ImageImage

What would it take to get Ben Simmons?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,201

Re: What would it take to get Ben Simmons? 

Post#81 » by HMFFL » Sun Jan 9, 2022 2:22 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:Morey treats Simmons like he has pre melt down value. He's not reading the room, I don't expect anything to get resolved by the deadline. They likely wait it out into the off season.
Keep in mind that if Philly waits until the off-season it means they're not committed to winning a championship this season. That's not going to be perceived well by Joel Embiid, the rest of the players, or the fans.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
GutUNC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,048

Post#82 » by GutUNC » Sun Jan 9, 2022 3:37 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
GutUNC wrote:Why would a rebuilding team have any interest in Gallinari?

Oh boy. We keep answering the same question over and over again...

Gallinari would be included as a matching salary for a high salaried player. His contract is NOT fully guaranteed next season, allowing us to match salaries in trade and a rebuilding team to move a veteran player this year and get salary cap relief next year

Sorry to be such a burden, but you still haven't answered the question. I realize he's a salary match for Atlanta but rebuilding team X isn't going to eat Gallinari and trade a player like Grant/White just to get Okongwu. You've basically built a glass house to ask other teams pay for Atlanta to get Simmons for expendable pieces.
GDTBATH
GutUNC
Assistant Coach

Post#83 » by GutUNC » Sun Jan 9, 2022 3:38 pm

HMFFL wrote:
leo7 wrote:Ben Simmons small ball 5? What would the starting line up be?

Trae
???
Hunter (This guy needs to stay healthy)
Collins
Simmons
I thought Simmons wasn't willing to play a large amount of minutes at the 5?

You shouldn't want him to play the 5 anyway. It's the one position he doesn't defend well and units with Simmons at the 5 get destroyed on the glass.
GDTBATH
GutUNC
Assistant Coach

Post#84 » by GutUNC » Sun Jan 9, 2022 3:44 pm

HMFFL wrote:
CP War Hawks wrote:Morey treats Simmons like he has pre melt down value. He's not reading the room, I don't expect anything to get resolved by the deadline. They likely wait it out into the off season.
Keep in mind that if Philly waits until the off-season it means they're not committed to winning a championship this season. That's not going to be perceived well by Joel Embiid, the rest of the players, or the fans.

If the alternative is Simmons for another teams expendable pieces their ability to win a 2022 championship isn't changing, a fact that the fans understand and Embiid seems fine with that since he and Morey have been on the same page through this Simmons nonsense.

Morey certainly seems to have set the bar high for negotiation purposes but the idea that he has no choice but to make *some* deal now is fallacy. This is the last trade chip to mold the team into a contender so waiting until the offseason makes sense if it's necessary.
GDTBATH
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,693

Post#85 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jan 9, 2022 4:03 pm

CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,443

Post#86 » by CP War Hawks » Sun Jan 9, 2022 5:43 pm

HMFFL wrote:

Morey has probably consulted with JE on how he plans to deal Simmons. He's getting his max contract anyways. The reports of GMs being frustrated by trade talks and Morey wanting Simmons to play to increase his value, nothing has changed from last summer.

Atleast this summer, Huerter and Capela can be traded. The draft is the best time to offload him for premium value whatever team is desperate enough to satisfy Morey.
D21
Lead Assistant
And1: 666

Post#87 » by D21 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:44 am

First, a team making a big change in the middle of the season rarely gets benefits this season.
For PHI, it's different, they have all to win to a trade, and nothing to loose compared to now. Any package would make them better, but that's why they can wait to get the best available, even if in the end it may be less than what they thought.

Second, it's easy to see that Simmons fits best with a shooting C, like better fitting with MIN than ATL. For ATL, it would certainly mean trading Capela, because as of now, the summer rumors seem to match reality here :Schlenk not wanting to offer a lot because in this roster, Simmons would be use as swiss knife, filling any situation where is a better matchup than another player, and this differently every game. But is it possible to have a 40M guy doing it ? In some years with a way higher Salary Cap, maybe, but now...

