ImageImageImage

Celtics vs Spurs Gamethread - Sunday, February 10th

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Kaykoose
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,411

Post#221 » by Kaykoose » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:43 pm

True. I think Bowen is slightly overrated as a defender anyway, only because Artest is better, but doesn't get that credit.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#222 » by Spin Move » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:04 pm

DatBoyWonder wrote:True. I think Bowen is slightly overrated as a defender anyway, only because Artest is better, but doesn't get that credit.

He is still a darn good defender, this discussion is going on in the cigar thread, if pierce had only scored 25 you could have a good argument that babys D was more important then His combined D and O (and remember Pierce played very good D and had some key steals as well) was more valauable, but not when pierce puts up 35 and no one else scores 20 and only 1 other player had more then 12 points. He did it against one of the 5 best wing defenders in the league. Baby did a very good job dont get me wrong, but he doesnt get extra points for being undersized.
nasbahceltic
Rookie
And1: 80

Post#223 » by nasbahceltic » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:07 pm

Its now official we own the Spurs!
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,321

Post#224 » by TheMartian » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:18 pm

Just curious, I didn't get to catch the game, but did the C's "play their hearts out" while the Spurs "cruised" in this game? I'm just asking because some Spurs fans on their board say they're not scared of us because we barely beat them even though they just "cruised" in this game.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,144

Post#225 » by SuperDeluxe » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:22 pm

mzepol wrote:Just curious, I didn't get to catch the game, but did the C's "play their hearts out" while the Spurs "cruised" in this game? I'm just asking because some Spurs fans on their board say they're not scared of us because we barely beat them even though they just "cruised" in this game.

And why would the Spurs "cruise" against the team with the league's best record? Not challenging enough?
nasbahceltic
Rookie
And1: 80

Post#226 » by nasbahceltic » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:33 pm

mzepol wrote:Just curious, I didn't get to catch the game, but did the C's "play their hearts out" while the Spurs "cruised" in this game? I'm just asking because some Spurs fans on their board say they're not scared of us because we barely beat them even though they just "cruised" in this game.

Cop-out. They got beat by a team without one player over 6-8. I think they overgeneralize Big Baby's exuberance as the team "playing their hearts out", given that Baby was the only one expressing enough emotion for them to get that idea. If they only watched us play once in a while they would know that, thats Baby's MO regardless of who we're playing or what the score is.
CTCeltsFan34
Junior
And1: 249

Post#227 » by CTCeltsFan34 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:35 pm

LOL, yea from the Spurs game thread:

"Lack of energy cost us the game. Once again we cruised through the game and tried to switch it on in the last 5 mins. We still didn't try hard enough and didn't deserve to win. Where was our rebounding hussle? Just poor effort.

Boston don't really scare me at all though based on today. Boston played out of their skins on D to beat us while we just coasted and barely lost.

Of course I'd rather see them with KG and us with Parker and barry. Let's hope we get to see both teams at full strength next time."
Look at those Bobcats......There laying on the floor!!!...Improbable
Rocky5000
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#228 » by Rocky5000 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:37 pm

I don't watch many Spurs games, so it's hard to tell when they're cruising. But if cruising is equal to being out hustled, I'd agree. We were very active on the defensive end and everyone was playing hard on both ends of the floor. San Antonio just didn't have the same intensity. It was clear that the Cs wanted the win more.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,144

Post#229 » by SuperDeluxe » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:41 pm

And by the way, if your team is "cruising" you have a huge problem.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#230 » by Spin Move » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:44 pm

Its an even numbered year the spurs have no chance
Kaykoose
Bench Warmer

Post#231 » by Kaykoose » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:44 pm

Spin Move wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

He is still a darn good defender, this discussion is going on in the cigar thread, if pierce had only scored 25 you could have a good argument that babys D was more important then His combined D and O (and remember Pierce played very good D and had some key steals as well) was more valauable, but not when pierce puts up 35 and no one else scores 20 and only 1 other player had more then 12 points. He did it against one of the 5 best wing defenders in the league. Baby did a very good job dont get me wrong, but he doesnt get extra points for being undersized.

