ImageImage

Redd and Bogut vie for control of the Bucks' offense

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Serge28
RealGM
And1: 1,725

Redd and Bogut vie for control of the Bucks' offense 

Post#1 » by Serge28 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:18 am

Here are some quotes from recaps of the Bucks last two wins - against the Hawks last Wednesday and versus the Pacers last night:

Bucks 87 - Atlanta 80:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2008011615

Andrew Bogut is finally turning into the low-post presence the Bucks desperately needed.

Bogut, the former No. 1 pick in his third season, continued his recent tear with 21 points, 10 rebounds and four blocked shots and Milwaukee beat cold-shooting Atlanta 87-80 on Wednesday night.

Bogut's recent surge in production came after several meetings with coach Larry Krystkowiak, which led to more plays for him in the offense.

"They said they were going to get the ball into me a bit more. It's definitely good to hear a coach say that, it gives you confidence," Bogut said. "If I take 20 shots, I'm pretty sure I'll make 50 percent of them or more, so the more shots, the better."

Bogut was 8-of-14 from the field against the Hawks and had 14 points in the second half.

"We've gotten a little more creative with ways to get him the basketball. I think early in the season it's one thing to talk about, 'Hey, let's throw the ball inside and give Andrew an opportunity early in the season,"' Krystkowiak said. "Shame on me for doing so -- if he didn't produce the first two or three times down the floor, often times we'd go to another option."

Milwaukee 104 - Indiana 92

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2 ... 15&prov=ap

Michael Redd has not had a lot of fourth-quarter shots in the past few games, so he sat down with Milwaukee Bucks coach Larry Krystkowiak and devised a new plan before Thursday night's game against Indiana.

The meeting paid immediate dividends as Redd scored 37 points, leading the up-tempo Bucks to a 104-92 victory over the Pacers.

"Let me play, let me go, let me loose," was the way Redd described the result of the meeting. "Just go play. No thinking. Play basketball."

Redd took only three shots in the fourth quarter in Milwaukee's loss to Phoenix Tuesday night, and four second-half shots in Saturday night's loss to Golden State.

Instead of Redd being the focal point, the Bucks offense went through center Andrew Bogut the past few games.

After his pregame meeting with Krystkowiak, Redd was back as the centerpiece of Milwaukee's offense and made 13-of-29 shots. He had five rebounds and five assists without a turnover, scoring 10 in the fourth quarter.

He played every minute of the second half and 45 overall as the Bucks won for only the second time in eight games.

"That might be the way we have to play the rest of the year, fast, up-tempo, keep pushing it, within sense," he said. "It was different tonight. It wasn't so much slow. Just playing in transition."

But did Krystkowiak view the result of the their meeting differently?

"There's nobody on our team I'd rather have taking an open shot than Michael," Krystkowiak said.

"It's the time when maybe he carries the burden on his shoulders a little bit and takes some forced shots," he said. "I don't want to rob anybody of feeling like they can't take shots when they're open."

Here's to hoping that this is one battle Redd will lose.
dunhill
Junior
And1: 0

Post#2 » by dunhill » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:23 am

The thing is Redd will get his if Bogut is the no1 option. Hey Bogt has been the no1 option for the last month and Redd has what had better FG% and nice easier looks. Does bogut get his or anybody else if Redd is no1? Rarely, You can't whine about not getting help of you don't let them help.
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#3 » by blkout » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:39 am

Redd has this facade of being all humble and whatever, working hard to come up from being a 2nd round pick, becoming an all-star, inspirational story, tell it to your kids etc. I think what he's shown lately is that he's a glory hunting ball hog who can't accept not getting his. I always thought people were insane for wanting to trade him, and I didn't understand the criticism, but now I just think he's a tool. No this isn't a Bogut loving post, I just happen to be a fan of team basketball, and people who are more interested in the teams success as opposed to their own. Congratulations, you lead the team to a win over the Pacers without their best player.
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#4 » by Nowak008 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:57 am

One thing I do agree with Redd is that we should be playing at a faster pace. Benn on this band wagon for a while now. Give Bogut his shots like he has been getting, just push the tempo more. There are too many possessions where we let the shot clock dwindle down and then take a terrible shot.

I would like to get some more quick action and more easy buckets. We fiddle with the ball too much sometimes and get unnecessary TO's.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#5 » by paul » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:15 am

The concerning part for me is if Redd felt the need to call meetings to get the offensive focus back on him. If that's what happened it's a hell of an example for a team leader.

Get ready for Bogut's numbers to drop back down if that is the case and the offensive focus goes back to Redd and jumpshooting, I had hoped he was smart enough to realise that the only way forward for this team was to develop an inside outside game.
Franc
Analyst
And1: 95

Post#6 » by Franc » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:35 am

Citizen.Eras3d wrote:Redd has this facade of being all humble and whatever, working hard to come up from being a 2nd round pick, becoming an all-star, inspirational story, tell it to your kids etc. I think what he's shown lately is that he's a glory hunting ball hog who can't accept not getting his. I always thought people were insane for wanting to trade him, and I didn't understand the criticism, but now I just think he's a tool. No this isn't a Bogut loving post, I just happen to be a fan of team basketball, and people who are more interested in the teams success as opposed to their own. Congratulations, you lead the team to a win over the Pacers without their best player.

