ImageImageImage

Why Do the Refs Get A Free Pass?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,582

Post#21 » by Infinite Llamas » Sat May 17, 2008 3:39 am

bove310 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It's actually pretty simple to predict the rest of the playoffs:

There will be 23 more games played this year. Two game 7's in the semi finals, 14 games combined in the conference finals and 7 more in the finals.

WCF: Lakers over Spurs in 7
ECF: Celtics over Pistons in 7
Finals: Lakers over Celtics in 7, our only home loss of the playoffs.

David Stern, you **** ****.

Took the words right out of my mouth. ABC has more money than the NBA could ever dream of...The refs are just pawns for a mightier corporation that is designed to rack in as much cash as possible. I've never really even been fond of conspiracies because I think most of them are puerile and trite, but there's some serious malarkey being played here. And Stern is nothing more than some titan corporations wet dream as he compromises the integrity of a timeless game just to play puppet for captivating capitalists.

And the PJ Brown over Powe thing didn't help at all.

Worst. Officiated. Game. Ever.
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
TommyPoints
Head Coach
And1: 4,146

Post#22 » by TommyPoints » Sat May 17, 2008 3:40 am

We're going to finish strong and win by double digits Sunday. Mark my words.
The Rondo Show
Analyst
And1: 327

Post#23 » by The Rondo Show » Sat May 17, 2008 3:40 am

I don't buy into the "David Stern is rigging the game/telling the refs who to favor" theories that many teams fans throw out there, but I absolutely believe that Donaghy wasn't the only ref betting on games and that many are still doing it.

Cleveland was a 3 point favorite tonight; just sayin'.

I also believe that many refs are pussies that are intimidated by the fans and give the home teams phantom calls just so they don't get booed by the fans/are cheered instead. Those types of refs need to be fired. Home cooking and an occasional call in favor of the home team is expected, but these playoffs have been ridiculous for the most part. The home teams are HEAVILY favored by the refs very often (there are a few cases of reasonable officiating where the home team doesn't get a ridiculous amount of favortism, but it's not frequent).
Athanacropolis
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#24 » by Athanacropolis » Sat May 17, 2008 3:41 am

CelticGamecock wrote:We're going to finish strong and win by double digits Sunday. Mark my words.

:clap: :clap: Hear hear!
Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#25 » by Banks2Pierce » Sat May 17, 2008 3:47 am

I didn't even think Bavetta was that bad tonight (Forte was worse), but the guy is 80 years old and still reffing...how can this happen??? I wouldn't trust an 80 year old guy to walk my dog, let alone ref a game with that much on the line. And Violet was reffing a first round playoff game. I am furious.
TommyPoints
Head Coach

Post#26 » by TommyPoints » Sat May 17, 2008 3:49 am

Utah is doing the refs you suck chant for us. lol
GreenGrizz
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#27 » by GreenGrizz » Sat May 17, 2008 3:52 am

80 years old???? It is surely making my mother feel lousy.
Infinite Llamas
General Manager

Post#28 » by Infinite Llamas » Sat May 17, 2008 3:53 am

The Rondo Show wrote:I don't buy into the "David Stern is rigging the game/telling the refs who to favor" theories that many teams fans throw out there, but I absolutely believe that Donaghy wasn't the only ref betting on games and that many are still doing it.

Cleveland was a 3 point favorite tonight; just sayin'.

I agree that many theories are offbase...but we do live in a society obsessed with capitalism, and it's no secret that more money is made for all when series are stretched out. It just seems curious that the series get stretched the year that the Lakers and Celtics are two dominant forces, unlike previous years. Coincedence? Possibly. Conspiracy theories often act as an excuse to mask a more overriding problem, but something is just off with the officiating. No ref with a conscience can call that charge on Paul Pierce with 48 seconds left without signing their name in red on the dotted line. Refs are a serious problem with this league and what is Stern obsessed with??? "Gosh, we need to turn the music down in these arenas and take away the sparkly lighty things." Truly, his senility is a coy masquerade for the shrewd, money-munching, superfluous sycophantic shell that truly represents him.
GreenGrizz
Analyst

Post#29 » by GreenGrizz » Sat May 17, 2008 3:55 am

AMEN
Infinite Llamas
General Manager

Post#30 » by Infinite Llamas » Sat May 17, 2008 3:57 am

Banks2Pierce wrote:I didn't even think Bavetta was that bad tonight (Forte was worse), but the guy is 80 years old and still reffing...how can this happen??? I wouldn't trust an 80 year old guy to walk my dog, let alone ref a game with that much on the line. And Violet was reffing a first round playoff game. I am furious.

You speak the truth...The NBA needs to wax and museum that old buzzard once and for all.

Good lord enough is enough. We'd seriously have better luck with Mr. Magoo officiating these games.
Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#31 » by Banks2Pierce » Sat May 17, 2008 3:57 am

Sorry guys. 68 years old.

And I agree that the refs should be on our side sunday, GameCock.

But it just pisses me off that we have to guess which side they are going to be on every game. They are making it obvious by siding with the home team in this second round.
TommyPoints
Head Coach

Post#32 » by TommyPoints » Sat May 17, 2008 3:58 am

I'm going to just watch games 1, 2, 5, and 7 in our next series.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,859

Post#33 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat May 17, 2008 4:03 am

There always has been very questionable officiating. Magic only made the junior, junior skyhook because the Celts missed a rebound on a missed free throw. It went out of bounds off of McHale, who went staggering out of bounds with arms flailing right after. He was OBVIOUSLY shoved. And that non-call completely changed the whole Finals.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
GreenGrizz
Analyst

Post#34 » by GreenGrizz » Sat May 17, 2008 4:03 am

Good advice, Gamecock
atang00
Banned User

Post#35 » by atang00 » Sat May 17, 2008 4:06 am

Good stuff Llamas.

How many high school refs, pick-up league refs, and some college refs are out there thinking the same thing.
GreenGrizz
Analyst

Post#36 » by GreenGrizz » Sat May 17, 2008 4:06 am

Wow, fence reregistered, just like the 1972 Clympic game when the Russian won the controlled game.
cavsfan_osiris
Starter
And1: 4

Post#37 » by cavsfan_osiris » Sat May 17, 2008 4:09 am

The officiating has been pretty bad this whole playoffs all around. Orlando and Washington suffered the most because of officiating. Washington wasn't going to win regardless, but Orlando would have had a chance to beat Detroit if their games were officiated correctly.
Al n' Perk No Layups!
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#38 » by Al n' Perk No Layups! » Sat May 17, 2008 4:12 am

GreenGrizz wrote:Wow, fence reregistered, just like the 1972 Clympic game when the Russian won the controlled game.

What? You mean that game was fixed?

Seriously, that was above and beyond the call of duty. Those refs are getting buried in the Kremlin wall when they die.
GreenGrizz
Analyst

Post#39 » by GreenGrizz » Sat May 17, 2008 4:14 am

yes
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,165

Post#40 » by chakdaddy » Sat May 17, 2008 4:34 am

I don't get the optimism. We're talking about home cooking - what, the same home cooking that got the Cavs 41 free throws in game 6???

No, all we have going for us is the fact that we've only played at all well at home in the playoffs; the actual home court advantage that comes with the crowd and the home setting. The refs and the possibility of a monster game from LeBron are the factors on the other side, and it will probably be a toss up like games 1 and 6.

Return to Boston Celtics