Image ImageImage Image

Thorpe: There arn't 5 guys in the league with Tyrus's upside

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,793

Thorpe: There arn't 5 guys in the league with Tyrus's upside 

Post#1 » by kulaz3000 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:56 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/pla ... d=3220461#

David Thorpe is probably one of the most honest and no-nonsense types left on ESPN. He doesn't go into silly rumours, he just scouts players, talks to players and coaches and gives honest and truthful opinions.

Chad asks David about Tyrus, saying that he himself had Tyrus as one of the better prospects in that draft, and how he has fallen so off the mark?

David Thorpe comments were,

- There arn't five players in the league with his upside.

- And its not just his crazy athletic ability, but his much more skilled than he seems.

- He has good handles, used to be a point guard in high school.

- He has improved jump shot.

- He has a good motor and energy. Even when he is sitting on the bench, he gets up and cheers for teammates and stays positive.

- Talked with players on the team, and there are not issues with him behind the scenes. Just a regular guy dying for a chance.

- In a year from now, he wouldn't be suprised if Tyrus is a top 3 player from his class.

Chad: Do you think he does it in Chicago or for another team?

Thorpe;

- Doesn't imagine the current staff will be there next year

- Can't imagine Paxson will trade away a talent like Tyrus.

- Will be suprised if they moved him, it would make more sense to trade Noc or Joe to create more playing time for Tyrus.

- To move him now, strictly based on reputation because he hasn't done much, you wouldn't get value so you may as well play him mintues to see what you really have.
Why so serious?
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#2 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:58 pm

David Thorpe is by far the best analyst ESPN.com employs. The guy just knows basketball.

I love his chats - althought only after my initial disdain for his three word answers.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#3 » by kyrv » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:58 pm

What is Thorpe's nick here? :o

Good stuff. Seems somewhat obvious, but...then again. Skiles. Boylan.
Action Paxson
Head Coach
And1: 63

Post#4 » by Action Paxson » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:00 pm

Thorpe loves Noah and Tyrus, he always has. I agree with him that Tyrus just needs a chance. Is he implying that he will be better than Aldridge or Gay? Interesting.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder.
theanimal23
RealGM
And1: 926

Post#5 » by theanimal23 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:05 pm

Action Paxson wrote:Thorpe loves Noah and Tyrus, he always has. I agree with him that Tyrus just needs a chance. Is he implying that he will be better than Aldridge or Gay? Interesting.

Tyrus was arguably the #1 draft prospect last year. FWIW, he was Bilas' #1 prospect on the draft board.

It's too early to judge him. But the talent is there. Everyone knows. Will he turn that into production? No one knows. He needs to be given a chance to find out.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,793

Post#6 » by kulaz3000 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:05 pm

Action Paxson wrote:Thorpe loves Noah and Tyrus, he always has. I agree with him that Tyrus just needs a chance. Is he implying that he will be better than Aldridge or Gay? Interesting.

Oh speaking of Gay. In the podcast he thinks that Gay has the potential to be an MVP type of talent. He says that ROY will be considered a really good player, and he could see him winning an MVP for a Championship team. But he with the talent that Gay has, he feels that he could be a really dominate player in this league and be a regular season MVP candidate. Aldridge is up there with the best of the pack, but his injury issues are a concern etc..
Why so serious?
tclg
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#7 » by tclg » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:06 pm

I know thorpe is right you can see flashes all the time with tyrus when he gets pt
cool007
RealGM
And1: 3,098

Post#8 » by cool007 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:11 pm

People from outside of Chicago knows, Bulls fan know this but our coaches are way too blind to see/notice this.

This is why I want the trade - nothing major but enough (any combination of Nocioni/Duhon/Smith/Wallace) so that Tyrus/Thabo get enough chance for the remainder of the season to show some some.

And I don't mean like 30 minutes 1 night, 6 minutes the next game and then DNP CDs for the next 2. That is NOT going to show us ANYTHING other than paint the picture that Tyrus/Thabo are just inconsistent and other BS.

I hope to see both Tyrus/Thabo along with Noah getting ATLEAST 30 minutes a night from here on out - this is why I want the trade.