Excellent post.
Why doesn't Redd play by himself , win or lose, that's anyway not important to him, he's only worried for his points and he will get all the points he makes.. Bogut is no longer 19 years old and he did take lots of tshe same crap during his 2 years from Stotts and now Krystkowiak is no different , Redd lifts his finger and they all jump. What kind of a coach is he. Few days ago he commeneted in an interview that he was ashamed misusung Bogut and not giving him the chance- offence going through him and what now. Very short memory.
He didn't forget how to play , he's simply pissed of not being used to his capabilities.
Either you trade one of them or you will get old Bogut Back, without lustre for the Game.
Your Choice, raise your voice.
When you put on that jersey, the name on the front is more important then the name on the back.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,917

Post#7 » by stellation » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:38 am

Rather self absorbed words from Mr Redd IMO.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Dags
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by Dags » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:53 am

Yeah, this is a bit of a worry. Hopefully some sort of balance can come into play, I don't really want Redd shooting 29 shots every night and having no-one else shooting more than 13. If that's the offense Redd thrives in, where he does whatever he wants and to hell with everyone else, then that won't be any good for the team. In which case I'd be looking to make a move to either get rid of him or get rid of Bogut, because they obviously won't be able to co-exist.
Das ist nümberwang!
Franc
Analyst

Post#9 » by Franc » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:06 am

Dags wrote:Yeah, this is a bit of a worry. Hopefully some sort of balance can come into play, I don't really want Redd shooting 29 shots every night and having no-one else shooting more than 13. If that's the offense Redd thrives in, where he does whatever he wants and to hell with everyone else, then that won't be any good for the team. In which case I'd be looking to make a move to either get rid of him or get rid of Bogut, because they obviously won't be able to co-exist.

You are on the spot. My sentimence also 100%.
How beautiful was it to see the chemistry of players when Redd was absent.
I would only ask him if he knows that Basketball is a team Game.
In these times the whole World can see it and Redd cannot make half of people blind and not to see that he is the most selfish player in NBA, or maybe he just doesn't like Bogut, but we all know why would that be.
Bogut might have attitude ( re Redd selfishness ) sometimes ,but he loves Basketball over everything and a win and sharing it with his team-mates is all what he lives for at the Moment.
When you put on that jersey, the name on the front is more important then the name on the back.
syntax
Sixth Man
And1: 651

Post#10 » by syntax » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:07 am

I'd bet everything I own Bogut is walking once his rookie contract is up.
Franc
Analyst

Post#11 » by Franc » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:10 am

syntax wrote:I'd bet everything I own Bogut is walking once his rookie contract is up.

I do not think there is a single person who could blame him.
He's patient as he knows he will improve more and his time will come,when him lifting a finger like Redd does will have value.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#12 » by El Duderino » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:11 am

I do remember thinking those first few games after Redd came back from his injury that he looked awkward on the court at times. He at times would have the ball and it seemed like the wheels were spinning in his brain thinking, i just shot last time down the court, is it ok for me to shoot again.

He's for so long been the man and had the green light to shoot when he pleased. Then you had players while winning during Redd's injury, in not exactly subtle ways saying how refreshing the ball movement and sharing shots was. Redd i'm sure heard the comments and to me he seemed at times to purposely pass on shots to make a point during times the offense was struggling to score.

I really question if Redd can function well mentally over a long stretch of games when he has to think about whether it's ok for him to shoot/drive multiple times in a row down the court. When Redd is the man on the team and by far the primary scorer/shot taker, he doesn't really have to think on the court, just attack and score. It's been his role and how he's played for years. He's been asked lately to defer more than he's used to, share the man role with Bogut and he doesn't know how play it or deal with it.

It will be interesting to see how things shake out the next 10-15 games in regards to the shot numbers for Redd and Andrew. If we have a bad game or two where Redd takes say 20-23 shots and Bogut gets few touches, will there be some conflict on the team over it.
Stopshere2
Head Coach
And1: 38

Post#13 » by Stopshere2 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:17 am

Redd took only three shots in the fourth quarter in Milwaukee's loss to Phoenix Tuesday night, and four second-half shots in Saturday night's loss to Golden State.

Instead of Redd being the focal point, the Bucks offense went through center Andrew Bogut the past few games.

In the 4th against Pacers Redd was 3-10 (inc 2 treys) and 2-2 FTs for 10 points in 12 mins. Bogut was 2-2 FGs and 2-4 FTs for 6 points in 6 mins.

Against Phoenix, Bogut was 1-2 playing 9:40 in the 4th. He didn't take shots away from Redd. Ivey and Bell were the main culprits.

Against Warriors, Bogut was 1-4 FGs (including a missed 3-point buzzer beater) and 3-4 FTs, playing 7:30 in the 4th. Again, Bogut wasn't the guy getting the ball or the shots.

Bogut had no assists in the 4th quarter in any of the above games. It just isn't true that the ball is ending up with Bogut in the 4th quarters (apart from Atlanta).

Bogut isn't the guy freezing Redd out of the offence. They both have the right to complain.
Luckily, for the revenue department of the government, speed doesn't kill.
Franc
Analyst

Re: Redd and Bogut vie for control of the Bucks' offense 

Post#14 » by Franc » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:22 am

Serge28 wrote:Here are some quotes from recaps of the Bucks last two wins - against the Hawks last Wednesday and versus the Pacers last night:

Bucks 87 - Atlanta 80:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2008011615

Andrew Bogut is finally turning into the low-post presence the Bucks desperately needed.

Bogut, the former No. 1 pick in his third season, continued his recent tear with 21 points, 10 rebounds and four blocked shots and Milwaukee beat cold-shooting Atlanta 87-80 on Wednesday night.

Bogut's recent surge in production came after several meetings with coach Larry Krystkowiak, which led to more plays for him in the offense.

"They said they were going to get the ball into me a bit more. It's definitely good to hear a coach say that, it gives you confidence," Bogut said. "If I take 20 shots, I'm pretty sure I'll make 50 percent of them or more, so the more shots, the better."

Bogut was 8-of-14 from the field against the Hawks and had 14 points in the second half.

"We've gotten a little more creative with ways to get him the basketball. I think early in the season it's one thing to talk about, 'Hey, let's throw the ball inside and give Andrew an opportunity early in the season,"' Krystkowiak said. "Shame on me for doing so -- if he didn't produce the first two or three times down the floor, often times we'd go to another option."

Milwaukee 104 - Indiana 92

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2 ... 15&prov=ap

Michael Redd has not had a lot of fourth-quarter shots in the past few games, so he sat down with Milwaukee Bucks coach Larry Krystkowiak and devised a new plan before Thursday night's game against Indiana.

The meeting paid immediate dividends as Redd scored 37 points, leading the up-tempo Bucks to a 104-92 victory over the Pacers.

"Let me play, let me go, let me loose," was the way Redd described the result of the meeting. "Just go play. No thinking. Play basketball."

After his pregame meeting with Krystkowiak, Redd was back as the centerpiece of Milwaukee's offense and made 13-of-29 shots. He had five rebounds and five assists without a turnover, scoring 10 in the fourth quarter.

He played every minute of the second half and 45 overall as the Bucks won for only the second time in eight games.

"That might be the way we have to play the rest of the year, fast, up-tempo, keep pushing it, within sense," he said. "It was different tonight. It wasn't so much slow. Just playing in transition."

But did Krystkowiak view the result of the their meeting differently?

"There's nobody on our team I'd rather have taking an open shot than Michael," Krystkowiak said.

"It's the time when maybe he carries the burden on his shoulders a little bit and takes some forced shots," he said. "I don't want to rob anybody of feeling like they can't take shots when they're open."

Here's to hoping that this is one battle Redd will lose.

About LK, how can you respect a coach who changes his mind and tactics so quickly.
Serge28
RealGM
And1: 1,725

Post#15 » by Serge28 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:59 am

Did he though?
Franc
Analyst

Post#16 » by Franc » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:04 am

Serge28 wrote:Did he though?

Only time will tell.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,995

Post#17 » by midranger » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:14 am

Redd, ugh.

We pulled out a victory against the injured D-League Pacers at home (remember everyone bitching about the teams we beat on the road with Redd out?) in the last couple minutes, and that's proof to Redd that he needs to be the featured player?

He loves to see a nice high point total next to his name. Checking Mike Dunleavy is not apparently a top priority.

Redd will be a borderline team cancer by the time this season is out. It's been heading that way for a month. LK seems to have lost control of the ship.
dunhill
Junior

Post#18 » by dunhill » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:39 am

Is a player who openly says he doesn't want to think on a basketball court the type of player you build a franchise around? Really the fact he says "Let me play, let me go, let me loose," was the way Redd described the result of the meeting. "Just go play. No thinking. Play basketball." tells me not only is selfish he is dumb as box of rocks
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,995

Post#19 » by midranger » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:58 am

I don't want my players to have to think on the court, I just want them to be smart enough to know that if there are 2-3 players draped on you... someone else is open.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#20 » by Chapter29 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:08 pm

I find Redd's comments to be very concerning.

You're not supposed to think on a basketball court, you are suppose to train yourself to instinctively know whats going on and make good choices. Over thinking slows things down. For example, Brett shouldn't have to look to where his receiver is, he should know where he should be and then simply do a quick check that he is were he is supposed to be and fire away.

I fear "Let me play, let me go, let me loose" to mean, let me shoot whenever I want. Let me take 30 shots per game, like he did last night. Not that he had a bad game, because he didn't, but I am never a fan of a player taking 30 shots. Both Bogut and Mo should get more looks than they did.

As much as Mo and Redd don't compliment one another I also fear that this team cannot coexist with both Redd and Bogut together. Redd needs to be on a team where he is clearly not the better player, like he was on TeamUSA. Then he plays the game the right way.
Giannis
is
UponUs

Return to Milwaukee Bucks