ImageImageImage

Flip Saunders explained why Amir doesn't play.

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology

OneBadMutha
Sixth Man
And1: 189

Flip Saunders explained why Amir doesn't play. 

Post#1 » by OneBadMutha » Sun Jan 6, 2008 8:35 am

I don't know who else caught this but this was mentioned on a broadcast a few weeks ago. I bring it up today because it shows why his head is in the wrong place.

Now I could understand if Flip said Amir needs to get stronger to play. I could understand if Flip said the guy needed to understand the playbook better.

But no. His reason is that Amir needs to improve his jump shot. His best shot blocker and most athletic big man can't play until he can shoot better. It's why Brezac plays over Amir.

I won't go on a long rant. I'm sure most of you can figure out what's wrong with this picture. A slow, weak, 7 footer who can't rebound, rotate on defense, or block shots plays over Amir simply because he has a better jump shot.

This Pistons team has a chance to win a Championship this year -- but I just don't know that any team guided by the philosophies of Flip Saunders can win a Championship without Superstars.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#2 » by Liqourish » Sun Jan 6, 2008 9:41 am

You know, Amir is actually a very good shooter, with range out to 3. The previous two years he (and we) was told that he need to play defense and rebound and do other things besides score if he wanted to play. Now he's gone and worked on his rebounding, and shotblocking and is learning more and more about defensive rotations and also how to get past his man in the post, but now Flip wants him to score.

I don't get why it's so hard to understand that Flip needs a whipping boy and Amir seems to be the new Darko. Although Amir doesn't have the lazy attitude.

Amir could play for 5-10 good minutes each night, but Flip doesn't want the "kid" to play.... "because he didn't go to college."
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 336

Post#3 » by Drwho17 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 2:03 pm

I posted about Brezec's game appearance last night. He's pathetic, Boston dominated the boards for his two minutes late in the second quarter, so much so the Pistons had to bench him and bring Maxiell in. He can't rebound or play defense, and the Pistons don't run any plays for him, so what purpose does he have being in the game over Amir Johnson or even Cheik Samb. I'm certain both of those guys could outrebound/defend him, and they might even block a shot or two.
beau
Sixth Man
And1: 8

Post#4 » by beau » Sun Jan 6, 2008 2:15 pm

Hermann could out rebound Brez. The center that cant, jump, defend, block shots, or move his feet, should not play. Amir could have had an impact on that game; as with many others.
#1stunna
Junior
And1: 1

Post#5 » by #1stunna » Sun Jan 6, 2008 5:10 pm

I love brezs heart & hustle but I don't want to see him in our playoff rotation. We dont need another jump shooter that doesnt even get looks. We need another guy that can clean the boards or play down in the post.

1 of my favorite plays this year is when primo dives out of bounds for a loose ball in a blowout. Not many 7fts in this league would do that if the game was on the line. Props to primo for his attitude & willingness to do anything to try to fit in here.
HeroicKennedy
General Manager
And1: 134

Post#6 » by HeroicKennedy » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:25 pm

First off, I'd like to see a link of where Flip said Amir isn't playing because of a lack of a jumpshot.

Secondly, there are reasons why Brezec should play over Amir.

Brezec is an expiring. You need to evaluate him properly before either letting him go, trading him, or bringing him back. Amir is on the first of a three year deal.

Brezec is a legit center, the only position we don't have a back-up for. Amir is a PF/SF, same as Hermann. We already have back-ups for those positions (Maxiell and Hayes).
Low-Ki
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#7 » by Low-Ki » Mon Jan 7, 2008 12:00 am

I just read somewhere today or yesterday where Flip said it was because Maxey is playing so well and neither Maxey or Amir can guard center, meaning one of Sheed or McDyess need to be on the floor at all times - limiting the big man line-up flexability. Brezec leapfrogs Amir in the pecking order because he can play the five.

I just don't think Flip really likes the kid's game. He ALWAYS mentioned his low basketball IQ. Flip can profess to playing the youngsters because Maxey and now Stuckey both are fetting big minutes, Afflalo gets consistant burn as well - three out of four ain't bad right?
Big Steak
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#8 » by Big Steak » Mon Jan 7, 2008 12:37 am

Low-Ki wrote:I just read somewhere today or yesterday where Flip said it was because Maxey is playing so well and neither Maxey or Amir can guard center, meaning one of Sheed or McDyess need to be on the floor at all times - limiting the big man line-up flexability. Brezec leapfrogs Amir in the pecking order because he can play the five.

I just don't think Flip really likes the kid's game. He ALWAYS mentioned his low basketball IQ. Flip can profess to playing the youngsters because Maxey and now Stuckey both are fetting big minutes, Afflalo gets consistant burn as well - three out of four ain't bad right?

Thanks for posting that. I hate to say it but I actually agree with Flip's reasoning; Maxiell is playing very well and it's hard to play them both on the floor at the same time.

I also agree with you on the fact that Flip just isn't a fan of Amir. One thing I noticed about Flip: when he doesn't want to play someone, he wont, even if his reasoning is totally bogus.
GJense4181
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#9 » by GJense4181 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:33 am

This is why we must consider playing Amir at the 3!
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 336

Post#10 » by Drwho17 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:57 am

I'd rather have Chauncey Billups guarding a center then Primo Brezec. To say that he's in there for defense is ridiculous, Primo couldn't guard a pylon.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,536

Post#11 » by Roscoe Sheed » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:04 am

Drwho17 wrote:I'd rather have Chauncey Billups guarding a center then Primo Brezec. To say that he's in there for defense is ridiculous, Primo couldn't guard a pylon.

