ImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,543

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1221 » by threrf23 » Fri May 17, 2024 6:59 am

BK_2020 wrote:
threrf23 wrote: at Texas Tech his coach was sacked for comparing his relationship with his players to a relationship between master and slave.

what in the world

I guess the guy claimed he was innocently reciting some Bible verse regarding masters and servants.

According to this Reddit thread, he was also accused of...
decade long affair with twin brothers wife (ew)

was less than discrete about banging twin brothers wife while twin brother was alive

divorced wife as soon as twin brother dies

marries twin brothers widow

stops coming to work to spend more time banging dead twin brothers widow turned into wife 2.0

not coming to work time corresponds to Tech losing streak that ultimately dooms their NCAA chances

gets pissy with people asking him to come to work and do his job. Rumors this includes thelling the AD to mind his own business

spitting on a player he was mad at
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,836

Post#1222 » by brackdan70 » Fri May 17, 2024 1:19 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
redslastlaugh wrote:Jaylon Tyson looks like he could be a playoff wing like a Caleb Martin type if pans out, which sounds good. I wonder if anyone has heard if Tyson has character red flags given that he played at three different big time schools in three years, which seems weird, to transfer side-to-side twice??

Don't know but he looks like a talent to me. Cross between JB/D White.

“Tyson is a Swiss Army knife type of player who has good size and shows potential to be a two-way player on both sides of the ball while doing everything,” an NBA executive told HoopsHype.

Sounds good to me.

Another take:

It’s taken three different stops in as many years for Tyson during his college career, but he’s really found the perfect system to showcase his skillset with the Golden Bears as a junior. A 6-foot-7 wing with guard tools, he’s an enticing piece on both ends of the floor.

On the offensive side of the ball, Tyson is a 20-point scorer nearly every single night. Overall, he’s a phenomenal offensive engine who can score the ball at a high level and also operate as a secondary facilitator. He’s generated a high number of assists for a player of his size, but can also be fairly turnover-prone at times. The 21-year-old is a good ballhandler as well, with fluid movement off the bounce for a wing.

Simply put, he’s a playmaker on that end. Tyson is a reliable 3-point shooter on decent volume, but still has room to grow as a perimeter shooter. It will be interesting to see how he adapts to a more limited role in NBA. How effective can he be without taking 12 to 15 shots initially? He has the skills to be an effective piece off the bench with limited shot attempts, but that's not his game at the college level.

Tyson’s ability to crash the boards really makes him stick out for his position. Despite being a perimeter-oriented player, he’s one of the most effective rebounders at his height in the country. He is also an engaged defender who can take on multiple positions and plays smart on that end of the floor.

A former four-star recruit, Tyson has significantly improved his draft stock during his third college season. He would be a great pickup for a competitive team that needs a year-one impact rookie.

Sounds like our guy…and also fits the big wing hole that might be left if Brissett opts out.
Sign here
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,732

Post#1223 » by shi-woo » Fri May 17, 2024 2:24 pm

I would focus more on drafting a solid upperclassman, our core is signed for the long haul, we don't need projects who won't play. I think going after dudes like Braun, Hauser, the Nova boys, and Pritchard is the way to go. Dudes who you know play team basketball, move the ball, and are used to a winning environment.

Cam Spencer would be a nice pick up, really liked following his on the Huskies, and he was arguably their best player in the tourney outside of Clingan. He reminds me of Braun and think he could actually get minutes on this team when we rest guys. Same with Newton, both guys have shooting and playmaking skills.

Other upperclassmen I would love to see us look at:

Antonio Reeves- Only reason I see him mocked in the late 1st and 2nd is age. Dude was a monster last year, makes no sense, and think draft boards are under rating this guy.

Harrison Ingram- Again, don't know how this dude is getting mocked in the mid 2nd, he projects to be a solid 4 at the next level. Showed the ability to shoot and rebound, and I think he could be a better version of what people think Osheaa Brisset is.

Coleman Hawkinns- Dude has all the tools to be a modern day 5 off the bench. Size, can shoot it, and is a solid defender. Would be a nice big man prospect to have on the bench getting spot minutes, and fits our system like a T.

Tristian de Silva- Not really going under the radar but he's a projected late 1st in our area, and has legit size and shooting ability. Would be a fantastic get for this team as another Shooter off the bench with size.

People hate this draft, but I love it. So many good upperclassmen, and a lot of guys at the end of the 1st and early 2nd are going to have long NBA careers. Hope we find one of them
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,881

Post#1224 » by BK_2020 » Fri May 17, 2024 2:43 pm

Harrison Ingram sounds like a bust waiting to happen. Like a combination of Harrison Barnes and Brandon Ingram, but all the worst parts. Never seen the dude play but I won't draft him just based on the name.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,395

Post#1225 » by Hal14 » Fri May 17, 2024 3:29 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
redslastlaugh wrote:Jaylon Tyson looks like he could be a playoff wing like a Caleb Martin type if pans out, which sounds good. I wonder if anyone has heard if Tyson has character red flags given that he played at three different big time schools in three years, which seems weird, to transfer side-to-side twice??

