2024 76’ers: Replace Embiid w/ Peak Hakeem

Moderators: Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal

How far do the Sixers go w/ Peak Hakeem?

1st Round
No votes
2nd Round
8%
ECF
25%
Finals
8%
Win Title
58%

Total votes: 12

OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Re: 2024 76’ers: Replace Embiid w/ Peak Hakeem 

Post#21 » by OhayoKD » Sun May 5, 2024 6:41 pm

tsherkin wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:The argument would be that bigs get injured more in this iteration of the league due to covering more ground and faster pace(I think KG said that on a pod)

That would make sense relative to a big who was considerably less mobile than Dream... but he was already doing face-up dribble attack with spins, triple-threat drives, and was one of the most active bigs at contesting shots in space and creating deflections, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

is AD considerably less mobile than Dream?
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,698

Post#22 » by tsherkin » Sun May 5, 2024 6:45 pm

OhayoKD wrote:is AD considerably less mobile than Dream?

Is AD a good example of the league environment/style of play, or of an injury-prone player?

Or perhaps Dream is simply the outlier, that's also possible. But given what he actually did and how he actually played, relative to Embiid, I am considerably more comfortable in his health.
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,432

Post#23 » by AEnigma » Sun May 5, 2024 6:50 pm

Owly wrote:
AEnigma wrote:You are characteristically overcomplicating a simple concept. This thread is about replacing Embiid with peak Hakeem. Tsherkin called Hakeem a “far worse playmaker”. I said that sentiment seems to draw excessively from how he played before Rudy T — who was a much better offensive coach than Fitch and pertinently had a better understanding of how to build an offence around an all-time big in the absence of real perimetre talent (on which note I will say I have little interest in pretending it is a meaningful failing for 36-38-year-old Hakeem to dramatically scale back as a playmaker on a roster with Pippen/Barkley, Barkley/Francis, and peak Francis). And I also further emphasised the importance of coaching scheme on playmaking in this comparison by way of Nick Nurse giving Embiid heightened playmaking responsibilities in much the way Rudy T did for Hakeem.

If you think they both suddenly developed the talent to be lead offensive playmakers over a single offseason, then to me that would indeed speak to latent ability. And if you think they had the ability already as of some unspecified prior time, then it is even more apparently a product of schematic choices. Which brings us back to the question, exactly what part of this you find productive.

What was meaningful was ... what I said. Was Hakeem just not utilized or was he not good (or willing) at a thing. You asserted it solely as the former. I argued it wasn't. You object to this.

No, you read it solely as the former because you prefer to argue the latter. Hakeem showed he was capable of being utilised in that way, and utilised to such a degree of being “good” for a centre (and good enough to be the lead volume playmaker for a title team in 1994). I do not know how much earlier he could have been successfully utilised, but fortunately, this thread is not about the hypothetical playmaking of 1985 Hakeem under Nick Nurse.

Now you argue Hakeem "scaled back as a playmaker" playing with Pippen and Barkley as though he hadn't already played with Barkley and a wing star. You highlight well this is age 36 but you're seemingly only counting his years from age 30 so ... sure if only age 30-35 are a viable means of assessing what one can do in their twenties...

Then too "scaling back" ... this isn't subtle ... his usage is up on the previous year so it's not like he isn't getting the ball, he's got this coach....

Uh huh. In observing that 1999 usage increase, did you happen to notice that the team lost its top two highest shot rate players? And its fourth highest shot rate player? And that Pippen had a lower shot rate than all of them?

There is a difference between being asked to play within an offence and being asked to shoulder a team-high scoring load when other options suddenly become scarce.

There's a large chunk of his career where he's seeing the ball quite a bit and the superficial indicators are he isn't creating much for others. The simplistic dual framing of "sudden development = latent ability" or "already there and unshown by scheme" ignores complexity.

Embiid is not making complex reads either. Please keep track of the comparison rather than just focusing on a preset diatribe.

