ImageImage

Woelfel: Skiles needs to learn to play nice

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#41 » by europa » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:45 pm

BuckSkins Fan wrote:The player in the article is CV. Not Bobby. Bobby and Skiles have already talkled twice, today for over an hour. They are on the same page. I have no idea what Redd thinks. But atleast we all know Redd won't have to play D. That was the worse thing Skiles could've said.

CV, Mo are sh^tting bricks.

As well they should be. Villanueva is about as far removed from Skiles' type of player as you can find and Mo is 180 degrees removed from the type of PG Hammond has said he wants.

We'll see about Redd. It's my hope that if Redd remains he shows greater commitment on the defensive end or Skiles takes the appropriate action. I said before last season that the true test for Krystkowiak would be how he handled Mo and Redd when they put their own interests above the team's. He failed miserably in that regard. Skiles will come in with more clout and the type of rep that will demand accountability so it will be interesting to see how he handles Redd if Redd isn't traded.

And I agree Ayt, it's sad to think that the majority of players in this league probably value a pay check over winning. It's sad that so many great coaches, including three Hall of Famers would be viewed as coaches players wouldn't want to play for. That's astonishing.
Nothing will not break me.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#42 » by carmelbrownqueen » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:47 pm

BuckSkins Fan wrote:The player in the article is CV. Not Bobby. Bobby and Skiles have already talkled twice, today for over an hour. They are on the same page. I have no idea what Redd thinks. But atleast we all know Redd won't have to play D. That was the worse thing Skiles could've said.

:nonono: Somehow I knew it would have to be CV not happy with the hiring of Skiles.

I have a question for you. What does Bobby think after his long conversation with Skiles? How is his conditioning? Any specific things he wants to see this summer happen with this team? In the draft?

Ooops, guess that was more than one question. Sorry.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#43 » by europa » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:49 pm

And Villanueva should be happy. He's wanted to be traded and he'll likely get his wish this summer.
Nothing will not break me.
Bucks_Revenge
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#44 » by Bucks_Revenge » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:51 pm

players today are lazy and do not want to do what it takes to win...they just want to score more points then the opponents.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,231

Post#45 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:54 pm

When CV and LK almost came to blows during the 06-07 season CV backed down like a puppy. No way he wants to play for Skiles. Good, move his ass.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#46 » by REDDzone » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:58 pm

Good to see you around Bucksskinsfan, my first instinct was actually that it was CV. I know that CV has a lot of friends on the Bulls, and would probably have heard things.

You were pretty certain Bobby would be moved this summer, but that was with LK and Harris. Any chance he stays now that Hammond and Skiles are in town?
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Post#47 » by worthlessBucks » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:09 pm

The obvious guess would have been CV, he's tight with Deng (high school) and Gordon (UCONN family), both of whom have spent their pro careers with Skiles.

Edit: I see Reddzone said this, ignore me.
Go Bucks!
steger_3434
RealGM
And1: 5,447

Post#48 » by steger_3434 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:09 pm

Wait a second here. We know that Redd won't have to play D? Is that something that Skiles has said in the media or personally to Simmons? How is Simmons taking the signing? Does he still want out?

This team minus Mo and CV, but with Skiles and Redd doesn't generate any excitement for me. Redd HAS to be shipped out of here for me to give to **** about this team.
yiyiyi wrote:give rockets Redd ,houston give you T-MAC in return .please help rockets!
i dont want see that woman anymore !
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#49 » by jeremyd236 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:13 pm

steger_3434 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Wait a second here. We know that Redd won't have to play D? Is that something that Skiles has said in the media or personally to Simmons? How is Simmons taking the signing? Does he still want out?

This team minus Mo and CV, but with Skiles and Redd doesn't generate any excitement for me. Redd HAS to be shipped out of here for me to give to **** about this team.

Well then you may not be giving a **** for a season or two. This isn't a one year project, it's going to take times. I'd like for both Mo and CV to be moved this offseason, but we'd be lucky if they were both traded.

Maybe guys like Simmons or Redd need a hardass coach because they've never really had one in Milwaukee.
bango_the_buck
Bench Warmer
And1: 149

Post#50 » by bango_the_buck » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:13 pm

BuckSkins Fan wrote:But atleast we all know Redd won't have to play D. That was the worse thing Skiles could've said.

I didn't take Skiles' comments to mean he doesn't expect Redd to play defense. He said some players are poor individual defenders and/or are physically over-matched by their opponents, but if they are giving effort and understand the schemes and can play within the team concept, they can stay on the floor (especially if they are good offensive players). But time will tell...
Scott Skiles on being compared by reporters to Hall of Fame coach Pat Riley: "If I thought you guys knew anything, I'd be flattered."
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#51 » by Epicurus » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:15 pm

Bucks_Revenge wrote:players today are lazy and do not want to do what it takes to win...they just want to score more points then the opponents.

