ImageImageImage

Around The League News And Rumors (Non-Braves)

Moderator: HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,163

Re: Around The League News And Rumors (Non-Braves) 

Post#81 » by HMFFL » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:45 pm

The Nationals are visiting Mark Buehrle today. The visit is going to be more personal because the Nats are visiting him at his home and supposedly Buehrle is their top free agent choice.
ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Post#82 » by ohara » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:15 pm

Telling you guys what. Our Division is getting very involved in trying to improve themselves at just about every level. Phillies are always making moves to improve. Nationals are trying, and they have the #1 picks from the past 2 years to build upon. Marlins are making waves making what appear to be substantial offers for Reyes and Pujols. We already dealt Lowe, and looks like we are trying to do more. I think the only one not doing much of anything appears to be the Mets.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#83 » by ohara » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:19 pm

Congrats to Verlander for winning the AL MVP on top of the AL Cy Young Award. When you have a year this strong, and no one else in the AL does anything else remarkable to take it, I have no problem with a pitcher getting the MVP. He is something special.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#84 » by HMFFL » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:47 pm

ohara wrote:Congrats to Verlander for winning the AL MVP on top of the AL Cy Young Award. When you have a year this strong, and no one else in the AL does anything else remarkable to take it, I have no problem with a pitcher getting the MVP. He is something special.

Very deserving.
bstrassburg
Bench Warmer
And1: 50

Post#85 » by bstrassburg » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:18 pm

I normally hate the idea of pitchers winning MVP but Verlander truly made a difference every time he was on the field.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#86 » by HMFFL » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:12 pm

C.J. Wilson is going to meet with the Marlins after Thanksgiving. I have no problem with them signing him if it's for the $120 million he has on the table right now. I support the Marlins locking the 32 year old up into a bad contract.

I found this amusing....

The Marlins have pursued trades and free agents aggressively so far this offseason. Most recently, Gio Gonzalez has emerged as a possible trade target for the team. Here are the details on the Marlins’ offseason, via Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald:

The A’s have demanded a package containing Logan Morrison or Mike Stanton for Gonzalez and the Marlins “flatly rejected” the possibility.

I find it amusing because the Marlins probably tried to pull a fast one on Oakland and they probably turned the tables on Marlins.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#87 » by ATL Boy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:17 pm

ohara wrote:Congrats to Verlander for winning the AL MVP on top of the AL Cy Young Award. When you have a year this strong, and no one else in the AL does anything else remarkable to take it, I have no problem with a pitcher getting the MVP. He is something special.

Good for Verlander, but I think that the Red Sox self destruct really cost Ellsbury the award.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#88 » by ATL Boy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:32 pm

Details of the Phillies Rollins negotiations emerged, Rollins wants a 5 year deal but the Phills don't want to give him 5 years, the last thing the Phills need is another old player signed in long term.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#89 » by HMFFL » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:55 pm

Marlins interested in former Tiger Guillen http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/mlbb ... en/8398216

Guillen is 36 years old.

Breaking News: Miami is interested in EVERY free agent.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#90 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:05 pm

Greg Maddux leaving Cubs for Rangers,

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/72951 ... as-rangers

Why not come back and work with the Braves ? :dontknow:
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#91 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:06 pm

Per Wiretap, Broxton and Royals reach an agreement on a 1 yr deal.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#92 » by HMFFL » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:38 am

Nemesis21 wrote:Greg Maddux leaving Cubs for Rangers,

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/72951 ... as-rangers

Why not come back and work with the Braves ? :dontknow:

I'd love to have Maddux back in Atlanta. I guess spending time with his brother and family is a bigger priority for him. Good for him!
bstrassburg
Bench Warmer

Post#93 » by bstrassburg » Thu Dec 1, 2011 10:21 pm

Sounds like Alex Gonzalez is in discussions with the San Francisco GIants according to ESPN Deportes.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#94 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Dec 1, 2011 11:00 pm

bstrassburg wrote:Sounds like Alex Gonzalez is in discussions with the San Francisco GIants according to ESPN Deportes.

Since Braves believe Pastornicky may not be ready until '13, why not re-sign Jack Wilson on a 1 yr deal to play SS ?
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#95 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Dec 2, 2011 4:00 am

jaysonst Jayson Stark
#Marlins agree to 3-year $27M deal w Heath Bell, pending physical. Expected to take physical tomorrow. via twitter 5 mins ago
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#96 » by HMFFL » Fri Dec 2, 2011 4:18 am

Nemesis21 wrote:jaysonst Jayson Stark
#Marlins agree to 3-year $27M deal w Heath Bell, pending physical. Expected to take physical tomorrow. via twitter 5 mins ago

Miami fans should be pleased.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#97 » by ohara » Fri Dec 2, 2011 12:46 pm

Marlin fans do have to be happy. Their FO is really making an effort to improve. Bell now, and I expect Reyes to sign soon. I wont be surprised if they make one more big splash as well. Getting that new stadium has put the FO in gear into spending money. They want to put butts in the seats, and they are showing they will spend money to do it. Good for the Fish fans.
bstrassburg
Bench Warmer

Post#98 » by bstrassburg » Fri Dec 2, 2011 12:48 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
bstrassburg wrote:Sounds like Alex Gonzalez is in discussions with the San Francisco GIants according to ESPN Deportes.

Since Braves believe Pastornicky may not be ready until '13, why not re-sign Jack Wilson on a 1 yr deal to play SS ?

I think that this is the most likely scenario, unfortunately the Mets, Dodgers and a few other teams with young shortstops also seem to have the same idea with Jack Wilson and he might take the first good offer made to him and the Braves don't seem to want to make an offer right now. Hopefully we'll know more when the GM meetings role around.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#99 » by HMFFL » Fri Dec 2, 2011 3:14 pm

Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that Jorge Posada would like to continue playing in 2012 and his preference would be to sign with the Marlins.
Posada lives in Miami and at this point in his career would probably be fine with being a backup, so there could be a fit. The Marlins have Brett Hayes to back up John Buck, but they might value Posada's leadership and ability to also fill in at first base. He'd have to be reasonable about his salary expectations, though.
Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#100 » by HMFFL » Fri Dec 2, 2011 3:16 pm

ohara wrote:Marlin fans do have to be happy. Their FO is really making an effort to improve. Bell now, and I expect Reyes to sign soon. I wont be surprised if they make one more big splash as well. Getting that new stadium has put the FO in gear into spending money. They want to put butts in the seats, and they are showing they will spend money to do it. Good for the Fish fans.

Miami may offer more money. They seem to think he'll sign anyway, but they want a deal done now, and paying more could very well speed up the process.

Return to Atlanta Braves