ImageImageImage

Celts Cleave The Land! Game 3 Victory Cigar vs CLE 5/11 (BOS leads 2-1)

Moderators: bisme37, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10

Who smokes the big playoff cigar?

Tatum
39%
Brown
34%
White
2%
Jrue
21%
Horf
1%
Pritchard
No votes
Hauser
No votes
Kornet
1%
Other/Coach/Team
3%

Total votes: 132

KingofTheClay
Junior
And1: 222

Re: Celts Cleave The Land! Game 3 Victory Cigar vs CLE 5/11 (BOS leads 2-1) 

Post#121 » by KingofTheClay » Sun May 12, 2024 2:32 pm

I was never a big Brown fan but looks like he has emerged as the new vocal leader

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,324

Post#122 » by 31to6 » Sun May 12, 2024 2:34 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
31to6 wrote:When do we start telling each other that we don’t know ball?

In about 10 games.

I’ll be impressed if we get that far — any other loss to this CLE team or NYK could lead to another epic flameout here, after which we will have to learn a new username or two.

But here’s hoping.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,685

Post#123 » by Fierce1 » Sun May 12, 2024 3:09 pm

KingofTheClay wrote:I was never a big Brown fan but looks like he has emerged as the new vocal leader

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is true.

Saw him motivate the guys before the game started.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,069

Post#124 » by Celts17Pride » Sun May 12, 2024 3:26 pm

philing00 wrote:Brown was the man mid game when Tatum was struggling. He was able to get to the rim at will.

That’s what he is supposed to do, #2 step up when #1 struggles
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,486

Post#125 » by fallguy » Sun May 12, 2024 3:45 pm

Really great game, despite its imperfections.

Tatum answered the bell. Really curious who drove the shift in how aggressive he was. I assume it was him, because Joe seems to want something else most games. But that's how he has to play if we're going to get 10 more wins.

Also, don't care about the turnovers or mid-range stuff. He was running on empty and had already done so much. He's still shooting abysmally from three though. And we're getting close to halfway through the four rounds.

Joe used timeouts like he was coaching for his job. Well-timed and effective. It should always be like this.

Another great Jaylen game. Don't care about the hiccups and odd dopey decision if his overall numbers are that efficient.

Jrue seemed fully awake on offense for the first time in a long time.

Lots of hand-wringing about Al. Not sure there's a better option. It's not Queta. Probably more Kornet. Although I think they could go small, switch on D and obliterate the Cavs on both ends.
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,486

Post#126 » by fallguy » Sun May 12, 2024 4:24 pm

DW 3-8 on threes. Nice bounce back.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,961

Post#127 » by bisme37 » Sun May 12, 2024 4:25 pm

bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,961

Post#128 » by bisme37 » Sun May 12, 2024 4:29 pm

Al Horford told Abby Chin of NBC Sports Boston that Tatum challenged the Celtics starting five at halftime to come out more assertive despite the lead. Boston’s starters responded with a 14-0 run out of the gate that created a 23-point edge early in the frame. The Cavs were unable to overcome that deficit throughout the remainder of the second half, cutting Boston’s lead to no smaller than nine points the rest of the way in a 106-93 win.

Tatum spoke on what led to the call for action during the victory.

“Just challenge everybody, myself, the starters, we’ve had a tendency in the past to relax coming out of the halftime,” Tatum said. “We’re usually winning coming out at halftime. So I just challenged the group: Can we come out like our back is against the wall? Can we make them call the first timeout? Can we come on like we’re down nine? We responded and we started the third quarter very well.”

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2024/05/celtics-respond-to-surprise-halftime-challenge-in-game-3-win-vs-cavs.html
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,722

Post#129 » by return2glory » Sun May 12, 2024 4:42 pm

Good win.

VC to Jrue and Brown. Both were really good. I'm been awaiting for a game like this from Jrue for a while now. We need his scoring with KP out.

Brown was locked in and had a strong bounce back game.

Tatum was the opposite of soft in this game. Game 2, he was soft. Fans knew it, media knew it and Tatum acted like he didn't know it after game 2. But played so differently in game 3. To Tatum, here is the definition of soft when it comes to your game. When you settle for 3s, especially step back 3s and you give low effort on defense and on the boards and play with no pride, you played soft.
That's lazy ball.

