ImageImageImageImageImage

OT - D-League coming to Toronto or Hamilton?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

OT - D-League coming to Toronto or Hamilton? 

Post#1 » by LittleOzzy » Sun Mar 9, 2008 7:14 pm

Elliotte Friedman mentioned during the Raptors game that a group of investors are interested in working with MLSE to bring a D-League team to Toronto or Hamilton.

Does anyone know anything about this? Could it be the same people who are talking about bringing a WNBA team to Ontario?

Do you think Oshawa may be in consideration for one of the teams as MLSE owns the arena there?

What do you think this will do to the ABA and PBL who are looking to have teams in Hamilton and Toronto? I guess those teams will never come to be.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm excited about having more basketball in Ontario.

Does anyone have any information?
arrow2knee
Bench Warmer
And1: 40

D-League in Hamilton 

Post#2 » by arrow2knee » Sun Mar 9, 2008 7:17 pm

did anyone catch Elliot freedmen talking about a d-league team in Hamilton.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by LittleOzzy » Sun Mar 9, 2008 7:33 pm

I guess no one has any information. I hope one of the major papers decides to look into it and put out a piece on the subject in a day or two.
RockTHECasbah
Lead Assistant
And1: 10

Post#4 » by RockTHECasbah » Sun Mar 9, 2008 7:35 pm

It would be the most popular D-League team, no doubt
Know anyone who is disabled? has an addiction?
HandyTax - Your Canadian Disability Tax Credit Consultants
http://www.handytax.ca
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,485

Post#5 » by Bankai » Sun Mar 9, 2008 7:39 pm

They said a group FROM Hamilton is looking to get an NBDL team TO Hamilton and wants the help of the Raptors organization.

Also hints of a group FROM Toronto is looking to get an WNBA team TO Toronto and wants the help of the Raptors organization.

Thats the gist of it. These moves could help basketball grow immensely in this area, and im for it. Plus with the possibly of a NFL team to Toronto :o Toronto is on fiya! :clap:
raps4life~
General Manager
And1: 25

Post#6 » by raps4life~ » Sun Mar 9, 2008 7:48 pm

Hey, it ain't the NBA ...
But Raptors placing a D-League farm team in Copps will draw drafted players

January 16, 2008
Scott Radley
The Hamilton Spectator

Talks are under way that could bring a new Toronto Raptors' farm team to Hamilton.

However, there's differing opinions on how close any such deal is to being consummated.

Two sources familiar with the situation made clear yesterday that Copps Coliseum is one of two locations being considered -- Oshawa is the other -- for a franchise that would begin play either this fall or next in the NBA's Developmental League.

Outside of the NBA itself, the D-League is considered the highest-level basketball in North America. Dozens of players have moved through the system and jumped to the NBA, including the Raptors' Jamario Moon, former Raptor and current Houston Rocket Rafer Alston, and Sacramento's Mikki Moore.

One source says Hamilton is the clear front-runner for a team and put the chances of one landing here at 81/2 out of 10. Barring unforeseen glitches, the source said things could be finalized very quickly.

"I would say within weeks."

A second source insists Hamilton is in the mix, but says things aren't quite that far along and putting any deal together would almost certainly take longer than that, if it happened at all.

However, in a Toronto Star report yesterday, Raptors' president Bryan Colangelo said he's been considering for some time the possibility of starting a team in southern Ontario as a way to have better control over the development of some of his non-roster players.

"We're exploring possible involvement similar to what you see in Los Angeles and San Antonio," Colangelo told The Star.

Those two cities have their own D-League teams -- unlike most NBA teams which share with one or two others -- nearby in Los Angeles and Austin. That allows a team to have its hand-selected coaches implement its philosophy and its systems, so players who are called up are already familiar with how things run and are ready to step in and play immediately.

The Raptors share a franchise in Colorado with the Denver Nuggets and New Jersey Nets.

This entire situation muddies the water significantly for the arrival of a previously announced American Basketball Association team that vowed to set up shop at Copps but has yet to sign a lease.

