ImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,801

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1281 » by 165bows » Tue May 21, 2024 1:06 am

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:French prospects raising their games during the playoffs:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

So this Traore is a pretty serious high level prospect is that right?
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,421

Post#1282 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Tue May 21, 2024 6:59 am

165bows wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:French prospects raising their games during the playoffs:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

So this Traore is a pretty serious high level prospect is that right?

Yes. He is only draft eligible in 2025 but I like him better than Sarr or Risacher. He's already been invited to train with the French national team for the build up to the Olympics. Here's what he did in an elimination game this week-end:
Read on Twitter

Here's what he did at the hoops summit last month:
Read on Twitter
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,400

Post#1283 » by Hal14 » Tue May 21, 2024 12:45 pm

165bows wrote:
neno wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Payton Sandfort seems like a Brad Stevens type of player.

"Beautiful shooter off the catch capable of knocking down shots from anywhere."

Write up from the ringer has lot to like
Payton Sandfort
Iowa, Junior

HEIGHT 6'7"
WEIGHT 215
AGE 21.9
Beautiful shooter off the catch capable of knocking down shots from anywhere.
SHADES OF
Sam hauser
Movement Shooter
Clutch Gene
Spacer
Off-Ball Mover
PLUSES
Elite shooter coming off of screens and handoffs who knows how to create space for himself. He’s the type of player that defenses can’t forget about or he’ll make them regret it.

Capable shooter off the dribble who can get into side dribbles with ease, and he’s unfazed by the presence of a defender when pulling up from midrange.

Never plays outside of himself as a good decision-maker with the ball in his hands. But with a growing role each season, he’s shown he’s more than that. He has a feel for passing his teammates open off of drives.

High-effort defender who rebounds for his position.

MINUSES
A limited primary shot creator who has trouble with long-armed defenders.

Doesn’t change directions all too quickly when defending in space, which could leave him prone to being targeted by offenses
A shooter named Payton who's compared to Hauser? Ok!!!

Might have a shot at being a player and a decent second round pick - but has anyone asked Joe Wieskamp what his feelings are on the matter??!?

Yeah, you joke but Wieskamp is a reason to temper expectations with Sandfort.

Both Wieskamp and Sandfort were sharpshooters who played for the Iowa Hawkeyes. Both 6'7", both were like 21 yrs old on draft night.

Both poor defenders.

But I actually thought Wieskamp was the better prospect - since he had much more explosiveness/athleticism than Sandfort - and a stronger build. Yet Wieskamp (so far) has been a bust. Got waived by a couple of teams, and then spend this past season on the Celtics g league team (but not on a 2-way..so just a regular g league contract), which isn't how you want to spend your 3rd season after being drafted.

Now, of course that doesn't necessarily mean that Sandfort will be a bust. But it should at least be a factor. Iowa players seem to be a pretty mixed bag in the NBA. Keegan Murray has of course been really solid in Sacramento. But he was the 4th pick in the draft and absolutely *dominated* college basketball as a sophomore. Keegan's twin brother Kris however, (too soon to tell, but) was a late 2nd round pick last year and had an underwhelming rookie season for a tanking Blazers team.

At the draft combine last week, Sandfort looked a bit out of place and overmatched in the scrimmages. Between the 2 games, he went 2/9 from the floor and 0/7 from 3. Small sample size of course and we don't want to put too much emphasis on the combine scrimmages, but they certainly do factor in.

In closing, Sandfort is really bad defensively. And offers pretty much nothing, except shooting. If we sign him as an UDFA, fine. But I wouldn't use a draft pick on him.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#1284 » by Hal14 » Tue May 21, 2024 2:03 pm

This would be an A+ draft for us if it actually happens (Holmes at 30, Djurisic at 54)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10121302-2024-nba-mock-draft-new-no-1-post-combine-2-round-predictions

With that being said, I doubt we keep pick 30 and I doubt Djurisic is still there at 54. But we can dream.

Also, wild that they don't have Jamir Watkins getting drafted. If that happens, you take him as an UDFA. Although if he's not projected to get drafted, he'll probably play another year of college basketball. I think he's a top 15 prospect in this class, though..