Don't know but he looks like a talent to me. Cross between JB/D White.

“Tyson is a Swiss Army knife type of player who has good size and shows potential to be a two-way player on both sides of the ball while doing everything,” an NBA executive told HoopsHype.

Sounds good to me.

Another take:

It’s taken three different stops in as many years for Tyson during his college career, but he’s really found the perfect system to showcase his skillset with the Golden Bears as a junior. A 6-foot-7 wing with guard tools, he’s an enticing piece on both ends of the floor.

On the offensive side of the ball, Tyson is a 20-point scorer nearly every single night. Overall, he’s a phenomenal offensive engine who can score the ball at a high level and also operate as a secondary facilitator. He’s generated a high number of assists for a player of his size, but can also be fairly turnover-prone at times. The 21-year-old is a good ballhandler as well, with fluid movement off the bounce for a wing.

Simply put, he’s a playmaker on that end. Tyson is a reliable 3-point shooter on decent volume, but still has room to grow as a perimeter shooter. It will be interesting to see how he adapts to a more limited role in NBA. How effective can he be without taking 12 to 15 shots initially? He has the skills to be an effective piece off the bench with limited shot attempts, but that's not his game at the college level.

Tyson’s ability to crash the boards really makes him stick out for his position. Despite being a perimeter-oriented player, he’s one of the most effective rebounders at his height in the country. He is also an engaged defender who can take on multiple positions and plays smart on that end of the floor.

A former four-star recruit, Tyson has significantly improved his draft stock during his third college season. He would be a great pickup for a competitive team that needs a year-one impact rookie.

Sounds like our guy…and also fits the big wing hole that might be left if Brissett opts out.

Tyson could be our guy.

But he's 6'6.5" with a 6'8" wingspan. Idk if I'd all him a big wing (more like a medium sized wing) and not sure he would fill a Brissett type of role.

Tyson would be more of like a bench scorer. Someone who can shoot, create off the bounce, give you some secondary ball handling and secondary playmaking, off the bench at 6'6"/6'7".

The guy I think who could maybe eventually fill the role that Brissett had this past season (high energy, big wing, can play the 4, hustle, rebound, defend but limited on offense) is Walsh.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#1226 » by brackdan70 » Fri May 17, 2024 3:44 pm

Hal14 wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Don't know but he looks like a talent to me. Cross between JB/D White.

Sounds good to me.

Another take:

Tyson could be our guy.

But he's 6'6.5" with a 6'8" wingspan. Idk if I'd all him a big wing (more like a medium sized wing) and not sure he would fill a Brissett type of role.

Tyson would be more of like a bench scorer. Someone who can shoot, create off the bounce, give you some secondary ball handling and secondary playmaking, off the bench at 6'6"/6'7".

The guy I think who could maybe eventually fill the role that Brissett had this past season (high energy, big wing, can play the 4, hustle, rebound, defend but limited on offense) is Walsh.

Good point on the wingspan. Different than Brissett really but it looks like Tyson can defend 1-3 and sometimes 4 to me. Yes for sure Walsh might be a better comp for the Brissett replacement. I hope Walsh gets some run next year.
Sign here
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,225

Post#1227 » by Dogen » Fri May 17, 2024 6:19 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:Sounds like our guy…and also fits the big wing hole that might be left if Brissett opts out.

Tyson could be our guy.

Good point on the wingspan. Different than Brissett really but it looks like Tyson can defend 1-3 and sometimes 4 to me. Yes for sure Walsh might be a better comp for the Brissett replacement. I hope Walsh gets some run next year.

I've been seeing Tyson go in mid first round, before 20, in some mocks. Could he slip to 30? Worth moving up for?

In a combine interview, he says he is modeling his game after guys like Caleb Martin and Josh Hart. Celtics could use a versatile, utility bench guy like that. Not to replace Walsh but with complimentary skill sets.

Throw it in the corner... Brown fakes, fires up a three... BANG!!! BANG!!! :D
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,211

Post#1228 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri May 17, 2024 6:24 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Harrison Ingram sounds like a bust waiting to happen. Like a combination of Harrison Barnes and Brandon Ingram, but all the worst parts. Never seen the dude play but I won't draft him just based on the name.

Brandon Barnes is the name that sounds like it should apply to a particularly unimpressive preppie.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,395

Post#1229 » by Hal14 » Fri May 17, 2024 6:38 pm

Dogen wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Tyson could be our guy.

I've been seeing Tyson go in mid first round, before 20, in some mocks. Could he slip to 30? Worth moving up for?

In a combine interview, he says he is modeling his game after guys like Caleb Martin and Josh Hart. Celtics could use a versatile, utility bench guy like that. Not to replace Walsh but with complimentary skill sets.

Yeah, I can see him being kind of like a Caleb Martin or Josh Hart type of guy. Needs to improve a bit on defense though.