We have two C that don't shoot 3pts, so we need a lot of shooter around, or all the pressure will be on Trae.
If we do a trade of Bogdanovic+Huerter+Reddish as some may think, there are more chance that ATL would not be better than now, while PHI would 100% be better as it's three players are not stars but can shoot 3pts, run an offense (Bogdanovic), create his shot (Huerter) and potential to be a very good wing defender in Reddish.
And then, imagine if they face in playoffs... while in the hell would ATL do such a trade ?

I also don't forget that Simmons is a bit overrated on defense, in the sense that he was not a master on defense these 4 years he played. And he didn't stop Trae last season as everybody was thinking.
His 1st season was perfect, team and individual defense, but after, I don't know if he got a Kardashian syndrome dating Jenner in his second season (at this moment, only Booker seems to not be touched by that :-) ), but it ended with PHI being at -2pts On/Off court (+12.4 for Embiid...) with Simmons. His individual defense was also lower with direct opponent PER going from 13 to 17.
3rd season was the same as the 2nd.
And at least, last season, he was good again, but less than his first season : 18PER for direct opponents but +6.6 On/Off court, compared to 13PER for opponent and +7.7 On/Off in the 1st season.
More important, having a good season didn't make him having the same impact once in playoffs.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#88 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:26 pm

Shams Charania wrote:Update on Ben Simmons trade talks, frustrated Hawks star John Collins a possible match?

The Hawks are an emerging potential landing spot for Simmons, whose Defensive Player of the Year-caliber play would surely elevate one of the league’s bottom five defenses. In scanning the Hawks’ roster, it’s obvious John Collins — who signed a five-year, $125 million deal in restricted free agency last offseason — and Cam Reddish are among the players who could acquiesce a package for Simmons. It’s unclear whether the Hawks are ready to put such a proposal on the table after making a run to the Eastern Conference finals a season ago.
The Athletic
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#89 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:20 am

NBA Rumors Binge: A Desperate Ben Simmons Suitor Emerges

On Friday, Marc Stein noted, "Keep an eye on Atlanta as an emerging suitor for [Philadelphia 76ers'] Ben Simmons."

The Hawks would need to send out at least $26.3 million in outgoing contracts to match Simmons' $33 million salary...Atlanta can get most of the way there with either John Collins ($23 million) or Danilo Gallinari ($20.5 million).

Atlanta can also offer multiple first-round picks (if needed) and prospects like Cam Reddish, De'Andre Hunter and/or Onyeka Okongwu. Would the Sixers view Collins as a forward who can play alongside All-Star center Joel Embiid? Or would Philadelphia prefer the financial flexibility in Gallinari's contract and as many of the Hawks' youthful considerations as possible? Or would the Hawks need a third team willing to offer something substantial to the 76ers for a bounty from Atlanta?

The answers may not be apparent until next month's deadline, but the Hawks would be making a substantial financial commitment if they were able to add Simmons while keeping Collins.

If the Hawks trade Collins for Simmons and keep Gallinari (to waive and stretch his $5 million 2022-23 salary over three years), that total drops to five players at a heavy but more reasonable $119 million. That difference suggests the Hawks would prioritize moving Collins for Simmons unless the franchise is suddenly willing to dive deep into luxury taxes.
Bleacher Report
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#90 » by 51X3RF4N » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:01 am

Would y'all do Simmons, Harris, Shake for Collins, Gallo, and Bogs?

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 12,011

Post#91 » by jayu70 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:37 am

51X3RF4N wrote:Would y'all do Simmons, Harris, Shake for Collins, Gallo, and Bogs?

No. Have zero interest in Harris as do the Hawks.
Spears also reported that the Hawks had interest in a trade for Simmons until the 76ers broached the possibility of including Harris. 
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#92 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:40 am

51X3RF4N wrote:Would y'all do Simmons, Harris, Shake for Collins, Gallo, and Bogs?

NONE of THOSE THREE Hawks PLAYERS are CONSIDERED UNTOUCHABLE.