Also..there's now been several mock drafts that have us taking Holmes at 30, which of course means it's definitely not happening lol.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,518

Post#1285 » by Celts17Pride » Tue May 21, 2024 2:17 pm

Hal14 wrote:This would be an A+ draft for us if it actually happens (Holmes at 30, Djurisic at 54)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10121302-2024-nba-mock-draft-new-no-1-post-combine-2-round-predictions

With that being said, I doubt we keep pick 30 and I doubt Djurisic is still there at 54. But we can dream.

Also, wild that they don't have Jamir Watkins getting drafted. If that happens, you take him as an UDFA. Although if he's not projected to get drafted, he'll probably play another year of college basketball. I think he's a top 15 prospect in this class, though..

I get the fascination with big men but I would rather get a 6'6" - 6'8" wing that can play and score (like Jaylon Tyson). I mean I just don't see what Holmes does that Queta doesn't already bring to the table with more size. I don't follow college basketball so maybe I'm wrong.

A lot of this depends and how the Celtics feel about the young players they already have in Davison, Walsh, Springer, Peterson and Queta. I have no clue what their plans are for any of those players.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#1286 » by Hal14 » Tue May 21, 2024 2:43 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
Hal14 wrote:This would be an A+ draft for us if it actually happens (Holmes at 30, Djurisic at 54)

I get the fascination with big men but I would rather get a 6'6" - 6'8" wing that can play and score (like Jaylon Tyson). I mean I just don't see what Holmes does that Queta doesn't already bring to the table with more size. I don't follow college basketball so maybe I'm wrong.

A lot of this depends and how the Celtics feel about the young players they already have in Davison, Walsh, Springer, Peterson and Queta. I have no clue what their plans are for any of those players.

Fair points. A couple things I would say:

-The main difference between Holmes and Queta is that Holmes can shoot 3's. Holmes is also less foul-prone, a little more sure-handed and comfortable with the ball in his hands out away from the basket, better play maker..can actually attack off the dribble a bit. Overall a little bit less raw. Queta though is bigger and a better rebounder, better rim protector, better lob threat.

-I'm fine if we draft a wing instead of a big. However there seems to be more of a realistic path to playing time for a big. KP is injured A LOT. Al will be 38 next season. Queta's contract is non-guaranteed for next season. Tillman and Kornet are both free agents this summer.

Meanwhile if we draft a wing, they'd be behind Tatum and Brown..plus Hauser, they'd be competing with Walsh for minutes..and possibly Brissett. Plus there's less wing mins available since we often play 2 guards (Jrue, White, Pritchard) at a time.

-That mock draft has us taking a 6'8" wing. Djurisic. IMO he's a better prospect than Tyson. I think it's debatable - they're close..but I have Djurisic ranked slightly higher right now.
Celts17Pride
RealGM

Post#1287 » by Celts17Pride » Tue May 21, 2024 2:47 pm

I know I'm late to this but I'm starting to like Jonathan Mogbo. Mogbo might be an excellent player to play with Pritchard, Hauser, White and Big Al. He would bring some toughness and passing to that lineup. I know the Celtics had a workout with him.

The NBA draft is always fun.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1288 » by 165bows » Tue May 21, 2024 2:59 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:

-The main difference between Holmes and Queta is that Holmes can shoot 3's. Holmes is also less foul-prone, a little more sure-handed and comfortable with the ball in his hands out away from the basket, better play maker..can actually attack off the dribble a bit. Overall a little bit less raw. Queta though is bigger and a better rebounder, better rim protector, better lob threat.

-I'm fine if we draft a wing instead of a big. However there seems to be more of a realistic path to playing time for a big. KP is injured A LOT. Al will be 38 next season. Queta's contract is non-guaranteed for next season. Tillman and Kornet are both free agents this summer.

Meanwhile if we draft a wing, they'd be behind Tatum and Brown..plus Hauser, they'd be competing with Walsh for minutes..and possibly Brissett. Plus there's less wing mins available since we often play 2 guards (Jrue, White, Pritchard) at a time.

-That mock draft has us taking a 6'8" wing. Djurisic. IMO he's a better prospect than Tyson. I think it's debatable - they're close..but I have Djurisic ranked slightly higher right now.

