ImageImageImage

Chris Andersen reinstatement

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Birdman ascends to Celtic heights?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 1, 2008 3:38 pm

Bring him on! We need another athletic big.
39%
Maybe. He's been out/won't do much for us this year.
24%
Stay away. He's bad news.
18%
Stay away. He's bad news.
18%

Total votes: 33

Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,052

Chris Andersen reinstatement 

Post#1 » by Dogen » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:38 pm

Birdman was able to rejoin the NBA on Jan. 25th. So far I haven't heard much about this, and thought there would be some buzz about him along with the various PG's being bought out or traded.

Any love left out there? Obviously I'm big on filling out our roster with Andersen and Cassell and going for the gold this year.
Hey you! Can we come together?
DelMonte West
Veteran
And1: 660

Post#2 » by DelMonte West » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:45 pm

I've been screaming for an athletic young big man to join this team for years, so I'd love to see him join us...being interested and actually acquiring him are two different animals, though.

I still think we need more height and athleticism off the bench. If we can't sign him I'd look into someone like Hilton Armstrong, Cedric Simmons, or even Patrick O'Bryant to come off the bench in spurts, or to at least shadow Garnett to get a feel for the *right* way to use that size...
Egregious Blunder
General Manager
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Egregious Blunder » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:53 pm

id love them to sign birdman for the rest of the year (and maybe next)
GoGoCeltics
Pro Prospect
And1: 52

Post#4 » by GoGoCeltics » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:59 pm

I would love to have him on the Cs
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,966

Post#5 » by darrendaye » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:29 pm

Other than highlights and stats, I don't have a firm handle on his game. With the idea that you frequently want a "banger" next to KG on the court, where do you see Andersen making a significant contribution to the team? I get it that he can take the 13 minutes of "scrap time" that KG leaves at the 4. But, would that be it, except for certain matchups, or can he legitimately slide over to the 5 to bang a little with some of the big uglies?

Personally, I'm not as concerned with big men as some, as I believe they have decent alternatives to choose from, especially with Big Baby carving out a niche offensively in the post. But, I'm always open to upgrades of course.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
Bamboozled
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Bamboozled » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:39 pm

I'll always remember the Birdman for his horrible dunk contest performance......as well as his rampant drug use. He's definitely talented, and as a result, KG would squeeze out every bit of it.
Go Cavs!
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,743

Post#7 » by meatball sub » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:44 pm

I'd love it if we could get him. I agree a young, athletic big would be awesome to have KG take under his wing. Minimum for the end of the year with a team option for next year would be a great deal for us.
hiphop1
Lead Assistant
And1: 32

Post#8 » by hiphop1 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:46 pm

On this type of veteran team it would be the perfect fit for him mentally.
Free your mind and your a** will follow
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#9 » by sully00 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:00 pm

Chris Anderson is terrible. I mean he is what he is but he isn't a good NBA player, this isn't Roy Tarpley. He is a 5 and 5 guy on bad teams, and he can block a shot. He is the big man version of Dan Dickau, except he has a drug problem instead of a hot wife. Add to that he has been out of the league for two years.

I just don't understand the love affair with this guy he must have more message boards threads about him than games played. Why not a Kieth Van Horn thread he at least could actually play?
hiphop1
Lead Assistant
And1: 32

Post#10 » by hiphop1 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:02 pm

sully00 wrote:Chris Anderson is terrible. I mean he is what he is but he isn't a good NBA player, this isn't Roy Tarpley. He is a 5 and 5 guy on bad teams, and he can block a shot. He is the big man version of Dan Dickau, except he has a drug problem instead of a hot wife. Add to that he has been out of the league for two years.

I just don't understand the love affair with this guy he must have more message boards threads about him than games played. Why not a Kieth Van Horn thread he at least could actually play?

LMAO!
Free your mind and your a** will follow
Dogen
RealGM

Post#11 » by Dogen » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:09 pm

hiphop1 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

LMAO!

I'm not laughing, but scratching my head. Big man version of Dan Dickau?