But taking back both Simmons's and Harris's contracts would be difficult to justify and maneuver around in the future.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#93 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:22 pm

saloonyk8
Rookie
And1: 130

Post#94 » by saloonyk8 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:39 pm

Lol KOC deal is hilariously similar to the one I made in ESPN trade machine in other group

Bogi, Delon, Gallo, Thad to Sixers

Simmons, McDermott, D White to Hawks

Tobias, Reddish, Jalen Johnson, and 2 FRP to Spurs

May have to give DAndre Hunter to Sixers. Numbers won't work with KVON
Commit to the process
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#95 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:34 am

Woj: Hawks Won't Take Tobias Harris Back in Ben Simmons Trade with 76ers

The Atlanta Hawks may have interest in Ben Simmons, but they won't take back another big contract from the Philadelphia 76ers to make a potential deal happen.

Per ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski (starts at 1:05 mark), the Hawks wouldn't take Tobias Harris in a trade from the Sixers involving Simmons:

Bleacher Report
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,201

Post#96 » by HMFFL » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:01 am

It's hard to justify adding that amount of salary in one trade. I'd prefer Simmons over Harris. Harris to me is like Shareef Abdur-Rahim when he played for Atlanta, both are very consistent, but a third option at best on a true contender.

D21
Lead Assistant
And1: 666

Post#97 » by D21 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:10 am

saloonyk8 wrote:Lol KOC deal is hilariously similar to the one I made in ESPN trade machine in other group

Bogi, Delon, Gallo, Thad to Sixers

Simmons, McDermott, D White to Hawks

Tobias, Reddish, Jalen Johnson, and 2 FRP to Spurs

May have to give DAndre Hunter to Sixers. Numbers won't work with KVON

Delon, Bogi, Reddish, Hunter, Gallo, Johnson who has potential and 2 1st rnd picks ? To get Simmons, McDermott and White... and play with Simmons and Capela/Okongwu as non 3pts shooters... I bet $100 that they become a worst team than now

Seriously, they have more chance to get better by trading each of them for other players that may fit, in separate deals or a big deal without Simmons. Doing this is exactly paying the price that Morey want the other team to pay

You can even trade each of Bogi, Reddish, Hunter and Johnson for a 1st rnd pick : you get 4 picks, instead of loosing 2 in this trade. It's a bit like Simmons is costing us 6 1st rnd pick with this trade to get another point of view.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#98 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:54 pm

A Ben Simmons based mailbag from The Athletic:

Chris Kirchner wrote:Ben Simmons’ fit in Atlanta

How I look at Simmons is this: He’s vastly underrated now because of his performance in the playoffs against Atlanta. Was he bad and a liability in that series? Yes! Is he now an awful player who has no value? No!

Simmons is one of the best, if not the best, perimeter defender in the NBA. He can comfortably guard four positions, and if he’s fully locked-in and bought-in, I think he can guard fives; however, rim protection is not his best skill right now. When he’s locked-in on the perimeter, he can swallow up anyone in front of him because of how long and quick he is. There’s no doubt Simmons would elevate the Hawks’ defense.

As of Jan. 13, the Sixers’ asking price for Simmons is quite high; they’re looking for a hefty haul. ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported on television that John Collins doesn’t move the needle for Philadelphia. Philly has no reason to lower the ask right now, because we’re still a month away from the deadline. My guess is the price will likely go down in the hours leading up to the deadline. I find it hard to believe the Sixers are fine getting nothing out of Simmons while Joel Embiid is in the prime of his career. Simmons doesn’t seem like he’s going to change his mind on playing for the Sixers again, so it would be smart to get a return that makes sense, even if it’s not a star-level acquisition.

So my answer is Simmons is someone I certainly would be interested in, but only for a price that isn’t exorbitant. Right now, it’s exorbitant, so I would hold off. I do think it would make sense to explore consolidation trades in the offseason when everyone is available to be moved.

...are [the Hawks] going to go all-in and trade, like, three core guys for Simmons? No, that’s not happening — unless the team just tanks for the next several weeks and it’s apparent it needs to transform all of the roster.

Chris Kirchner wrote:If a Simmons deal were to happen, Clint Capela would likely have to be moved in the offseason. I can’t see it working where the Hawks would have two non-shooters on the floor at the same time. I firmly believe Capela’s fit should not be a strong consideration when thinking about this move. Any massive move, the first thought has to be about how this player fits with Young. And getting a truly elite defender with that size who can create as well as Simmons does would be a great fit.

