ImageImageImage

Refs don't give the hawks 50 fts, they lose by 40

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#21 » by MyInsatiableOne » Mon May 5, 2008 1:11 pm

SonicYouth34 wrote:Just imagine how many calls LBJ is gonna get, Pierce is gonna foul out every game

By halftime!
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 14,001

Post#22 » by jfs1000d » Mon May 5, 2008 2:34 pm

This is ridiculous. Poor series by the ref, but the Hawks got some serious home cooking in atlanta. The only game I felt they outplayed the celtics was game 3.Games 4 and 6 were jokes from the refs, especially game 6.

Celtics had 10 point leads in six of the games. SIX games they had at least a 10 point lead.

The 4 celtics wins were by 19, 22, 25 and 34. In games 4 and 6, the Hawks had an ungodly amount of free throws that kept them in the game.

It's the most lopsided,least competitive 7 game series I ever saw. Was there a moment that anyone felt the celts weren't going to win the series?

That was one of the worst game 7 performances I have ever seen. The Hawks were embarrassed.

We'll see what happens, but this series was an anomaly. If celts struggle against the cavs and lose, then maybe i think of the hawks differently.But, if celts cruise i will dismiss this series as a quirk.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#23 » by MyInsatiableOne » Mon May 5, 2008 2:45 pm

jfs1000d wrote:This is ridiculous. Poor series by the ref, but the Hawks got some serious home cooking in atlanta. The only game I felt they outplayed the celtics was game 3.Games 4 and 6 were jokes from the refs, especially game 6.

Celtics had 10 point leads in six of the games. SIX games they had at least a 10 point lead.

The 4 celtics wins were by 19, 22, 25 and 34. In games 4 and 6, the Hawks had an ungodly amount of free throws that kept them in the game.

It's the most lopsided,least competitive 7 game series I ever saw. Was there a moment that anyone felt the celts weren't going to win the series?

That was one of the worst game 7 performances I have ever seen. The Hawks were embarrassed.

We'll see what happens, but this series was an anomaly. If celts struggle against the cavs and lose, then maybe i think of the hawks differently.But, if celts cruise i will dismiss this series as a quirk.

^^FTW!
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
BobbySura
Bench Warmer
And1: 333

Post#24 » by BobbySura » Mon May 5, 2008 3:01 pm

47 free throws in one game

that's all that needs to be said
CatNation
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#25 » by CatNation » Mon May 5, 2008 3:16 pm

yeah, that the celtics are too damn old to defend a quick young aggressive team. good thing there arent any more of these kinds of teams, until they lose to nawlins
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 14,001

Post#26 » by jfs1000d » Mon May 5, 2008 3:28 pm

Never too old to defend.They couldn't handle atlanta 1-on-1, but just because there is contact doesn't mean that it is a foul.

Contact is part of the game. The way the refs called the game whenever Atlanta drove they called a touch foul. That caused a huge free throw disparity.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#27 » by MyInsatiableOne » Mon May 5, 2008 3:42 pm

^^Yep.

A LOT of people forget that basketball *is* a contact sport. Not *full* contact like football, but contact nonetheless.
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
vext
Ballboy

Post#28 » by vext » Mon May 5, 2008 5:01 pm

That is a lot of free throws for a game, but it also helps that the Hawks were attacking the rim while Boston turned into a jump shooting team in those games. Boston did the same thing to the Hawks when they were in Boston. I would have to look up the stats, but I am guessing that you guys killed us in the paint in Boston and we probably beat you in the paint in Atlanta. As for game 7, the refs weren't calling much of anything for either team. That ended up helping you guys quite a bit on the defensive end. I wish we were as physical and aggressive on defensive as Boston was. That just comes down to experience versus youth. It was an exciting series all around. It shouldn't have gone 7 games (5 is more realistic), but it was nice for a moment to think that maybe an upset would occur. Good luck in the rest of the playoffs guys.

Oh, and yeah, if you think the calls were bad (which seriously every fan does) just wait for Lebron and his antics. I like the guy, but sometimes he drives me nuts with his post foul acting. Every time there is a small touch foul he gets up acting like he may never walk again. I think the refs are going to make it difficult for you guys to defend him in the same manner as you defended JJ. JJ historically gets no calls. The playoff games in Atlanta were probably the first time that I have seen him get an 'all-star' call.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by conleyorbust » Mon May 5, 2008 6:51 pm

I think the Celtics fans are right. The Celtics should ALWAYS have as many free throws as their opponents regardless of the fact that the Celtic's best player takes fadeaways (and often makes them) instead of attacking the rim.

The fact that no outside observers agree with you is just proof that they are nothing but jealous haters.