Isn't DaRon Holmes more JuJuan Johnson than Neemias Queta?

I'd be okay with him as the pick just seems like off the top of my head that's a tough mold to hit on. Ie, every team is looking for a long, mobile combo 4-5 type that might be able to shoot and can block some shots. But it's just a lot of boxes to check and seems like the hits are way outstripping the misses.
Celts17Pride
RealGM

Post#1289 » by Celts17Pride » Tue May 21, 2024 3:01 pm

165bows wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:I get the fascination with big men but I would rather get a 6'6" - 6'8" wing that can play and score (like Jaylon Tyson). I mean I just don't see what Holmes does that Queta doesn't already bring to the table with more size. I don't follow college basketball so maybe I'm wrong.

Isn't DaRon Holmes more JuJuan Johnson than Neemias Queta?

I'd be okay with him as the pick just seems like off the top of my head that's a tough mold to hit on. Ie, every team is looking for a long, mobile combo 4-5 type that might be able to shoot and can block some shots. But it's just a lot of boxes to check and seems like the hits are way outstripping the misses.

DaRon Holmes is not as fluid as JuJuan Johnson, plays more like a center.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#1290 » by Hal14 » Tue May 21, 2024 4:19 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:I know I'm late to this but I'm starting to like Jonathan Mogbo. Mogbo might be an excellent player to play with Pritchard, Hauser, White and Big Al. He would bring some toughness and passing to that lineup. I know the Celtics had a workout with him.

The NBA draft is always fun.

Yeah I wouldn't hate it if we picked Mogbo in mid to late 2nd round.

With that being said, I'm not wild about drafting anyone who's a complete non-shooter..given how shooting is so emphasized in the NBA right now, it's emphasized even more on the Celtics..and we already have quite a few suspect shooters (or non-shooters) already with Kornet, Tillman, Queta, Walsh, Brissett, Springer, etc.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,543

Post#1291 » by threrf23 » Tue May 21, 2024 5:53 pm

Hal14 wrote:
With that being said, I'm not wild about drafting anyone who's a complete non-shooter..given how shooting is so emphasized in the NBA right now, it's emphasized even more on the Celtics.

But, if we are looking at successful teams,

'23 Nuggets played Aaron Gordon 36 mpg in the playoffs, despite that he could only kind of shoot.

'22 Warriors gave ~52 minutes per game between Dray & Looney in the playoffs, neither of which was a threat from three (Dray shot 20% on low quantity in the playoffs)

'21 Bucks were anchored by Giannis, who shot 19% from 3 in the playoffs and has often been considered overrated based on a notion he doesn't shoot well

'20 Lakers, were kind of a Bubble fluke

< '20 Ws teams often emphasized size and physicality over shooting around their cores.

If there is a constant, it's that all of these teams, except the Warriors, had star big men. And the Warriors at least had Dray, who in his day, was considered an elite defensive big. And if we still consider Dray an elite defensive big in '22, each one of those teams (edit except the Nuggs, who just got eliminated by Gobert this year) had a guy who would have been considered an elite defensive big.

Not sure that matters much here, cause Mogbo looks like Ken Faried at best, and not so much a star big man nor elite defender, but I'm just saying.
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,421

Post#1292 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Tue May 21, 2024 6:49 pm

threrf23 wrote:If there is a constant, it's that all of these teams, except the Warriors, had star big men. And the Warriors at least had Dray, who in his day, was considered an elite defensive big. And if we still consider Dray an elite defensive big in '22, each one of those teams (edit except the Nuggs, who just got eliminated by Gobert this year) had a guy who would have been considered an elite defensive big.

Not sure that matters much here, cause Mogbo looks like Ken Faried at best, and not so much a star big man nor elite defender, but I'm just saying.

Draymond Green was 2nd team all defense and anchored the second best defense in the league in 2022 (the Warriors allowed the fewest shot in the restricted area that season as well). Considering Draymond to be anything but elite defensively in 2022 is revisionist history.

To the larger point, every team has some non shooters. It's just hard to fill a rotation only with guys that can shoot. Even the Celtics this year which are probably as deep in terms of shooting as any team ever, have a guy in Kornet that played real meaningful minutes in the playoffs and is currently a non shooter (even if he wasn't earlier in his career).