When you play with effort (especially on the boards) and settle less on 3s and put pressure on the defense by attacking the paint area, that's what we are looking for, especially in the playoffs. Tatum had his best game of the playoffs. He need that intensity from him every game in the playoffs.

Props to Pritchard as well.

Joe coached well but less needs to figure out a way of getting Tilman some minutes and play Al about 30-34 minutes instead of 38-40.
He need Al fresh and he looked cooked because Joe is overplaying him.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 92,530

Post#130 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun May 12, 2024 10:53 pm

fallguy wrote:Really great game, despite its imperfections.

Tatum answered the bell. Really curious who drove the shift in how aggressive he was. I assume it was him, because Joe seems to want something else most games. But that's how he has to play if we're going to get 10 more wins.

Also, don't care about the turnovers or mid-range stuff. He was running on empty and had already done so much. He's still shooting abysmally from three though. And we're getting close to halfway through the four rounds.

Joe used timeouts like he was coaching for his job. Well-timed and effective. It should always be like this.

Another great Jaylen game. Don't care about the hiccups and odd dopey decision if his overall numbers are that efficient.

Lots of hand-wringing about Al. Not sure there's a better option. It's not Queta. Probably more Kornet. Although I think they could go small, switch on D and obliterate the Cavs on both ends.

Definitely could look into going small esp when Mobley is out. Cavs spent some time with Dean Wade as their center. Main concern is it's even gonna be more taxing on Tatum to also protect the paint. Apart from a couple of defensive possessions, Horford was brutal the entire game. You can't switch him to contest in the perimeter and he can't protect the rim. Tatum mostly took care of rebounding. Joe didn't even try Tillman. I don't think it was Horford's fault. He was still giving his all. Joe was asking too much by playing him 39 minutes.
31to6
RealGM

Post#131 » by 31to6 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:03 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:

Definitely could look into going small esp when Mobley is out. Cavs spent some time with Dean Wade as their center. Main concern is it's even gonna be more taxing on Tatum to also protect the paint. Apart from a couple of defensive possessions, Horford was brutal the entire game. You can't switch him to contest in the perimeter and he can't protect the rim. Tatum mostly took care of rebounding. Joe didn't even try Tillman. I don't think it was Horford's fault. He was still giving his all. Joe was asking too much by playing him 39 minutes.

I agree with the general call to try more Tillman and also Tatum at the 5. But also if Mitchell is going to hit pull-up 3s over Horford, more power to him. I don't think the Cavs do more than maybe win one more game playing that way.

To put it another way, Al's switchability is a plus. The Cs center options:
Al: switch everything on D, concede some 3pt FGA, be a 3pt threat on offense.
Luke: try not to switch, try to grab some ORBs and be a lob threat
Tillman: switch everything on D, hope they drift out to the corner with you on offense, but they might not
Tatum: switch everything, hope Mobley's not in the game, and spread the **** out of them on the other side of the court

Hopefully Joe and staff are getting the message to try more of 'all of the above' and it should still be a 5 game series -- max of 6. I am not confident that KP comes back promptly to start any ECF -- or that the calf stays healthy -- so not burning out Al needs to be a priority.

I have one other priority though, and I must phrase it carefully because I'm never an advocate of dirty play:
Evan Mobley is like 6'10" and maybe 200lbs, and the number of uncontested dunks he has this series is bugging me a bit.
I would like to see someone -- not viciously, not recklessly -- put him on his skinny ass at least once instead.
That's not Al's style, and Luke and Tatum aren't great candidates to do it either. I'm not sure Tillman can, and I don't want him to be a goon.
But someone.
At least once.
Please and thank you.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 92,530

Post#132 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon May 13, 2024 12:16 am

31to6 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:

I agree with the general call to try more Tillman and also Tatum at the 5. But also if Mitchell is going to hit pull-up 3s over Horford, more power to him. I don't think the Cavs do more than maybe win one more game playing that way.

Tillman: switch everything on D, hope they drift out to the corner with you on offense, but they might not
Tatum: switch everything, hope Mobley's not in the game, and spread the **** out of them on the other side of the court

Hopefully Joe and staff are getting the message to try more of 'all of the above' and it should still be a 5 game series -- max of 6. I am not confident that KP comes back promptly to start any ECF -- or that the calf stays healthy -- so not burning out Al needs to be a priority.

I have one other priority though, and I must phrase it carefully because I'm never an advocate of dirty play:
Evan Mobley is like 6'10" and maybe 200lbs, and the number of uncontested dunks he has this series is bugging me a bit.
I would like to see someone -- not viciously, not recklessly -- put him on his skinny ass at least once instead.
That's not Al's style, and Luke and Tatum aren't great candidates to do it either. I'm not sure Tillman can, and I don't want him to be a goon.
But someone.
At least once.
Please and thank you.

If the strategy is let Mitchell have his and stay home on other shooters, it obviously worked. And it's all good. But we will need Horford moving forward ESPECIALLY if KP can't come back at any point this postseason (I'm not ruling that out). Playing him 40 minutes against the Cavs ain't it. He's not as young as Josh Hart last I checked. Try other options, even if less optimal.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,730

Post#133 » by BK_2020 » Mon May 13, 2024 1:14 am

return2glory wrote:Joe coached well but less needs to figure out a way of getting Tilman some minutes and play Al about 30-34 minutes instead of 38-40.

It's less about figuring out a way to get Tillman minutes (it's easy, you sub him in) and more about figuring out why you would want Tillman to get more minutes. Joe's not playing Horford 40 minutes because he doesn't know how to sub people in.
keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,132

Post#134 » by keevsnick1 » Mon May 13, 2024 5:28 am

BK_2020 wrote:
return2glory wrote:Joe coached well but less needs to figure out a way of getting Tilman some minutes and play Al about 30-34 minutes instead of 38-40.

It's less about figuring out a way to get Tillman minutes (it's easy, you sub him in) and more about figuring out why you would want Tillman to get more minutes. Joe's not playing Horford 40 minutes because he doesn't know how to sub people in.

Tillman and Kornet are fine, but the Celtics offense runs best on 5-out spacing and those two guys don't really give you that.
ThePigeon
Veteran
And1: 1,389

Post#135 » by ThePigeon » Mon May 13, 2024 6:17 am

keevsnick1 wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:

Tillman and Kornet are fine, but the Celtics offense runs best on 5-out spacing and those two guys don't really give you that.

Offense works good also when we have a lob threat
Kornet was good in game 1, abysmal in game 2 and none existent in game 3
Haven't seen anything from Tilman to garner more playing time

I suggest giving Brisset a chance. He plays tough, gets rebounds and plays defense. On offense he can stand in the corner and attack the rim when rushing him. He is reckless sometimes, but I think he'll play better with some starters
This way you go small but not taxing JT too much to be the lone rebounder
31to6
RealGM

Post#136 » by 31to6 » Mon May 13, 2024 3:55 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
31to6 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Definitely could look into going small esp when Mobley is out. Cavs spent some time with Dean Wade as their center. Main concern is it's even gonna be more taxing on Tatum to also protect the paint. Apart from a couple of defensive possessions, Horford was brutal the entire game. You can't switch him to contest in the perimeter and he can't protect the rim. Tatum mostly took care of rebounding. Joe didn't even try Tillman. I don't think it was Horford's fault. He was still giving his all. Joe was asking too much by playing him 39 minutes.

But someone.
At least once.
Please and thank you.

If the strategy is let Mitchell have his and stay home on other shooters, it obviously worked. And it's all good. But we will need Horford moving forward ESPECIALLY if KP can't come back at any point this postseason (I'm not ruling that out). Playing him 40 minutes against the Cavs ain't it. He's not as young as Josh Hart last I checked. Try other options, even if less optimal.

I agree. Finishing the Cavs off soon should be a priority, and it shouldn't require heavy minutes from Al. While they each bring limitations, Luke, Xavier, and Jayson at the 5 should all be good enough for the remainder of this series.

Return to Boston Celtics