ImageImageImage

Celtics Trivia Game (2024)

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Berkcelt
Bench Warmer
And1: 332

Re: Celtics Trivia Game 

Post#61 » by Berkcelt » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:53 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
Berkcelt wrote:Cooz and Tommy were the first and second presidents of the players union...perhaps?

We have bingo!!

All right! Thought I had it, wasn't 100% sure.

I was going to go with the most points in a quarter/Todd Day question but I was beat to the punch. So how about...with which player did Red Auerbach pioneer the Sixth Man concept? That is, who was the first Sixth Man?
gammajamma
Junior
And1: 257

Post#62 » by gammajamma » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:00 pm

Berkcelt wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:
Berkcelt wrote:Cooz and Tommy were the first and second presidents of the players union...perhaps?

We have bingo!!

All right! Thought I had it, wasn't 100% sure.

I was going to go with the most points in a quarter/Todd Day question but I was beat to the punch. So how about...with which player did Red Auerbach pioneer the Sixth Man concept? That is, who was the first Sixth Man?

HONDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Tenbomber
Banned User
And1: 989

Post#63 » by Tenbomber » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Berkcelt wrote:..with which player did Red Auerbach pioneer the Sixth Man concept? That is, who was the first Sixth Man?

Frank Ramsey....in the late 50's and early 60s
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,095

Post#64 » by Ed Pinkney » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:11 pm

truth18 wrote:
Ed Pinkney wrote:
KGboss wrote:I know that one and you should rephrase the question to most points in the pre 3 point line NBA. Klay Thompson just broke the record this year scoring 37 points but the original was 33. I can't think of his name right now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using RealGM Forums mobile app

As it is a Celtics Trivia thread, I was meaning who has the Celtics record for most points in a quarter not the NBA record.

gammajamma wrote:
Was it that schmuck Todd Day?

Winner!

What? Didn't I win as well. The answer is Bird. I guess Todd Day tied him, but Bird is still a correct answer.

Sorry, I just checked and they are tied on 24 points in a quarter. For some reason I thought Day had beaten Larry's record which was why people were not that impressed as he was such a dick.

Just out of interest, did you know that the record for most points in an overtime is 15 by none other than Delonte West? Most teams don't score 15 in an overtime, Delonte must have been feeling pretty good the last five minutes of that game!
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,567

Post#65 » by canman1971 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:55 pm

Heinsohn Truth wrote:
canman1971 wrote:
Heinsohn Truth wrote:What did Red Auerbach's brother contribute to the organization that remains today?

The mascot or emblem.

Right on! Zang Auerbach.

What is the name of the restaurant Red would entertain people in Washington D.C. for many years?
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,211

Post#66 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:27 am

I can think of two cases in which 3 Celtics teammates had been teammates on the same NCAA championship squad.
I can think of two other cases in which 2 Celtics teammates had been teammates on the same NCAA championship squad.
Perhaps there are even more. :)
Please list the examples that you can, and check them online.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
gammajamma
Junior

Post#67 » by gammajamma » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:49 am

canman1971 wrote:
Heinsohn Truth wrote:
canman1971 wrote:

The mascot or emblem.

Right on! Zang Auerbach.

What is the name of the restaurant Red would entertain people in Washington D.C. for many years?

The China Doll, Reading about his lunches there were my favorite parts to read about in Let Me Tell You a Story.
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Re: Re: Celtics Trivia Game 

Post#68 » by KGboss » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:53 am

Ed Pinkney wrote:
KGboss wrote:I know that one and you should rephrase the question to most points in the pre 3 point line NBA. Klay Thompson just broke the record this year scoring 37 points but the original was 33. I can't think of his name right now.

As it is a Celtics Trivia thread, I was meaning who has the Celtics record for most points in a quarter not the NBA record.

gammajamma wrote:
Ed Pinkney wrote:

OK, who holds the record for most points in a quarter? A little hint, very unlikely to be a player fondly remembered by any Celtic fan.

Was it that schmuck Todd Day?

Winner!
yup you're right. I made the thread and forgot haha. Sorry about that.

chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,191

Post#69 » by chakdaddy » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:37 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:I can think of two cases in which 3 Celtics teammates had been teammates on the same NCAA championship squad.
I can think of two other cases in which 2 Celtics teammates had been teammates on the same NCAA championship squad.

Gotta be Antoine / Mercer / Waltah. I guess Mercer was gone by the time Delk was acquired. Maybe those are the 2 cases.

