Redd will return vs. Lakers but will come off bench

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Redd will return vs. Lakers but will come off bench 

Post#1 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:27 am

Per WSSP Post Game Show:

When Redd makes his return in Los Angeles against the Lakers, he will not start. He will come off the bench.

Now... I don't think anyone should read into that as meaning anything at this point. It could, but there is no way of knowing that.

Often a starter will just resume being a starter once he is healthy again, but sometimes a starter will come off the bench his first few games back to get back into the flow of things, depending on the player and the circumstances.

Redd's particular injury has made it harder for him to run/move.

Anyway, I think it will be fun to see Redd coming off the bench for a couple games (I doubt it will be more than two or three games). It will definitely be interesting and I'm sure it will be a topic of discussion here.

Just wanted to pass that along.
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
icat2000
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#2 » by icat2000 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:28 am

Yea heard it on the show. He make a great sixth man :D
Simulack
RealGM
And1: 4

Post#3 » by Simulack » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:29 am

Doubt it means anything. Lebron came off the bench against the Pacers after his injury.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,217

Post#4 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:30 am

First time since 02-03 he'll be coming off the bench.

I know many will say "we don't need him" and "we have won 3 in a row without him" but he's still our best player and it will be good to have him back as we head west.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#5 » by EastSideBucksFan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:35 am

MickeyDavis wrote:First time since 02-03 he'll be coming off the bench.

I know many will say "we don't need him" and "we have won 3 in a row without him" but he's still our best player and it will be good to have him back as we head west.

Yep, I don't remember Redd ever coming off the bench

If we are to win a west coast road trip game, UTA and LAL are the most likely chances, we will need a significant offensive outburst from Redd if we are to have a chance
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,279

Post#6 » by xTitan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:36 am

Lets just hope Redd was watching what team basketball is like when he comes back.
L&H_05
RealGM
And1: 94

Post#7 » by L&H_05 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:43 am

Simulack wrote:Doubt it means anything. Lebron came off the bench against the Pacers after his injury.
And we curb stomped their asses too...

As far as Redd goes, this is what I would do..

You leave for the west coast on the 10th.. Lets say you leave at 3pm, but you tell Mike that the flight is at 4pm...

The rest of the team boards the plane and takes off... Redd arrives an hour late, and contacts the team... The team tells Mike it was their error, and since it was their error no fine will be handed out...

When Mike says he'll catch a flight to LA, you tell him that you would NEVER let a player of his caliber take a commercial flight... The Bucks will send their team plane back for him...

Then of course never send the team plane back... Change the cell numbers, change the locks at the bradley center, and never have contact with him ever again..

Amazing just happened !
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,988

Post#8 » by midranger » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:43 am

Filling that Ben Gordon role for our team.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
mbucks22
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#9 » by mbucks22 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:43 am

Lakers have been playing some elite ball lately, having Redd back in any possible way will be great.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM

Post#10 » by EastSideBucksFan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:46 am

L&H_05 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

And we curb stomped their asses too...

As far as Redd goes, this is what I would do..

You leave for the west coast on the 10th.. Lets say you leave at 3pm, but you tell Mike that the flight is at 4pm...

The rest of the team boards the plane and takes off... Redd arrives an hour late, and contacts the team... The team tells Mike it was their error, and since it was their error no fine will be handed out...

When Mike says he'll catch a flight to LA, you tell him that you would NEVER let a player of his caliber take a commercial flight... The Bucks will send their team plane back for him...

Then of course never send the team plane back... Change the cell numbers, change the locks at the bradley center, and never have contact with him ever again..

Amazing just happened !

Sounds like an episode of Entourage.

A mix between when Bob Ryan got lied about the Universal meeting, Ari got fired by Terrance, and when Vince and the crew needed to get to Cannes but couldn't get a flight.

All kidding aside.

Redd is our best player.

The fact we've been winning without him is a great luxury.

The role players need to continue their level of play when Redd comes back if we are to win against quality teams.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM

Post#11 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:51 am

Simulack wrote:Doubt it means anything. Lebron came off the bench against the Pacers after his injury.

Exactly.

I wanted to make sure that people considered that point before anyone jumped to any conclusions about Redd coming off the bench.

That being said, I suppose we don't know for certain that it doesn't mean anything.

Like you, I doubt it means anything at all.
97-98

Simulack
RealGM

Post#12 » by Simulack » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:52 am

Anyone else find it surprising that you actually have Paschke/Johnny Mac, LK and players like Bogut ALL talking publicly about how Redd will "fit in" when he comes back?

If there wasn't an obvious problem with Redd, this wouldn't even be coming up.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#13 » by carmelbrownqueen » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:53 am

MickeyDavis wrote:First time since 02-03 he'll be coming off the bench.

I definitely agree. Will be nice to have him back...and we don't have a chance in hell against the better teams like the Lakers and PHX without him.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,988

Post#14 » by midranger » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:56 am

Simulack wrote:Anyone else find it surprising that you actually have Paschke/Johnny Mac, LK and players like Bogut ALL talking publicly about how Redd will "fit in" when he comes back?

So true.

All the team meetings that were called, all the talk of team ball, all the "we have to stick togethers."

Something was wrong with Redd. Maybe he gets one more chance to get his mind right before the trading deadline.

I think the olympic team gave him a boost in the ego department that the rest of the team didn't appreciate.

BTW... God awful suit tonight. Hideous.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#15 » by paul » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:57 am

I don't think it means anything, but it will be a good way to ease him into the newly found 'team ball'. If he starts it would be easy to forget he was ever gone and go back to old habits, this makes him more of a roll player. As I said though I don't think that's the reason they are doing it, purely to help him ease back into it after injury I suspect.
It's a big if, but IF Redd can work into the team ball inside out thing we've got going the bucks can be very competitive with most teams imo.
One things for sure though, we'd be in trouble on this road trip without our best player.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM

Post#16 » by EastSideBucksFan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:58 am

midranger wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

So true.

All the team meetings that were called, all the talk of team ball, all the "we have to stick togethers."

Something was wrong with Redd. Maybe he gets one more chance to get his mind right before the trading deadline.

I think the olympic team gave him a boost in the ego department that the rest of the team didn't appreciate.

BTW... God awful suit tonight. Hideous.

I was calling it the "Andre 3000" suit tonight

All Redd needed was an umbrella
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,998

Post#17 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:59 am

I think this is a good idea.....see how he works as a sixth-man. No problems there. John Havlicek did it......

Can we go forward without Redd's talent playing? No.

Is our new three headed backcourt (Mo, Ivey, Bell) really playing well on both sides of the ball? Yes.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#18 » by paul » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:59 am

Simulack wrote:Anyone else find it surprising that you actually have Paschke/Johnny Mac, LK and players like Bogut ALL talking publicly about how Redd will "fit in" when he comes back?

Was just saying that in another thread, Bobby said something after the game as well, like 'well he's been on the road with us watching it happen, we've all got to be accountable for playing team ball'.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM

Post#19 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:00 am

I don't find it surprising because, as I was discussing with EastSideBucksFan in another thread a day or two ago, the impression I've been getting is that there IS a problem with Redd. ESBF was getting that impression as well, and it seems you are as well.

Certainly the things you mention above bolster that impression.
97-98

Simulack
RealGM

Post#20 » by Simulack » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:02 am

midranger wrote:So true.

I can't think of another situation where even the coaches and the players were even discussing the possibility that their "best players" return could adversely effect the team.

Very strange situation. I could see if it was just the media discussing the Patrick Ewing effect but now apparently LK and Bogut are commenting on it as well.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks