ImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,166

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1241 » by keevsnick1 » Sat May 18, 2024 6:06 pm

I'd like Tyson, if for no other reason than his first name is Jaylon and the Celtics have had good luck with guys who have "Jay" in their name.

Is a 6'8 wingspan on a 6'6 player ideal? No, you'd rather have a closer to 7 foot wingspan like Brown and Tatum. But other guys have gotten by just fine with that sort of wingspan. And example is Jimmy Butler who had a 6'8 wingspan when drafted with the 30th pick in 2011.

Honestly far more important is how well you think his shot will translate/develop at the NBA level.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,225

Post#1242 » by Dogen » Sat May 18, 2024 6:09 pm

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:
jonige94 wrote:When was our last late first rounder/second rounder that we hit?

Pritchard?

Jordan Walsh. The NBA world just doesn't know it yet.

Walsh may really start to come into his own, perhaps earning minutes in the second half of the season. Hard to say. Even if he's ready, we know Joe is pretty tight with minutes for the youngsters, and Walsh might still be the youngest even if Brad drafts a player this year.
Throw it in the corner... Brown fakes, fires up a three... BANG!!! BANG!!! :D
keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,166

Post#1243 » by keevsnick1 » Sat May 18, 2024 6:13 pm

Dogen wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:

Pritchard?

Walsh may really start to come into his own, perhaps earning minutes in the second half of the season. Hard to say. Even if he's ready, we know Joe is pretty tight with minutes for the youngsters, and Walsh might still be the youngest even if Brad drafts a player this year.

It would be Really nice if Walsh, and whomever they draft this year, can end up being contributors in the next two seasons. With Horford being 38 next year and Hauser being on the last year of his cheap deal the C's are going to need young cheap talent to fill rotation holes given how expensive they project to be moving forward.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,225

Post#1244 » by Dogen » Sat May 18, 2024 6:27 pm

Random list of guys who I've looked at and for various might fit well with the Celtics. Some are possible first round sliders, others could be good value in 2nd round.

Generally, since this draft is weak at the top, I expect there will be a few teams that will draft in lotto/first round for high potential and end up busted, leaving a number of unexciting rotation guys to be had at the later picks. I wouldn't be surprised to see Chomche, for example, move up, and some decent upperclass college guy unexpectedly be there at 30.

Kevin McCullar Jr.
    Johnny Furphy
    Kel'el Ware
    Bobi Klintman
    Adem Bona
    Ulrich Chomche
    Jaylon Tyson
    Zach Edey
Throw it in the corner... Brown fakes, fires up a three... BANG!!! BANG!!! :D
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 19,282

Post#1245 » by playa-hater » Sat May 18, 2024 7:30 pm

keevsnick1 wrote:
Dogen wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:Jordan Walsh. The NBA world just doesn't know it yet.

It would be Really nice if Walsh, and whomever they draft this year, can end up being contributors in the next two seasons. With Horford being 38 next year and Hauser being on the last year of his cheap deal the C's are going to need young cheap talent to fill rotation holes given how expensive they project to be moving forward.

The thing is Hauser, Who I like a lot and think has an absolute good value for this team isn't even
getting huge minutes off the bench.. I don't see Much possibility for jordan walsh or any wing player to come to boston and actually play much...adding another wing without making a roster move would be for long term only.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,415

Post#1246 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Sat May 18, 2024 8:32 pm

Dogen wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:

Pritchard?

The "problem" with having two guys as good and durable as Brown and Tatum on the wings is that it squeezes out every one else at the position basically. Even lottery picks like Nesmith that clearly belong can't get on the floor. Hauser is such a clean fit next to Tatum that it's hard to see anyone bumping him out of the rotation as long he stays in Boston so Walsh might need to wait a while. But that's fine he needs time to get stronger and clean up his shot anyway. I could see him have a similar trajectory to Jalen Johnson where he barely plays the first two years and really emerges as a quality option in year three.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,836

Post#1247 » by brackdan70 » Sat May 18, 2024 11:17 pm

Kalela wrote:

Pritchard?

Timelord was probably the last guy who was drafted late in the first round or 2nd round who was an impactful player. He was a lottery talent who fell because of medical issues though.

You don’t consider Grant Williams or Pritchard impactful players?
Sign here
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,961

Post#1248 » by Parliament10 » Sun May 19, 2024 12:15 am

brackdan70 wrote:
Kalela wrote:

Pritchard?

Timelord was probably the last guy who was drafted late in the first round or 2nd round who was an impactful player. He was a lottery talent who fell because of medical issues though.

You don’t consider Grant Williams or Pritchard impactful players?

Timelord, Grant W. and Pritchard are all good. Payton is turning out to be the best of that bunch.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,417

Post#1249 » by djFan71 » Sun May 19, 2024 12:17 am

Dogen wrote:Random list of guys who I've looked at and for various might fit well with the Celtics. Some are possible first round sliders, others could be good value in 2nd round.

Generally, since this draft is weak at the top, I expect there will be a few teams that will draft in lotto/first round for high potential and end up busted, leaving a number of unexciting rotation guys to be had at the later picks. I wouldn't be surprised to see Chomche, for example, move up, and some decent upperclass college guy unexpectedly be there at 30.

Kevin McCullar Jr.
    Johnny Furphy
    Kel'el Ware
    Bobi Klintman
    Adem Bona
    Ulrich Chomche
    Jaylon Tyson
    Zach Edey

I like the idea of McCullar and Tyson. Both could be gone, but they feel like they could contribute sooner than other options. If we stay put, I think grab Holmes, McCullar or Tyson at 30 if any are there. I also like Hunter Sallis - we don't really have a straight up scorer off the bench.

If not, I still like the idea of trading 30 for 34 & 40 with POR. Then trading 40 or 54. Take 2 guys you can develop at the end of the bench (34) or G league (any), but don't count on contributions from them for a bit. You can look at guys above or Jaylen Bridges, Chomche, Almansa, Dunn, Dadiet, etc. Then push the remainder pick into the future.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,961

Post#1250 » by Parliament10 » Sun May 19, 2024 12:25 am

djFan71 wrote:
Dogen wrote:Random list of guys who I've looked at and for various might fit well with the Celtics. Some are possible first round sliders, others could be good value in 2nd round.

Kevin McCullar Jr.
    Johnny Furphy
    Kel'el Ware
    Bobi Klintman
    Adem Bona
    Ulrich Chomche
    Jaylon Tyson
    Zach Edey

I like the idea of McCullar and Tyson. Both could be gone, but they feel like they could contribute sooner than other options. If we stay put, I think grab Holmes, McCullar or Tyson at 30 if any are there. I also like Hunter Sallis - we don't really have a straight up scorer off the bench.

If not, I still like the idea of trading 30 for 34 & 40 with POR. Then trading 40 or 54. Take 2 guys you can develop at the end of the bench (34) or G league (any), but don't count on contributions from them for a bit. You can look at guys above or Jaylen Bridges, Chomche, Almansa, Dunn, Dadiet, etc. Then push the remainder pick into the future.

I'd Love to give up #30 for the Trail Blazers #34 & #40. Think they'd do it? They already have #7 & #14.
If the do Celtics get the Blazers 2nd Rounders, I'd be all for keeping them.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1251 » by djFan71 » Sun May 19, 2024 12:34 am

Parliament10 wrote:I'd Love to give up #30 for the Trail Blazers #34 & #40. Think they'd do it? They already have #7 & #14.

My thinking was that this at least lets the Blazers consolidate. Instead of 4 new guys, they get 3, and the 3rd is a higher pick on a guaranteed contract. They could also just decide to trade for future picks instead, but it seems at least feasible to me.

Ideally, if they agree you'd keep 34 & 40 and somehow get a future 2nd for 54. Not sure what the market for that pick would be, though, beyond not much. Top 45 protected 2nd or something???
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#1252 » by playa-hater » Sun May 19, 2024 1:33 am

Parliament10 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:

Kevin McCullar Jr.
    Johnny Furphy
    Kel'el Ware
    Bobi Klintman
    Adem Bona
    Ulrich Chomche
    Jaylon Tyson
    Zach Edey

I'd Love to give up #30 for the Trail Blazers #34 & #40. Think they'd do it? They already have #7 & #14.

Id.like to entertain the idea that maybe someone may be worth trading up for AS WELL..Scout the wbole.draft..
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,395

Post#1253 » by Hal14 » Sun May 19, 2024 3:22 am

Pritchard?

Hauser - 2021 draft.

Yeah he was UDFA but it's not really fair to count late 1st/2nd round guys but not UDFA..

We hit on Smart, then Rozier, then JB, then Tatum, then Rob in 2018, Grant in 2019 (also in 2019 hit on Strus as UDFA but then made the mistake of waiving him..), hit on Pritchard in 2020, Hauser in 2021..

Too soon to tell on the guys we've drafted since then..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
redslastlaugh
Junior
And1: 168

Post#1254 » by redslastlaugh » Sun May 19, 2024 3:34 am

Good call on Hauser. Forgot we got him on draft night, which is funny since I remember reading that article in the Globe about machinations that night leading to getting Hauser on a two way.

This is that article BTW

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2024/04/18/sports/sam-hauser-celtics/

Hal14 wrote:

Pritchard?

Hauser - 2021 draft.

Yeah he was UDFA but it's not really fair to count late 1st/2nd round guys but not UDFA..

We hit on Smart, then Rozier, then JB, then Tatum, then Rob in 2018, Grant in 2019 (also in 2019 hit on Strus as UDFA but then made the mistake of waiving him..), hit on Pritchard in 2020, Hauser in 2021..

Too soon to tell on the guys we've drafted since then..
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1255 » by djFan71 » Sun May 19, 2024 3:55 am

playa-hater wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:I like the idea of McCullar and Tyson. Both could be gone, but they feel like they could contribute sooner than other options. If we stay put, I think grab Holmes, McCullar or Tyson at 30 if any are there. I also like Hunter Sallis - we don't really have a straight up scorer off the bench.

Id.like to entertain the idea that maybe someone may be worth trading up for AS WELL..Scout the wbole.draft..

We don't have a ton to move up with, but some bigs mocked in the late teens / 20s could be interesting. Da Silva esp. I just don't know how we get there.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#1256 » by playa-hater » Sun May 19, 2024 4:50 am

djFan71 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:I'd Love to give up #30 for the Trail Blazers #34 & #40. Think they'd do it? They already have #7 & #14.

We don't have a ton to move up with, but some bigs mocked in the late teens / 20s could be interesting. Da Silva esp. I just don't know how we get there.

We have all or most of our first rders and a good amount of second roundersp coming up.

And perhaps it is better getting One Possible impactful first rounder versus 2 long-term projects in round 2..

Just saying..

Although it may be a weak draft there are always exceptions..

Who that may be I have no idea..
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1257 » by djFan71 » Sun May 19, 2024 7:08 am

playa-hater wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

We have all or most of our first rders and a good amount of second roundersp coming up.

And perhaps it is better getting One Possible impactful first rounder versus 2 long-term projects in round 2..

Just saying..

Although it may be a weak draft there are always exceptions..

Who that may be I have no idea..

I'm not disagreeing. If they see someone and can move up, great. Just gonna be tough to get too far with 30 and future 28+s and some 2nds is all.
winsomme2
Pro Prospect
And1: 520

Post#1258 » by winsomme2 » Sun May 19, 2024 11:33 am

1. Big scoring Guards with solid ball skill handling and can finish at the rim.

Carlton Carrington
Jaylon Tyson
Antonio Reeves
Tristen Newton
Ajay Mitchell

2. Agressive PFs who can rebound and guard multiple positions.

PJ Hall
Oso Ighodaro

3. Shooting wings with some ability to play inside as well.

Alex Karaban
Johnny Furphy
Baylor Sheierman
Pelle Larsson
Payton Sandfort

#30 is the perfect pick to make a promise to a guy who they like but is thinking of going back to school like Alex Karaban.

Antonio Reeves is a huge sleeper for me. Not sure why he's not considered a first rounder. Super smooth. Nice handle. And can score at all three levels. Players like him are the hardest to find right now IMO.
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,415

Post#1259 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Sun May 19, 2024 12:20 pm

French prospects raising their games during the playoffs:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,789

Post#1260 » by 165bows » Sun May 19, 2024 12:41 pm

winsomme2 wrote:1. Big scoring Guards with solid ball skill handling and can finish at the rim.

Carlton Carrington
Jaylon Tyson
Antonio Reeves
Tristen Newton
Ajay Mitchell

2. Agressive PFs who can rebound and guard multiple positions.

PJ Hall
Oso Ighodaro

3. Shooting wings with some ability to play inside as well.

Alex Karaban
Johnny Furphy
Baylor Sheierman
Pelle Larsson
Payton Sandfort

#30 is the perfect pick to make a promise to a guy who they like but is thinking of going back to school like Alex Karaban.

Antonio Reeves is a huge sleeper for me. Not sure why he's not considered a first rounder. Super smooth. Nice handle. And can score at all three levels. Players like him are the hardest to find right now IMO.

I think Hunter Sallis could be added to that list as well. Almost 6’5” with nearly 6’10” wingspan, combo guard and can play some defense and rated very well protecting the rim for a guard.

I think that’s a guy the team could try to develop into more of a full-time PG down the road.

They’ve been very clear they focus on developing guys so it makes sense seeing guys that have some basic framework that could really benefit from 1-2 areas of real growth over time.

Return to Boston Celtics