ImageImageImage

Pierce fined for menacing gesture

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#61 » by greenbeans » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:57 pm

Celtics_Champs wrote:The league can't be that ignorant, can they?

oh we both know the answer to that
Bigmiketruth
Starter
And1: 3

Post#62 » by Bigmiketruth » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:57 pm

FakeScreenName123 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

partially. dude got right up and didnt even show him the respect to face him when he threw the sign.

but partially cos thats what the exact sign is.... why else would he be fined? why? what other meaning would deserve that? why?

"thats what the exact sign is"

hardly. You've already seen 2-3 other things that doing that could mean, all of which could fit in the context of what happened. The possibility of it being a gang sign is what got Pierce fined, not the actuality of it. I'm only annoyed that you and others are acting like it was the latter.

As for Horford, thats just what makes it worse. Pierce came nowhere near Horford. You want to talk about menacing? how about when horford made a shot, started to jog back then turned around and moved swiftly towards pierce while shouting and swinging his arm. Because honestly, thats far worse. What pierce did was keeping his composure. Outside of pro ball thats a fight or a retaliation on the other end that would lead to a fight.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#63 » by greenbeans » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:59 pm

seriously, how many times did damon jones do that the last 5 years?? nobody insinuated it was a blood sign then.
BrokenLeftyJumper
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#64 » by BrokenLeftyJumper » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:09 am

I don't think it was a Boston sign. Paul probably doesn't frequent Dorchester to often so I can't imagine he would be throwin up that sign to represent Boston.
GreenGrizz
Analyst

Post#65 » by GreenGrizz » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:13 am

My deaf friend got fired from his job for using sign language. His former employer said it is the same thing with trash talk. NBA should look into it carefully.
Shade
Sophomore

Post#66 » by Shade » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:16 am

What needs to be understood is the relevance of using the sign in a particular way.

Obviously, when some players hit a three pointer, they throw it to signify "three points."

What relevance would Pierce have had to throw the sign when he did? Was it to mean "3 points?" Of course not, as that wouldn't make any sense. To signify "I'm from Boston and wear Adidas and listen to rap?" Again, it makes no sense in that context. Pierce was obviously pissed at Horford and made a gesture that was intended to send a message to Horford.

It's just common sense.
GreenGrizz
Analyst

Post#67 » by GreenGrizz » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:18 am

The baseball umpire signs were invented by a deaf player.
GreenGrizz
Analyst

Post#68 » by GreenGrizz » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:21 am

I just showed Pierce's picture to my friends. They said it doesn't look threatening that kind of expression.
GreenOkie
Freshman

Post#69 » by GreenOkie » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:22 am

well i sure hope that Stephen Jackson got fined for getting the damn thing tattooed on his body, (left near waist line) http://www.sportsbonehead.com/wp-conten ... ackson.jpg
O.C Brandon
Banned User

Post#70 » by O.C Brandon » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:30 am

greenbeans wrote:wow. . what a joke. the league obviously has NO idea what is going on. would they fine a hawks player for throwin up the A. . or any player reppin his city?? its the same as poppin your jersey.

this is Boston, we throw the 3s round here.

check the avvy

The "B" wasn't for Boston, it was for Bloods, Pierce is from L.A

I thought it was a bit much when I saw him do it, you can't throw up gang signs.
Bigmiketruth
Starter

Post#71 » by Bigmiketruth » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:31 am

TNT commentators said Pierce plans on challenging it. Not scared of future fines apparently since he just threw it up again.
Bigmiketruth
Starter

Post#72 » by Bigmiketruth » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:34 am

Shade wrote:What needs to be understood is the relevance of using the sign in a particular way.

Obviously, when some players hit a three pointer, they throw it to signify "three points."

What relevance would Pierce have had to throw the sign when he did? Was it to mean "3 points?" Of course not, as that wouldn't make any sense. To signify "I'm from Boston and wear Adidas and listen to rap?" Again, it makes no sense in that context. Pierce was obviously pissed at Horford and made a gesture that was intended to send a message to Horford.

It's just common sense.