What of willingness?

What of it? Are you under the impression all player habits are a matter of conscious will?

What of slow progression whilst remaining at an unremarkable level then a confluence of factors relating to scheme and circumstance and experience and willingness/motivation and greater motivation in working on improving this weakness.

Oh, you mean the confluence of factors that distinguishes peak Hakeem as a playmaker from his younger self? A confluence of factors that all applies to Embiid suddenly bursting onto the scene as a centrepiece playmaker just as Hakeem did?

Once again, I ask what purpose at all you have in continuing this conversation.

And why is this one spell the best read of what he could do earlier than ... what he actually did.

It is not inherently the best read, but you have been wholly unable to articulate any specific physical evolution that transformed Hakeem into a capable playmaker in a way that was previously impossible.

One could just as well argue Isaiah Thomas put up a 6.7 BPM season so he could always have done so.

There are better uses of my time than engaging with bad faith non-sequiturs. If you are this bored, I am sure you will find some willing partners on the General Board.
Doc MJ wrote:This is one of your trademark data-based arguments in which I sigh, go over to basketballreference, and then see all the ways you cherrypicked the data toward your prejudiced beliefs rather than actually using them to inform you
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,025

Post#24 » by Owly » Sun May 5, 2024 7:41 pm

AEnigma wrote:
Owly wrote:
AEnigma wrote:You are characteristically overcomplicating a simple concept. This thread is about replacing Embiid with peak Hakeem. Tsherkin called Hakeem a “far worse playmaker”. I said that sentiment seems to draw excessively from how he played before Rudy T — who was a much better offensive coach than Fitch and pertinently had a better understanding of how to build an offence around an all-time big in the absence of real perimetre talent (on which note I will say I have little interest in pretending it is a meaningful failing for 36-38-year-old Hakeem to dramatically scale back as a playmaker on a roster with Pippen/Barkley, Barkley/Francis, and peak Francis). And I also further emphasised the importance of coaching scheme on playmaking in this comparison by way of Nick Nurse giving Embiid heightened playmaking responsibilities in much the way Rudy T did for Hakeem.

If you think they both suddenly developed the talent to be lead offensive playmakers over a single offseason, then to me that would indeed speak to latent ability. And if you think they had the ability already as of some unspecified prior time, then it is even more apparently a product of schematic choices. Which brings us back to the question, exactly what part of this you find productive.

What was meaningful was ... what I said. Was Hakeem just not utilized or was he not good (or willing) at a thing. You asserted it solely as the former. I argued it wasn't. You object to this.

No, you read it solely as the former because you prefer to argue the latter.

Feels like Hakeem gets penalised because he was not used as a team playmaker for the first half of his career,

You putting forth Hakeem's non-passing solely as result of utilization. You only talk about utilization. And, fwiw, the point is much different if it comes with "which was inially correct given his inexperience".

The versus Embiid is a strawman. It is a broad contextual background to your comment but not at the core of whether Hakeem was willing and able and merely mis-utilized.

Uh huh. In observing that 1999 usage increase, did you happen to notice that the team lost its top two highest shot rate players? And its fourth highest shot rate player? And that Pippen had a lower shot rate than all of them?

Right ... so we've gone from the idea that he can't be a playmaker playing next to Pippen and Barkley, despite Barkley being there before to what ... ? That he can't be a playmaker without Clyde Drexler and Kevin Willis he needs to bump his usage up?

There is a difference between being asked to be play within an offence and being asked to shoulder a higher scoring load when other options suddenly become scarce.

What of willingness?

What of it? Are you under the impression all player habits are a matter of conscious will?

Why must everything be "all" with you? No. I am raising the possibility he may have been an unwilling passer. There are allusions to the possibility in '93 after his improvement, for instance (again per Cohn)
Hakeem could always score, rebound and block shots... Now he's finally clued in to the fact he could help his team by distributing the ball

That isn't necessarily saying unwilling, it could be saying he legit thought the shooting through aggressive coverage (e.g. the cited triple teams) was the best thing ... then it's more a shot at his BBIQ at that time.