As far as Simmons going to a team where he wouldn’t play point guard, that’s something the Hawks would have to figure out during trade conversations. If Simmons is against playing without the ball, the Hawks likely wouldn’t do this deal.

The best roster construction with a team that has Simmons on the floor is a point guard who is an excellent creator and offensive force like Young is and three others who can shoot well from the perimeter. Simmons has never played with someone as creative offensively as Young is, so I would be fascinated to see how he looks in more of an off-ball role. But the key with Simmons is playing him alongside four shooters.

Having two special creators on the floor at the same time is never a bad thing. It doesn’t matter if Simmons can’t shoot, because the Hawks have numerous players on the roster, like Young, who can. The Hawks would also be devastating in transition if they had Young and Simmons, two of the best transition players, share the floor. Simmons’ defensive abilities can cover for Young’s deficiencies on that end. If we’re solely looking at this in a vacuum, having one of the best offensive players paired with one of the best defenders is a good thing.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#99 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:51 pm

Most Intriguing Landing Spots for NBA's Top Trade Targets

Ben Simmons to the Atlanta Hawks

No team appears desperate enough to meet the Philadelphia 76ers' demands for Ben Simmons, and none of these nothing-new-to-see-here reports hint at Daryl Morey and Co. meaningfully lowering their demands. There doesn't even seem to be a scenario in which a deal gets done without third and fourth teams.

Perhaps the Atlanta Hawks are an exception. The Athletic's Shams Charania recently inserted them into the "Hey, maybe it's possible?" fray, but they've otherwise been scantly mentioned as Simmons suitors. (Props to Basketball News' Nekias Duncan for pre-boarding this train.)

Dire times call for drastic measures. The Hawks are there. They need defensive lifeblood beyond Clint Capela and De'Andre "Will he stay healthy?" Hunter. Simmons is among the league's most versatile stoppers, someone who can effectively guard nearly every other team's top option.

Playing him alongside Trae Young could get messy. He needs the ball. That's not unworkable. The Hawks can try having him screen when he and Young are on the floor without Capela, and he's a playmaking engine for Trae-less lineups. Moving Young off the ball within certain possessions is also worth exploring.

John Collins has to headline any package. That's not a bad baseline haul for Philly. Collins has proved himself universally scalable on offense; he stretches defenses, sets picks, can pop or dive, catches lobs and even has a little floor game. The Sixers can build a dynamite offense around him and Joel Embiid.

Additional compensation gets tricky. Does Philly demand Hunter? Would Atlanta balk? The Hawks could use Bogdan Bogdanovic or Danilo Gallinari to take back Tobias Harris' salary. That plus picks and swaps (if necessary) makes for an intriguing framework.
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#100 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:17 am

Latest NBA Trade Intel

Hawks, Simmons and Reddish

Atlanta is one of the teams chasing Simmons, but the Sixers haven't prioritized Collins and weren't interested in Cam Reddish.

The Hawks recently moved Solomon Hill with Reddish, dealing him to the New York Knicks for Kevin Knox and a first-round selection (via the Hornets)...some competing executives believe Atlanta got the first to try to sweeten a play for Simmons.

If Philadelphia doesn't get some of its top targets, getting off of Tobias Harris' contract could make second-tier choices more palatable. Simmons ($33 million this season) and Harris ($36 million) are expensive players on multi-year deals. How many teams even have the means to take on nearly $70 million of incoming salary?

While the Los Angeles Lakers and Houston Rockets can get a lot of the way there with Russell Westbrook or John Wall, neither is believed to be appealing to the 76ers.

The Hawks have several players that could reach enough outgoing salary like Danilo Gallinari, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Delon Wright, Lou Williams and Collins. Atlanta also has all of its own first-round picks, a fake Oklahoma City Thunder 2022 first (with lottery protections likely to make it a pair of seconds instead) and the recently-acquired Charlotte selection.

Even then, the Sixers may not have the appetite to take on the entire $125 million contract Collins signed in August. The Mavericks could make a play for Collins to help facilitate a multi-team trade or work a two-team deal with the Hawks. The challenge remains to find enough value for Philadelphia to make that leap.

The Simmons saga has a lot of moving pieces. The Sixers may still wait until the offseason.
Bleacher Report

Return to Atlanta Hawks