Did you write the above with tongue in cheek? If so, brilliant.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,735

Post#52 » by Ayt » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:23 pm

That is not what he said at all. He said if you aren't a good individual defender, you can still be make up for it a bit by filling your responsibilities within your teams defensive scheme. He also said it is especially important for good offensive players since it allows you to play them big minutes without it being a huge drain on your D.

The obvious example of this is Gordon from the Bulls. He became at worst an average defensive player by simply doing basic defensive things he wasn't good at coming out of UConn. Those things being closing out hard on shooters instead of letting them take open shots, forcing guys to drive into help D instead of letting them drive into the weak points of the defense, being aware of your rotational responsibilities on the weak side, etc. These are all things that even poor individual defenders need to do.

I've watched a ton of Bulls games over the last several years and one thing Skiles won't do is play a guy that isn't trying to play within the defensive scheme. You may suck at it, but you still have to put in the effort to play within the scheme.
Wade-A-Holic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#53 » by Wade-A-Holic » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:35 pm

Basically Skiles is saying he'll take the Toni Kukoc's of the world any day. Although Kukoc was often over matched in terms of quickness and/or strength, his focus and awareness on that end of the floor was second to none. He played excellent help defense and gave all his effort on that end. I remember that really none of us minded him on that end of the floor precisely for that reason. I agree with Skiles on this one.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#54 » by EastSideBucksFan » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:43 pm

Here's one of the quotes regarding Skiles defensive philosophies and having one bad defender.

"You have to hold guys accountable. I was by no means a defense player myself but I still knew the schemes to play in a team concept. That's what you have to do. Some guys are not good individual defenders but you have to protect them and hopefully put them in schemes and concepts that they can still have success. And especially if they're good offensive players that you can still leave them on the floor.

Skiles sounded willing to make difficult decisions.

"I kind of look at it like this," he said.I'm never looking for confrontation. I would hope that (a confrontation) would never occur. That as a coach, you never have to take somebody out because they're not doing something but it does (happen) and I'm not afraid of it. I would hope that it doesn't but I know that it's probably inevitable. I have to make those decisions and those are tough decisions to make."

He's ready to work with Redd, find a way to protect him as a bad defender. Put him in schemes he can have some success in. The end part where you have to leave them in if they're "especially good offensively".

BUT, if he's taking bad shots. He will take him out. He will make those decisions that LK was not able to follow thru on, even if it wasn't his fault.

THANKS for chiming in BuckSkins. I knew you were still around.

Whats the feeling in the Simmons camp? Does he want to give the Hammond/Skiles regime a chance? Is he asking to be traded or has management let it be known that he might be moved.

I'd imagine if Skiles talked to him for an hour I would think that means Bobby is part of the plan and will be here.
Wade-A-Holic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by Wade-A-Holic » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:53 pm

I highly doubt Simmons requested to be moved. He's not even close to being in a position to do so.

I imagine they're just trying to find out where Simmons' head is at and trying to get him to buy into an off season program that will get him where they want him to be.

The thing is that neither Simmons nor Redd are afraid of hard work. Both are self-made second round players who earned their status, contracts, and reputations based on hard work. I think that injuries (in Bobby's case), lots of losing, big guaranteed contracts, having some crappy guys in the locker room, and the presence of pushover coaches have really discouraged them from continuing to put in the work. With some health, optimism for winning, and a coach that will demand that everyone play the right way, we might see some of the best out of those two players. I'm not saying they'll justify their contracts, just saying I'm hoping for much better. I can't say I have the same amount of hope for Mo Williams.
BuckSkins Fan
Sophomore

Post#56 » by BuckSkins Fan » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:15 am

Everyone can take what is being said and interpret there own way. I would rather Skiles say that I dont care who you are, your going to play defense. The most important thing on defense is effort. I dont want player A being held to a different criteria. I am also saying I may 100% wrong in what I thought he meant. If Redd is athletic enough to play D on the Olympic team, he can do it in a Bucks uniform.

Now lets answer some questions.
CBQ...Bobby was/is very impressed with SS. The conversation covered every aspect. Skiles asked him "What the F happend this year> He let Bobby tell him the entire story. They talked about it in great length and SS said, great, that's all over with. As of right now we are starting 100% over with a clean slate. Bobby is in better shape today than he has been in two years. As we all could tell, he was moving alot better at the end of the year. He has already been to Tim Grovers gym and they have already started on the offseason program. The goals, physically are to be lighter, stronger, and faster than ever. This is the first offseason since he was with the Clippers that he is actually healthy and can have an aggressive offseason program. Right now he is taking some time off to relax with his family.

The major things that he thought the team needed have already been dealt with. As for the draft, all he has said is that the Bucks need some luck so they can draft his boy D Rose. Rose went to the same HS in Chicago as Bobby.
Bobby knows that if he plays for Skiles, he will thrive. All the things Skiles preaches is what Bobby can do.

Reddzone. I was 100% positive Bobby was as good as gone with LK here. Now that LK has been dealt with and a coach that has been brought in that will talk the talk and walk the walk, I must say that Bobby feels extremely optomistic about what's going on. There is a buzz, like something special is going on, and it's going on in Mil.

Steger. bout the Redd comment, it was not something said to Bobby it was said in the press conf. He talked about being accountable, expecting excellence, and hiding weak defensive players. I dont like having to hide anyone. Redd is too athlectic offensively to say he cant play defense. I just hope he doesn't treat certain guys different than others. Every single player on this roster desperately needs to get their azz kicked. Every single player needs to play defense. Not just be hidden or covered in schemes.

As for the hire, Bobby knows its great for the organization. He knew that whether it was Carlisle or Skiles it would be a tremendous step in the right direction. He also knows SS is the type of coach that he would love to play for. SS demands physical, tough, team first players, who play defense. That's Bobby for sure.

One bothersome thing is that SS is a tough nose coach and this roster has several weak players. Yi, CV, Mo, Redd are butter. There will be alot of changes coming this summer.

Edited to say nice post Wade a holic! 90% of the posts about Bobby on here are negative.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#57 » by EastSideBucksFan » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:26 am

BuckSkins Fan wrote:Everyone can take what is being said and interpret there own way. I would rather Skiles say that I dont care who you are, your going to play defense. The most important thing on defense is effort. I dont want player A being held to a different criteria. I am also saying I may 100% wrong in what I thought he meant. If Redd is athletic enough to play D on the Olympic team, he can do it in a Bucks uniform.

Now lets answer some questions.
CBQ...Bobby was/is very impressed with SS. The conversation covered every aspect. Skiles asked him "What the F happend this year> He let Bobby tell him the entire story. They talked about it in great length and SS said, great, that's all over with. As of right now we are starting 100% over with a clean slate. Bobby is in better shape today than he has been in two years. As we all could tell, he was moving alot better at the end of the year. He has already been to Tim Grovers gym and they have already started on the offseason program. The goals, physically are to be lighter, stronger, and faster than ever. This is the first offseason since he was with the Clippers that he is actually healthy and can have an aggressive offseason program. Right now he is taking some time off to relax with his family.

The major things that he thought the team needed have already been dealt with. As for the draft, all he has said is that the Bucks need some luck so they can draft his boy D Rose. Rose went to the same HS in Chicago as Bobby.
Bobby knows that if he plays for Skiles, he will thrive. All the things Skiles preaches is what Bobby can do.

Reddzone. I was 100% positive Bobby was as good as gone with LK here. Now that LK has been dealt with and a coach that has been brought in that will talk the talk and walk the walk, I must say that Bobby feels extremely optomistic about what's going on. There is a buzz, like something special is going on, and it's going on in Mil.

Steger. bout the Redd comment, it was not something said to Bobby it was said in the press conf. He talked about being accountable, expecting excellence, and hiding weak defensive players. I dont like having to hide anyone. Redd is too athlectic offensively to say he cant play defense. I just hope he doesn't treat certain guys different than others. Every single player on this roster desperately needs to get their azz kicked. Every single player needs to play defense. Not just be hidden or covered in schemes.

As for the hire, Bobby knows its great for the organization. He knew that whether it was Carlisle or Skiles it would be a tremendous step in the right direction. He also knows SS is the type of coach that he would love to play for. SS demands physical, tough, team first players, who play defense. That's Bobby for sure.

One bothersome thing is that SS is a tough nose coach and this roster has several weak players. Yi, CV, Mo, Redd are butter. There will be alot of changes coming this summer.

Edited to say nice post Wade a holic! 90% of the posts about Bobby on here are negative.

Thanks for the info. I hope Bobby has a great summer and doesn't have any injury setbacks. It would be great to see Bobby play the way he did when he was with the Clippers. He has the ability to be a very good defender and with Skiles, hopefully that will come out.

It's good to hear that the players are going into the offseason with a positive tone regarding the team. Well, some players I guess. Mo and CV are likely candidates to be moved, but maybe thats what they both want.

I find it interesting that you say Skiles hasn't contacted Redd yet.
BuckSkins Fan
Sophomore

Post#58 » by BuckSkins Fan » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:29 am

ESBF.

I never said anything about Skiles contacting Redd or not. You trying to get me in trouble. :wink:
steger_3434
RealGM
And1: 5,447

Post#59 » by steger_3434 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:31 am

Thanks for the info Buckskin. You're my kind of guy. Not hiding behind sources or afraid to devulge information. You just tell it the way you see it. Thanks again.
yiyiyi wrote:give rockets Redd ,houston give you T-MAC in return .please help rockets!
i dont want see that woman anymore !
Wade-A-Holic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by Wade-A-Holic » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:35 am

I'm becoming more and more convinced that Mo and CV will be the ones to go. Redd and Simmons will be here - not that they're untouchable or anything. I just think they're both much more willing to work and therefore will be given a shot to succeed with Skiles. At the very least, Simmons' trade value can really only go up (if for no other reason than he'll have an expiring contract somewhat soon).

Return to Milwaukee Bucks