ImageImageImage

Rip's elbow

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Ant
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#61 » by Ant » Thu May 29, 2008 12:57 pm

Moment of Clarity...

Not one person in this thread wouldn't want Rip on our team.

Case Closed.
Danny Ainge Owned me!
DieselCeltic
Banned User

Post#62 » by DieselCeltic » Thu May 29, 2008 1:02 pm

Ant wrote:Moment of Clarity...

Not one person in this thread wouldn't want Rip on our team.

Case Closed.

are you being sarcastic ? :crazy:
CelticsWhat!
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#63 » by CelticsWhat! » Thu May 29, 2008 1:25 pm

Did anyone notice right before the game Rip getting his arm rubbed down by the trainer? Was this just a re-aggravation of a previous injury, or was it more of him faking, like the eye incident. Anyone with half a brain knew what Rip was doing there. He figured that one of the refs might just do what they normally do when guys flop; give them the benefit of the doubt even if they don't actually see the foul. The Pistons needed some points and Rip is an excellent free throw shooter. Maybe he did get grazed in the eye, although it wasn't "obvious" as Mike Breen would like to think. But there was no reason for him to stop play and cower like he was shot in the face.
"If you drop a phonograph needle on Brasky's nipple, it plays the Beach Boys' 'Pet Sounds.'"
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,370

Post#64 » by Red2 » Thu May 29, 2008 1:27 pm

he is playing it up- the eye, the elbow the whole nine yards. he will be out there on friday doing his usual clutching and grabbing and running like a jack rabbit. He and Billups are crafty so I give them credit for that. Billups has the old Reggie move down where he kicks out his leg to draw a foul but Hamilton takes it to a whole other level. If the camera were to isolate on him for a game you would see him cluthching, grabbing, pushing, clawing on every possession. He also likes to throw the odd cheapshot whenever he can. we have to play physical but not get sucked into retaliating because against a team like this that is easy to do. I thought Doc's comments about Riley ball were right on but there was Van Gundy last night ( Riley's former assistant in NY) saying they never told their players to foul and acting all holy about it. What a croc! I like Van Gundy but anyone who watched those knick teams ( and Doc played for Riley) knows that Doc is right and that Detroit has decided they are going to foul us every time down the floor and take their chances. Last night they got called on it and their bigs got in trouble like they should have. Did we get a few calls? yeah but there were also at least 3 terrible calls against us including the goal tending on perk's shot that wasn't called, the breakaway by Garnett when Rondo was clearly even or in front of billups and the flagrant on Brown. I thought Pierce's foul on billups was equally hard and frankly neither one was a flagrant foul. Back to Hamilton: he is a faker, flopper ,whiner and cheap shot artist and oh yeah I'd love to have him on my team.
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
LongTimeFan
Analyst
And1: 292

Post#65 » by LongTimeFan » Thu May 29, 2008 1:29 pm

We may be inexperienced but I think this is evidence of Detroit's low basketball IQ. Rip's elbow is one of the most important pieces of anatomy on the Detroit Pistons. Have you seen Pierce with his shirt off? He's got an incredible upper body. The last thing the Pistons want to do is put Rip's elbow in constant opposition to Pierce's body.

Pierce took a knife stabbing that would kill most of us, and played basketball a couple months later. The refs may let Detroit grab him endlessly, the laws of physics will not.

I'll take Rondo's floating passes over a denial of Newton's laws of motion any time. Although Rondo's passes drive me absolutely crazy as I watch the game.
Prophet_C
Starter
And1: 99

Post#66 » by Prophet_C » Thu May 29, 2008 1:39 pm

RIP is beyond dirty. I'm waiting for him to pull an Artest on Pierce.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#67 » by sully00 » Thu May 29, 2008 1:45 pm

The only problem I have with Rip's play is that he is doing it for the other team. If Rip is dirty so is Bird, Jordan and every other great player in this league and frankly it is why Brent Barry didn't get the call the other night and Dirk can't get over the hump.

Posey uses the same tactics that Rip uses and we love him for it and everyone else hates him for it.

The thing that kills me is that the two offensive minded SG's who are buddies in the offseason are trying to kill each other, while the two big bad PF's known for their toughness and defense can barely stop tongue kissing long enough to play the game.

I love how everyone longs for the style of play and passion of the 80's and 90's but pisses all over what made it great. I would much rather be talking about a foul that wasn't called than a foul that was called that didn't happen.

I just hope that ESPN has the NBA finals. I don't know if Mark Jackson would make a good coach, but I think he should be made commisioner of the NBA he is one of the few that gets it.
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,243

Post#68 » by TheSheriff » Thu May 29, 2008 2:53 pm

If Ray was smart, he would pull a manu every time Rip elbows or grabs him: sending one of leagues best FT shooters to the line, but that isn't Ray's style. Rays plays the game straight up.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#69 » by celticfan42487 » Thu May 29, 2008 3:03 pm

Was Rips choke a dirty play, sure. Uncommon in final seconds, no. But if you want to call it dirty the sure.

Was Rips elbow dirty, yeah. Retalitory.

Was Rip faking an eye injury? Maybe, if he does lets let him fake 6 of them every game and waste all of DET's timeouts. There's no good reason for him to do so.

