ImageImageImage

Three consecutive pathetic performances...(get a rebound!)

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,153

Three consecutive pathetic performances...(get a rebound!) 

Post#1 » by chakdaddy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:10 am

With one win salvaged by New Jersey's 4th quarter collapse.

Washington had 16 offensive rebounds;
New Jersey had 19;

Ok, Charlotte only had 9...

But anyway, if you're a big man like Haywood/Boone/Blatche/Jamison it seems safe to assume you'll get ignored in the paint and will be able to clean up on dunks and putbacks.

If this team can't protect the defensive glass and stop turning the ball over, it's going to be a 2nd round exit to someone like Cleveland or Orlando.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#2 » by ParticleMan » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:22 am

It was bad but we still would have won if not for our 4th quarter collapse. We clearly ran out of gas.

Methinks we're a bit spoiled. We had won 17 consectuive games on back-to-backs, with many of those on the road, and we finally lost one. Remember the days when a back-to-back on the road was a guaranteed loss (in our so-called "glory" days of Obie)?
PPAW4Life
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#3 » by PPAW4Life » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:24 am

When "Big" Baby is playing as your Center and you were already getting killed on the boards.....then maybe it's just not meant to be.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by chakdaddy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:29 am

But this is just a matter of getting a ***@#%@#%* body on the guy...

We need a backup ballhandler and a guy with length now. I say sign Payton and anyone out of Webber/PJ Brown/etc who is willing to get on board immediately...
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach

Post#5 » by chakdaddy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:38 am

Oddly, checking the stats, only San Antonio has a higher defensive rebound pct than us.

Anyway, this needs to be corrected since it has directly led to 1 loss and almost another the night before.
rambo_ortega
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#6 » by rambo_ortega » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:10 am

we need an athletic big man off the bench. and it's so clear now.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,276

Post#7 » by celticfan42487 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:23 am

Or we could just need Pollard to return to health. Since you know.. rebounding is his asset.

We've been playing with Posey/Scab at PF, and Garnett at C. You're going to lose rebounds that way an hope their range+ speed make up the diffrence for your team.

If we have Baby and Pollard available off the bench then we have our options of who we want to keep the boards in our favour depending on the other teams Center at the time.

That said Pollard is injury prone, so another Center-size big would be nice whereas another ballhandler is a pressing issue [pun intended]
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#8 » by return2glory » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:37 am

KG is not the same rebounder he was the last few years. KG was the #1 rebounder last year. Perkins is not a consistant on the boards. Davis hardly plays but when he does, he is more effective with another big like KG or Perk. But Doc plays him with Posey.

Posey is a good rebounder at the 3 spot, but the problem is that Doc uses him a lot at the 4.

Ray Allen is hurting this team lately. He has been really bad lately. Ray had only 1 rebound and 1 assist in 41 minutes and failed to score double digits again for the 3rd time in his last 3 games.

The main concern for me right now is Ray Allen's weak play and Rondo's injury.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#9 » by ParticleMan » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:42 pm

I don't see KG's rebounding as having dropped off. Playing next to Blonut and other stiffs means you're going to look good in that dept. KG still gets the tough rebounds in traffic he always did. He is not great positionally (never has been) but he is longer and more athletic than anyone else out there.

Ray is definitely in a slump. I think he is trying to fit in too hard. In SEA he basically had the green light to chuck it from anywhere. he's one of the few guys who can be effective in that situation. He needs to be given more free reign, especially when he's the only one of the triad out there.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,727

Post#10 » by meatball sub » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:31 pm

The team needs to go back and watch how we played the first few games of the year. The ball movement was beautiful on almost every single possession. We've seen the ball movement all year, but it hasn't been that beautiful brand of ball we saw early on in the season. Our offense has become crap in the month of January and we're starting to play like the Pistons where we win because of our D and it's ugly as hell.

I'm really hoping the beginning of the year was just a preview of what this team will be like in the playoffs and they're simply settling into "regular season" mode. I want to see the intensity and sexy basketball I saw at the beginning of the year return come playoff time.

With that said, we're 30-5 and it's a great feeling to be a fan of a top team in the league. We're 30-5 and have played like **** in the emonth of January yet we continue to win and are 4-2 despite playing so poorly. I couldn't be happier right now.
sox839
Senior
And1: 1

Post#11 » by sox839 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:20 pm

where the heck was pollard in any of these games the guy has played well when in there he should have played in the wizard game he is a banger give some fouls and gets some rebounds. Doc should be playing him more he should get his 15 minutes a game.
DelMonte West
Veteran
And1: 660

Post#12 » by DelMonte West » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:24 pm

chakdaddy wrote:But this is just a matter of getting a ***@#%@#%* body on the guy...

We need a backup ballhandler and a guy with length now. I say sign Payton and anyone out of Webber/PJ Brown/etc who is willing to get on board immediately...

If an inability to grab rebounds, box people out, and make athletic defensive plays from your big man are what's frustrating you, that's one thing (it certainly has been poor the last few games). However, signing up a bunch of washed-up old farts that are/were soft in Webber and virtually immobile in Brown are as far from this team's needs (not to mention *athletic* big men) as you can get.

As for Payton...damnit, I'm still going to see what Pruitt's capable of before we panic and bring someone else in. To use an analogy from the past, everybody would have thought we'd need a backup forward if all we saw was Scalabrine play, not knowing a better replacement (Gomes) was on the bench and just needed some time.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by chakdaddy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:33 pm

Nah my point wasn't that Webber really fills a need defensively; but that we might be able to fill our defensive/rebounding deficiencies internally with gentle reminders to actually block out - and that Webber could fill a different need of a big man besides KG who has some offensive aptitute. When KG is out we become the Bulls.

I'd like to see Pruitt too, I wanted to see him last night...
Celtic Esquire
General Manager
And1: 3,673

Post#14 » by Celtic Esquire » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:37 pm

It's no surprise that we are getting killed on the glass.

The team never runs so opposing teams don't have to worry about setting up a decent transition defense. All opposing players can just go for the O board because they don't have to worry about getting back.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,276

Post#15 » by celticfan42487 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:08 am

sox839 wrote:where the heck was pollard in any of these games the guy has played well when in there he should have played in the wizard game he is a banger give some fouls and gets some rebounds. Doc should be playing him more he should get his 15 minutes a game.

injury. He's ankle that he hurt in the pre-season is given him promblems.

I agree though we need to have a back-up Center that isn't 6'6" tall. Doc hates big man ball and given the opp he'll sit Perk everytime and put KG at Center where he suffers and personally hates the postion.
JJHondo17
Pro Prospect
And1: 783

Post#16 » by JJHondo17 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:57 pm

The rebounding the past three games has been down right embarassing. It's all a matter of effort and the effort just hasn't been there the past three games even the win over New Jersey. I think the team collectively has rested on their laurels since the Detroit win. Time to rachet up the intensity, let's go 3-0 this week at home.

Return to Boston Celtics