One could just as well argue Isaiah Thomas put up a 6.7 BPM season so he could always have done so.

There are better uses of my time than engaging with bad faith non-sequiturs. If you are this bored, I am sure you will find some willing partners on the General Board.[/quote]
There's nothing bad faith about it, nor non-sequitur for that matter. Your oversimplification could equally have applied to Thomas. The "sudden development = latent ability" or "already there and unshown by scheme" as the only alternates could just as well apply to Thomas. It isn't to say the situations are perfectly analogous but it fits your "one thing or the other" framing just fine.
Tomtolbert
Sophomore
And1: 184

Post#25 » by Tomtolbert » Sun May 5, 2024 7:55 pm

The poll is missing a lose in Finals option, unless if the OP meant to combine the 2 options.
Matt15
Assistant Coach
And1: 501

Post#26 » by Matt15 » Sun May 5, 2024 8:32 pm

Tomtolbert wrote:The poll is missing a lose in Finals option, unless if the OP meant to combine the 2 options.

Fixed
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,432

Post#27 » by AEnigma » Sun May 5, 2024 8:36 pm

Owly wrote:
AEnigma wrote:
Owly wrote:What was meaningful was ... what I said. Was Hakeem just not utilized or was he not good (or willing) at a thing. You asserted it solely as the former. I argued it wasn't. You object to this.

Feels like Hakeem gets penalised because he was not used as a team playmaker for the first half of his career,

You putting forth Hakeem's non-passing solely as result of utilization.

Please bold the word solely for me.

I have repeatedly said there is no set image of what would look like with earlier utilisation. You are either not paying attention or engaging in bad faith. Although maybe I should leave open the possibility for both.

You only talk about utilization.

Which is not the same thing as saying it is a sole result — and the ludicrous suggestion that every possibility must be addressed, lest some reader think there is an invisible “only” at play, also lends itself to a conclusion of bad faith intent.

And, fwiw, the point is much different if it comes with "which was inially correct given his inexperience".

No, and for future reference, I tend not to write out of concern for possible pedantic misinterpretation.

The versus Embiid is a strawman.

No, it is literally the thread topic and the subject of Tsherkin’s comment.

A strawman is attacking a position that was not made, such as arguing against the unstated idea that the only possible difference was utilisation.

It is a broad contextual background to your comment but not at the core of whether Hakeem was willing and able and merely mis-utilized.

Unfortunately you have continued to not bother exploring either. Again, as soon as you come up with an explanation as to the magical change wholly independent of Rudy T that gave Hakeem the sudden and previously inconceivable ability to playmake effectively, please edify us. Until then, this is offering nothing more than a conversational derail.

Uh huh. In observing that 1999 usage increase, did you happen to notice that the team lost its top two highest shot rate players? And its fourth highest shot rate player? And that Pippen had a lower shot rate than all of them? There is a difference between being asked to be play within an offence and being asked to shoulder a higher scoring load when other options suddenly become scarce.

Right ... so we've gone from the idea that he can't be a playmaker playing next to Pippen and Barkley, despite Barkley being there before to what ... ? That he can't be a playmaker without Clyde Drexler and Kevin Willis he needs to bump his usage up?

More strawmen. Who said cannot? You are the one caught up on projected inability. My sole stance is that I do not think Hakeem forgot how to pass during a now extended offseason and that the logical place to start when confronted with some box score implication of suddenly forgotten skill would be to consider a change in scheme or team approach.

What of willingness?

Why must everything be "all" with you? No. I am raising the possibility he may have been an unwilling passer. There are allusions to the possibility in '93 after his improvement, for instance (again per Cohn)
Hakeem could always score, rebound and block shots... Now he's finally clued in to the fact he could help his team by distributing the ball

That isn't necessarily saying unwilling, it could be saying he legit thought the shooting through aggressive coverage (e.g. the cited triple teams) was the best thing ... then it's more a shot at his BBIQ at that time.