Was Rip faking an arm injury? Maybe, but if so great we can't stop him and he's DET's most consistent shooter. It also allows us time to calm down and set up our defense without a timeout and knowing that Rip will be out. Also about a minute before Rip knocked down a clutch three and the game before he killed us in the end to make game 4 a blowout. There's no good reason for him to fake that.

Just because a player makes one or two dirty plays doesn't make him a dirty player though. And Rip fights through screens to get open, every **** good player does. Ray Allen just looks worse then most defending them because he's softer then most wings in the NBA. If you don't think Pierce is fighting the same way through screens when he rolls, that he doesn't seek out Ratliff so he can create contact and get a foul, if Rondo and Posey and Sam don't flop calls, then you're just blind. What Rip does isn't done with the intention to injure people. It's done with the intention to get free and get off a shot.

He's not a dirty player.
m23uza1hem36
Starter

Post#70 » by m23uza1hem36 » Thu May 29, 2008 4:18 pm

You guys are noob bandwagon basketball fans,
someone actually showed the rules of the NBA,
hey buddy, it's the playoffs and not every foul is called, ask Brent Barry.

Man the **** up and understand you team is soft....

You guys are :crazy:

Thank-You to the others who understand he's doing what it takes to get a shot and help his team win.
P2
Banned User

Post#71 » by P2 » Thu May 29, 2008 5:31 pm

LongTimeFan wrote:Pierce took a knife stabbing that would kill most of us, and played basketball a couple months later.

He practiced three days later.
Celtic Esquire
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#72 » by Celtic Esquire » Thu May 29, 2008 5:39 pm

DorfonCeltics
Analyst
And1: 215

Post#73 » by DorfonCeltics » Thu May 29, 2008 5:45 pm

m23uza1hem36 wrote:
Man the **** up and understand you team is soft....

LOL, our "soft" team is about to eliminate your team so what does that make them?

Oh yeah, losers.

Go back to your own board troll.
Who-rod
Starter
And1: 254

Post#74 » by Who-rod » Thu May 29, 2008 6:13 pm

I don't pretend to be fair and balanced. I want the C's to win at all costs, and in that regard I am selfish. And I am going to admit the following, that I am both neither proud of, nor particularly ashamed of, at the same time:

1. I wanted Rip to get hurt
2. I think he is the dirtiest player in the league
3. I wish the commentators would have called out how her hurt his elbow... hello ray allen's neck
4. I hope his elbow is series/season ending
5. I hope his first shot of next game, someone drops hard a chop on his arm
6. I wish a second replay of his phantom eye swipe would have been shown...
7. I hate Rip Hamilton... there I said it
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,243

Post#75 » by TheSheriff » Thu May 29, 2008 9:12 pm

m23uza1hem36 wrote:You guys are noob bandwagon basketball fans,
someone actually showed the rules of the NBA,
hey buddy, it's the playoffs and not every foul is called, ask Brent Barry.

Bad example. The league already said a foul should called there. I was playing attention to that because i follow basketball and am not a bandwagon fan.
ICanOutreboundWalter
Rookie

Post#76 » by ICanOutreboundWalter » Thu May 29, 2008 9:21 pm

I got sick after reading the first 2 pages. I just hope Rip is ok. Sure a lot of stuff happens on the court but in the end these guys are just people like the rest of us. Very well paid people, but real people nonetheless.
Joselo16
Veteran
And1: 16

Post#77 » by Joselo16 » Thu May 29, 2008 10:29 pm

m23uza1hem36 wrote:
You guys are :crazy:

Thank-You to the others who understand he's doing what it takes to get a shot and help his team win.

How does elbowing KG and choking Ray (not even making an play for the rebound) get Rip a shot? It does help his team win, but by intentionally hurting the opposing player which is my definition of dirty!
You have just been Perk'd!!!
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#78 » by ermocrate » Thu May 29, 2008 10:52 pm

sully00 wrote:The only problem I have with Rip's play is that he is doing it for the other team. If Rip is dirty so is Bird, Jordan and every other great player in this league and frankly it is why Brent Barry didn't get the call the other night and Dirk can't get over the hump.

Posey uses the same tactics that Rip uses and we love him for it and everyone else hates him for it.
Why NBA players suffer in International Games, CHAPTER 2.

The Game is the Game and has his rules, FOULS NEED TO BE PUNISHED... When you rely on grabbing, pushing or even snatching to defend or attack better you loose the real spirit of the game and when the refrees wistle you'll suffer to play... Enjoy your small world, just don't call it Basketball but NBABall, just an hybrid between Basketball and Slamball...
"Negativity in this town sucks"
m23uza1hem36
Starter

Post#79 » by m23uza1hem36 » Thu May 29, 2008 11:06 pm

Joselo16 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

How does elbowing KG and choking Ray (not even making an play for the rebound) get Rip a shot? It does help his team win, but by intentionally hurting the opposing player which is my definition of dirty!

What does KG's "hard and solid" screens that can hurt a player like Lindsey Hunter last night called? It wasn't needed and yet done, is a dirty play, sure it is, but he was doing it to "help" his team right?
Oh BTW I saw no intention in him trying to hurt Ray Allen....
m23uza1hem36
Starter

Post#80 » by m23uza1hem36 » Thu May 29, 2008 11:07 pm

TheSheriff wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Bad example. The league already said a foul should called there. I was playing attention to that because i follow basketball and am not a bandwagon fan.

Yes, but it WASNT called and I follow the NBA and NFL and MLB. I'm not your casual fan.

Return to Boston Celtics