I can't think of many other NCAA champs we've had. I don't think we had any of Tyus Edney's teammates.

Oh of course Russell and KC qualify.
gammajamma
Junior

Post#70 » by gammajamma » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:59 am

What stand up comedian cowrote Celtic Pride with Judd Apatow?
radcot
General Manager
And1: 11,466

Post#71 » by radcot » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:21 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:I can think of two cases in which 3 Celtics teammates had been teammates on the same NCAA championship squad.

Another case: John Havlicek and Larry Siegrfried on 1960 Ohio State U. championship team (along with Jerry Lucas and Bobby Knight).

Just thought of one more: Sidney Wicks and Curtis Rowe on 1970 UCLA championship team (Walton was a freshman that year, but I don't think he played on the varsity squad until the next year. He also didn't play for the Celtics until long after Wicks & Rowe had departed.)
Berkcelt
Bench Warmer

Post#72 » by Berkcelt » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:47 pm

Tenbomber wrote:
Berkcelt wrote:..with which player did Red Auerbach pioneer the Sixth Man concept? That is, who was the first Sixth Man?

You sir are of course correct. I think it might have been last season Tommy and Mike did an in-game interview with Ramsey.

Hondo was the next great sixth man. Not sure if there was anyone filling the role in between though...
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#73 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:23 pm

chakdaddy wrote:

Gotta be Antoine / Mercer / Waltah. I guess Mercer was gone by the time Delk was acquired. Maybe those are the 2 cases.

Oh of course Russell and KC qualify.

Congrats. Those are most of the ones I was thinking of.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#74 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:25 pm

radcot wrote:Just thought of one more: Sidney Wicks and Curtis Rowe on 1970 UCLA championship team (Walton was a freshman that year, but I don't think he played on the varsity squad until the next year. He also didn't play for the Celtics until long after Wicks & Rowe had departed.)

That's another case I was thinking of. Easy for me because I grew up in LA and went to UCLA from 1972-4. :)

radcot wrote:Another case: John Havlicek and Larry Siegrfried on 1960 Ohio State U. championship team

That's one I didn't know. :)
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#75 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:29 pm

I looked it up, and there are six former Celtics players who were NBA coach of the year. 5 should be pretty easy to guess, due to recency or obviousness as the case may be. I wouldn't have gotten the 6th, however, without some incorrect guesses first.

Who were they?

Please note that I'm asking about former players. Red Auerbach, for example, is NOT an answer.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#76 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:37 pm

Berkcelt wrote:
Tenbomber wrote:

You sir are of course correct. I think it might have been last season Tommy and Mike did an in-game interview with Ramsey.

Hondo was the next great sixth man. Not sure if there was anyone filling the role in between though...

Not in a formal way that I know of. I'd say the next great Celtics Sixth Man was McHale, and after him for one season Walton. After that I think it gets down to the Rodney Rogers level.
radcot
General Manager
And1: 11,466

Post#77 » by radcot » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:17 pm

Paul Silas was often the sixth man on the '70s championship teams. James Posey played the role pretty well for the 2008 team.
Berkcelt
Bench Warmer

Post#78 » by Berkcelt » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:21 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:I looked it up, and there are six former Celtics players who were NBA coach of the year. 5 should be pretty easy to guess, due to recency or obviousness as the case may be. I wouldn't have gotten the 6th, however, without some incorrect guesses first.

Who were they?

Please note that I'm asking about former players. Red Auerbach, for example, is NOT an answer.

This was my guess:

Larry Bird
Rick Carlisle
Bill Sharman
Tom Heinsohn
KC Jones
Don Chaney

(I looked up the answer...doh. Had that one lined up, too, only to miss the open lay up.)
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#79 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:58 pm

radcot wrote: James Posey played the role pretty well for the 2008 team.

Fair enough, especially considering the modern stretch-4 twist to his role.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#80 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:59 pm

Berkcelt wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:I looked it up, and there are six former Celtics players who were NBA coach of the year. 5 should be pretty easy to guess, due to recency or obviousness as the case may be. I wouldn't have gotten the 6th, however, without some incorrect guesses first.

Who were they?

This was my guess:

Larry Bird
Rick Carlisle
Bill Sharman
Tom Heinsohn
KC Jones
Don Chaney

(I looked up the answer...doh. Had that one lined up, too, only to miss the open lay up.)

Well, you got the one I wouldn't have. Unfortunately, you also got one of the incorrect guesses I would have had ahead of him. :D

Return to Boston Celtics