Wha..?
Relative Autonomy
Senior
And1: 1

Post#12 » by Relative Autonomy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:29 pm

sully00 wrote:Chris Anderson is terrible. I mean he is what he is but he isn't a good NBA player, this isn't Roy Tarpley. He is a 5 and 5 guy on bad teams, and he can block a shot. He is the big man version of Dan Dickau, except he has a drug problem instead of a hot wife. Add to that he has been out of the league for two years.

what are you talking about? he can't block a shot? actually, he can and does quite regularly. he has averaged between 1 and 1.6 blocks per game in his five year career and has never played more than 21 minutes a game for the season average. check it out:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... rch01.html

he also isn't that young for a pro bballer. he is twenty-nine this year.

i'd still like to see him signed for the rest of the season just to get another guy who has some height.
wetsthebed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,216

Post#13 » by wetsthebed » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:42 pm

[quote="Relative Autonomy"][/quote]You read it wrong, he said he can block a shot.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,393

Post#14 » by threrf23 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:08 pm

Andersen has been working out diligently in Las Vegas and Denver, and has hardly been a wallflower while serving the suspension. He has attended several Nuggets games and at least one Hornets game this season. He completed a rehabilitation program in Malibu, Calif., and has said he hasn't had a drink or taken drugs since the suspension. He also developed a friendship with Kevin Garnett while working out in Las Vegas.

There's no denying Andersen's appeal and popularity among fans and teammates. The player universally known as "Birdman" has a Varejao-esque game, with the requisite amount of energy, athleticism, and enthusiasm. Said former teammate Andre Miller, "He brought a lot of energy to the game and he's a good guy to be around. He's going to get a second chance to prove himself and I know he's prepared.

"He'll be good for a team that's looking for a guy who can bring energy, athleticism, rebounding, hustle, and get the crowd involved. That's what he did when we played together in Denver."

http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2 ... ce_points/

If we can get him, I'm for it
alwayslovetheceltics
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#15 » by alwayslovetheceltics » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:10 pm

great post and great comparison to dickau, another terrible player that looked better than he was ( i.e. not as terrible) on a bad new orleans team.

simply put, there is a problem with this guy, as in, he sucks.

Dogen
RealGM

Post#16 » by Dogen » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:58 pm

alwayslovetheceltics wrote:great post and great comparison to dickau, another terrible player that looked better than he was ( i.e. not as terrible) on a bad new orleans team.

simply put, there is a problem with this guy, as in, he sucks.

-= original quote snipped =-

Another disbeliever.....

And what is with the Dickau comparison? They're both white, and besides that they have very different skills. Andersen is a defensive irritant. Dickau is... a chair.

5pts/5rbs for a 6-10 guy at the vet minimum who can stand his ground in the post, blocks shots and dives after loose balls? I'll take it. Right now we have Pollard with a bad ankle and a couple of undersized young guys. Nothing against Powe and Davis, but I'd rather have the added experience and height going into the playoffs.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,000

Post#17 » by UGA Hayes » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:17 pm

Speaking of keith Van Horn, assuming he could still play, I think he would have beena pretty nice fit for this team.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#18 » by sully00 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:41 pm

UGA Hayes wrote:Speaking of keith Van Horn, assuming he could still play, I think he would have beena pretty nice fit for this team.

Ainge has tried apparently he just hasn't been interested but you never know.

As far as the Dickau comparison yeah it is because he is white, and they both had notable seasons on one of the worst basketball teams my eyes have ever seen. It is the floppy hair and just the whole thing. You don't expect the dude that looks like Jesus to come out on the floor and jump through the roof, so when he does everybody is Wow!. With Dickau you see him run up down the court chucking and ducking putting up numbers you sort of forget his team got beat by 20.

Anderson he has no offensive game and he doesn't really play good defense. He blocks shots, rebounds and dunks. Fun to watch sure but not exactly someone who is going to be key to winning a championship. Beyond that he hasn't played in 2.5 seasons and he is 29 pushing 30.

I don't care if we sign him I just wouldn't expect him to play much or expect much from him. I just think it is hillarious the amount of "We need Chris Anderson" threads I have read on this board over the last few years. It just doesn't seem like message board material kind of like well we didn't get Deke, Juwan, or CWebb so lets get the next best thing Birdman. Maybe I will start a Dan Gadzuric thread, lord knows his 10 best career games must have come against the C's.
Dogen
RealGM

Post#19 » by Dogen » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:33 pm

The people have spoken.

Bring him in, Danny!
Cyclical
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,397

Post#20 » by Cyclical » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:44 pm

If this guy wasn't white no one would be talking about him. Not a fan.

Return to Boston Celtics