ImageImageImage

kg's spaz attack following the minnesota game

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,886

Post#13 » by SuperDeluxe » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:05 pm

Iguodala wrote:You beat the worst team in the league by one point, if anything he should be pissed off.

Teams in every sport celebrate close victories (especially hardly fought ones) way more than blow outs. This win was basically a last-second steal, so some display of emotions was to be expected. Also, for the rest of the league Minnesota is the worst team in the NBA; however, for the Wolves and Celtics this was a special game. Although I'm not a fan of Garnett's celebration at the end, I'm sure some of the smirks from a player like Telfair during the game (I detected 2, and I'm sure there were plenty more) fueled KG and others.
TheCelticsMan
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#14 » by TheCelticsMan » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:17 pm

Iguodala wrote:When I saw Garnett spazz out at the end of the game, I thought it was deifinlty uncalled for. You beat the worst team in the league by one point, if anything he should be pissed off. A win is a win, but to go this crazy over a win and "pop" your jersey like the celtics are amazing after this win is just stupid. You guys are having a great year no doubt, but I wanted to punch garnett in the face when I saw this stupidity.

dude are you kidding me? The twolves brought their absolute best and 100% of their heart for this game. 90% of teams that play the celtics get up and attempt to play their best ball when they beat us. Sure, the twolves have seven wins, but they didn't play like they did last night. They were a different team. Yes we have problems, and they need to be addressed, but they played well. Youre gonna tell me kevin garnett, the most intense player in probably the history of the nba should keep to himself after he makes a series of beautiful defensive plays down the stretch and wins us the game? I'd like to punch YOU in the face.
GREEN #17.... K PERK
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#15 » by return2glory » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:21 pm

Iguodala wrote:When I saw Garnett spazz out at the end of the game, I thought it was deifinlty uncalled for. You beat the worst team in the league by one point, if anything he should be pissed off. A win is a win, but to go this crazy over a win and "pop" your jersey like the celtics are amazing after this win is just stupid. You guys are having a great year no doubt, but I wanted to punch garnett in the face when I saw this stupidity.

I agree with everything you said except for wanting to punch KG in the face.

Act like you've been there. It's not like he made a game winner. Would Lary Bird have celebrated like that?
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 8,981

Post#16 » by Bad-Thoma » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:27 pm

You don't make the all NBA defensive squad by being tame. Garnett isn't just there to make a check, he loves the game and wants to win every time he is on the floor. Michael Jordan punched a teammate in practice once because he was so over competitive, sure it's not an exemplary example of class and conduct, but I'll take the competitiveness and fire any day. If it's too much, maybe you can subscribe to the knitting channel or something.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,742

Post#17 » by meatball sub » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:40 pm

return2glory wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I agree with everything you said except for wanting to punch KG in the face.

Act like you've been there. It's not like he made a game winner. Would Lary Bird have celebrated like that?

Ok...

1. Larry Bird never had to face a team he used to play for.

2. KG wanted to beat his former team and the fact that HE was the one to seal the game with a great play led to him getting caught up in the moment.

It's the NBA. In a league littered with guys that only play for contracts and don't give two **** about whether they win or lose it's refreshing to see a guy care as much as KG does. Sure, the best team beat the worst team...but there was more to it than that, at least last night. That was KG's first game against the Twolves after playing in that city for 12 years and it's not surprising that his emotions got the best of him.

Celebrating like that against a team with 7 wins would've been uncalled for had the game not been determined at the last possible moment, but it was. Nobody would be saying anything if KG were to have hit the game winning shot, his steal was just as big as Perk's tip in IMO.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#18 » by revprodeji » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:42 pm

As a wolves fan, and a life-long KG fan I considered it incredibly disrespectful. I think almost every minnesota fan that watched the game thinks the same thing. We felt very disrespected by Kg.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
meatball sub
RealGM

Post#19 » by meatball sub » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:53 pm

revprodeji wrote:As a wolves fan, and a life-long KG fan I considered it incredibly disrespectful. I think almost every minnesota fan that watched the game thinks the same thing. We felt very disrespected by Kg.

