Braves, Dodgers announce six-player trade

Moderator: HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,205

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Wed May 27, 2015 10:08 pm

Braves acquired 3B Juan Uribe and RHP Chris Withrow from the Dodgers for INF Alberto Callaspo, LHP Eric Stults, LHP Ian Thomas, and RHP Juan Jaime.
Uribe's decline has accelerated in his age-36 season and he's doubtful to take on significant fantasy relevance with a change of scenery. The veteran had hit just .247/.287/.309 with one home run and six RBI in 29 games for the Dodgers. Getting him out of Los Angeles allows Alex Guerrero to become an everyday player.

rotoworld.com
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Re: Braves, Dodgers announce six-player trade 

Post#2 » by ATL Boy » Wed May 27, 2015 10:52 pm

Withrow is what will make us the real winners of this trade. Uribe is better than Collaspo but both expire at the end of the year and Uribe is 36 now. And the pitchers we sent LA are scraps (Stulz is garbage, Jaime actually got demoted to AA, and Thomas wasn't good enough to get a bullpen spot even with how trash our pen is).

Withrow is the only long term player in this deal. He's just 26 years old and had a sparkling 2.60 ERA out of the Dodgers' bullpen last year. The reason they even included him is probably because he's coming off of Tommy John and back surgery, but he'll be healed up by the second half of the season. I don't expect him to be good right away off two major surgeries, but he'll be a valuable bullpen piece next year, and Uribe will be an upgrade at 3rd base this year.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#3 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Jun 2, 2015 5:03 am

We robbed them in this trade, Uribe has already provided more in the few games he's played with Braves then Callaspo did.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by ATL Boy » Tue Jun 2, 2015 6:01 am

Nemesis21 wrote:We robbed them in this trade, Uribe has already provided more in the few games he's played with Braves then Callaspo did.

Uribe's also done more for us in these past 6 games than the previous player who wore number 2 did in his Braves career :lol:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#5 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Jun 2, 2015 6:55 am

ATL Boy wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:We robbed them in this trade, Uribe has already provided more in the few games he's played with Braves then Callaspo did.

Uribe's also done more for us in these past 6 games than the previous player who wore number 2 did in his Braves career :lol:

BJ? yeah :lol:
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#6 » by Ruzious » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:21 am

Another trade with the Dodgers:

Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports has the outline of this still-developing trade ?

If completed, Dodgers get Wood, Latos, Johnson, Peraza, Morse. Braves get Olivera, Zach Bird, draft pick. Marlins get 3 low-level pitchers.

? Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) July 30, 2015

I'm not feelin this for the Braves. Olivera's good, but... why would they trade good young players for a 30 year old injured infielder? They've seemed to really want Olivera badly. They tried to sign him when he was available. I'm guessing LA must be paying a part of his salary. Bizarre. Dodgers are looking golden with this move.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by ATL Boy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:12 am

That trade is absolutely pitiful, the Braves would come out looking worse than Meek Mill if they did that. Thankfully there are some complications and it might fall through.

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Ruzious » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:49 pm

ATL Boy wrote:That trade is absolutely pitiful, the Braves would come out looking worse than Meek Mill if they did that. Thankfully there are some complications and it might fall through.

That's how I felt yesterday, but I'm having a change of heart. The Dodgers are paying about half of Olivera's contract - so the Braves are paying something like 6 mil a year for 5 years - which could be a huge bargain. This guy can rake, and the Braves lineup needs that to be watchable - even if it is from a 30 year old. And they did get 3 young pieces - a real good 24 year old lefty reliever from the Dodgers, a decent starting pitcher prospect (Dodgers 12th rated prospect), and the Marlins pick - which is 35th. It's not a great trade - but not as terrible as I thought.

Wood's a bigger loss than Peraza, imo. Because of his lack of punch, Peraza might not have figured in the Braves plans. Losing Wood hurts. I guess they figure they have so many young arms that they could afford to trade him.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by ATL Boy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Ruzious wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:That trade is absolutely pitiful, the Braves would come out looking worse than Meek Mill if they did that. Thankfully there are some complications and it might fall through.

That's how I felt yesterday, but I'm having a change of heart. The Dodgers are paying about half of Olivera's contract - so the Braves are paying something like 6 mil a year for 5 years - which could be a huge bargain. This guy can rake, and the Braves lineup needs that to be watchable - even if it is from a 30 year old. And they did get 3 young pieces - a real good 24 year old lefty reliever from the Dodgers, a decent starting pitcher prospect (Dodgers 12th rated prospect), and the Marlins pick - which is 35th. It's not a great trade - but not as terrible as I thought.

Wood's a bigger loss than Peraza, imo. Because of his lack of punch, Peraza might not have figured in the Braves plans. Losing Wood hurts. I guess they figure they have so many young arms that they could afford to trade him.

I still don't like it, but I'm not as mad as I was. Wood is losing velocity on his pitches, and Peraza is batting .295 in AAA (not good for a contact hitter). I think we should've at least asked for Puig.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#10 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:24 pm

I don't like this trade at all, and I don't like Hart anymore. I'm still sour on Kimbrel trade, me personally you don't trade a player like that.(I know, was to get rid of BJ) He's a big time closer, a rare closer type like the greats, Rivera, Hoffman, Wagner, Smith, Franco, Eckersley.
How does trading a pretty good young pitcher(with close to 2 yrs MLB exp) under the age of 25 and your #1 prospect(age 21) for a 30 yr old INF? This season is done, a little over 2 months left, this team isn't making the playoffs. Next season Olivera will be 31, at best you get 4 good seasons from him.
I definitely don't trade Wood and Peraza for that.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Ruzious » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:28 pm

ATL Boy wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

I still don't like it, but I'm not as mad as I was. Wood is losing velocity on his pitches, and Peraza is batting .295 in AAA (not good for a contact hitter). I think we should've at least asked for Puig.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Yeah, when I was scrambling to try to find who in the bleep Atlanta was getting, I was think please let it be Puig or Seager. I was trying to figure out is Seager could play 2nd base, lol. Well, there's still time to trade Teheran for Puig. :)
DirtybirdGA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,882

Post#12 » by DirtybirdGA » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:38 pm

If they didn't fail so much in the postseason back in the late 90's to early 00's, I could be ok with this rebuild. I feel sorry for the fans who had a connection with the players.
Where the offseason has more buzz happens.

Return to Atlanta Braves