And whose job is it to demystify those “incorrect” impressions?

He may have been unwilling. He may have been unconfident. He may have been mechanically incapable. He may have been too damn stupid apparently, like anyone who does not take the mathematically correct basketball action at any given moment.

What is not a may is that Rudy T took over and suddenly none of that seemed to prevent him from being an effective playmaker. Still seeing zero constructive purpose to any of this.

There are better uses of my time than engaging with bad faith non-sequiturs. If you are this bored, I am sure you will find some willing partners on the General Board.

There's nothing bad faith about it,

Highly doubtful.

nor non-sequitur for that matter.

Wrong.

Your oversimplification could equally have applied to Thomas.

Wrong.

The "sudden development = latent ability" or "already there and unshown by scheme" as the only alternates could just as well apply to Thomas.

In a deliberately absurdist bad faith extrapolation of possibility, sure. In an honest assessment, no.

To the extent this could have ever been a sincere attempt to engage, there is no one specific element of Thomas’s 2017 that was impossible to envision based on prior production. It was the conflation of a one-season scoring explosion across the board that was sudden, not “increasing shot volume” in isolation or “shooting x%” in isolation.

It isn't to say the situations are perfectly analogous

They are analogous in the sense that both gesture at basketball improvement. Which makes for a **** analogy absent anything more.

but it fits your "one thing or the other" framing just fine.

Wrong, and outright misrepresentative — which of course furthers my confidence in this entire bad faith effort at a derail.

You continue to have nothing to offer to the thread topic.
Doc MJ wrote:This is one of your trademark data-based arguments in which I sigh, go over to basketballreference, and then see all the ways you cherrypicked the data toward your prejudiced beliefs rather than actually using them to inform you
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#28 » by OhayoKD » Sun May 5, 2024 9:44 pm

Owly wrote:
AEnigma wrote:
Owly wrote:What was meaningful was ... what I said. Was Hakeem just not utilized or was he not good (or willing) at a thing. You asserted it solely as the former. I argued it wasn't. You object to this.

You putting forth Hakeem's non-passing solely as result of utilization.

Could you quote what you're referring to. I didn't see anything in Enigma's comment implying "solely" anywhere.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
Ol Roy
Sophomore
And1: 147

Post#29 » by Ol Roy » Sun May 5, 2024 10:21 pm

I think David Robinson is easier to theoretically plug in. His face-up game with extra spacing would kill.

Embiid relies a lot on fouls and draws them on 55% of his shots. Robinson was at 58% (a nose hair below Shaq), Hakeem at 36%.

I've always been impressed with Robinson's passing. He was willing, strong, and accurate with good court vision especially from the high part of the court. But he didn't really have a system (or shooting teammates) that properly utilized it.

Hard to say how he'd do with 3-point shooting. He seemed to figure something out at his peak, shooting 10-29 (35%) in 94, 6-20 (30%) in 95, and 3-9 (33%) in 96. Not a great sample size, but it's something.

Really, I'd like to see him get to play with a high-level playmaker like Maxey (or Harden before him). We'd probably look at Shaq a lot differently had he not played with Penny, Kobe, Wade... and even Nash, LeBron, and Rondo at the end. The best thing you can give an elite finisher is an elite distributor. Without one, you are leaving a lot on the table.
SportsGuru08
Pro Prospect
And1: 744

Post#30 » by SportsGuru08 » Mon May 6, 2024 2:45 am

At minimum, a Finals appearance. Mostly because Hakeem didn't have a knack for vanishing in the postseason as much as Embiid has.

Hakeem sure as hell ain't vanishing with Isiah Hartenstein guarding him for long stretches.

Return to Player Comparisons