With his ability to score (and being not as great on D) I actually think he could be more like a Jaquez type..and if he really hits, he could even be like a Jalen Williams type.

To answer your other questions, I think it's possible he slips to 30 but not likely.

And I think it's much more likely that we trade out of the 1st round than it is that we trade up. So I doubt we get Tyson..but as I mentioned before, if he's still there at 30, you gotta give strong consideration to taking him.

Side note. Chomche is growing on me. He looked pretty good at the combine..I think someone is gonna take him in the 2nd round - it might be us..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,789

Post#1230 » by 165bows » Fri May 17, 2024 6:50 pm

Pretty agnostic on the type of player they land but they don’t keep many firsts so either a trade or pick a player just land some good value with it.

I agree with the poster above that bad drafts end up with a lot of reaches and it looks like some decent bench guys should be available.

Caveat being I just don’t see a big path to a lot of immediate minutes so younger or older prospect I think it will be a guy who’s on board with the longer development timeline. Ie it’ll be a bit of a mutual pick between player and team imo.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,789

Post#1231 » by 165bows » Fri May 17, 2024 6:53 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Dogen wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:Good point on the wingspan. Different than Brissett really but it looks like Tyson can defend 1-3 and sometimes 4 to me. Yes for sure Walsh might be a better comp for the Brissett replacement. I hope Walsh gets some run next year.

Yeah, I can see him being kind of like a Caleb Martin or Josh Hart type of guy. Needs to improve a bit on defense though.

With his ability to score (and being not as great on D) I actually think he could be more like a Jaquez type..and if he really hits, he could even be like a Jalen Williams type.

To answer your other questions, I think it's possible he slips to 30 but not likely.

And I think it's much more likely that we trade out of the 1st round than it is that we trade up. So I doubt we get Tyson..but as I mentioned before, if he's still there at 30, you gotta give strong consideration to taking him.

Side note. Chomche is growing on me. He looked pretty good at the combine..I think someone is gonna take him in the 2nd round - it might be us..

What’s the short list for best combine recap coverage? I sort of missed out on it this year.
Dogen
RealGM

Post#1232 » by Dogen » Sat May 18, 2024 5:11 am

Hal14 wrote:
Dogen wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:Good point on the wingspan. Different than Brissett really but it looks like Tyson can defend 1-3 and sometimes 4 to me. Yes for sure Walsh might be a better comp for the Brissett replacement. I hope Walsh gets some run next year.

I'd be happy to land Chomche in the 2nd round for sure. Why not? The Celtics are in good position to take a chance on high risk/reward big for the future.

For the 30th pick -- if the keep it -- that proverbial Hart/Jaquez savvy wing type seems like fits a need for Celtics bench.

NBAdraft has Celtics taking Kevin McCullar Jr. at 30. 6-6", 210lbs, 6-9" wingspan, 23-year-old 5 year player from Kansas. Elite defense, good athleticism, questionable but improved shooting. Injured during the tourney. What do you think of him?
jonige94
Pro Prospect
And1: 640

Post#1233 » by jonige94 » Sat May 18, 2024 10:44 am

When was our last late first rounder/second rounder that we hit?

Pritchard?
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,881

Post#1234 » by BK_2020 » Sat May 18, 2024 10:51 am

jonige94 wrote:When was our last late first rounder/second rounder that we hit?

Pritchard?

He's been useful but we could've gotten Pritchard or someone just like him in the UDFA market.
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#1235 » by brackdan70 » Sat May 18, 2024 1:47 pm

BK_2020 wrote:

Pritchard?

He's been useful but we could've gotten Pritchard or someone just like him in the UDFA market.

Any names come to mind?
Pritchard has significantly outplayed his draft position. Ranks between 10-13 in his class in advanced metrics.
Sign here
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#1236 » by brackdan70 » Sat May 18, 2024 1:52 pm

Pritchard?

Yeah. Since then we have a couple guys over seas Davison and Walsh. Jury is still out on all.
Sign here
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#1237 » by Scoonie » Sat May 18, 2024 2:33 pm

Two guys I like in the late 1st round are Justin Edwards (high upside shooting guard) from Kentucky and Daron Holmes (productive big who can shoot and pass) from Dayton. I hope we keep our pick.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
Dogen
RealGM

Post#1238 » by Dogen » Sat May 18, 2024 4:43 pm

brackdan70 wrote:

Pritchard?

Yeah. Since then we have a couple guys over seas Davison and Walsh. Jury is still out on all.

Desmond Bane :roll:
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,415

Post#1239 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Sat May 18, 2024 5:40 pm

Pritchard?

Jordan Walsh. The NBA world just doesn't know it yet.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,915

Post#1240 » by Kalela » Sat May 18, 2024 6:01 pm

Pritchard?

Timelord was probably the last guy who was drafted late in the first round or 2nd round who was an impactful player. He was a lottery talent who fell because of medical issues though.
Fire Mazzulla

Return to Boston Celtics