Welcome to ATL DeAndre Hunter!

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: Welcome to ATL DeAndre Hunter! 

Post#81 » by VCfor3 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:51 pm

You guys got a good one with Hunter. If he can keep developing with the rest of your core and you guys get a solid center, you could be making some runs in the playoffs before too long.

Memphis fans are hoping our young team can somewhat follow how you guys executed your rebuild. Atlanta is so fun to watch.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,677

Post#82 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 2, 2019 4:03 pm

Hunter D avg 13 ppg and 4 rpg on 39% 3-pt shooting for the month of November.

Lost amidst the 10 game losing streak is that the rookie has looked (occasionally) really good -- setting career highs in scoring, rebounds, assists and steals along the way.

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#83 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Dec 3, 2019 3:27 pm

An unfortunate thing to happen on your birthday.

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#84 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:00 pm

Read on Twitter
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Post#85 » by Radioblacktive1 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:07 am

Hate to say I don’t think Hunter will ever play up to the value we traded away for him.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#86 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:49 pm

So where do we stand on the DeAndre Hunter trade with a month left in the season?

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#87 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:07 am

Read on Twitter

No rookie played more minutes than De’Andre Hunter this season. The No. 4 pick in the draft was a regular fixture in the Hawks’ starting lineup right from opening night and was averaging 32.0 minutes, 12.3 points, 4.5 rebounds and 1.8 assists per game when the season was suspended on March 11.

You can see that Hunter ranked fairly high compared to the rest of the league in defensive versatility, but it was mostly leveraged down the positional scale.

Defense, which was supposed to be the most reliably translatable part of Hunter’s NBA-ready skill set, didn’t really show up as expected this season...the [most] concerning issue was how ineffective he was as a defender overall.

All-in-one defensive metrics have plenty of blindspots but they’re useful as an estimate..538’s RAPTOR estimated Hunter’s defensive impact to be tied for 21st among the 33 rookies who played at least 500 minutes this season. Playing as part of a defense that was generally ineffective overall and featured several high-profile weak links (see: Young, Trae) is a factor but fellow Hawks’ rookie Cam Reddish ranked 11th on the same list with an estimated impact that was essentially league averaged for players of all experience levels.

The Hawks may not have gotten exactly what they were hoping for from Hunter’s rookie season but he showed plenty of positives and struggled in areas that are easily explainable and understandable. Although defense has become the biggest question mark, the idea of him as a solid role player on a good team seems just as plausible as it did a few months ago and he should have plenty of well-defined developmental goals heading into his second season.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,165

Post#88 » by HMFFL » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:13 am

Q&A

De'Andre Hunter Details Growing Up and His Journey to the NBA

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/nba/2020/03/29/deandre-hunter-hawks-docuseries

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#89 » by Jamaaliver » Sun May 24, 2020 12:00 am

jayu70
RealGM
And1: 12,002

Post#90 » by jayu70 » Sun Jul 5, 2020 8:03 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#91 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:57 pm

Q. Everyone said Hunter was a low ceiling, high-floor player. Is that still the case?

Chris Kirchner: I think that’s still the case. What I saw from Hunter in his rookie season showed me that he should be a fine rotational player for the years to come. I don’t think he’s “Baby Kawhi,” as Alex Len said back in training camp. But Hunter should be a dependable long-term starter.

He shot 35.5 percent from 3-point range on nearly five attempts per game, which is an encouraging start for his career. I don’t think it’s out of the question that he can be a consistent 38 or 39 percent 3-point shooter. He has to get better at finishing at the rim, and he has to get better with his playmaking for his ceiling to rise, in my opinion. His defense also wasn’t as good as was advertised coming out of Virginia. He basically was an average defender, which is, again, OK, because he was a rookie. Because the Hawks were so bad defensively the year before, the expectations, particularly defensively, on him this season were probably too aggressive.

I do believe the Hawks should consider Hunter’s long-term position at the four because he’s just not the quickest player who showed the ability to lock down those guards on the perimeter. I don’t think it was a coincidence that the Hawks’ best lineup featured Hunter at the four and Collins at the five.

Ultimately, I do think he has the lowest ceiling out of the “Core Five” group.
The Athletic
Bluvelvet84
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#92 » by Bluvelvet84 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:14 am

I agree about him being a perfect fit at the 4. He has all the tools to be a real good defender sooner rather than later. Add some strength/8-10 pounds, and become a PF version of prime Trevor Ariza. I would consider that starter worthy talent that would be needed as a glue piece on the 2nd unit as he fully develops.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#93 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:57 am

Bluvelvet84 wrote:I agree about him being a perfect fit at the 4. He has all the tools to be a real good defender sooner rather than later. Add some strength/8-10 pounds, and become a PF version of prime Trevor Ariza. I would consider that starter worthy talent that would be needed as a glue piece on the 2nd unit as he fully develops.

Yeah, I think that leads to another inevitable question:

Which Center is he best positioned to play alongside?

A defensive rim runner like Capela?
Or an offensive floor stretcher like Collins?
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Post#94 » by Radioblacktive1 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:16 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Bluvelvet84 wrote:I agree about him being a perfect fit at the 4. He has all the tools to be a real good defender sooner rather than later. Add some strength/8-10 pounds, and become a PF version of prime Trevor Ariza. I would consider that starter worthy talent that would be needed as a glue piece on the 2nd unit as he fully develops.

Yeah, I think that leads to another inevitable question:

Which Center is he best positioned to play alongside?

A defensive rim runner like Capela?
Or an offensive floor stretcher like Collins?

I’m gonna predict defensive rim runner would be best. He’s a decent shooter and I doubt he’ll want to make that much noise in the paint but if he wants, I think he has enough of a handle and the speed to beat opposing 4s to the rim and he also has enough passing ability to dump off or lob it up to the center when/before he gets there. I think if he becomes a reliable finisher at the rim it makes it even better. Decently easy buckets for us. Defensively, I think if he’s mostly beat, he has the ability to slow down his opponent enough for that defensive C to rotate over in time and protect the rim. Just my prediction.
Bluvelvet84
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#95 » by Bluvelvet84 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:40 am

Capella would mesh well with Hunter at the 4. Capella is set to take a lot of JC's easy pnr buckets. Both Hunter and collins will have to continue evolving as shooters for this lineup to make sense. The more I think about it, Schlenk is taking the wait and see approach until next off-season to determine whether Collins can be a true spacer like Bosh.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#96 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:54 am

Bluvelvet84 wrote:Capella would mesh well with Hunter at the 4. Capella is set to take a lot of JC's easy pnr buckets. Both Hunter and collins will have to continue evolving as shooters for this lineup to make sense. The more I think about it, Schlenk is taking the wait and see approach until next off-season to determine whether Collins can be a true spacer like Bosh.

There’s one L in Capela. Thou must spell correctly to be taken seriously.

-Confucius
jayu70
RealGM

Post#97 » by jayu70 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:17 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#98 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:47 pm

This, ultimately, the type of impact we're hoping for Hunter D -- hard nosed defense on one end and efficient offense on the other:

Read on Twitter
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#99 » by Spud2nique » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:58 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:This, ultimately, the type of impact we're hoping for Hunter D -- hard nosed defense on one end and efficient offense on the other:

Read on Twitter

OG was my target for us that year. Him and Semi O.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#100 » by jayu70 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:48 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Return to Atlanta Hawks