I agree

Amir should definitely be above Brezec in the pecking order

If Flip refuses to play Amir, then they should either fire Flip or trade Amir for somebody he would actually use right now. I'd rather the former. Amir seems to just need PT to grow, so give him some burn!
PistonsFanFromNJ
Junior
And1: 0

Post#12 » by PistonsFanFromNJ » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:25 am

Option #3: Trade Primo or put him on the inactive list.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,536

Post#13 » by Roscoe Sheed » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:29 am

PistonsFanFromNJ wrote:Option #3: Trade Primo or put him on the inactive list.

I think he will be traded along with Murray and/or Herrmann before the trade deadline. As somebody mentioned before, it would be nice if the Pistons could pry Kurt Thomas away from the Sonics
mercury
Head Coach
And1: 679

Post#14 » by mercury » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:38 am

GJense4181 wrote:This is why we must consider playing Amir at the 3!

I believe this is the right answer... until he adds the needed weight/strength for PF.
I get a kick out of folks wanting Amir to take Brezecs minutes... it's like a death wish for Amir... why on gods earth would he be playing at the 5?

The common problem with fans is they think for today instead of setting up for later... Nazr getting PT is just one example.
Does NE1 actually believe that Brezec is Joe's answer for the playoffs?... he's being showcased.

For all we know Hayes is not in the final plans either.

We simply have to wait for Feb 21 to see what the Pistons brass has in mind for the real season.
GJense4181
Banned User

Post#15 » by GJense4181 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:53 am

mercury wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I believe this is the right answer... until he adds the needed weight/strength for PF.
I get a kick out of folks wanting Amir to take Brezecs minutes... it's like a death wish for Amir... why on gods earth would he be playing at the 5?

It would either slide Maxiell over to backup Ce (ick), or push him into the starting lineup (with McDyess playing solely as the backup to Rasheed and greatly reducing his minutes).
It couldn't happen any other way.
Simply put, Amir cannot get minutes at PF. Maxiell deserves the playing time he's getting. Perhaps more. McDyess has been a pleasant surprise. He has handled the starting role well and the increased minutes.
Hayes needs to either get benched from time to time or move over to SG. Either way, I'd like to see what Hermann AND Amir can do in 15 minute blocks in SOME games. I hate seeing them rack up DNPs...or worse: going on the inactive list.
Dirtgrain
Sixth Man
And1: 61

Post#16 » by Dirtgrain » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:36 pm

I thougth we turned Johnson into a seven footer this summer. :wink:
"Have you ever noticed how anyone driving faster than you is an [jerk] and anyone driving slower than you is a moron?" - George Carlin
Hyperbole is not a virtue.
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,850

Post#17 » by Ben » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:39 pm

I feel your pain. This is pretty much the way most of us Bulls fans feel about their treatment of Tyrus Thomas.
Low-Ki
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#18 » by Low-Ki » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:57 pm

You know something - McDyess as the sole back-up for Sheed isn't a terrible idea for the time being. Both could log 24 minutes a game and stay fresh for the play-offs. I was thinking about doing this against Boston anyways - Sheed uses up all his energy defending KG and has little to offer offensively. Maxey cannot guard KG either and we were only close in this last game because KG was out with foul issues (which certainly wont be there come play-off time). If you could cycle Sheed and Dice on KG for 48 minutes, make sure they make him work constantly at both ends for the full 48- that might be the way to go there.

Doing that now would open up serious playing time for Maxiell and Johnson, while relegating Brezec to 3rd string center. Come later in the year, or play-off time you could go back to starting Dice and Sheed (save against Boston). And the experience Maxey and Amir would get now would only benefit the team later.

I mean, we're not going ot catch Boston for the top seed in the east, so there is no use trying to keep up. I am confident we could go anywhere else and win on the road so as long as we make the play-offs, the seeding doesn't matter to me.
HeroicKennedy
General Manager
And1: 134

Post#19 » by HeroicKennedy » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:50 pm

I don't like Maxiell starting. He's a great 6th man, and McDyess has been playing well since returning to the starting lineup. Why ruin it? Because we want Amir to get on the court that badly? We've got at least 3 more years with the kid. Give him some time, there will be an opening sooner or later.
jab
Starter
Location: Detroit: Where only the strong survive cause the weak are eaten alive!

Post#20 » by jab » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:56 pm

Low-Ki wrote:
I mean, we're not going ot catch Boston for the top seed in the east, so there is no use trying to keep up. I am confident we could go anywhere else and win on the road so as long as we make the play-offs, the seeding doesn't matter to me.

^Spot On

The first part of your post is WHY we won't catch Boston if the Piston players were foolish enough to even TRY at this point.

Flip is trying for the 3rd straight year to figure our how to win games with a preprogrammed 'rotation' instead of matchups. BTW if Flip put McNice on KG for 24 minutes IMO the Pistons would lose by 30 points and the posters on this forum would proceed to trash every starter but one :wink:

I wonder if Flip Saunders family realize that if KG had not been on the Twolves he would have been fired long before he was and would have had to take his playbook back to the CBA and been the answer to the trivia question, Who was KG's first coach.

It would not bother me if Boston won every game for the rest of the regular season except our game on their court.

The 2nd seed in the Eastern Conference will be fine in my book because if we get to the Finals this year we will have more wins than the WCF winner.

Return to Detroit Pistons