Hawks Can't Rebuild/Reboot anytime soon

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,531

Hawks Can't Rebuild/Reboot anytime soon 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:45 pm

Only way out is to dig our way. There is no help on the horizon...

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Re: Hawks Can't Rebuild/Reboot anytime soon 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:46 pm

IIRC, Spurs get Atlanta's draft picks unprotected in 2025 and 2027...and can do a pick swap in 2026.

Bottoming out is not an option in the short term.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#3 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:32 pm

wegotthabeet wrote:How are they tearing it down when they owe San Antonio two unprotected picks in 2025 & 2027 and an unprotected swap in 2026?

HMFFL wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:We might actually end up in the lottery this year...

At this point we need to be in the lottery.
This team is pathetic.

I am perplexed...
At this point, what direction do we think Hawks should go in?

Push through and hope the team figures it out?
Bottom out for one last high draft pick?
Trade vets for a quicker turnaround?
Trade Trae?
Bring back Travis Schlenk?
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,952

Post#4 » by jayu70 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:00 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
wegotthabeet wrote:How are they tearing it down when they owe San Antonio two unprotected picks in 2025 & 2027 and an unprotected swap in 2026?

HMFFL wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:We might actually end up in the lottery this year...

At this point we need to be in the lottery.
This team is pathetic.

I am perplexed...
At this point, what direction do we think Hawks should go in?

Push through and hope the team figures it out?
Bottom out for one last high draft pick?
Trade vets for a quicker turnaround?
Trade Trae?
Bring back Travis Schlenk?

Recalibrate for next season for Quin type players? (Though I'm still unclear about what that exactly mean)
I would start with a Capela trade and see if OO is really fulltime starter material.
Maybe to Knicks for Hartenstein and a 1st (Fournier filler)
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,381

Post#5 » by King Ken » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:09 pm

Get a top pick this year and see who wants to trade their star for it.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#6 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:20 pm

Just a reminder that young, inexperienced Landry Fields sold the farm in a trade that hasn't panned out and prevents us from doing a proper tear down...even if we wanted to.

And he was allowed to do so because our idiot owner and his son overruled the many senior executives who stood against the move.

Read on Twitter
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,512

Post#7 » by dms269 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:24 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Just a reminder that young, inexperienced Landry Fields sold the farm in a trade that hasn't panned out and prevents us from doing a proper tear down...even if we wanted to.

And he was allowed to do so because our idiot owner and his son overruled the many senior executives who stood against the move.

Read on Twitter
I just wish we either had an owner who spends (Blank) or a front office who cooks (AA). The Hawks are the laughing stock of pro sports in the city.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#8 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:41 pm

dms269 wrote:The Hawks are the laughing stock of pro sports in the city.

I've been following the Hawks since 1995.

It's pretty much always been the case.
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 514

Post#9 » by raleigh » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:54 pm

I'm really struggling to choose between posting an cheesy image about sunk costs and a YouTube link to Kenny Rogers singing "The Gambler."

Tough choices these days.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#10 » by jayu70 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:36 pm

raleigh wrote:I'm really struggling to choose between posting an cheesy image about sunk costs and a YouTube link to Kenny Rogers singing "The Gambler."

Tough choices these days.

Why not both? :D
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#11 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:50 pm

Should the Hawks Blow It Up?

Hawks fans, I can understand if you’re raging after reading my Spurs hypothetical. And if you scrolled past it, the TL;DR is: “The Spurs should try to wait to trade for Trae Young instead of trading for Dejounte Murray right now, because the Hawks are on the verge of imploding.”

Sorry, but that’s the reality of Atlanta’s situation: This is a franchise on a fast track toward a lot of big changes. I’m hesitant to say the Hawks should blow it up because after this year, the Hawks don’t have the rights to their own first-round picks until 2028. It’s unclear how strong of a market Trae would even have. Teams are hesitant to acquire Zach LaVine because of his enormous salary, and the same goes for Pascal Siakam, who will demand a massive contract this summer. Young is in the second year of a five-year, $215 million deal. Not many teams even need point guards. So what would the market really be: The Bulls, Lakers, Magic, Nets, or Wizards would enter the bidding. Maybe? But only San Antonio can send the Hawks back their own picks: firsts in 2025 and 2027 with the swap in 2026. That’d allow the Hawks to bottom out with their own draft picks in back-to-back draft classes featuring franchise-changing prospects (headlined by Cooper Flagg in 2025 and Cam Boozer and AJ Dybantsa in 2026). No other team can offer the Hawks the same luxury.

I wouldn’t expect Young and the Hawks to seek a trade ahead of next month’s deadline. It’s too soon. Young and Hawks head coach Quin Snyder get along great, and it’s not as if the team isn’t without any silver linings, with Johnson blossoming into a two-way force. The focus is on flipping Murray, accumulating assets, and seeing where they land—first following the deadline, and then in the draft. Young is dealing with a left calf contusion, so if the team keeps dropping games, maybe it’ll even decide to sit him to tank games to improve its lottery odds. The 2024 class lacks a no-brainer star, but a top pick would help grease a trade to bolster the team around Young. If Atlanta’s future doesn’t look promising soon, though, then the Hawks and Young may mutually decide it’s for the best to part ways.
The Ringer
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,381

Post#12 » by King Ken » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:41 pm

I hate this franchise from top down and always have.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 982

Post#13 » by Geaux_Hawks » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:13 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Should the Hawks Blow It Up?

Hawks fans, I can understand if you’re raging after reading my Spurs hypothetical. And if you scrolled past it, the TL;DR is: “The Spurs should try to wait to trade for Trae Young instead of trading for Dejounte Murray right now, because the Hawks are on the verge of imploding.”

Sorry, but that’s the reality of Atlanta’s situation: This is a franchise on a fast track toward a lot of big changes. I’m hesitant to say the Hawks should blow it up because after this year, the Hawks don’t have the rights to their own first-round picks until 2028. It’s unclear how strong of a market Trae would even have. Teams are hesitant to acquire Zach LaVine because of his enormous salary, and the same goes for Pascal Siakam, who will demand a massive contract this summer. Young is in the second year of a five-year, $215 million deal. Not many teams even need point guards. So what would the market really be: The Bulls, Lakers, Magic, Nets, or Wizards would enter the bidding. Maybe? But only San Antonio can send the Hawks back their own picks: firsts in 2025 and 2027 with the swap in 2026. That’d allow the Hawks to bottom out with their own draft picks in back-to-back draft classes featuring franchise-changing prospects (headlined by Cooper Flagg in 2025 and Cam Boozer and AJ Dybantsa in 2026). No other team can offer the Hawks the same luxury.

I wouldn’t expect Young and the Hawks to seek a trade ahead of next month’s deadline. It’s too soon. Young and Hawks head coach Quin Snyder get along great, and it’s not as if the team isn’t without any silver linings, with Johnson blossoming into a two-way force. The focus is on flipping Murray, accumulating assets, and seeing where they land—first following the deadline, and then in the draft. Young is dealing with a left calf contusion, so if the team keeps dropping games, maybe it’ll even decide to sit him to tank games to improve its lottery odds. The 2024 class lacks a no-brainer star, but a top pick would help grease a trade to bolster the team around Young. If Atlanta’s future doesn’t look promising soon, though, then the Hawks and Young may mutually decide it’s for the best to part ways.
The Ringer

The more I think about it, the more I think gutting the vets from this team to the highest bidders sounds like the best option. I say that because essentially with JJ rising now, if we landed a top 3ish prospect and maybe had the assets to get another top 10ish prospect, it might give us a chance to use the rest of 2023 and the entirety of 2024 as a developmental period to allow Snyder to really build and develop the team in his eye.

The presumption is, there's some legit size at different positions, including some highly rated center prospects in this draft. Where there's no clear cut, guaranteed cornerstones, there's still plenty of upside. Adding a Alex Sarr type upside might pay dividends later down the road. Maybe it's adding a Donovan Clingan, who might not have Sarr's upside, but could potentially be a DPOY candidate. Risacher and Salaun could be apart of the next wave of international prospects that dominate the league(France has been churning out a lot of good prospects btw). Topic possibly falls. Just a lot of potential everywhere.

I understand we get nothing from this in the 2025 draft, but ultimately, we're going nowhere at this rate and i'd rather see Snyder get a chance to actually have a say in who he would like to bring in. If nothing else, we position ourselves for the 2025 free agent class. Maybe a young star becomes available via trade before then. In the end, if nothing materialize from doing this, well it's not like it was much of anything else out there to prevent us from giving SA top picks in multiple drafts other than never making the trade for DJM.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,061

Post#14 » by HMFFL » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:51 am

dms269 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Just a reminder that young, inexperienced Landry Fields sold the farm in a trade that hasn't panned out and prevents us from doing a proper tear down...even if we wanted to.

Read on Twitter
I just wish we either had an owner who spends (Blank) or a front office who cooks (AA). The Hawks are the laughing stock of pro sports in the city.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
Yes, I look over this a few days go, and I believe we're viewed as a joke at this point. Teams like the Kings have built s contender we're just sitting on our hands looking lost.

We went to the ECF and needed to add size, but we added DJ, which I was excited about, but we never added size. We dump John Collins, which was years in the making, and we give Hunter $20m per sesson.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#15 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Mar 4, 2024 6:24 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#16 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:29 pm

At this point, I'm onboard with any number of directions the team can pursue.

But i have an observation.

The team should not trade Trae to SAS for our own draft picks AND then keep Dejounte in a bid to remain competitive.

Doing so would essentially just be trading Trae for middling picks in the 13-20 range. If we trade Trae for our own picks...it needs to be the precursor to a full on rebuild so we can be in this Cooper Flagg sweepstake.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#17 » by jayu70 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:32 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:At this point, I'm onboard with any number of directions the team can pursue.

But i have an observation.

The team should not trade Trae to SAS for our own draft picks AND then keep Dejounte in a bid to remain competitive.

Doing so would essentially just be trading Trae for middling picks in the 13-20 range. If we trade Trae for our own picks...it needs to be the precursor to a full on rebuild so we can be in this Cooper Flagg sweepstake.

This.
It's a stupid concept.
I wonder who started this premise. :nonono:
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#18 » by tbhawksfan1 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:19 pm

2 or 3 FRP and a young player or 2 for Trae
1 or 2 FRP and a young player for Murray
A FRP for BB
Some SRPs for Hunter / Capela maybe FRP if we take a bad contract

Run with Kobe / AJ / JJ / Mo Gay / Filipowski and the young players acquired in trade next year and rebuild with our high picks looks like a very good foundation to a rebuild

Return to Atlanta Hawks