This series was further proof that David Stern will do ANYTHING to sabotage one of the league's most historic and most recognizable franchises and decrease exposure to some of it's more marketable stars.
JoshB914
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#30 » by JoshB914 » Mon May 5, 2008 6:57 pm

conleyorbust wrote:I think the Celtics fans are right. The Celtics should ALWAYS have as many free throws as their opponents regardless of the fact that the Celtic's best player takes fadeaways (and often makes them) instead of attacking the rim.

The fact that no outside observers agree with you is just proof that they are nothing but jealous haters.

This series was further proof that David Stern will do ANYTHING to sabotage one of the league's most historic and most recognizable franchises and decrease exposure to some of it's more marketable stars.

You didn't know that already?
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#31 » by MyInsatiableOne » Mon May 5, 2008 6:57 pm

vext wrote:That is a lot of free throws for a game, but it also helps that the Hawks were attacking the rim while Boston turned into a jump shooting team in those games. Boston did the same thing to the Hawks when they were in Boston. I would have to look up the stats, but I am guessing that you guys killed us in the paint in Boston and we probably beat you in the paint in Atlanta. As for game 7, the refs weren't calling much of anything for either team. That ended up helping you guys quite a bit on the defensive end. I wish we were as physical and aggressive on defensive as Boston was. That just comes down to experience versus youth. It was an exciting series all around. It shouldn't have gone 7 games (5 is more realistic), but it was nice for a moment to think that maybe an upset would occur. Good luck in the rest of the playoffs guys.

Oh, and yeah, if you think the calls were bad (which seriously every fan does) just wait for Lebron and his antics. I like the guy, but sometimes he drives me nuts with his post foul acting. Every time there is a small touch foul he gets up acting like he may never walk again. I think the refs are going to make it difficult for you guys to defend him in the same manner as you defended JJ. JJ historically gets no calls. The playoff games in Atlanta were probably the first time that I have seen him get an 'all-star' call.

It's funny that everyone either on here or in real life has been saying that the MINUTE game 7 ended. :rofl: :rofl:

Honestly, I feel the C's BECAME a jump-shooting team in Atlanta because they got tired of being mugged in the post and not getting any calls. The refs took their gameplan away and they adjusted, not in a good way.
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
armageddon
Rookie

Post#32 » by armageddon » Mon May 5, 2008 7:16 pm

Its not the number of free throws its the type of calls. The refs were allowing all body contact on jumpers in the paint and on layups which coincidentally helped the Hawks and were calling all the touch and reach in fouls, and calling blocks when it was obviously a charge which coincidentally hurt the Celtics. It took Rivers 6 games to adapt to this.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#33 » by MyInsatiableOne » Mon May 5, 2008 7:53 pm

^^The thing is you shouldn't HAVE to adapt the refs...they should call the game fairly and straight-up. THAT'S what's so damn frustrating! :banghead:
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,983

Post#34 » by sam_I_am » Tue May 6, 2008 2:08 pm

This may be the very best thread of the last 5 years. It pretty much sums up what is wrong with NBA officiating and David Sterns manipulation of NBA.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#35 » by MyInsatiableOne » Tue May 6, 2008 2:33 pm

^^That's the thing. Do I sometimes complain about the reffing when I watch the Pats or the umping when I watch the Sox? Sure, but not nearly AS MUCH AS OFTEN. And the goofs usually aren't egregious enough to affect the outcomes.

The fact that casual and hardcore fans ALIKE have these doubts about the NBA should worry Stern very much...
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#36 » by Rocky5000 » Tue May 6, 2008 2:39 pm

After game 6, someone posted that Atlanta had a huge advantage in FTs for the series, but Boston had an advantage of 20-something points in the paint for the series. So I don't think it was that the celtics were shooting too many jumpers, although they did shoot more 3s. I guess you could say they shot their jumpers further from the basket than Atlanta, but they did win the battle inside for the series.
armageddon
Rookie

Post#37 » by armageddon » Tue May 6, 2008 3:56 pm

Its hard to say who won the inside battle. Most of Atlanta's free throws were from getting fouled in the paint - its still 2 points. Just from watching, each team won down low at home.
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#38 » by Rocky5000 » Tue May 6, 2008 5:40 pm

About the aggressiveness of both teams. Atlanta got fouled 13% of the time during the regular season, but boston was right behind with 12%. ( The least aggressive teams in getting to the line were NO, and TOR with 9%.) Defensively Boston fouled 13% of the time, and Atlanta fouled 12%. So we should have seen a 1%-2% advantage in FTs for Atlanta if the averages had held up...

Boston only allowed teams to get 29% of their shots in the paint, best in the league, but ATL allowed 38% of the shots in the paint, worst in the league. Offensively, Atlanta attempted 37% of their shots in the paint, and Boston 34%.

http://82games.com/FGTEAM11.HTM

Return to Boston Celtics