Brian Luckman, the owner of that team -- nicknamed the Hamilton Rockstars -- couldn't be reached for comment last night. However, the CEO of Hamilton Entertainment and Convention Facilities Inc. that operates Copps says negotiations with Luckman have at least temporarily stopped, meaning that while the Raptors have not yet stepped forward to express interest, the door is open to them if they want to talk.

"Negotiations with the ABA are on hold at the moment," Duncan Gillespie says.

"Nothing precludes HECFI from negotiating with any party at this point."

Gillespie stressed that he's exceedingly interested in finding a second pro sports franchise for the arena.

Truth is, given a choice between the D-League and the ABA, most would argue the former is a far superior situation for this city.

While the ABA has had its share of difficulties, plays in smaller arenas, is scheduled to usher in as many as 49 expansion franchises next season, and is seen as the most minor of minor leagues, the D-League comes with the weight and significant resources of the National Basketball Association brand.

Stocked with drafted players in their first or second year of pro hoops and top undrafted players, the level of play is high and those involved are hungry to make the jump to the next level.

Further, with the Raptors clearly interested in further developing their fan base throughout southern Ontario, a team here would be properly financed and carefully run.

"It would work," says local businessman and basketball legend Ron Foxcroft. "They'd probably get 4,000-5,000 people. Hamilton is no doubt a (basketball) hotbed and most important, it's affordable."

Throughout the league, tickets range in price from a high of $148 for a courtside seat in Anaheim, to $5 for a seat in Bakersfield, Calif. Most tickets come in between $8 and $25.

Foxcroft believes the connection with basketball's best league alone would be beneficial to the city's image.

"Having that NBA brand associated with Hamilton and Copps Coliseum would be nothing but a plus."
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by LittleOzzy » Sun Mar 9, 2008 7:50 pm

thank you raps4life~ that's awesome.

Like I said I figured Oshawa would be in the mix, using an arena already being run by MLSE makes things so much easier.
Huskies1947
Head Coach
And1: 1,174

Post#8 » by Huskies1947 » Sun Mar 9, 2008 8:00 pm

So WNBA and D-League team... :|
Bosh-Tyme
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#9 » by Bosh-Tyme » Sun Mar 9, 2008 8:01 pm

hey if we get a WNBA team maybe we can get a team in the shooting stars game for all-star weekend
HaZe123
Senior
And1: 0

Post#10 » by HaZe123 » Sun Mar 9, 2008 10:04 pm

I'm from Hamilton and the word is that an NDBL team is a virtual lock to be coming here.

The question is, will it be successful? Honestly, Hamilton is a BAD sports market and Copps Coliseum is a dated arena. And the downtown core is pretty bad besides a few decent bars... in the summertime it is much better with Hess Village hoppin'.
The-Insider
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#11 » by The-Insider » Sun Mar 9, 2008 10:10 pm

Richard Peddie, from what I recall, already dismissed the possibility of a WNBA team coming to Toronto because they looked at the situation and it didn
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#12 » by Nolan » Sun Mar 9, 2008 10:37 pm

I think its a great idea. The Spurs have a very similar set up and it works well for them.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Huskies1947
Head Coach
And1: 1,174

Post#13 » by Huskies1947 » Sun Mar 9, 2008 11:18 pm

HaZe123 wrote:I'm from Hamilton and the word is that an NDBL team is a virtual lock to be coming here.

The question is, will it be successful? Honestly, Hamilton is a BAD sports market and Copps Coliseum is a dated arena. And the downtown core is pretty bad besides a few decent bars... in the summertime it is much better with Hess Village hoppin'.

Honestly, I'm laughing at people who don't think a DLEAGUE team can survive in Canada. We're talking about a league that plays in front of some of the smallest crowds I've ever seen.

Code: Select all

2006-07 Attendance Report:

RANKING.....TEAM.......................AVG ATTENDANCE
1..............Sioux Falls Skyforce......................3225 (6 games reported)
2..............Bakersfield Jam............................2898 (4 games reported)
3..............Dakota Wizards...........................2564 (5 games reported)
4..............Idaho Stampede..........................2245 (3 games reported)
5..............Austin Turos...............................1817 (4 games reported)
6..............Arkansas Rimrockers.....................1797 (6 games reported)
7..............Tulsa 66ers.................................1758 (7 games reported)
8..............Colorado 14ers.............................1738 (4 games reported)
9..............Fort Worth Flyers..........................1669 (5 games reported)
10............Alburquerque........................ .........1357 (3 games reported)
11............Anahiem Arseneils............................780 (2 games reported)
12............Los Angeles Defenders......................000 (0 games reported)

Clearly this is not a league that needs 10,000+ every night to be competitive. MLSE/Raptors probably see this as a way to develop their talent more than a money making venture.
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,552

Post#14 » by Latrell » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:08 am

I also live in Hamilton and I would welcome a D-League team with open arms. The only decent basketball around here right now is Mac games, I think D-League would be a hit. Tickets would obviously be cheap and like someone said Hamilton is a basketball hotbed, I say we'd easily average more attendance than the teams listed above. Can't wait for this to happen.
MJ23DREAMER
Bench Warmer

Post#15 » by MJ23DREAMER » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:34 am

Thanks raps4life for the info as I clearly recall the Star article.

Also, there were thoughts of integrating or somehow having an affiliation and or support with the Olympic team. BC's thoughts are equally brand driven and player development driven. With the Raptors/ MLSE brand driving this team it will be very much modeled after the Marlies minor league team. Having your minor league team within a stones throw reduces costs from every level. Logistics, scouting, training costs and many other areas.

The most important thing about managing and owning a team outright is that you can instill and train your players in a very specific way vs. sharing or having a few players on a shared team. Prepare them for the big team with a heads-up on the the way the big team plays the game, runs specific plays and alike.

I think we could look at this possibly by 2010 IMO.
HaZe123
Senior

Post#16 » by HaZe123 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:40 am

Huskies1947 wrote:
HaZe123 wrote:I'm from Hamilton and the word is that an NDBL team is a virtual lock to be coming here.

Honestly, I'm laughing at people who don't think a DLEAGUE team can survive in Canada. We're talking about a league that plays in front of some of the smallest crowds I've ever seen.

Code: Select all

2006-07 Attendance Report:

RANKING.....TEAM.......................AVG ATTENDANCE
1..............Sioux Falls Skyforce......................3225 (6 games reported)
2..............Bakersfield Jam............................2898 (4 games reported)
3..............Dakota Wizards...........................2564 (5 games reported)
4..............Idaho Stampede..........................2245 (3 games reported)
5..............Austin Turos...............................1817 (4 games reported)
6..............Arkansas Rimrockers.....................1797 (6 games reported)
7..............Tulsa 66ers.................................1758 (7 games reported)
8..............Colorado 14ers.............................1738 (4 games reported)
9..............Fort Worth Flyers..........................1669 (5 games reported)
10............Alburquerque........................ .........1357 (3 games reported)
11............Anahiem Arseneils............................780 (2 games reported)
12............Los Angeles Defenders......................000 (0 games reported)

Clearly this is not a league that needs 10,000+ every night to be competitive. MLSE/Raptors probably see this as a way to develop their talent more than a money making venture.

True true.
arrow2knee
Bench Warmer
And1: 40

Post#17 » by arrow2knee » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:51 am

I think a team would be great if there was one in London i would defiantly support it.
And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,742

Post#18 » by And1Skip » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:06 am

What happens to the reportedly ABA franchise in Hamilton that will begin in the 2008-2009 season, where the infamous Chris Childs is the GM of the team? This was reported last November I remember. Is this team gone if an NBDL team goes there?
ilikecb4
Assistant Coach
And1: 4

Post#19 » by ilikecb4 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:04 am

i'd be a great idea to have a Dleague team in Hamilton ...

we could get all our euros to try out the life in the D league before commiting them to the raptors
totallyr
Assistant Coach
And1: 111

Post#20 » by totallyr » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:49 am

Finally a home for Joey
To all our soldiers serving overseas, be safe and come home soon

Return to Toronto Raptors