And what sense would it make to throw a gang sign in that situation? Theres holes just as big in the logic that its a gang sign. Either way he's challenging it so there it is.
Datruth345
Assistant Coach
And1: 441

Post#73 » by Datruth345 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:42 am

realgm amazes me sometimes
"...That, Mr. James, is etched in stone.” - Bill Russell
HeelSox
Bench Warmer

Post#74 » by HeelSox » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:44 am

Like this?
"The guy is an idiot," Pedroia said regarding Cabrera. "I dropped my bat. It kind of freaked me out. I was upset they took him out of the game. He is good to hit. He's 9-15. The guy [stinks]."
Al n' Perk No Layups!
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#75 » by Al n' Perk No Layups! » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:29 am

Celtics_Champs wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

What the **** is that? Your trying to prove a point, yet when I click on the link it sends me to the gay Rick Ashley video???

You just got RICK ROLLED!
Bucs80
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#76 » by Bucs80 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:16 am

It depends on how you want to look at it; it could very will be a sign for boston or a gang sign, but I might have to pick the latter for a few reasons:

1. PP is not from boston, i doubt he spends most of his offseason in boston and i don't think he spends time seaching for local signs of boston, therefore; i doubt he knows what a sign would mean. I have spent most of my life in mass and have never sign such a sign.

2. I would have to agree with the other poster, I don't think the league would just fine the guy for sticking his fingers in the air, if they did everybody would be fined then, which tells me their might be some meaning behind the sign.

3. Lastly and the most convincing evidence is were all the signs has been seen. The avater of the rap group using the sign they were all wearing red, signture of the bloods. The same sign is even tatooed on Stephen Jackson's stomach as pictured by another poster who made it clear in a youtube clip that he was a blood. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn6iIQvsY2w (min 1:13).

I could be wrong, PP might know all the local signs, the league might have miss interpered the sign, and it might be a possibility that the blood sign and the boston are identical. If i am right this does not change my opinion of paul what so ever, it doesn't affect my life and he does help his commmiunty in boston and in oakland.
Cep
Assistant Coach

Post#77 » by Cep » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:21 am

Paul Pierce sits at home, reads with his glasses on, and eats oreos with flip flops my grandfather would wear in his spare time. If not, then he acted pretty well in the last interview I saw with him on Dime Mag. I couldn't see him being in a gang at all. But eh, you never know.
anorexorcism
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#78 » by anorexorcism » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:42 am

Bigmiketruth wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

And what sense would it make to throw a gang sign in that situation? Theres holes just as big in the logic that its a gang sign. Either way he's challenging it so there it is.

What sense? He felt dissed, and his manhood was insulted, so he basically took it a step further--threatening Horford by throwing up a gang sign.

"Keep talking ****, and Piru is gonna take care of you off the court" is essentially what it boils down to for me. You can laugh that off all you want, but it's pretty serious. He deserves the $25K for essentially verbally threatening Horford with violence, and not just the kind that you see on the court.

To make light out of this though, I love the supposed report that at the end of Game 2, Pierce bet Horford 10K they were gonna "sweep your asses." Horford responded with a quote saying "My heart don't flow with Kool Aid" or something to that effect. Apparently what he said in Game 3 was to close this tete-a-tete out, "**** you Pay me! Don't take checks your ass can't cash!"

Well, Horford didn't get paid, but Pierce is sure as hell not just $10K poorer...he's 2 and a half times that. Thanks for reminding me why I've never forgotten how trashy you are, PP, even this year when your class act teammates overshadowed you and managed to cover up for your pathetic ways.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#79 » by campybatman » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:04 am

If you watch the first quarter of game two, you can see House make the gesture to Rondo who in turn gives the gesture back to him as he walks to the bench at a time out. It's clearly an inside thing between the teammates. I believe they're making the letter B with their fingers and thumb. Pierce was throwing up the B sign to Atlanta. That's all I feel it's and all I see it as being. If not, then I don't know but I know that Pierce isn't the only Celtic who does it.
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Post#80 » by sh00n » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:13 am

Darth Celtic wrote:what shows u the nba is out for the celtics, and always will be until stern is out of office, is that Horford did not get a tech, or a fine, or anything for what he did.

Perk gets techs for staring at a guy, not talking, not moving.

Yet he can jump up and down pointing and screaming while running right at pierce, and nothing.

Would not have affected that game at all, we had loss, but it would have let him know u can't do it, now the c's will retaliate, and somebody will get a t for us, or an ejection. Just plain old poor officiating and pathetic, pathetic leadership by the nba commish.

Out for the Celtics? Please. The NBA wants a Celtics-Lakers finals bro, stop being delusional. The Hawks are just playing solid basketball right now and you guys are getting upset that it's more competitive than you thought it would be.

Return to Boston Celtics