ImageImageImage

PP makes all star game. Ray snubbed

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

PP makes all star game. Ray snubbed 

Post#1 » by JHTruth » Fri Feb 1, 2008 12:12 am

Discuss...
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,748

Post#2 » by meatball sub » Fri Feb 1, 2008 12:15 am

You can't be snubbed if you don't deserve a selection. Congrats to PP though, he definitely deserves it.
Bigmiketruth
Starter
And1: 3

Post#3 » by Bigmiketruth » Fri Feb 1, 2008 12:21 am

I agree with bove. I think Rip is questionable, but if its him or Ray you give it to Rip.

That said, wow the East team is going to get raped with their ONE center. Yeah that one center is Dwight but still.
Kaykoose
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,406

Post#4 » by Kaykoose » Fri Feb 1, 2008 12:28 am

bove310 wrote:You can't be snubbed if you don't deserve a selection. Congrats to PP though, he definitely deserves it.
Albanian Damien
Starter
And1: 639

Post#5 » by Albanian Damien » Fri Feb 1, 2008 12:28 am

Well they usually reward teams for having a good record. Like if it comes down to two players and one of them is on the team with the best record in the league they'll give it to the guy on the better team. That's why I was surprised to find out Ray wasn't in it.
My Starting 5:

PG: Allen Iverson
SG: Paul Pierce
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: Patrick Ewing
JahReid
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#6 » by JahReid » Fri Feb 1, 2008 12:40 am

Ray didn't really deserve to make it, but he should have been there over Joe Johnson.
Datruth345
Assistant Coach
And1: 441

Post#7 » by Datruth345 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 12:45 am

ehh

i can't definitively say that ray should have made it
"...That, Mr. James, is etched in stone.” - Bill Russell
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#8 » by JHTruth » Fri Feb 1, 2008 12:48 am

Wow, well Ray has struggled at times, he still puts up nearly 20 pts a game and hits huge shots. He's as deserving as anyone. He's a key piece of a team that has already won 35. Come on..
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#9 » by campybatman » Fri Feb 1, 2008 1:30 am

I concur with both Pierce and Rivers. Both Ray Allen and Garnett's numbers are down from last season and Allen got more fan All-Star votes than Pierce. I mean if Garnett is the leading candidate for league MVP at the mid season in the minds of enough people who matter. Then this opinion has to be based on the Celtics turnaround from the previous season in regards to wins and their overall top lead in the NBA standings. Ray Allen is responsible for this turnaround as well and should be acknowledged by being an All-Star reserve. He's having an impact on this team beyond the statistics that goes unnoticed. That is, his affect on younger teammates and being another head coach on the court. Not to mention his professionalism and work ethic. He's a role model to them. By making the All-Star game. Ray Allen proves that you can still achieve a certain goal through sacrifice and commitment to team.

"No Ray? That's crazy," Pierce said. "I think Ray should have been on there based on our record and what we're doing team-wise."

Allen, averaging 18 points for a Boston team that began the night with an NBA-best 35-8 record, was perhaps the most noticeable omission in the East. Orlando was hoping for a spot for Hedo Turkoglu, averaging a career-best 19.4 points.

"Obviously, I think Ray should have made it," Rivers said. "The fact that he had to sacrifice the most of the three. It's unfortunate that the other coaches didn't see it that way."

Allen was beat out by Billups and Hamilton, who were selected for the first time together in 2006, when the Pistons were en route to a franchise-best 64 wins.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/b ... index.html
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,154

Post#10 » by chakdaddy » Fri Feb 1, 2008 1:47 am

A bigger snub is David West over Al Jefferson.
3pt %
General Manager
And1: 2,675

Post#11 » by 3pt % » Fri Feb 1, 2008 2:18 am

chakdaddy wrote:A bigger snub is David West over Al Jefferson.

unless the fans vote a player in, they will hard it pretty hard to make the all star game when their team has single digits in the W column
Captain_Caveman wrote:Probably couldn't spell "cat" if you spotted him the C and the A.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#12 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Fri Feb 1, 2008 3:56 am

It's too bad he didn't make it in, but at least he gets some well-needed rest. I'm hoping Ray feels the same way.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Post#13 » by bstein14 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 3:57 am

Rip has been better than Ray this year. Rip is one of 3 players along with KG and Dwight in the east scoring more than 15 PPG and shooting over 50% from the floor.