Thank you very much.
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#9 » by kyrv » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:19 pm

cool007 wrote:People from outside of Chicago knows, Bulls fan know this but our coaches are way too blind to see/notice this.

This is why I want the trade - nothing major but enough (any combination of Nocioni/Duhon/Smith/Wallace) so that Tyrus/Thabo get enough chance for the remainder of the season to show some some.

And I don't mean like 30 minutes 1 night, 6 minutes the next game and then DNP CDs for the next 2. That is NOT going to show us ANYTHING other than paint the picture that Tyrus/Thabo are just inconsistent and other BS.

I hope to see both Tyrus/Thabo along with Noah getting ATLEAST 30 minutes a night from here on out - this is why I want the trade.

Thank you very much.

I've said all season, I would like Tyrus to start and play huge minutes. Every game. So of course, I'm on board.
theanimal23
RealGM

Post#10 » by theanimal23 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:19 pm

Cool007, it's why I've been asking for a Joe Smith trade.

Pax has to see the light and start giving these guys heavy minutes daily.

Gay definitely has MVP potential. Everyone knows, he is the prototypical SF in the NBA.

I don't think Ty will be an MVP candidate, but I think he can be a legit All-Star big.
da Bulls!!!
Junior
And1: 0

Post#11 » by da Bulls!!! » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:20 pm

We will trade him for a vet...we dont have patience to develop young PF

GO BULLS GO!!!
bullzman23
RealGM
And1: 3

Post#12 » by bullzman23 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:21 pm

I still think that Thomas is a future franchise player and will be the best player from this draft when it's all said and done.
girlygirl wrote:Sorry, I just don't think MJ changed the game all that much.

www.theslickscript.com
PJ Brown
Lead Assistant
And1: 84

Post#13 » by PJ Brown » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:21 pm

Um, let's not forget Brandon Roy?

I was pretty high on Tyrus' talent coming into the draft and was happy with the pick, but I think he goes a bit too far with this. It's quite a stretch to think Tyrus will be better than Gay or Roy, and probably not even Aldridge, although to some extent we'll see about Aldridge. It's one thing to say he just needs a chance, that he has talent and can play if set free, but there's some point where you go so far you lose your credibility.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#14 » by Rerisen » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:26 pm

When you read things like this, you just kind of shake your head. It would be easy to come to the conclusion that many, even outside the Bulls fanbase, think the team has been managed terribly (turrble turrble) this year.

The pleasant surprise of Joe Smith, notwithstanding, he could have done all of that from the bench getting decent minutes. We should have been starting Tyrus this entire year. I think that would have been much more helpful for the team long term, and I wonder if Tyrus wouldn't be a much better, more developed player for it by now.
Eminjay7
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#15 » by Eminjay7 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:27 pm

bullzman23 wrote:I still think that Thomas is a future franchise player and will be the best player from this draft when it's all said and done.

Let's hope he's still a Bull then... :nod:
theanimal23
RealGM

Post#16 » by theanimal23 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:27 pm

Rerisen wrote:When you read things like this, you just kind of shake your head. It would be easy to come to the conclusion that many, even outside the Bulls fanbase, think the team has been managed terribly (turrble turrble) this year.

The fact that we are losing with a 'win now' approach, led by a career NBA Journey man, and invested so much in our youngsters who do not play makes me utterly depressed as a Bulls fan
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#17 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:28 pm

Thorpe spends every off-season working with college and NBA players - I'm guessing he has a better handle than most on what a players "potential" is, and what it takes to reach it.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#18 » by Rerisen » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:30 pm

theanimal23 wrote:
The fact that we are losing with a 'win now' approach, led by a career NBA Journey man, and invested so much in our youngsters who do not play makes me utterly depressed as a Bulls fan

If we had been starting Noah and Tyrus the whole year (or at least past say 10 games when it was apparent Wallace was going to stink again) I don't foresee the team's record possibly even being much worse by now. But even if it was, we would be preparing so much better for turning the eventual reins over to them next season, or whenever it eventually will have to happen.
Grand Champ
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#19 » by Grand Champ » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:45 pm

Better sit Tyrus then!

Make him think about how well he could play if he was actually getting some burn.
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,441

Post#20 » by CBS7 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:06 pm

Thats some good stuff and just what several of us were thinking.

Return to Chicago Bulls