When looking at Stevens' track record (Begarin, Davison, Walsh) it's pretty clear the Celtics haven't prioritized shooting in the draft. Admittedly none of those guys quite fell to the level of total non shooter but you would also expect that if the Celtics select a big, the threshold for shooting would be even lower than for perimeter oriented positions.
redslastlaugh
Junior
And1: 169

Post#1293 » by redslastlaugh » Tue May 21, 2024 7:04 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:

-I'm fine if we draft a wing instead of a big. However there seems to be more of a realistic path to playing time for a big. KP is injured A LOT. Al will be 38 next season. Queta's contract is non-guaranteed for next season. Tillman and Kornet are both free agents this summer. .

I like DaRon Holmes a lot. I think he’s like poormans RobWill as ball mover and rim finisher, but less athletic, less wingspan. But also a little bit crossed with poormans Pascal Siakam, can dribble drive, spin moves off the bounce, post footwork, takes 3s but probably not an elite %.

He’s maybe too small or to unskilled to hit, which is why he MIGHT be there at pick 30. But if he hits, he has a chance to be really good.

And he’s in the mold of player that really vibes with JT.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,422

Post#1294 » by djFan71 » Tue May 21, 2024 7:19 pm

redslastlaugh wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:

-I'm fine if we draft a wing instead of a big. However there seems to be more of a realistic path to playing time for a big. KP is injured A LOT. Al will be 38 next season. Queta's contract is non-guaranteed for next season. Tillman and Kornet are both free agents this summer. .

I like DaRon Holmes a lot. I think he’s like poormans RobWill as ball mover and rim finisher, but less athletic, less wingspan. But also a little bit crossed with poormans Pascal Siakam, can dribble drive, spin moves off the bounce, post footwork, takes 3s but probably not an elite %.

He’s maybe too small or to unskilled to hit, which is why he MIGHT be there at pick 30. But if he hits, he has a chance to be really good.

How is he defending on the perimeter on switches? That seems to be the make or break skill for his size. He's gotta be able to survive out there, then you can live with other deficiencies, esp on offense. But, if he doesn't have the lateral quickness, nor the size, then I'm not sure how you use him defensively.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,543

Post#1295 » by threrf23 » Tue May 21, 2024 7:27 pm

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:Draymond Green was 2nd team all defense and anchored the second best defense in the league in 2022 (the Warriors allowed the fewest shot in the restricted area that season as well). Considering Draymond to be anything but elite defensively in 2022 is revisionist history.

To the larger point, every team has some non shooters. It's just hard to fill a rotation only with guys that can shoot. Even the Celtics this year which are probably as deep in terms of shooting as any team ever, have a guy in Kornet that played real meaningful minutes in the playoffs and is currently a non shooter (even if he wasn't earlier in his career).

When looking at Stevens' track record (Begarin, Davison, Walsh) it's pretty clear the Celtics haven't prioritized shooting in the draft. Admittedly none of those guys quite fell to the level of total non shooter but you would also expect that if the Celtics select a big, the threshold for shooting would be even lower than for perimeter oriented positions.

I mean, Begarin/Davison/Walsh were non-shooters in the same sense that Kawhi was a non-shooter, and that is being generous to Kawhi who, based solely on his three point shooting stats, never projected to be as good a shooter as those guys. They showed the ability to shoot. There is another conversation there in and of itself.

It's not just that it's hard to fill a rotation only with guys who can shoot, it is that there is more to the game than shooting and balance is important. Not even saying that Brad doesn't get that, just saying that even recent history suggests that having a big who can anchor a defense is more important than having a big man who can shoot.

Nuggets went out and acquired Aaron Gordon who many weren't a real big fan of, mainly because he wasn't a real good shooter. Wolves went out and paid Gobert, and were panned for it. If you think Jonathan Mogbo can be a stud, or at least a perfect fit in the vein of Gordon, you don't pass on him because he can't shoot, is all I am saying.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1296 » by 165bows » Tue May 21, 2024 8:04 pm

threrf23 wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:Draymond Green was 2nd team all defense and anchored the second best defense in the league in 2022 (the Warriors allowed the fewest shot in the restricted area that season as well). Considering Draymond to be anything but elite defensively in 2022 is revisionist history.