I understand where you are coming from. I'm sure this board would feel the same way if Pierce was traded and did the same thing a couple of years ago. The only thing I think you're missing is that he did it in Boston. Had he done that in the Target Center I would definitely agree with you, but that moment really came off as a "I'm a Celtic now" moment. Playing his former team, making the game saving steal, the home crowd was pumped up...throw out the records of the two teams and look at the circumstances.

I think it was a lot more of a celebratory outburst than one trying to show anybody up. Besides, you know thst KG loves the fans in Minnesota and that city and always will. If he would disrespect anybody it would be the FO, which he has already done, but I hope you know that KG wouldn't say anything to hurt the fans that have rooted him on for so long and continue to do so.

Looking forward to the next game. I couldn't help but find myself clapping quietly whenever Al or Gomes made something happen.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#20 » by return2glory » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:59 pm

revprodeji wrote:As a wolves fan, and a life-long KG fan I considered it incredibly disrespectful. I think almost every minnesota fan that watched the game thinks the same thing. We felt very disrespected by Kg.

As a Celtic fan, I felt the same way. He was disrespectful to his old team and way too emotional. Act like you've seen there. It was a regular season game. It wasn't game 7 of a championship game.
Falstaff
Starter
And1: 412

Post#21 » by Falstaff » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:16 pm

I was offended.

Extremely offended.

Unbelievably offended.

Now, just for the record, I haven't actually seen it yet.

But I was offended.

People shouldn't show emotion. Especially athletes. They shouldn't care about what they do. After all, it's just a game, and the fact that they're paid millions of dollars to play a game should be enough for them. None of this emotional stuff - that's just self-indulgent.

You see, I watch basketball to see a bunch of uninvested millionaires running around throwing a ball at each other while yawning copiously.

I enjoy yawning.

Copious amounts of it, in fact.

Instead of screaming and jersey popping after a win, a more appropriate response would have been a long, drawn out, luxurious yawn. The kind that says: "oh ... I guess the game is over now. I guess I'll watch the highlights later to see who won ... after my nap. Mmmm ... nap."

Emotion is bad. Investment is bad. Caring about the game is bad, especially for those who play it.

Yawning is good.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#22 » by revprodeji » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:41 pm

bove310 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The only thing I think you're missing is that he did it in Boston. Had he done that in the Target Center I would definitely agree with you, but that moment really came off as a "I'm a Celtic now" moment. \

He knows it was broadcast on Tv, We all saw it. Most of us had the same reaction like he just flipped the bird at us.

I know most of the players on our team are not here from last year. But McCants was like his little brother. Everyone could see it. I would have much rather seen Kg talk or give some love to McCants after the game. Instead he just tugged at the celtic green "see I killed them"

Being that Minnesota is a rebuilding team we did better than many think.

I love the celtic players. Al Jefferson is a blast, Gomes is much better than I thought and Bassy is a keeper. I hope you guys continue to cheer for them and we will be all over the celtics team once the playoffs start.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
atsoc711
Sixth Man

Post#23 » by atsoc711 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:43 pm

I just don't understand you guys sometimes. I would expect this reaction from a T'Wolves fan, but not a Celtics fan. You guys have no heart.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,502

Post#24 » by canman1971 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:45 pm

For all those who are "offended" by Garnett's repsonse, you need to chill out. He is an emotional player playing a game filled with emotions. Good god, can we find anything else to cry about?
meatball sub
RealGM

Post#25 » by meatball sub » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:53 pm

canman1971 wrote: Good god, can we find anything else to cry about?

1. Ray Allen
2. The bench
3. Doc Rivers
4. Scal
5. Paul Pierce for some reason
Rondo_Fan
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#26 » by Rondo_Fan » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:17 pm

I thought it was great.

To the Minnesota fans, you need to chill out. It wasn't the first time he did it this year, so he didn't pull it out especially for Minnesota.

