ImageImage

How can ATL best utilize the new Young-Murray backcourt?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Which backcourt is the best model for Trae and Dejounte?

Isaiah Tomas and Joe Dumars
38%
Eric Snow and Allen Iverson
15%
Derek Fisher and Kobe Bryant
No votes
Rajon Rondo and Ray Allen
23%
Chris Paul and Devin Booker
23%

Total votes: 13

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,692

Re: How can ATL best utilize the new Young-Murray backcourt? 

Post#101 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:27 pm

hawks_fan25 wrote:I'd honestly rather build around DJM.

If DJM leaves, we are in full rebuild mode whether we like it or not.

IDK, man. As good as he's been -- he's not shown the ability to lead a high level offense yet.

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#102 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:39 pm

Atlanta's Dynamic Duo figuring things out?Image

Atlanta is 6-2 in its last eight games, and the team seems to be figuring out the division of labor between Trae Young and Dejounte Murray.

For the season, the Hawks are plus-4.0 points per 100 possessions when both are on the floor and minus-5.2 when either or both are off.

Perhaps more importantly, after shooting 31.2 percent on threes when sharing the floor with Murray through his first 26 games, Young is canning a near-league-average 35.6 percent of his triples when sharing the floor with Atlanta's other primary ball-handler.
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#103 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Feb 1, 2023 6:28 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#104 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Feb 1, 2023 6:05 pm

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#105 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 2, 2023 9:52 am

On a tear.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#106 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:06 pm

Trae seems to have made the adjustment...

Read on Twitter
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,626

Post#107 » by atlantabbq99 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:04 pm

Trea and DM are fine, its Collins thats the problem. Collins has not been able to live up on his end as being the #3 of the Hawks' big 3. With Collin's contract, he needs to be producing at least on the same level as Sabonis
D21
Lead Assistant
And1: 666

Post#108 » by D21 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:02 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:Trea and DM are fine, its Collins thats the problem. Collins has not been able to live up on his end as being the #3 of the Hawks' big 3. With Collin's contract, he needs to be producing at least on the same level as Sabonis

If he really was the problem, he wouldn't have been the best Net rating of the team most of the season, simply impossible.
And Sabonis doesn't have a center next to him receiving sometimes more balls than him
I really don't care of Collins or any other personal stats compared to their contract as long as they are dominating the opponents when playing.

There was no problem with Capela and Collins in the team that reach the ECF, it's the coaching that has changed
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#109 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:07 pm

Trae actually putting in some effort this year on the defensive end -- it helps to have a strong defensive lineup around him, as well.

Read on Twitter
Spoiler:
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 12,010

Post#110 » by jayu70 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:12 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Trae actually putting in some effort this year on the defensive end -- it helps to have a strong defensive lineup around him, as well.

Read on Twitter

Trae will never be a world beater on defense, just need his focus and EFFORT on a consistent basis.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,199

Post#111 » by HMFFL » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:13 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:Trea and DM are fine, its Collins thats the problem. Collins has not been able to live up on his end as being the #3 of the Hawks' big 3. With Collin's contract, he needs to be producing at least on the same level as Sabonis
Collins field goal attempts have declined to 10 attempts per game. He has been closer to a 40% three point shooter in the past.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#112 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:37 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#113 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:04 pm

Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,013

Post#114 » by Geaux_Hawks » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:54 pm

D21 wrote:

If he really was the problem, he wouldn't have been the best Net rating of the team most of the season, simply impossible.
And Sabonis doesn't have a center next to him receiving sometimes more balls than him
I really don't care of Collins or any other personal stats compared to their contract as long as they are dominating the opponents when playing.

There was no problem with Capela and Collins in the team that reach the ECF, it's the coaching that has changed

Sabonis doesn't necessarily take a ton of shots though, and produces at a high level facilitating and rebounding, which is what I think he was referring to.
D21
Lead Assistant

Post#115 » by D21 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:29 pm

Geaux_Hawks wrote:
D21 wrote:

Sabonis doesn't necessarily take a ton of shots though, and produces at a high level facilitating and rebounding, which is what I think he was referring to.

I see, but Sabonis has 20.9 USG%, compared to Collins' 17 USG%, and we know that when John has a USG% of more than 18, the team is winning a lot.
The problem of this team is that we saw things that lead to a W, we saw other things that lead to a L, but for a reason they decided to not use only what is working good, or act like they even didn't notice it.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#116 » by Geaux_Hawks » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:46 pm

D21 wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:
D21 wrote:

I see, but Sabonis has 20.9 USG%, compared to Collins' 17 USG%, and we know that when John has a USG% of more than 18, the team is winning a lot.
The problem of this team is that we saw things that lead to a W, we saw other things that lead to a L, but for a reason they decided to not use only what is working good, or act like they even didn't notice it.

I mean that's still not a significant amount. Sabonis is producing like his USG is 25+. He's actually at his lowest USG since his rookie season, and still producing a career year for himself.
D21
Lead Assistant

Post#117 » by D21 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:31 am

Geaux_Hawks wrote:
D21 wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:

I mean that's still not a significant amount. Sabonis is producing like his USG is 25+. He's actually at his lowest USG since his rookie season, and still producing a career year for himself.

Totally agree on him producing more than the average player with the same USG%.
But we have to look at what opponent produce also. Now, Sabonis is great but Collins, even if not as good as him, can be really good with just a bit more usage.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#118 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:53 pm

D21 wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:
D21 wrote:

But we have to look at what opponent produce also. Now, Sabonis is great but Collins, even if not as good as him, can be really good with just a bit more usage.

I understand where you're trying to go here, but the question then becomes, does a higher USG of JC really equate to winning basketball? Because based on the arbitrary USG% of 18, it suggests we only need to give JC 2-3 additional plays, and we should be winning more games.

We've lost games by more than just 2-3 possessions. I mean take Draymond Green for instance. Not the best shooter or scorer, but he's still a key cog for GS and what they're trying to do on offense. USG% is even lower than JC, but he's one of the best passing bigs and can create for others.

I'm genuinely asking what more can Collins actually do that we aren't getting from him other than being a heavy PnR threat?
D21
Lead Assistant

Post#119 » by D21 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:21 am

Geaux_Hawks wrote:
D21 wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:

I understand where you're trying to go here, but the question then becomes, does a higher USG of JC really equate to winning basketball? Because based on the arbitrary USG% of 18, it suggests we only need to give JC 2-3 additional plays, and we should be winning more games.

We've lost games by more than just 2-3 possessions. I mean take Draymond Green for instance. Not the best shooter or scorer, but he's still a key cog for GS and what they're trying to do on offense. USG% is even lower than JC, but he's one of the best passing bigs and can create for others.

I'm genuinely asking what more can Collins actually do that we aren't getting from him other than being a heavy PnR threat?

I'm still not sure but I don't think that it works like "giving him 2 or 3 more balls and we win more games" because like you said, some L are by more than that.
It's more about a way of playing the game, and the difference on John extends to the team. Last season, the team won a lot of games when he was shooting 2 or 3 times from the 3pts line, and lost a lot when shooting only 0 or 1, or 4 or more: you can translate it by "when he shoots two or three 3s, it's that he's used both near and far away from the basket" and when you alternate things, have more movement, it's often easier to win.

So it's not basically giving him 2 or 3 more shots, it's that when it happens, it was most of time when the team was playing its best bball with more movement.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#120 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Mar 7, 2023 4:20 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks