Dwight Howard
30%

Total votes: 20

SportsGuru08
Pro Prospect
And1: 724

Better peak defender: Mutombo vs Howard 

Post#1 » by SportsGuru08 » Mon May 6, 2024 2:56 am

Which of these centers had a better defensive peak?
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,593

Re: Better peak defender: Mutombo vs Howard 

Post#2 » by 70sFan » Mon May 6, 2024 6:52 am

I think Mutombo is on the short list of top tier defenders ever at his peak and Howard is not on that level.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,694

Post#3 » by tsherkin » Mon May 6, 2024 1:51 pm

70sFan wrote:I think Mutombo is on the short list of top tier defenders ever at his peak and Howard is not on that level.

Is there anything behind that? Howard had the Magic as -6.4, -4.3 and -5.3 defenses at his peak, and that was on teams with like Rashard Lewis, Hedo Turkoglu, Jameer Nelson and so forth. Not like he was surrounded by premium defensive additions. In Denver, Mutombo had one -4.0 team. In Atlanta, he had the 99 Hawks at -5.1 in the shortened season. Philly was -4.1 in 01 and 02. The 03 Nets were -5.5, though he was with Kidd and Martin and only a 21 mpg player for like a quarter of the season.

A rude, 20,000-foot examination to be sure, but as a starting point, yes? What makes you look at Mutombo's defense as so much greater than Howard's, particularly when he was noticeably less mobile?
henshao
Pro Prospect
And1: 443

Post#4 » by henshao » Mon May 6, 2024 3:21 pm

In a small way, Howard's mobility undercut him a little bit compared to Deke, as I recall it Dwight like the Admiral had this stellar quickness but crafty players would use it against him when he so eagerly bit on their first move. Deke was more of a pillar which combined with his innate height and reach served him the other direction
Smoothbutta
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#5 » by Smoothbutta » Mon May 6, 2024 4:55 pm

From RAPM and also defense stats on nba.com it backs up the notion that Dwight Howard is a bit overrated as a defender compared to how many DPOYs he has (3 is a lot obviously). Looked at DFG%, deflections, # box outs, shots contested.. but granted it wasn't quite at his peak.

A better question might be at their peak who was a better defender between Dwight and Ewing, and Dwight may win that one.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,593

Post#6 » by 70sFan » Fri May 10, 2024 7:14 pm

tsherkin wrote:Is there anything behind that? Howard had the Magic as -6.4, -4.3 and -5.3 defenses at his peak, and that was on teams with like Rashard Lewis, Hedo Turkoglu, Jameer Nelson and so forth. Not like he was surrounded by premium defensive additions. In Denver, Mutombo had one -4.0 team. In Atlanta, he had the 99 Hawks at -5.1 in the shortened season. Philly was -4.1 in 01 and 02. The 03 Nets were -5.5, though he was with Kidd and Martin and only a 21 mpg player for like a quarter of the season.

A rude, 20,000-foot examination to be sure, but as a starting point, yes? What makes you look at Mutombo's defense as so much greater than Howard's, particularly when he was noticeably less mobile?

I often wonder why people ignore Howard's impact footprint, even those who usually take that into account. Howard's Magic have massive DRtg in the RS, but somehow the RAPM metrics never paint him as the top tier defensive player. I think we underrate Orlando's overall defense when we apply all the success for Howard.

Why do I think Mutombo was better? He's at worst top 5 rim protector ever, while being significantly more mobile than people give him credit for. Howard was more mobile, but he was also noticeably shorter and less intimidating inside. Deke wasn't Ben Wallace on switches, but people couldn't take advantage of his mobility at all, especially in his 1990s years. Mutombo also remained the quality contributor on defensive end till the end of his career, something you can't really tell about Howard (outside one Lakers year).
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,694

Post#7 » by tsherkin » Fri May 10, 2024 7:28 pm

70sFan wrote:I think we underrate Orlando's overall defense when we apply all the success for Howard.

It's quite possible.

Why do I think Mutombo was better? He's at worst top 5 rim protector ever, while being significantly more mobile than people give him credit for. Howard was more mobile, but he was also noticeably shorter and less intimidating inside. Deke wasn't Ben Wallace on switches, but people couldn't take advantage of his mobility at all, especially in his 1990s years. Mutombo also remained the quality contributor on defensive end till the end of his career, something you can't really tell about Howard (outside one Lakers year).

Fair points, all.

Return to Player Comparisons