I mean, Begarin/Davison/Walsh were non-shooters in the same sense that Kawhi was a non-shooter, and that is being generous to Kawhi who, based solely on his three point shooting stats, never projected to be as good a shooter as those guys. They showed the ability to shoot. There is another conversation there in and of itself.

It's not just that it's hard to fill a rotation only with guys who can shoot, it is that there is more to the game than shooting and balance is important. Not even saying that Brad doesn't get that, just saying that even recent history suggests that having a big who can anchor a defense is more important than having a big man who can shoot.

Nuggets went out and acquired Aaron Gordon who many weren't a real big fan of, mainly because he wasn't a real good shooter. Wolves went out and paid Gobert, and were panned for it. If you think Jonathan Mogbo can be a stud, or at least a perfect fit in the vein of Gordon, you don't pass on him because he can't shoot, is all I am saying.

I think the Celtics, along with maybe 3-5 other teams, can integrate a 4 that doesn't shoot into the rotation as well as anyone. So it's nice to be able to take advantage of the value presented by a good player who's maybe a tougher fit for most teams.

But also they've been pretty explicit that they draft or sign guys with the goal of developing skills, and shooting is as easy to improve as anything else (a guy is much more likely to go up a couple levels shooting-wise than in size or athleticism for example).

Case in point is Yam Madar, guy was a sub 30% 3 point shooter when they drafted him and he's hit 40%+ from three for like three years in a row now.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#1297 » by Hal14 » Tue May 21, 2024 8:07 pm

djFan71 wrote:
redslastlaugh wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Fair points. A couple things I would say:

How is he defending on the perimeter on switches? That seems to be the make or break skill for his size. He's gotta be able to survive out there, then you can live with other deficiencies, esp on offense. But, if he doesn't have the lateral quickness, nor the size, then I'm not sure how you use him defensively.

I wouldn't say Holmes is elite at it, but he definitely showed quite a few intriguing flashes of switchability this past season.

Also, size-wise Holmes is similar to guys like Capela, Okongwu, Richaun Holmes, Dwight Powell and Kevon Looney - none of whom are great defending switches..

Holmes has the potential to be a more switchable defender than those guys..not to mention he's the only one of the group who can shoot from 3 (Okongwu started to shoot a little bit this season..)

25-35 range is about where Holmes should go, imo.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,225

Post#1298 » by Dogen » Tue May 21, 2024 8:09 pm

Also..there's now been several mock drafts that have us taking Holmes at 30, which of course means it's definitely not happening lol.

I never heard of Djurisic until this week, but there is a post-combine buzz around him -- and every team needs a Nikola these days (it's like Jalen for Euros).

He seems to be shooting up the charts so might need to move up. Looks like a real triple-threat type, I like the passing!

Throw it in the corner... Brown fakes, fires up a three... BANG!!! BANG!!! :D
redslastlaugh
Junior

Post#1299 » by redslastlaugh » Tue May 21, 2024 8:11 pm

like DaRon Holmes a lot. I think he’s like poormans RobWill as ball mover and rim finisher, but less athletic, less wingspan. But also a little bit crossed with poormans Pascal Siakam, can dribble drive, spin moves off the bounce, post footwork, takes 3s but probably not an elite %.

From the reports I’ve read, perimeter defense/switchability is considered a strength. Holmes played in the combine last year and got good grades for holding his own defensively on switches against draftable players.That said, he’s not playing NBA level guards at Dayton so who knows if he will hold up. But from the video (take a look below) he’s definitely got a chance, I mean he’s not getting cooked like Enes out there.

Here is 1:56 of general scouting report on Holmes:

Here at 18:01 is several minutes of defensive possession in the post and on the perimeter.

redslastlaugh
Junior

Post#1300 » by redslastlaugh » Tue May 21, 2024 8:40 pm

Here’s an interesting big board with a lot of contrarian takes:

https://petervalencia.substack.com/p/big-board-v30

Reminds me of Dean Demakis from deanondraft. Guess I just love a predraft analyst with some different rankings.

Return to Boston Celtics