Image Image Image Image

Chris Coghlan's Value

maskedfox007
Ballboy
And1: 4

Chris Coghlan's Value 

Post#1 » by maskedfox007 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:40 am

I can't decide whether I think he has more value in a trade this offseason or if he's kept around. He's hot right now, so his value could be the highest it will get, then again, a team where Castro is one of the veterans is worrisome. What does anyone think could come in a trade for him?

http://www.otherleague.com/franchises/cubs-may-want-factor-chris-coghlan-future-plans/
NW7
Pro Prospect
And1: 7

Re: Chris Coghlan's Value 

Post#2 » by NW7 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:11 am

I think he has more value to the Cubs than another team.

For as good as a hitter Coghlan has been for us this year, he's been an equally worse defensive player for us (his WAR is currently .4). I really doubt the return for him would be anything but "meh", as I think most teams would view him as a 4th outfielder/platoon guy. I guess we have seen Theo and co work people in trades so the return might be a bit better then that.

I would rather see him hold down the outfield spot to start the year (unless we sign Rusney or pull off a blockbuster trade with one of the young infielders this off-season) and then he can transition to a 4th outfielder once Addison comes up around mid-season.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,571

Re: Chris Coghlan's Value 

Post#3 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:59 am

Coghlan won't bring anything that matters in a trade. If were included as a last piece in a big trade I wouldn't be upset, but he doesn't have any real trade value. To the Cubs he has value as the 3rd or 4th OF on the team. He probably starts the year as the 3rd starting OF then after Bryant and Russell are up he is the 4th OF. Assuming they don't do something incredibly awesome this off-season like add Giancarlo Stanton and Rusney Castillo to go in the OF with Soler. Then Coghlan would be your 4th OF with Ruggiano as the 5th. That would be a very strong OF.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw

Return to Chicago Cubs