient enough to know that we can't rush this process. I'm glad Otis didn't make a move for the sake of making one. We obviously wanted Kurt Thomas, but got out bid.

I wish people would realize that we're on track to finish with 10+ wins more than last season and that we're not going to go from a sub.500 team to a champion in one year.

This year is about going further into the playoffs, developing chemistry, and maturing. People are acting like this was a last shot at improvement or something, which just isn't true.

Yup exactly.

There is no reason whatsoever to just make a trade for the sake of it.

Last year we went through the exact same problems, everyone demanding Smiths head because he didnt make a trade, then the very next day we saw the reports on what was on the table and they were just simply awful awful deals, everyone was very quick to stop moaning then.

Otis made a trade earlier, which benefited the team - Mo and Cook definatly have helped out in their own ways, so we have improved the roster since the openning day of the season [in light of Ariza being injured especially].

While Otis and all of us have all recognised the need for a PF and potentially a SG [I believe a good enough PF would command that we didnt need a SG], we just dont know right now what deals were on offer for our expirings. If you feel you can get say K.Thomas for your expirings do you all of a sudden lower your standards when that player goes off the market [by being traded]?

I'd love to have seen a trade, I really would have. But looking at the team, the position and where we are headed right now, I am ok with sitting tight.

That all being said I'd have traded Garrity for whatever was offered, even if it was a pot noodle.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,430

Post#18 » by UCFJayBird » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:32 am

damo[23] wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote:i'm perfectly happy we didn't make a move. I like our team right now, and I'm patient enough to know that we can't rush this process. I'm glad Otis didn't make a move for the sake of making one. We obviously wanted Kurt Thomas, but got out bid.

Yup exactly.

There is no reason whatsoever to just make a trade for the sake of it.

Last year we went through the exact same problems, everyone demanding Smiths head because he didnt make a trade, then the very next day we saw the reports on what was on the table and they were just simply awful awful deals, everyone was very quick to stop moaning then.

Otis made a trade earlier, which benefited the team - Mo and Cook definatly have helped out in their own ways, so we have improved the roster since the openning day of the season [in light of Ariza being injured especially].

While Otis and all of us have all recognised the need for a PF and potentially a SG [I believe a good enough PF would command that we didnt need a SG], we just dont know right now what deals were on offer for our expirings. If you feel you can get say K.Thomas for your expirings do you all of a sudden lower your standards when that player goes off the market [by being traded]?

I'd love to have seen a trade, I really would have. But looking at the team, the position and where we are headed right now, I am ok with sitting tight.

That all being said I'd have traded Garrity for whatever was offered, even if it was a pot noodle.

dude I would've traded Garrity for a hand shake.
oakfanintheeast
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#19 » by oakfanintheeast » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:47 am

[quote="UCFJayBird"]i'm perfectly happy we didn't make a move. I like our team right now, and I'm patient enough to know that we can't rush this process. I'm glad Otis didn't make a move for the sake of making one. We obviously wanted Kurt Thomas, but got out bid.

This year is about going further into the playoffs, developing chemistry, and maturing. People are acting like this was a last shot at improvement or something, which just isn't true.[/quote]

just because you settle for mediocrity doesn't mean everyone else has to. if you a pro team, and your goal isn't making the finals, something is seriously wrong.

chemistry? maturing? is this a high school team? college team? wat world?

well, i guess some people will be happy when orlando wins one game of a playoff series, i guess thats improving. what people dont realize is

1) nelson isn't going to get any better
2) hedo will surely decline from this year
3) otis cant draft
4) lewis is lewis
5) howard cant do it all
6) tony battie!?!? people are putting hope in a 30 year old career 6 points and 5 rebounds guy?thats hilarious

other teams care about winning and improving see.. lakers, dallas, cavs, spurs, boston.

the spurs made a move to get kenny thomas, the best team in the last 10 years, i guess they dont settle with mediocrity.

otis wont trade jj redick? are you kiddingggggggg me? otis wont trade carlos arroyo? call gary payton up, he could do with arroyo is doing now. correct me if im wrong, but wont dwight and lewis' contract seriously tie up orlando financially?

finally, people are surely going to be disappointed if you are seriously banking on mediocre talent maturing into all star players.

orlando should be called the Orlando Mediocres. Because thats what they are. Mediocre GM, mediocre players.
spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,192

Post#20 » by spinedoc » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:55 am

I see a lot of "we shouldn't make a trade for the sake of making a trade", but its not about that at all. The question is, does the play of Dooling, Arroyo, and Garrity outweigh their value as capspace for other teams. Then look at our other assets like a first round pick, whether we can trade '08 or not, we will be in the 20's the next few years. The odds of finding a diamond there is slim to none. And JJ, who currently can't outplay Evans, Bogans, or Dooling, but is so coveted by Otis. Other teams however could use that type of scoring and contract on their roster.

Those assets are not worth keeping over the player that could have been had for them imo. Money supposedly wasn't a deciding factor, but I believe it was major factor. We thought that Devos was willing to do whatever it takes when he signed Lewis, but apparently thats not the case, and it has its limits. Its times like this that I wish we had Mark Cuban as an owner. You don't question his willingness to be a winner. This just gives me the feeling that we have more similarities with the Clippers instead. We are willing to be good, but its not very profitable to be great.

Return to Orlando Magic