The Pistons are a good team too, and deserve 2 all-stars more than Boston deserves 3.
billfromBoston
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by billfromBoston » Fri Feb 1, 2008 4:18 am

...I think it should be noted for all the Allen-bashers and overall critics who believe that he is having an "off" year...

1. Ray Allen is making the toughest transition of the 3 as he is definitely the third option in terms of his role in the offense
2. He is shooting much less that any time in the last 7 years
3. He is shooting a HIGHER percentage of 2 point FGs than he did last season
4. He is shooting the same 3-point percentage

Ray Allen's FG% is down because his ratio of 3pointers/2pointers is significantly more skewed toward 3's this year...this has decreased his consistency from the field overall and made people think he's having an "off" year when in reality he's shooting the same, just not taking the same shots..

Once Doc figures out how to get him more shots off screens and other shots from mid-range he'll have more consistency and people will stop thinking he's having an "off" year...
JahReid
Bench Warmer

Post#15 » by JahReid » Fri Feb 1, 2008 4:24 am

Good post Bill. Ray is the same player as always, he's just on a competing team now. He is just suddenly the 3rd option on a championship team. There should be 2-3 more ballots for each conferance. Davis and Camby deserved Nods. Al Jef is a top 20 player in the league... C'mon
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#16 » by Rocky5000 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 4:37 am

I think Allen could have an argument to be on the team over Billups, Johnson, and Hamilton.
To me the biggest snub in the east among guards is Calderon. The guy has been playing absolutely phenomenally and really deserves a spot. Turkoglu, Gerald Wallace, & Jason Richardson all stand out as worthy of an All-star spot. I'm glad that Butler got a spot, it seemed like he might be forgotten.
I also don't think Dwayne Wade should be a starter, but that's for the fans to decide.

In the west there are an unbelievable amount of players left out. Deron Williams, Baron Davis, Stephen Jackson, Kaman, and Al Jefferson all seem like Allstars to me. However it's hard to claim that the other selections aren't worthy.
JahReid
Bench Warmer

Post#17 » by JahReid » Fri Feb 1, 2008 4:39 am

The league needs a few more nods for each squad.
BrokenLeftyJumper
Pro Prospect

Post#18 » by BrokenLeftyJumper » Fri Feb 1, 2008 4:39 am

I don't really see any 'snubs' on the East side. No one really deserves to cry about a snub in the East, instead of arguing about what Eastern Conference non all-star deserves to be on the East squad they should resolve this whole thing by booting off Joe Johnson, and putting Baron Davis on the East squad. Baron is the only real snub I see. I would have had him in there over Brandon Roy. Golden State has a better record and Davis is putting up better numbers. As much as people will say, "well Roy is the straw that stirs the drink" for Portland, Davis makes the whole crazy thing they do work for GS.
PrinceV
Rookie
And1: 697

Post#19 » by PrinceV » Fri Feb 1, 2008 5:09 am

The fans who chose D Wade and J Kidd had it all wrong. I think fans chose them based on popularity. However, their perspective teams are doing s h i t this year. D Wade missed too many games this year. J Kidd despite triple double and having RJ, VC on his side have a losing record.

Fans should have picked Billups and Rip as the vote ins. Allen and Calderon as the coach's choice.

Hopefully, D Wade doesn't make it and J Kidd gets traded to the west.
thejackram
Ballboy

Post#20 » by thejackram » Fri Feb 1, 2008 5:21 am

i dont find it suprising that ray is not on the squad. His play so far this season has been slightly below normal. His shot has been somewhat off this year, granted he's had his share of great games and great shots, but hes also showed plenty of times where his game was noticeably off, thus eliminating his chances of making the team..i think many can agree that ray, though still great just hasnt seemed himself this year

Return to Boston Celtics