ImageImageImageImage

Do we need to get a "big" bat?

greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Do we need to get a "big" bat? 

Post#1 » by greenbeans » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:57 pm

Whether through trade or fa it doesnt matter, but do you think we can roll with the current setup of four no.5 hitters(Bay,Drew,Youk,Lowell) or do we need to get a legit cleanup guy this offseason?

and any ideas of players to go after that aren't Teixera or Matt Holliday?

Just for the sake of argument let's say the Cubs sign Manny would you be open to getting Soriano?

This will be an interesting offseason no doubt
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Re: Do we need to get a "big" bat? 

Post#2 » by Basketball Jesus » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:48 pm

Trade Lester for Prince Fielder straight up. Do it. Do it now while Lester's value has never been higher.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
Prophet_C
Starter
And1: 99

Post#3 » by Prophet_C » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:18 pm

F that. No way we trade Lester.

I think we need a big bat. Papi is declining and so is Lowell. Drew is injury prone and besides that we don't have much power. The only guy that is increasing his home runs is Youk and let's hope he can continue that trend. Bay will give us about 30 which is solid but we need more homers out of our outfield.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#4 » by Celtics_Champs » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:08 pm

Reports have us linked to Texiera.

Holliday...nah.
Soriano...I don't see it.

I say sign texiera. Eat lowells contract.

Ellsbury
Pedroia
Ortiz
Tex
Youk
Bay
Drew
Lowrie
Tek (2 years 12 million)

And on the bench you have lowell.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#5 » by sunshinekids99 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:03 am

I say sign Tex and move Youk to left. Then move Bay for pitching/prospects. We've won with far worse defense in left field. While I have nothing against JBay, he is no Tex.
Prophet_C
Starter

Post#6 » by Prophet_C » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:53 pm

I really don't see us signing Tex. We're aren't going to eat Lowell's contract and I want to keep Youkillis in the infield.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#7 » by greenbeans » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:16 pm

Anyone know where I could find the list of next offseasons fa's? that might help narrow down the choices.

edit: and after a whole 30sec of looking http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2001/0 ... gents.html\

Kind of a sad list. the only name that jumped out at me was V. Martinez, but there's a 2010 option
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Basketball Jesus » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:20 pm

Seriously: Prince Fielder. The Brewers were rumored to be shopping him for pitching with a purported Cain-for-Fielder deal fizzling out. Why not Lester for Fielder straight up? I mean I like Lester and he’s a fan favorite and inspirational figure but his peripherals and minor league history suggest he’ll be nothing more than a good-not great pitcher. Why not move him for one of the best power hitters in the league, bad-body career arcs be damned.

Hell, if that ain’t your bag; do it a package involving Buchholz or Bowden. I’m sure the Brewers would still bite if the price was right.

The Sox would be prudent to not get into a dick-waving contest with the Yankees for free agent hitting talent. The Yankees have a good chunk of change to spend this offseason and you know, with their needs, they’re going to make a hard charge at Teix.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Celtics_Champs » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:03 pm

Aren't fielder and Ryan Howard being quietly shopped? Contracts or something like that.

If that was the case, I would go after Howard.

Lester for Fielder, sure, good deal, but I don't see the sox making a move like that.

winter meetings can't come soon enough.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Basketball Jesus » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:19 pm

Eh, Howard’s four years older, more expensive, and, if this season was any indication, he’s already hitting his decline. If he comes at a discount, yeah, sure, I’d give it a thought but if the Phillies want a comparable package to what the Brewers would want for Fielder, you take Fielder without question.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Celtics_Champs » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:01 pm

Don't get me wrong I like Fielder. But how is his defense? I still think ortiz has 2 maybe 3 more years of production...that might be just me. So he fills the DH role. Can fielder go out there and play first everyday?
Prophet_C
Starter

Post#12 » by Prophet_C » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:43 pm

Bucholz or Bowden and I'd do that deal. No Lester though.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Basketball Jesus » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:10 pm

Celtics_Champs wrote:Don't get me wrong I like Fielder. But how is his defense? I still think ortiz has 2 maybe 3 more years of production...that might be just me. So he fills the DH role. Can fielder go out there and play first everyday?

Quick eyeballing, but Fielder’s defense seems to be comparable to Howard’s: Rate2 and RAR both suggest they’re below-average defensively so you’re pretty much comparing bats when comparing Fielder and Howard.
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#14 » by HCYanks » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:22 am

Eh, is the league still at the point where a pitcher with a flashy one-season ERA can be used as bait to get something more valuable? Prince could be a superstar if all goes well and still has three years of arbitration to go before hitting free agency, Lester probably isn't getting better than he is now, and Dave Littlefield isn't running the Brewers.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#15 » by sunshinekids99 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:34 am

I'd rather not move Lester for Prince. I'm all for a Clay, Bowden, and prospects move tho.

Return to Boston Red Sox