Maybe I am reading too much into it, but why are you making it out to seem like I am undervaluing what Pierce did? I love Pierce just as much as the next homer. I'm just happy that Davis was able to not let Duncan get too deep on the block, as well as put in some key baskets and pull down key boards. And yes, being undersized does give him extra points. Duncan is 7 ft and one of the greatest PFs the league has seen, while Davis is barely as tall as Pierce. Paul will get many Cigars (he already leads), so its just more reason to go with Baby on this one.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#232 » by ParticleMan » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:47 pm

LMAO, if they thought we were overly emotional now, just wait till they see us with KG in the lineup!
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#233 » by Spin Move » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:57 pm

DatBoyWonder wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Maybe I am reading too much into it, but why are you making it out to seem like I am undervaluing what Pierce did? I love Pierce just as much as the next homer. I'm just happy that Davis was able to not let Duncan get too deep on the block, as well as put in some key baskets and pull down key boards. And yes, being undersized does give him extra points. Duncan is 7 ft and one of the greatest PFs the league has seen, while Davis is barely as tall as Pierce. Paul will get many Cigars (he already leads), so its just more reason to go with Baby on this one.

Well you responded to someone saying we won the game becuase of pierce with a "no" we won becuase of babys D, and I am disagreeing with you, It is nothing personal I am disagreeing with a statement you made, I think pierce's combined scoring and D has more value thein Davis's D. When Paul is spectaculer like he was today I give him credit, baby was very good and was definitly the mvp of the pistons game earlier this season, I am just stating I belive pierce's play was more important as I stated before, if baby didnt play does duncan really score much more then 30, not most likley and he scored 22 and grabed 12+ boards anyway, while pierce scored 35 over one of the 5 best wing defenders in the league and himself was key on defense helping baby many times as well as playing solid D on his own man. I really like baby and he played a great game today, but in my opinion you are undervaluaing pierce's contribution today.
Kaykoose
Bench Warmer

Post#234 » by Kaykoose » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:28 am

Well the voting so far is in favor of Baby, so I know I have people on my side :)
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#235 » by Spin Move » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:21 am

DatBoyWonder wrote:Well the voting so far is in favor of Baby, so I know I have people on my side :)

check again ;)

I think Big baby has a great personality and hustles really hard which makes him really appealing to fans, but I think as a whole this board tends to sometimes overstate the heroics of our role players at time. Baby did good don't get me wrong but, lots of people played good D inclduing Pierce and Powe tonight.
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,321

Post#236 » by TheMartian » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:53 am

ParticleMan wrote:LMAO, if they thought we were overly emotional now, just wait till they see us with KG in the lineup!

My thoughts exactly. I don't think we've seen the "playoff intensity" version of the Celtics yet. If they think the C's are intense now, wait till the playoffs start.
Scalamental
Sixth Man
And1: 146

Post#237 » by Scalamental » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:20 am

Scalamental wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

negative.

called it
Joyeuse
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#238 » by Joyeuse » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:59 am

So what does everyone think the next "test" that people can use to claim the Celtics haven't shown anything yet? Haven't proven they can beat the Spurs on the road? Haven't shown they can win with more than three starters injured? Haven't won a championship in the first half of the season?
wayupnorth
Junior
And1: 7

Post#239 » by wayupnorth » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:33 am

Oh boy, did my week get a great kick-start or what! i just finished watching the game (hadn't checked the outcome beforehand) and now I'm pumped. Getting these wins w/o KG has been great and as much it pisses KG off to be missing the action I'm sure he's happy to see the team adjust to his absence.
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#240 » by HarlemHeat37 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:40 pm

I'm not scared of your team neither..

it's not disrespect, I just don't believe anyone should be scared of another team..that just admits your team isn't good enough..you should believe you could beat any team, if the teams are at a similar level..

the C's are the best team in the NBA IMO, so I'm showing your team the love..but scared isn't a good word to use, because I believe we can beat you in a series..it isn't like we're going to say "I don't wanna play Boston, because we can't beat them"..

I wouldn't say we were "cruising", we were just playing Spurs basketball..it's also tough when it's the 7th game on the same road trip, obviously..and without our 2nd best player and top 3-point shooter(not an excuse, I realize you guys were without one of the best players in the NBA..it's more of an excuse as to why our team hasn't been as good as we were in November and December)..

so I definitely respect the Celtics, as do the other Spurs fans..not being scared isn't disrespect..your team CLEARLY outhustled us from the beginning to the end..Boston deserved the win, and I'd rather see you guys win a title than LA, Phoenix, Detroit or Dallas..

Return to Boston Celtics