To the Boston fans who say that it wasn't a big win, you need to chill out. Minnesota just beat Phoenix, so anybody can lose to anybody. Pulling out a win on an off-night like is definitely a big deal.

Sometimes I wonder about why people watch these games, I really do. It seems like if it wasn't a huge win (20+ points) or it didn't come against a good team, then it doesn't count for some people. There was no drama there, nothing for them to watch.

Sometimes all it takes is a guy like Scalabrine hitting his first shot in a month to make the game a big deal for me. The NBA is full of stuff like that. Look at Shaq now. I've never been a big fan, but now that his retirement has come into play, suddenly every time he takes the court it's interesting. Imagine an old horse like him playing like the young Shaq for a game or two, and taking it to Gasol on Memphis or Bargnani on Toronto. Nobody is supposed to care, or get emotionally invested in the outcome of those games, because they're not "big games"? Give me a break. If you don't like watching stuff like that, then you don't like basketball in the first place. And last night, Garnett playing against his old team, squaring off against our young guys who are coming back to town, wasn't interesting because it wasn't a big game? There was no reason to be emotionally invested in what happened on the court or in the outcome? Give me a break.

Yabba-dabba-doo!
reggielewis
Veteran
And1: 313

Post#27 » by reggielewis » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:23 pm

I don't play for Minnesota anymore; I'm in Boston," said Garnett, traded last summer after more than a decade with the Wolves. "We were at home, and it was a huge win. It's nothing personal."

can we end the debate now?

http://www.twincities.com/timberwolves/ci_8083557
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,393

Post#28 » by threrf23 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:00 pm

TheCelticsMan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Sure, the twolves have seven wins, but they didn't play like they did last night.

Yes, at other times in the season I am pretty sure they have played better than they did last night. We really didn't play well. KG got on the boards but was not active enough offensively. Ray Allen couldn't hit a brick wall, PP was rather inefficient, Rondo never got in the flow, TA never stuck out offensively off the bench, and our defense was lacking somewhat. I don't know if it was a huge win, but it was an ugly win, and it saved us from an ugly, embarassing loss.

I don't know whether KG was or wasn't in bad taste last night and its tough to judge without hearing communication outside of the game (after all he should have a certain degree of healthy respect for the Minny organization or at the very least, his fans). All I know is, it seemed KG would have had a very hard time of losing to his old team, and I know that if this was Ricky Davis persay, who did perform on the court and did "try" as a member of the Cs, there would be a larger thread here proclaiming him to be a scumbag. If that was PP, after he had been traded, there would have been something similar and people proclaiming thats exactly why we needed to trade him as it showed he was too selfish to be a championship piece.

Of course, KG is known as a rather intense guy, and he is pretty accomplished. But you can't fault Minny fans for taking it the wrong way.
BigAlJ
Junior

Post#29 » by BigAlJ » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:15 pm

I **** loved it.
CHryptic
Junior
And1: 1

Post#30 » by CHryptic » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:26 pm

For those of us who missed the intensity can anyone describe it?
HighAboveCourtside
Sophomore

Post#31 » by HighAboveCourtside » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:28 pm

Wow, I can't believe this is a big deal.

KG's actions are EXACTLY why he has become my favorite player over the past 4 months. He's shown that he actually gives a ****, something a lot of professional athletes do not. It was a tough game start to finish, and it was close right to the end. Anybody who didn't get excited over that win is not a fan. Period.
Kefa461
RealGM
And1: 430

Post#32 » by Kefa461 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:00 pm

For those of you who have a problem with KG's intensive way of playing, this is how he's played for 13 years. Never has it been a problem until he wears green. All of a sudden it's a problem. Me thinks it's the big C problem and for that it takes a big mug of too **** bad. Thats how he plays, get over it he's a Celtic. He ain't Bird he's KG. That's how he is. Get over it. 8)
WE ARE CELTIC NATION
17 TITLES, ON TO #18.

Return to Boston Celtics