ImageImage

Which personnel do we think Quin will keep next season?

Moderators: HMFFL, dms269, Jamaaliver

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,629

Re: Which personnel do we think Quin will keep next season? 

Post#21 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:44 pm

Jeff Schultz wrote:Final days of Hawks’ season less about playoffs than determining who to keep

Welcome to the Hawks’ uncertain future. The offseason likely will prove to be more fascinating than anything that happens over the next few weeks. The coach shouldn’t be graded on his record this season.

This isn’t about skill. This is about mindset.

The focus by some on playoff seeding is understandable but let’s be real: The Hawks don’t project as a postseason threat even if they do get in. So it follows the rest of this mostly miserable season is less about determining where they finish in the East than identifying who will be here next season.

The remaining seven-plus games of this season aren’t just about who can play the way Snyder wants to play. They’re about who wants to play the coach’s system. Who will sacrifice on offense? Who will get back in transition? Who will fight through screens? Who can keep his head in crucial minutes and not play hero ball?

I spoke to Snyder for a few minutes alone after the Pacers’ game.

It’s clear he likes Murray, so factor that in when considering whether the team will/can extend the guard beyond next season when he becomes a free agent. It’s clear he likes Bogdan Bogdanovic, or the front office would not have signed him to a significant contract extension of three years plus an option (even if committing long-term to a soon-to-be-31-year-old with a problematic knee seems like a suspect decision). It was clear after the win over Indianapolis he loves having reserves like Aaron Holiday, A.J. Griffin and Saddiq Bey at his disposal. He said of Holiday, “Those are the guys you feel grateful to have an opportunity to coach.”
The Athletic
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#22 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:44 pm

If QS has to choose one or the other, he obviously goes for the younger, cheaper model. Right?

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#23 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:11 pm

Which Players Should Be Untouchable This Offseason?

Atlanta Hawks

Untouchable: Onyeka Okongwu, Trae Young

With the Atlanta Hawks trending toward a second consecutive play-in tournament appearance, you could make an argument that no one deserves untouchable status. That feels extreme.

Young essentially guarantees his team a top-10 offense. Okongwu, who turned only 22 in December, has the Hawks playing like a top-10 defense when he hits the hardwood (his 112.2 defensive rating would rank tied for seventh as a team). If they aren't cornerstone talents already, they have strongly hinted at the possibility of becoming them sooner than later.

Otherwise, though, this roster could be up for grabs in the right deal. Dejounte Murray hasn't dramatically impacted the defense and seems an imperfect offensive fit with Young. Clint Capela is solid but replaceable. John Collins lives on the trade block. De'Andre Hunter would be hard to get in most deals, but he wouldn't stand in the way of a blockbuster.
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#24 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:57 pm

Do we think John is more or less likely to be moved now that Quin is here?

Read on Twitter

Offseason Priorities for NBA's Most Disappointing Teams

Atlanta Hawks: Make the John Collins Trade

Yep, it's time to trade John Collins.

The forces pushing Atlanta to move the struggling power forward will only intensify...the Hawks' recent transactions have basically made keeping him around financially untenable.

Dejounte Murray cost Atlanta a mint to acquire, and he'll hit unrestricted free agency in the summer of 2024. Teams don't tend to surrender multiple first-rounders for rentals, and removing Collins' remaining $78.5 million over the next three years could help ensure the necessary cash will be available to pay Murray. Don't forget deadline acquisition Saddiq Bey's extension eligibility this summer, either.

It's not easy to offload a salary like Collins', particularly when his value is as low as it's been in years. But a handful of teams—the Indiana Pacers, Houston Rockets and Utah Jazz come to mind—have the flexibility to take Collins into space with draft capital attached. Hopefully, Collins' status as a quality starter as recently as 2021-22 will keep the Hawks from having to include too many sweeteners in a package sending him out.

With Collins gone, the Hawks can pivot to smaller looks with Bey or AJ Griffin joining De'Andre Hunter at the forward spots. Clint Capela can still anchor the middle, and playing more wings instead of Collins could help the Hawks fix their 23rd-ranked three-point accuracy rate. Much has gone wrong for Atlanta, but a lot of the difference between this year and last can be traced to its shooting woes. The Hawks were No. 3 in three-point percentage in 2021-22.

Better coaching, improved performance from Trae Young and another year of chemistry building should help Atlanta right the ship. But moving Collins to clear space and change the lineup construction should be the first order of business.
Bleacher Report
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,983

Post#25 » by jayu70 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:57 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Do we think John is more or less likely to be moved now that Quin is here?

Rumors were floating around that Korver was against trading JC, he has been spending ample time with him working on his 3pt shooting. For March JC is shooting 36.7% from 3
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#26 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Apr 2, 2023 3:30 pm

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#27 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:15 pm

Not surprising given how much has occurred....

The Hawks Have Changed Everything

With the offseason approaching, league sources say the Hawks’ front office has the green light from ownership to do whatever it wants to with the roster, which includes considering trade opportunities involving All-Star point guard Trae Young.

League sources say during months of negotiations in the lead-up to his February hiring, Snyder demanded—and now wields—significant influence over personnel decisions. Though Atlanta’s front-office dynamic is described as a collaborative effort, many high-level decision-makers from opposing teams believe that it’s now Snyder who has the final say.
The Ringer
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Post#28 » by babyjax13 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:25 pm

Utah was desperate to get Murray because Snyder loved him. Maybe things change but I think he is one of your keepers. He loves 4s that can shoot and dribble, e.g. loved Crowder and Bogdanovic. Knows how to use pnrs to open up things, has a treatise on screens he wrote while coaching overseas. I think Collins could be the odd man out. He also loves small forwards that can initiate the offense, see Hayward and Ingles. This might also mean Hunter is a poor fit. But with Murray, may be less of an issue.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,983

Post#29 » by jayu70 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:37 pm

babyjax13 wrote:Utah was desperate to get Murray because Snyder loved him. Maybe things change but I think he is one of your keepers. He loves 4s that can shoot and dribble, e.g. loved Crowder and Bogdanovic. Knows how to use pnrs to open up things, has a treatise on screens he wrote while coaching overseas. I think Collins could be the odd man out. He also loves small forwards that can initiate the offense, see Hayward and Ingles. This might also mean Hunter is a poor fit. But with Murray, may be less of an issue.

Inside Rumor sources say Quin loves Trae, Murray, Bogi and Onyeka. TIFWIW.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,161

Post#30 » by HMFFL » Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:47 am

jayu70 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Utah was desperate to get Murray because Snyder loved him. Maybe things change but I think he is one of your keepers. He loves 4s that can shoot and dribble, e.g. loved Crowder and Bogdanovic. Knows how to use pnrs to open up things, has a treatise on screens he wrote while coaching overseas. I think Collins could be the odd man out. He also loves small forwards that can initiate the offense, see Hayward and Ingles. This might also mean Hunter is a poor fit. But with Murray, may be less of an issue.

How badly do we need OO to develop three point range? He's going to be paid greatly very soon and not having range does concern me.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Post#31 » by babyjax13 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:01 am

jayu70 wrote:

I'm not surprised about Bogi, he loves those sparkplug scorers off the bench and thinks they are an undervalued asset (I agree). Also not surprised about Onyeka or Trae. Think that points to the guys people are saying being the possible movers: Collins, Hunter, also Capella.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#32 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:26 pm

Mind-blowing difference!!!

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#33 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:47 pm

I think it's reasonable that at least one of the players from this list end up on the Hawks roster next season.

My guess: Royce O'Neal.

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#34 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:27 pm

Should we make a run at DG next season?

Should we go for Klay while we're at it?

Read on Twitter
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,050

Post#35 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:31 am

Jamaaliver wrote:Should we make a run at DG next season?

Should we go for Klay while we're at it?

Read on Twitter

Over / under on how long before Drey would knock Trae TF out during practice?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#36 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:04 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:Over / under on how long before Drey would knock Trae TF out during practice?

Hey. Draymond Green is a champion. A leader. A showman.

He'd wait until at least the first game and then record a podcast about it in the locker room.

:box:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#37 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:35 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:Here is what i wrote back on 2021.....

I mean, if we're going back to summer 2021...

There were some obvious concerns even then.

Jamaaliver wrote:I'm sorry, but overpaying mediocre players is not what good organizations do. It doesn't get us closer to a title. It locks us into a core that isn't good enough.

Our secondary players couldn't win a game against a Giannis-less Bucks team...because they weren't good enough.

I'm all for paying top money to top players. But mediocre/secondary players aren't worth overpaying for.

We're not talking about blowing up a roster.

We're talking aggressively looking to improve.

Kevin Huerter and John Collins are good, solid players. But it's clear they aren't the type of players who can help carry us to a championship.

.....But this team isn’t good enough to beat a wounded Milwaukee team and is unlikely to even get past Brooklyn.

TL;DR — Trae’s great. But the rest of these bums need to be upgraded.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#38 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:32 pm

Will Trae survive the purge this summer?

Read on Twitter
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,050

Post#39 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:43 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Will Trae survive the purge this summer?

Read on Twitter

I don't really care as long as we win the trade. Heat broke Trae...
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#40 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:40 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks