ImageImage

2024 Draft Prospect Spotlight -- Kyle Filipowski

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,381

Re: 2024 Draft Prospect Spotlight -- Kyle Filipowski 

Post#41 » by King Ken » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:09 am

While I don't see him as a center at all, I love Flip man. I just love how he sees the game, I love the fact that he's a 7ft 4, I love he's 248-250 range, I just love his game. I like him so much more than others in this class and it's not close. Flip knows how to play at this level. Then again, I wanted him last year for the Hawks as a backup to what would either be JJ or Bey, which we all now know to be JJ.

I don't see him as an all star or anything special. He just plays the game the way it's supposed to be played. His passing is lethal. To me, he's the perfect 5th option PF in the modern NBA once he gets more experience in the NBA. Defensively, I do think he needs to play with a true 5. I think Charlotte would be the perfect fit. He and Mark Williams would be nice.

I know some people will say he's too rich to be a top 5-10 pick but why not? Everyone else is just a massive risk and Charlotte doesn't have that need right now. They need ready-made players.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,531

Post#42 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:42 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#43 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:00 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#44 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:59 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#45 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:25 pm

Kyle Filipowski Scouting Report

Position: C/PF
Size: 7'0", 245 lbs
Draft ceiling: Top 10
Draft floor: Mid First Round

Kyle Filipowski could have been a one-and-done first-rounder last year, but he returned to Duke and wound up improving his NBA draft stock.

As a sophomore, he was the Blue Devils' clear No. 1 option and a player whom opponents had to game-plan for. But his role will change as he moves from college to the NBA, where he'll be more of a complementary piece.

Filipowski sharpened and expanded specific skills that should allow him to fit in easier in the NBA, most notably his shooting, passing and defense. He's now the favorite to be the first NCAA big man selected in June.

However, scouts continue to debate Filipowski's ceiling and whether it maxes out at frontcourt reserve, starting role player or borderline star.

Improvements to some keys skills has Filipowski looking like a better NBA fit and safer pick. His potential to play minutes at the 4 and 5 should mean more suitors for the 7-footer.

It still seems like a stretch for him to go in the top five. But once the younger, higher-upside prospects are off the board, Filipowski should start generating consideration in the mid-to-late lottery.

It's possible that more teams pass on him due to questions about his shooting legitimacy (given his struggles from the free-throw line), ability to create and defense in rim protection. But it's difficult to picture a free-fall for a 7-footer who makes a three-pointer per game, has an excellent assist rate, handles the ball in the open floor and takes over games for one of the nation's top programs.

Worst-case scenario, he's a backup big who'll still stand out due to his offensive versatility.

NBA Role and Pro Comparisons
Spoiler:
Projected role: Stretch, pick-and-roll/pop big

Pro comparions:
Santi Aldama, Moritz Wagner, Kelly Olynyk

While there was hope last year that Filipowski would mirror a big, perimeter scorer like Utah Jazz forward Lauri Markkanen, his shot creation and shot-making aren't as fluid. He's closer to Memphis Grizzlies big man Santi Aldama, who plays more of a spot-up and pick-and-roll/pop role with his shooting range, size and skill level.

Filipowski won't spend as much time dominating around the basket in the NBA like he does at Duke, especially if he's playing forward next to a center.

Filipowski will ultimately be used and valued most for his ability to initiate fast breaks with his handle, stretch the floor and pass out of the post.
Physical Tools and Athleticism
Spoiler:

At 7'0" and 248 pounds, Filipowski has the size and strength of an NBA center. However, he doesn't have the requisite length, as he last measured a rare negative wingspan for a big. That figures to affect him more around the basket and less away from it.

Athletically, Filipowski is more nimble than explosive. He can change directions with the ball and get to spots. Defensively, he's showed off some impressive foot speed containing in space.

Offensively, he could struggle to separate from shot-blockers if he doesn't have a step on them or momentum. But he did have more than 20 dunks during the regular season, and with a runway, Filipowski has flashed some athletic pop on his finishes.
Signature Strengths
Spoiler:
Ball-handling and passing for a big

While Filipowski didn't drastically increase his scoring volume this year, more high-level passing reads have made him a more effective offensive player. He's become more of a multidimensional threat from the post with his vision and advantageous height.

He's shown off some playmaking as well, dropping off live-dribble passes after attacking a closeout.

Shooting potential

Filipowski made more threes this year despite attempting them at roughly the same rate as last season. He's had a comfortable, balanced shot dating back to high school, mostly shooting off the catch.

Playing the 4, he'll spend extended time spacing the floor from the wings and pick-and-popping. His consistency hasn't fully been there, but the threat is.

Paint scoring

Filipowski finished with more success and physicality around the basket this year. He can use his footwork and strength to carve out space and layup angles from below the rim.

Filipowski is a tough cover from the short corners with his ability to rip and go in either direction. With his back to the basket, he can spin, drop-step or pivot into a high-percentage shot.

Filipowski's limited explosiveness takes away some opportunities from him, but he should still be an option to feed around the key.
Areas for Improvement
Spoiler:
Creation upside

Against power forwards, Filipowski could have trouble gaining a step or creating separation in face-up situations. He has a higher center of gravity and lacks blow-by burst or explosion.

Filipowski could be a threat to create for himself around the post, but his future team isn't likely to consistently feature him there throughout games.

Free throws

Filipowski's free-throw percentage dipped below 70 percent for most of the season. While that means leaving points on the board for a player who'll take plenty of contact inside, it's also raised some questions about the legitimacy of his three-point shooting outlook and improved percentage.

Defensive upside

For a 7-footer, Filipowski did not block shots at a high rate. Lacking length and verticality, he doesn't project as a major asset in rim protection.

Filipowski did show promising signs of perimeter foot speed, but realistically, he won't be locking down any forwards. He just needs to avoid being a liability in space.
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#46 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:24 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#47 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:20 pm

Read on Twitter
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#48 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:06 pm

I really want the Hawks to go big. So tired of 6'10" being our tallest player and under-sized at nearly every position

If we had SAC pick I would seriously consider Fili and Edey. I think that Fili can play some stretch PF

Trae / Murray* / JJ / Fili / Edey and size problem solved

* Would also look to flip Muuray to a PG needy team for a real SG with better size
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#49 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:36 pm

ImageImage
ImageImage
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#50 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:49 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#51 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:28 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 514

Post#52 » by raleigh » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:58 pm

Don't love him at 10 but do think he has one of the highest floors in the draft.

Return to Atlanta Hawks